[1.1.3] Surface Experiment Pack - EVA science for KIS/KAS (v1.4.2 6/30/2016) *Now with less explosions*

AlbertKermin

Was able to confirm that the update worked, so...
SEP v1.4.2
CaSXf6h.png  XOJtqQR.png

Changelog:
-Possible fix for exploding experiments
-Two new power connectors

So, basically there was a number in the KIS configuration for parts that determined the strength of the attachment force when attaching to static objects (IE, the ground, and KSC buildings). For the KIS Ground Base, the breaking force was set to 2000. For SEP, all the parts were at *10*. Or, IIRC, right around the force of gravity, not including any external factors (such as physics jitter). I never saw this value, since I wasn't looking very closely at the KIS modules on the parts, as I expected to find the issues elsewhere. Now I don't have to see screenshots of y'all lugging giant ugly concrete slabs to the Mun, and you can bury the experiments in the dirt where they belong!

I also included the two new power connectors that were kicking around. One is just a linear connector, so that the more enterprising users can extend the range of their setups, and the other is a simple four way connector, that is lighter, smaller, and cheaper than the power station, at the cost of not having batteries.

@AlbertKermin, if you could please update the OP and the thread title? Feel free to embed those download images in the OP with the links if you'd like, I made them for BDB. Also, we need to connect on your minimod project some time.

Edited by CobaltWolf

51 minutes ago, VaPaL said:

NO MORE CONCRETE BASES!!!!!

Awesome! Downloading!! Can't wait until friday to try this out!

Thanks for your work man!

Eh, honestly, it was such a little thing that I've overlooked for damn near 6 months now. I genuinely offer my sincerest apologies for making so many players frustrated for that long.

8 hours ago, Kadrush said:

Is it going to be on ckan? my older version is from there

Its indexed, but it wont show up until its dependencies are all updated, due to a bug in CKANs display logic (should still be in the all filter, but is not).

At this point I think that just means KIS needs to be marked as compatible.

6 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Eh, honestly, it was such a little thing that I've overlooked for damn near 6 months now. I genuinely offer my sincerest apologies for making so many players frustrated for that long.

I apologize as well, since it was my stupid idea to set the connector strength so low.

5 hours ago, AlbertKermin said:

Also, @CobaltWolf- just shoot me a message next time we're both on Steam at the same time. Age of Empires II HD is eating way too much of my time these days :)

yeah? I played a lot of RTS games as a kid but I always sucked at them. I prefer turn based stuff.

EDIT:

Just want to repeat our call for an (experienced) programmer to join the team! If SEP had a dedicated plugin, we could do much more interesting/complex experiments than the current 'build a SEP and then run the experiments and leave'. Things like @Rafael acevedo's KRABEE/KABLOOEY/LOSE-IT can't be implemented as intended with DMSA.

Edited by CobaltWolf

6 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

yeah? I played a lot of RTS games as a kid but I always sucked at them. I prefer turn based stuff.

EDIT:

Just want to repeat our call for an (experienced) programmer to join the team! If SEP had a dedicated plugin, we could do much more interesting/complex experiments than the current 'build a SEP and then run the experiments and leave'. Things like @Rafael acevedo's KRABEE/KABLOOEY/LOSE-IT can't be implemented as intended with DMSA.

I suggest we reach out to dmagic his mod also includes a two part experiment surface seismic hammer and probe. I believe the coding will be similar 

3 hours ago, Rafael acevedo said:

I suggest we reach out to dmagic his mod also includes a two part experiment surface seismic hammer and probe. I believe the coding will be similar 

We already run an offshoot of @DMagic's science plugin but I don't believe we can run one experiment, and then run another ONLY after the first has run. DMagic, I haven't actually had a chance to use your seismic parts. Is that possible? If it is, I don't believe you've pushed that functionality to DMSA.

EDIT: Far UV Telescope and Atmospheric Analysis Package.

k5MLA4G.png

SYjDNQE.png

Edited by CobaltWolf

Hi loving the mod.

I have one problem though, I cannot seem to make the Central Station attach to the ground. I Have tried using the wrench and the drill to no effect. All the other objects work and I cannot push them about by walking into them like I can with the Central Station. Is this normal or am I doing something wrong? 

I'm using version 1.1.3 of KSP and version 1.4.2 of this mod.

1 hour ago, I3laze said:

Hi loving the mod.

I have one problem though, I cannot seem to make the Central Station attach to the ground. I Have tried using the wrench and the drill to no effect. All the other objects work and I cannot push them about by walking into them like I can with the Central Station. Is this normal or am I doing something wrong? 

I'm using version 1.1.3 of KSP and version 1.4.2 of this mod.

Apparently I missed the Central Station when I made the fixes. You can download the latest master from GitHub, or make this change to the marked line in the SEP_CentralStation.cfg in the parts folder:

MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleKISItem
		volumeOverride = 100
		stackable = false
		allowStaticAttach = 1
		staticAttachBreakForce = 2000 //<MAKE THIS ONE 2000, IT IS CURRENTLY 10 IN YOUR INSTALL
}

I got quite a bit of log spam from the Internal Heat Probe. This was a test just off the runway:

pAgKbPe.png

[F: 78324]: [SEP.IHP] Collision Enhancer Punch Through - vel: 9.137743E-09

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/UnityEngineDebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 64)

[F: 78324]: [SEP.IHP] Collision Enhancer Punch Through - vel: 9.137743E-09

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/UnityEngineDebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 64)

Removing static rigidbody and fixed joint on: SEP-T03 Interior Heat Probe

[SEP.IHP]: Deactivated

F is a counter so it was intense. about a minute to get to almost 80k...
A mini collider issue ? 

Hello again,

Has anyone tried using the experiment modules on minmus? 3 modules keep exploding when attaching to the surface. I cannot remember the names of them but I've add screenshots of the 3 modules.

C403B6E012EE80EB95E5857DBC70D8C9240A1117

B8659EF886240303B548FD0F100A44C5CDF1DD1C

F37AD0D2509859D645C78946DE39BC51FF46AA8E

Did not have this problem on the mun nor kerbin. 

Theses modules work no problem 

FE4031AE9CEA3B52B406616461954DF8DF2F0DD8

Edited by I3laze
Image correction

41 minutes ago, I3laze said:

Hello again,

Has anyone tried using the experiment modules on minmus? 3 modules keep exploding when attaching to the surface. I cannot remember the names of them but I've add screenshots of the 3 modules.

C403B6E012EE80EB95E5857DBC70D8C9240A1117

B8659EF886240303B548FD0F100A44C5CDF1DD1C

F37AD0D2509859D645C78946DE39BC51FF46AA8E

Did not have this problem on the mun nor kerbin. 

Theses modules work no problem 

FE4031AE9CEA3B52B406616461954DF8DF2F0DD8

I'll check it out.

4 minutes ago, I3laze said:

Sorry I'm confused with your reply. Your side project will be released this week or you mean a new fix for the 3 experiments exploding on minmus? 

Side project will be this week, and hopefully we will track down those issues soon. I know there's something different about those parts - they were extremely prone to exploding even compared to the other ones. I need to figure out why.