How to rescue somebody who's in orbit over Kerbin with only his spacesuit?

I hope this thread is in the right place here.

Currently I have a contract in the career mode which says "Rescue Edski Kerman from Kerbin".

Edski Kerman is orbiting Kerbin at about 100,000m with only his spacesuit on.

I flew to him with my spacesuit and I flew to him directly with my vessel but everytime it seems like he doesn't even want to get rescued.

There was no "grab"-action or something like that.

Has anybody ever completed this mission. If yes: how?

Edited by Geher

You'll have to switch to him by pressing "[" or "]", and then activate his RCS jetpack by pressing "R." I'm assuming you're within 2.5km; if not, you need to get closer or else you won't be able to switch to him.

You'll need to have a capsule that isn't full for him to get into. This could be an empty Mk.1 pod on a vehicle controlled by a probe body (or another pod), or a pod that can hold multiple kerbals, but isn't full. Once you've switched to the kerbal needing rescued and got him near the pod, you'll need to find the side with a ladder. Then, simply pilot him right next to the ladder, and a message should appear on screen telling you to press "F" to grab on. Climb up or down until it says you can board by pressing "F" again, and you've got him rescued. Just return him back to Kerbin alive to complete the contract.

Wait... I've had two ship rubbing up against my little lost Kerbin (Theos, I think his name was) AND switched to Theos' point of view.

NOTHING happened!

I even sent a ship up armed with a grabber and... it wouldn't grab him. :( Poor Theos.

So... I have to not only 'select' the stranded Kerbil? I have to 'arm' his thruster pack as well?

Thanks for the information. :)

The Kerbal needs to be immediately adjacent to the ladder to grab on, as well as facing it. Like, really, really close. Frequently I have issues getting a Kerbal to grab onto something, even when I know exactly where he needs to be. With three axes of movement, it's easy to be off by just a little bit.

Also, if you're using the plane style cockpit (I forget exactly which one) the door is on the right side, not left like you'd think. There's a totally decorative ladder on the left side that tricks everybody at least once.

First off, welcome to the forums! :)

Once your active craft is within physics range (~2.3km or so) of the rescuee, you can use the [ and ] keys to switch to him and EVA him to the craft like a regular kerbonaut.

Hope this helps!

Well, I tried to get close to the little guy. I switched to the orbital map, right-clicked on him for the "switch to" prompt and nothing happened; I wasn't allowed to switch.

using 'ALT GR + 8' for left bracket [ is not going to work. i dont have those characters alone in a key so i had to redefine those keys.

using orbital map to switch wont work.

using tracking station wont work.

the only thing that seems to work is using next vessel hotkey

WELCOME ABOARD!!

Anyway, there are 2 answers to your question:

1. Do what all above have suggested.

2. Ignore rescue contracts until you have researched the Advanced Grabbing Mechanism (aka AGM, aka "Claw" or "Klaw" in forum slang). Then put the AGM on your ship, rendezvous with the Kerbal, arm the AGM,. and ram the Kerbal with the AGM at whatever speed you feel appropriate. Then land. Profit :).

Dude, just take a deep breath, hold it in a while, then pour yourself a couple fingers of 16-year old Scotch. At least 90% of the questions asked in this forum have been asked countless times before (rendezvous, docking, amd spaceplanes make up the bulk I think), and in fact at least 50% of the time, there are at least 2 other threads on the exact same question on the 1st page at the time a new one appears. Nobody can be bothered to search, nobody can be bothered to read what's even on the 1st page here. So just accept that and deal with it, and welcome the new members, and pretend you've never heard this question countless times before.

Remember, there are no stupid questions, just stupid_chris, and the KSP community prides itself on being welcoming and helpful under any circumstances :)

Edited by Geschosskopf

Dude, just take a deep breath, hold it in a while, then pour yourself a couple fingers of 16-year old Scotch. At least 90% of the questions asked in this forum have been asked countless times before (rendezvous, docking, amd spaceplanes make up the bulk I think), and in fact at least 50% of the time, there are at least 2 other threads on the exact same question on the 1st page at the time a new one appears. Nobody can be bothered to search, nobody can be bothered to read what's even on the 1st page here. So just accept that and deal with it, and welcome the new members, and pretend you've never heard this question countless times before.

Remember, there are no stupid questions, just stupid_chris, and the KSP community prides itself on being welcoming and helpful under any circumstances :)

Thanks! I feel a bit stupid, because I got really mad and cancelled the contract :(

After thinking it out, I realized that having the intersect at about 90 degrees was too steep, so I thought that my approach should have been really obtuse. I guess I'll do that if the contract comes back sometime:wink:

using 'ALT GR + 8' for left bracket [ is not going to work. i dont have those characters alone in a key so i had to redefine those keys.

using orbital map to switch wont work.

using tracking station wont work.

the only thing that seems to work is using next vessel hotkey

For german keyboards it is `or ß

Well then, i guess you could join me in that scotch. I was just saying that there was another thread.

But if you felt like i was pointing fingers then im sorry for you, i wasnt.

For german keyboards it is `or ß

Thank you that was exactly what i needed!

Sorry. I did really use the search-function of this forum, but i guess i used it wrong.

But thank you all for your really friendly help!

Edited by Geher

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.