Duna Constellation mission pack. First V.10 rebuild craft pics (Altair lander)

Any updates?

Hey man, the two landers are mostly finished. I need to do more testing before they are 'Majorjim certified' though!

I am going to take a look at the DTV vehicle tonight to make a few changes. But I am mostly just waiting for v1.0 to come out. I'm worried about it changing things so building some stuff now is a waste.

All the lander functions are working well though. I am still trying to incorporate something cool. But again I have to wait for v1.0 before I start real work on it.

Still not sure about posting pics though..

How are you getting on?

Hey man, the two landers are mostly finished. I need to do more testing before they are 'Majorjim certified' though!

I am going to take a look at the DTV vehicle tonight to make a few changes. But I am mostly just waiting for v1.0 to come out. I'm worried about it changing things so building some stuff now is a waste.

All the lander functions are working well though. I am still trying to incorporate something cool. But again I have to wait for v1.0 before I start real work on it.

Still not sure about posting pics though..

How are you getting on?

Cool, keep up the good work!

Everything here is great, and my Laythe colony is now flourishing.

My first Moho probe is on arrival, hopefully it can make Orbit, if not, then it will be a Fly-by.

My new AAR/Fan Work/Story:

Laythien.

Helping out with/creating some ideas at the Endurance mod thread.

And working on loads of random little craft.

Yeah, all's good here!

Cool, keep up the good work!

Everything here is great, and my Laythe colony is now flourishing.

My first Moho probe is on arrival, hopefully it can make Orbit, if not, then it will be a Fly-by.

My new AAR/Fan Work/Story:

Laythien.

Helping out with/creating some ideas at the Endurance mod thread.

And working on loads of random little craft.

Yeah, all's good here!

I just checked it out, looking good man! I like good story telling. And I look forward to the pics!

I'm off to do more work on the rebuild. To the PC!

MJ, what sort of deorbiting systems does your landers have?

Hmm, The rebuild doesn't have that yet as I haven't made the aeroshells yet. As far as I am aware (from the video this mission is designed from) The aeroshells have some kind of retro rockets that lower their ap into the atmosphere.

I don't remember how I did it in the first version.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok time for another update.

I have started work on the Ares V launch vehicle and initial tests with a 45t payload are promising. The hab lander is over 50t so I will have to improve the launcher a bit.

I also did some tests with fairings as body for the Orion but it doesn't look very good at the moment. Also that 'stock first' thing I was working on isn't going to be in the constellation mission due to space issues in the landers but I will incorporate it into a future build.

The landers themselves are looking great. They are balanced now, fully loaded and tested to bits. Powered landing in them is possible but requires practice. The simpler way to land is to just use the engines to slow your descent under chutes. You don't want to lose either of the landers on your first mission!

The hab lander has a separate module which can be maneuvered into position to mimic the inflatable hab of the real proposed mission. I am planning to make a cool video of the mission this time too. I'm not sure how it will be but it will be fun to watch these craft fly!

I also redesigned the Copernicus transfer vehicle with a much lower part count and new look.

Sorry for the lack of pics but it will be worth the wait!

MJ

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

It's been a while since I posted any pics of anything so I have some of my Altair Lander for the moon portion of the constellation mission.

It took me about 6 hours over two days and I just finished certifying it for Mun missions. This is a highly detailed two Kerbal replica of the two stage Altair lander that would be used in the cancelled constellation mission. I am thinking about making all the cargo variants too for a Mun base with SPR rovers. Just as it was proposed.

The ascent module is RCS powered and has fuel for orbit and docking to the (unfnished) Orion in orbit. It will be launched atop the same Ares V launch vehicle used for the Mars mission vehicles.

This lander will give you an idea of the level of detail I am putting into this mission pack.

Thank you for looking and If you have questions ask away!

p.s there wont be a dl for this yet sadly as I want it to be part of the full pack when released.

MJ

Edited by Majorjim

I still think that the best part of this craft are the fairings. The stock fairings and their desintigration method of decoupling just seems like a joke.

It shows structural panel fairings are just as thesable and far more elegant upon separation.

Edited by Jon144

Hi all,

It's been a while since I posted any pics of anything so I have some of my Altair Lander for the moon portion of the constellation mission.

It took me about 6 hours over two days and I just finished certifying it for Mun missions. This is a highly detailed two Kerbal replica of the two stage Altair lander that would be used in the cancelled constellation mission. I am thinking about making all the cargo variants too for a Mun base with SPR rovers. Just as it was proposed.

The ascent module is RCS powered and has fuel for orbit and docking to the (unfnished) Orion in orbit. It will be launched atop the same Ares V launch vehicle used for the Mars mission vehicles.

This lander will give you an idea of the level of detail I am putting into this mission pack.

http://imgur.com/a/GBLak

Thank you for looking and If you have questions ask away!

p.s there wont be a dl for this yet sadly as I want it to be part of the full pack when released.

MJ

It's happening! The pack is returning!

Edited by DuoDex

Dude! That return lifter is beautiful! How did you make the black cover? Radar dishes? :confused: I wanna download! xD

yup backwards dishes it is, work great don't they! Thanks matey. You will have to wait for the whole pack to be released for a DL though.

- - - Updated - - -

Not half-bad. How many parts on the Altair, if you're willing?

Not bad he says.:sticktongue: Shes over 400 parts. Every single part is necessary! I'm super happy with it! Thanks for commenting.

MJ

Edited by Majorjim

Oh gosh, just saw this!

What a great lander!

How is everything else?

LOL hey man. Thanks! I am being stalled by some building issues. this is the hardest build I have ever undertaken and its taking time to fix.

Part count is an issue too I am doing the best I can to reduce it without compromising on detail. I'm getting there though, a week or two and it should be done. I am taking some time off work as there have been some changes there so I have some time to work on it.

In regards to the Altair I removed the backwards aerials creating the shape of the ascent pod to reduce lag. It still looks cool thankfully and runs better!

LOL hey man. Thanks! I am being stalled by some building issues. this is the hardest build I have ever undertaken and its taking time to fix.

Part count is an issue too I am doing the best I can to reduce it without compromising on detail. I'm getting there though, a week or two and it should be done. I am taking some time off work as there have been some changes there so I have some time to work on it.

In regards to the Altair I removed the backwards aerials creating the shape of the ascent pod to reduce lag. It still looks cool thankfully and runs better!

Ok, sounds good!

The lander is very detailed too!

Starting my own Constellation mission, based on a leaked NASA photo that might mean SpaceX is helping with the Constellations (If they'll do it again, I think they will).

I think it will be fun.

DMSP

Each and every time i return to this thread i am thrilled by the screenshots. I simply love those craft. :)

I'm very happy to hear that! Thank you. The new ones are a step up from the original ones! In looks and part count..

Ok, sounds good!

The lander is very detailed too!

Starting my own Constellation mission, based on a leaked NASA photo that might mean SpaceX is helping with the Constellations (If they'll do it again, I think they will).

I think it will be fun.

DMSP

I look forward to seeing it mate! Lots of people have the constellation bug now!

I look forward to seeing it mate! Lots of people have the constellation bug now!

I sometimes worry all of ours will look the same because there's only so many parts you can use :P

I sometimes worry all of ours will look the same because there's only so many parts you can use :P

Ooh I hope not..! I'm fairly certain our landers will look different. Depending on what you guys are making we will try to replicate the little power cart and thing with solar panels. Plus we have to make the SPR. My previous design is one of my favorite creations. How did you tackle that one?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.