[1.2 - 1.4] Modular Rocket Systems v1.13.2 (2018-03-12) - Stock-alike Parts Pack

NecroBones

Something else that might be cool for 1.6.4: give the ModuleSeeThroughObject (cf. stock service bays) to the LAS shroud, so I can see what I've put on the pod that's being covered.

That's a good idea. I'm also tweaking it a little to help with the aerodynamics. Thanks!

Hello NecroBones. I totally love this mod. Great Work.

I have a question. Would it be possible to make 3.75m pod ? For example MK1-2 Command pod just bigger ?

Yeah, that's something I've had on a list of "maybes" for a while. I would really like to, but to do it justice, it needs a really good IVA. And IVAs are a real pain. ;) Also, I'm not sure whether it belongs in MRS or SpaceY, unless I do two of them. So I'm thinking about it, I just haven't decided what to do.

Yeah, that's something I've had on a list of "maybes" for a while. I would really like to, but to do it justice, it needs a really good IVA. And IVAs are a real pain. ;) Also, I'm not sure whether it belongs in MRS or SpaceY, unless I do two of them. So I'm thinking about it, I just haven't decided what to do.

Thank you for considering :)

Something strange is going on with these tiny-sized LF tanks...

BEAFb9J.jpg

They're completely normal-looking in the VAB\SPH. This is most likely a texture bug - I've seen such things with mods that were incompatible with Active Texture Management. Something with normal maps, IIRC. You've used KSP4DDS converter, I presume - have you changed any options there? It should convert without any problems on default settings, but one never knows...

Also, can you boost somewhat these tiny intakes (or turbojets? Or both? I'm not sure exactly how these systems work)? :) This Canberra was built as a high-altitude plane for those "do something above X altitude" (where X is usually something about 18-19 km). It Is a high-altitude plane, alright, but it start to struggle above 16 km. Mind that it was designed as subsonic.

I love these tiny turbos - stock turbojets are WAY overpowered, and basic jets cannot push anything above 10K (We're talking about sane designs, of course). Or maybe I'm doing something wrong - this is my first playthrough where I've focused on planes, not rockets.

Edited by biohazard15

Thank you for considering :)

No problem. :) In fact, I'm tempted to make a pods-only mod pack with several choices. But we'll see.

Something strange is going on with these tiny-sized LF tanks...

http://i.imgur.com/BEAFb9J.jpg

They're completely normal-looking in the VAB\SPH. This is most likely a texture bug - I've seen such things with mods that were incompatible with Active Texture Management. Something with normal maps, IIRC. You've used KSP4DDS converter, I presume - have you changed any options there? It should convert without any problems on default settings, but one never knows...

Also, can you boost somewhat these tiny intakes (or turbojets? Or both? I'm not sure exactly how these systems work)? :) This Canberra was built as a high-altitude plane for those "do something above X altitude" (where X is usually something about 18-19 km). It Is a high-altitude plane, alright, but it start to struggle above 16 km. Mind that it was designed as subsonic.

I love these tiny turbos - stock turbojets are WAY overpowered, and basic jets cannot push anything above 10K (We're talking about sane designs, of course). Or maybe I'm doing something wrong - this is my first playthrough where I've focused on planes, not rockets.

OK, I'll take a look at the normals on those tanks. It probably has been that way for a long time without anyone really noticing, rather than being part of the DDS conversion. I had to fix a bunch of tanks in another mod for similar reasons a while back.

Currently these little jets and intakes are set up to be 25% of the stock counterparts (half the diameter is of course a quarter of the cross-section surface area). I wouldn't mind boosting them to around 1/3 of the 1.25m parts, perhaps. Or maybe 30% of those (20% increase over what they are now). I'll take a look at them too.

OK, I'll take a look at the normals on those tanks. It probably has been that way for a long time without anyone really noticing, rather than being part of the DDS conversion. I had to fix a bunch of tanks in another mod for similar reasons a while back.

Currently these little jets and intakes are set up to be 25% of the stock counterparts (half the diameter is of course a quarter of the cross-section surface area). I wouldn't mind boosting them to around 1/3 of the 1.25m parts, perhaps. Or maybe 30% of those (20% increase over what they are now). I'll take a look at them too.

Hmm, 1\3 would be good, I think.

BTW, I've tried to replicate RB-57 (increasing wingspan and adding big intakes) - no luck. The initial "Bomber" Canberra can easily ascend to 16Km, it can achieve 18 if you are careful with your controls. Other versions can barely get to 16.

Almost forgot - can I make a small request?

You know these 1.25m inline cargo bays of yours, right? Can you make one with sliding doors, or at least with doors that opens not too wide? You see, I wanted to give Canberra an internal bomb bay (since it, well, a bomber!), but cargo bay doors clip through the wings. No apparent damage, but the looks... ew.

Edited by biohazard15

Almost forgot - can I make a small request?

You know these 1.25m inline cargo bays of yours, right? Can you make one with sliding doors, or at least with doors that opens not too wide? You see, I wanted to give Canberra an internal bomb bay (since it, well, a bomber!), but cargo bay doors clip through the wings. No apparent damage, but the looks... ew.

Hmm, possibly. :) I'll try to think of some ideas.

In the meantime, I have the jets boosted slightly, and the normals fixed on the tanks.

1.6.4 is up:

1.6.4 (2015-05-14) - Tweaks
- Added ground effects to several engines.
- Tweaked the LAS Shroud aerodynamics
- LAS Shroud will now be see-through on mouse-over in the VAB/SPH.
- Corrected TweakScale settings for "Hound" Engine.
- Re-Added a reworked stackable inline 1.25m fuel cell.
- Re-balanced the size-0 (0.625m) jet engines & intakes.
- 20% more thrust (30% of stock 1.25m counterparts), but also more mass.
- 20% more air through intakes, slight increase in mass.
- Adjusted sound/visual effects to correspond to stock changes.
- Air intakes no longer qualify as contract test subjects.
- Corrected a problem with the normals on the 0.625m fuel tanks.

Now we're talking!

VDvSofu.png

With new stats, Canberra achieved 19K on its first flight! That wasn't easy (I had to pull down couple of times in order to gain some speed), but it was FUN!

Keep up the good work! As for me - gone hunting for these 20K :)

I really like your pack, but unfortunately a strange bug has appeared.

Some of the part textures disappeared and I am left with pink parts: http://imgur.com/UoanGOt

I am using quite a lot of other mods but have no idea if there is a conflict. When I remove your pack the problem disappears.

If anyone has an idea, I would appreciate a tip! ;)

I am having trouble with the MRS Jet Engine, 0.625 Basic always showing the engine effect behind them, even if turned off. I believe this might be because of HotRockets, but I thought I'd let you know about it :)

Here's a screenshot, hovering one of the engines that is clearly off (see staging):

http://i.imgur.com/AOnQku7.png

I am having trouble with the MRS Jet Engine, 0.625 Basic always showing the engine effect behind them, even if turned off. I believe this might be because of HotRockets, but I thought I'd let you know about it :)

Here's a screenshot, hovering one of the engines that is clearly off (see staging):

http://i.imgur.com/AOnQku7.png

Same thing here. Its definitly hot rockets. Sad but true.

OK, I'll take a look. I changed the engine effects on the engines in this last pass, so I think the hotrockets config also has to change to update it correctly. I think this is fixable.

OK, I'll take a look. I changed the engine effects on the engines in this last pass, so I think the hotrockets config also has to change to update it correctly. I think this is fixable.

OK, I have the HotRockets patch for the 0.625m jet engines fixed for the next update.

Hey, NecroBones!

I just love your mods (all of them) but still there is one thing missing for long time from KSP - nice and smooth space tug tanks. And my nice and smooth I mean similar to real ones. For example check this russian Fregat space tug:

Phobos_Grunt_base_section_model.jpg

Or this Block D1 from legendary N-1

Block-D.jpg

Any chance of creating something similar? Your spherical Xenon tanks are awesome but I've cheated and change configs to make them LF/O since they make my aesthetical part happy :D

Hey, NecroBones!

I just love your mods (all of them) but still there is one thing missing for long time from KSP - nice and smooth space tug tanks. And my nice and smooth I mean similar to real ones. For example check this russian Fregat space tug:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/68/Phobos_Grunt_base_section_model.jpg

Or this Block D1 from legendary N-1

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e0/Block-D.jpg

Any chance of creating something similar? Your spherical Xenon tanks are awesome but I've cheated and change configs to make them LF/O since they make my aesthetical part happy :D

That's quite possible. Spherical tanks, and tanks inside lattice/truss structure is definitely something that is sorely lacking. I'm just not sure whether it belongs in MRS, or in FTP instead. Right now I'm leaning toward FTP, since that's the whole focus of that mod-- more tank options.

That's quite possible. Spherical tanks, and tanks inside lattice/truss structure is definitely something that is sorely lacking. I'm just not sure whether it belongs in MRS, or in FTP instead. Right now I'm leaning toward FTP, since that's the whole focus of that mod-- more tank options.

Nice to hear :) Looking forward into this one :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.