KerbalX.com - Craft & Mission Sharing

katateochi

That would be grand. That will also help test if you get points for doing that. You should get some points for your upload (you can see a total on your profile page, I'll add a breakdown of points later).

If it helps, I have 25 points and uploaded my Part Map earlier this evening. I don't know how many points I had before I uploaded it though, was too busy drinking tea :P

If it helps, I have 25 points and uploaded my Part Map earlier this evening. I don't know how many points I had before I uploaded it though, was too busy drinking tea :P

You must have uploaded that within minutes of me deploying the changes that add points for uploads!! And also looks like you got way more points than you should have! I must have not drunk enough tea when I coded that bit.

You must have uploaded that within minutes of me deploying the changes that add points for uploads!! And also looks like you got way more points than you should have! I must have not drunk enough tea when I coded that bit.

It probably was - I got the email alert about a new post, gave you rep and was like 'huh, points for part maps.. I haven't uploaded my 0.25 one yet' so I did.. probably around 8.20pm.

Ahh, c'mon.. I earned those points fair and square! :D

It probably was - I got the email alert about a new post, gave you rep and was like 'huh, points for part maps.. I haven't uploaded my 0.25 one yet' so I did.. probably around 8.20pm.

Ahh, c'mon.. I earned those points fair and square! :D

oh ok! ;) We'll call them a testers bonus! And I've now fixed that bug. You'd got a point for each mod, you should only get points for new mods and parts. You also get 1 point each time you upload (with more than 24 hours since last upload) even if it doesn't add anything.

Done, hopefully your getting close to what you need by now.

nice 1, thanks!

The weights in the knowledge base are slowly changing! Not all the parts for space plane plus had the same weighting to start with (as some people had different parts installed), so some have been transferred others still have a fairly high weight. Lots of people uploaded part maps to start with but less people are doing that now so the rate of change is lower. This is a more unusual case of parts being moved to another mod, something I expected to happen, but didn't expect such a significant change so soon! Because this is a more special case, effecting a core mod and stock parts I'm tempted to manually cut the weights down on the space plane parts so it will change faster. But also I just want to see it figure it out without a nudge from me!

This is reminding me of the bygone days of the craft file spam that was spaceport xD Good luck filtering it out!

It's actually spaceports search, or rather lack-thereof that got me started on thinking about this site. Filtering is what this site does!!(aside from mod detecting) ;)

Is there a way to update the .craft files?

I want to re-upload a craft but don't want to do the entire hassle again to setup all the screenshots etc.

Also: KerbalX doesn't seem to have knowledge about TweakableEverything:http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/64711-0-25-TweakableEverything-1-4-1-For-all-your-part-tweaking-needs

And PartMapper doesn't recognise it as a mod.

Have you added anything yet to differentiate .24 craft from .25 models? Stock parts changed enough to trash some designs, and FAR changed wing weight enough to mess with almost all old designs.

It just so happens I've just added that filter in. I've just plonked the version numbers on the search interface for now, need to fine a nicer way of presenting them. But the filter works.

Is there a way to update the .craft files?

I want to re-upload a craft but don't want to do the entire hassle again to setup all the screenshots etc.

Also: KerbalX doesn't seem to have knowledge about TweakableEverything:http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/64711-0-25-TweakableEverything-1-4-1-For-all-your-part-tweaking-needs

And PartMapper doesn't recognise it as a mod.

No way to update craft files yet, but that is something I plan to add.

TweakableEverything (and a couple others) is the next thing I'm going to sort out.

I like your craft btw, that Deimos V looks very nice.

edit

oh and

- redone the BBcode parser so now more BBcode elements are supported and nesting BBcode elements works properly too now. (take away message for users is; you can now add images just like you do here)

- you can set your default sort filter under settings

- comments page which shows all your comments /<username>/comments

Edited by katateochi

I had an issue with it detecting mods I didn't use but had installed, specifically TweakScale. I uploaded a plane that did not use any scaled parts but it said it required TweakScale just because I had it installed. I don't feel that should be the case any more than having it say I needed B9 because I had that installed too.

So Tweakscale is now correctly detected. If it's present, but not actually scaling anything then it won't be detected.

TweakableEverything is now detected, but unlike tweakscale I can't detect if its being applied. Tweakscale is really nice in that it has the default value stored in each module, but TweakableEverything doesn't do that. :(

I also can't detect a difference between FAR and NEAR. They both add the same module FARBasicDragModel and as far as I can tell there's no difference in them. So NEAR craft will be FAR, but from what you guys have said that's not too bad, I think the TweakableEverything issue is more annoying tbh.

Also added a v simple feature; Next and Prev links on craft pages that take you to the next/prev result of the last search you did, so you can browse some results without having to return to the search page.

• 2 weeks later...
Is it possible to add a feature to categorize craft by tech level? (perhaps a full tree might be too complicated, but they might be able to be sorted into tech level 1, 2, 3, and so forth)

This is a really good idea.

But instead of the levels it could simply scan for the parts and have the required tech nodes highlighted on a picture.

Because several people don't follow tech unlocking linearly and often go straight for nervas or science equipment.

Being a tree image would make it easier to compare with what you see on your own.

Have you considered having a chat to the Kronal Vessel Viewer folks? Having the website automatically generate a Kronal schematic when you upload a craft would be most nifty.

I've been chatting with bigorangemachine about a different idea involving KVV. Basically we're toying with ideas for taking craft stats generated by KVV (in game) and possibly embedding as meta info in pictures or just as a xml file that could be uploaded to KX to provide additional craft info like dV, TWR etc. Embryonic ideas thou, still in the pondering phase!

I shall ask him how possible your idea would be, cos that would be cool!

Also been talking to toadicus of TweakableEverything and hopefully he will be able to add in a boolean value that I can check for to test if TW is actually affecting the part or not, which will be great!

Is it possible to add a feature to categorize craft by tech level? (perhaps a full tree might be too complicated, but they might be able to be sorted into tech level 1, 2, 3, and so forth)

I like this idea. In principle it should be possible. Where I see issues is with mods and custom tech trees. I'd need the tree on the site (or at least a knowledge of which parts belong with which nodes).

I'd need to make the PartMapper also upload any tech-trees it finds, but that still doesn't help with custom trees and there's also problems with maintaining the right version......

So hows this for an idea;

Each user can have their own definition of a tech tree on the site. If you don't do anything the site will assume the stock tech tree, or you can upload your current tree and have it associated with your account. Then the information about which tech levels are needed for each craft will be specific to each user and their tree.

I've hardly played career mode with mods (I usually do stock careers and mod-tastic sandboxing) so I have no experience with customizing tech trees. tbh I'm not even sure where the stock tech tree lives! So if you guys can tell me what you know about the trees that would help a lot. I need to know where to find the stock tech tree definition and some examples of mod and custom trees.

This is an excellent idea!!

Is the site down? I'm trying upload a craft and it's getting stuck on this screen:

https://photos-1.dropbox.com/t/1/AAD5kJwnggaR5iZcT0aclt-HPlxAi5xoskU6w8SR4c62rA/12/46517359/png/1024x768/3/1415239200/0/2/Capture2.PNG/nJuFekbRFrRYqH0McUbhmUwTG4kbT7yBmtuYy22o72Y

When I try and go anywhere, it shows a "Was that the primary buffer panel!?" 500 error..

Sorry! I was doing some updates to it yesterday and ran into an unexpected glitch, so the site was down for about 20mins yesterday. I guess that must have been when you tried it.

If you go to http://kerbalx/status then it should just say in plain text "KerbalX is up", that page doesn't run any front-end code so if it crashes (redirects you to that error page) then there is a server side problem. (just fyi).

Recent updates include;

Change to notifications about craft activity. Now you just get one notification that aggregates all craft activity so you don't have lots of notifications to click through.

There is also a craft stats page (http://kerbalx.com/stats) that shows up/down votes, downloads and views for each of your craft.

Change to Knowledge base to relax its resistance to unlearning things that have been widely reported before. (The addition of spaceplane to stock flagged this problem up, basically the system had made very very strong associations between spaceplane+ and its parts because so many people used it. So it took the system much longer to unlearn the associations and move the parts to belong to stock).

Page load improvements (craft pages should load faster now).

Few tweaks to the craft page editing interface. Added a dialog that will fill in the markup for adding either pics or vids, you just paste the url into the dialog and hit insert and it will insert the required markup for you. The links to access that will appear when you click on section to edit it.

Been a bit of a sad week for me, I'm mourning the loss of a great friend I've known for nearly 10 years and with whom I've gone on many great adventures. But I just have to accept it, my car is dead. :(

Edited by katateochi

Sorry! I was doing some updates to it yesterday and ran into an unexpected glitch, so the site was down for about 20mins yesterday. I guess that must have been when you tried it.

If you go to http://kerbalx/status then it should just say in plain text "KerbalX is up", that page doesn't run any front-end code so if it crashes (redirects you to that error page) then there is a server side problem. (just fyi).

No worries, I'm guessing it's something I'm doing wrong because I see crafts uploaded since I last visited, but it's still not working for me. Home page, click the dropdown upload thing, click it, select craft, OK and... nothing. The little green progress bar goes to 100% and then it just sits there. Kind of expecting the site to update, but it doesn't and just stays like in the screenshot I posted. Go to profile, error page. Try to upload again, says I can't, click here to continue uploading, error page. Although, it did update the address to http://kerbalx.com/crafts/276/edit (but still showed the error page) so something happened..

As an aside, I went to http://kerbalx/status and Chrome says it's not available - "The server at kerbalx can't be found because the DNS look-up failed. DNS is the network service that translates a website's name to its Internet address. This error is most often caused by having no connection to the Internet or a misconfigured network. It can also be caused by an unresponsive DNS server or a firewall preventing Google Chrome from accessing the network". Given that I can post this, I'm most definitely connected to the internet so I really don't know. The internet confuses me more than I like to admit..

In short then, I can't upload and I don't know why - it might be my end, might be the server, might be a PEBKAC error - and that makes me sad :(

No worries, I'm guessing it's something I'm doing wrong because I see crafts uploaded since I last visited, but it's still not working for me. Home page, click the dropdown upload thing, click it, select craft, OK and... nothing. The little green progress bar goes to 100% and then it just sits there. Kind of expecting the site to update, but it doesn't and just stays like in the screenshot I posted. Go to profile, error page. Try to upload again, says I can't, click here to continue uploading, error page. Although, it did update the address to http://kerbalx.com/crafts/276/edit (but still showed the error page) so something happened..

As an aside, I went to http://kerbalx/status and Chrome says it's not available - "The server at kerbalx can't be found because the DNS look-up failed. DNS is the network service that translates a website's name to its Internet address. This error is most often caused by having no connection to the Internet or a misconfigured network. It can also be caused by an unresponsive DNS server or a firewall preventing Google Chrome from accessing the network". Given that I can post this, I'm most definitely connected to the internet so I really don't know. The internet confuses me more than I like to admit..

In short then, I can't upload and I don't know why - it might be my end, might be the server, might be a PEBKAC error - and that makes me sad :(

oh noes!! That is odd, very odd. Clearly you are online and as far as I can tell there is no issues resolving the KerbalX.com domain. I use a service called NewRelic that gives me lots of live stats from the site and alerts me if there are errors or downtime. NewRelic is not reporting anything and as its a 3rd party tool (and not running on any of my kit) its a reliable measure.

I've checked accessing the site from several machines and connecting to the net via different connections (I jacked my neighbours wifi, shhh) and not had any problems.

One thing you could try is to try an access the site directly on the host. go to http://kerbalx.herokuapp.com

If that works then its definitely something DNS related.

hmmm, maybe a weird caching issue? perhaps your browser has cached a bugged version of.....oh wait....some of the front end logic for uploading the craft was changed recently...if your browser has cached the older version of the front end and is using that it could be causing the problem your seeing. Try telling your browser to wipe everything it knows about KX (or use a diff browser) and see if that clears it up. I've also just told the site to expire all the versions of its assets and restarted the server, which should also prompt browsers to clear their cache.

If that's not it, then maybe there is a something in your craft that I've not handled properly. If the above doesn't work, can you send me the craft file via another host and I'll have a look at it in my dev environment.

The internet confuses me more than I like to admit.

as a web developer, I completely agree!!

http://kerbalx.herokuapp.com - same problem. Delete cookies - no improvement, as well as Shift + F5 (clear cache and refresh). In despair, I tried in IE which I'm 99.9% sure has never seen KX and no dice. I'd forgotten to close the Chrome attempt and it said I couldn't upload until the previous one had done, so I close the Chrome one and it said it still couldn't be done. Definitely thinking I'm being an idiot here, but the trouble with that is that I don't know in what way so I can't change it :D

Craft is here, pretty sure it's just stock parts and Vens revamp (but I have FAR, TweakScale and TweakableEverything installed as well). I don't think it's anything special with the craft, but you can try. Let me know if you can't load it.

Ooh, something new! Tried uploading again and a popup appeared after a few minutes with "Application Error. An error occurred in the application and your page could not be served. Please try again in a few moments".

Thanks for your help and patience with this, I really appreciate it :)

Edited by ObsessedWithKSP

Hey katateochi :) Great job on the website!

I was wondering: is there any way to update the .craft file of a craft you've already uploaded and have it's page all set up and ready? without having to re-do the entire download page for the updated file? I tried it yesterday and couldn't find a way, and uploading a new craft just gave me a pop-up to create a new craft download page.

Thanks in advance :) This is kind of awesome, and even for people that don't really care all that much if their craft is downloaded or not, in any case you can use it to keep track which mods your crafts use xD

EDIT: Also, not sure if this is because I use Opera as my browser, but when uploading a craft I do not get the supposed "Skip" button to build that craft's download page later. What I did was look at how the link was for when you hit "cancel" and just replaced cancelled for skipped:

kerbalx.com/crafts/craftNumber?message=upload+skipped

Knowing that the functionality/feature is actually there I can safely assume this is just an issue with Opera. But donno :o

Edited by MonaBabii

I was wondering: is there any way to update the .craft file of a craft you've already uploaded and have it's page all set up and ready? without having to re-do the entire download page for the updated file? I tried it yesterday and couldn't find a way, and uploading a new craft just gave me a pop-up to create a new craft download page.

Thanks in advance :) This is kind of awesome, and even for people that don't really care all that much if their craft is downloaded or not, in any case you can use it to keep track which mods your crafts use xD

EDIT: Also, not sure if this is because I use Opera as my browser, but when uploading a craft I do not get the supposed "Skip" button to build that craft's download page later. What I did was look at how the link was for when you hit "cancel" and just replaced cancelled for skipped:

Knowing that the functionality/feature is actually there I can safely assume this is just an issue with Opera. But donno :o

They are working on it;here is the page with the progress tracker on new update to the site:https://www.pivotaltracker.com/s/projects/1179006

http://kerbalx.herokuapp.com - same problem. Delete cookies - no improvement, as well as Shift + F5 (clear cache and refresh). In despair, I tried in IE which I'm 99.9% sure has never seen KX and no dice. I'd forgotten to close the Chrome attempt and it said I couldn't upload until the previous one had done, so I close the Chrome one and it said it still couldn't be done. Definitely thinking I'm being an idiot here, but the trouble with that is that I don't know in what way so I can't change it :D

Craft is here, pretty sure it's just stock parts and Vens revamp (but I have FAR, TweakScale and TweakableEverything installed as well). I don't think it's anything special with the craft, but you can try. Let me know if you can't load it.

Ooh, something new! Tried uploading again and a popup appeared after a few minutes with "Application Error. An error occurred in the application and your page could not be served. Please try again in a few moments".

Thanks for your help and patience with this, I really appreciate it :)

using IE, that is gettting desperate! ;) (actually I hate IE a lot less since 10, infact IE10+ renders the more advanced CSS styles faster than the others now)

I tried uploading your craft in my dev env and it uploaded just fine, so its not the craft.

ah, so if you are getting the can't upload until completing the previous one message, then what has happened is that you've uploaded a craft, but for some reason the upload process got interrupted and now you've got a craft that is uploaded but doesn't have its page and won't appear in the search results. When you get that message, there should also be a link that will take you to the form for completing the previous upload (or cancelling it).

Try clicking that link and completing the previous upload (or cancelling it) and see if that sorts it. If that link is not appearing or it doesn't take you to the craft, then let me know and I'll go in to the admin console and remove it from the DB and then you should be able to start over.

Not sure what that Application Error message was about, for now I'm going to assume that it is something to do with the previous craft not being complete yet. But if it appears again then grab any other text that is with it and let me know.

Sorry about this! IT is possibly due to the recent change I made to the upload process (more on that in the next answer to monababii).

Thanks man.

Yeah as MK3424 said, updating craft is a planned feature. In fact it is now the thing that is most requested so that is being bumped up the list. I'll be adding that feature real soon.

The "Skip" functionality has been taken out. I've noticed that a number of users have been really confused by that and there are about 10 craft that haven't been completed as a result (and are therefore not shown in the search results).

So now the use flow is to go through the whole process of uploading the craft and setting up its page in one go. I had thought that it would be neat to be able to upload several craft at the same time, but I now think that doing that is more confusing to the majority of users than it is helpful.

I know that some users have realised that they can upload a craft and then have it hidden from the search by not completing the page. I don't really want that happening, the point of KX is to share with the community. But I will be adding the ability to have a limited number (2-3) of private craft that won't appear in the search and can only be accessed by people you specifically give access to. You will only get a couple private craft, but I also plan to add a subscription feature later if you want to have more private craft.

Changing the "cancelled" to "skipped" won't change the action that the link takes, it just changes what message you get back. +1 for doing something totally unexpected thou!!

Using Opera(15+) should be fine, its basically got the same stuff under the hood as Chrome.

I was hoping to get loads done on the site today, but apparently today was the day to have a fever so I'm not coding today. I will have gotten over it by tomorrow thou, so should get something done then!!

Edited by katateochi

(...) Changing the "cancelled" to "skipped" won't change the action that the link takes, it just changes what message you get back...

It did work though! Suddenly the craft window closed (without reverting my craft upload) and the craft remained in my crafts section (I think it was the Crafts section, could've been my profile, can't recall). Whereas if I had pressed the X button to simply close the window it wouldn't have actually closed it, and pressing cancel would delete the upload. It does make sense that the change in link would only change the "message" come to think of it :P but it did work xD accidentally perhaps, or perhaps just something else happened and that was just a coincidence of sorts.

I deleted/cancelled the craft afterwards because it wasn't actually a new craft, just a test to see if I could update the first one that way.

Either way, great to hear about the craft-update feature coming up :) and hope you get well soon!

Cheers!

Edited by MonaBabii