KerbalX.com - Craft & Mission Sharing

katateochi

KerbalX site has crashed. Please confirm.

logged in users getting 500 error

http://kerbalx.com/error/500

at least I am.

guests can apparently still access the site.

fails for me in FF and IE.

Yeah sorry everyone!! Site took quote a beating yesterday and logged in users suffered the worse (database access was being limited due to the volume of traffic and logged in users touch the database more frequently).

Site had over 10k hits yesterday!! (it usually gets about 500-1k per day, and I just wasn't prepared for that level of activity!!) I set that countdown timer up as a (half thought through) gimmic, took a couple hours to code, never expected it to get so many hits! But that page got absolutely hammered and there where several predictions being submitted every second, so the site just kinda passed out from shock!

We also had the longest downtime we've ever had this morning (I would have fixed it sooner but I was asleep, woke up to tons of error alerts yelling at me, joy!)

Normality does seem to have been restored now though.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, yo, I need to update my craftz... Some of my designs are fairly popular. =0

Anyway, some of them are just direct updates, others were fixed by means of manually patching the various part mods... This means that the ship works again but can only be edited on my own computer which has the necessary patch. =\

But anyway, I can't find a way to update specific craft files. =\

Hey, yo, I need to update my craftz... Some of my designs are fairly popular. =0

Anyway, some of them are just direct updates, others were fixed by means of manually patching the various part mods... This means that the ship works again but can only be edited on my own computer which has the necessary patch. =\

But anyway, I can't find a way to update specific craft files. =\

Two slightly different ways;

- if the updated craft file has the same name as the one already on the site then just upload it like normal from the front page and KX will ask you if you want to update the existing craft or upload it as a new upload.

- if the craft file has a different name then first go to the edit page for the craft you want to update and then upload the craft file, KX will then ask if you want to update the craft you are viewing or create a new upload.

I just had a brain storm - what about a badge for those of us to use in our signatures who are "registered" users that regularly submit craft to KerbalX?

I've actually been attempting to make some signature badges Art work is not my strong suit (and then 1.0 coming out has kinda slowed my development progress these last two weeks!)

This is what I've made so far

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Let me know what you think of them and if you want to start using one then go ahead. I want to create a few more variations and then I'll provide them as links on the craft edit pages (and probably under user settings and profile) on the site.

If any of you think you could make better ones then please let me know! As I said, 'art' is not one of my skills!

Edited by katateochi

Wow, for someone that claims that "art" isn't one of your skill sets, I think they are all pretty good. I think my favorite graphic is this one:

zVkINyyl.png

In my opinion, it is straight forward and the background of the SPH really is visually appealing. As far as me designing a better one, you see what I am using for Kersplat Aerospace Industries. I am no expert at graphics art and am totally okay with that! :sticktongue:

I'm going to add it to my signature now! :D

I do not know how hard it would be on the platform you are using to program KerbalX, but would it be very difficult to add a field where the url for the user can be linked to their KSP forum account?

Edited by adsii1970
Added an additional suggestion

Wow, for someone that claims that "art" isn't one of your skill sets, I think they are all pretty good. I think my favorite graphic is this one:

http://i.imgur.com/zVkINyyl.png

In my opinion, it is straight forward and the background of the SPH really is visually appealing. As far as me designing a better one, you see what I am using for Kersplat Aerospace Industries. I am no expert at graphics art and am totally okay with that! :sticktongue:

I'm going to add it to my signature now! :D

I do not know how hard it would be on the platform you are using to program KerbalX, but would it be very difficult to add a field where the url for the user can be linked to their KSP forum account?

Thanks! :)

Now I see it being used in a sig I think it is growing on me! I think I'll also make a couple that have a spacey background like your Kersplat logo, and have each one available in the smaller size for those who like a thinner sig.

Re your suggestion for a link to forum account; very easy to add that attribute, I actually want to add several other things to the user profile page (which is a bit.....not quite right yet); things like a description field for info about the user and links to forum, youtube channel, twitch etc. Adding the attributes to the database is v easy, my issue is that I can't quite picture how I want that page to look and where that info should go.

I also MUST finish the work I'm doing to get CKAN integration working (it's almost ready & in the testing phase, just 1.0 coming out has been a major distraction ;) ). That's holding me back from doing other things atm as its quite a big change to the mod knowledge base structure and I'll need to take the site offline for half a day when I deploy that update. But when it's done it will enable KerbalX to have much better mod info (things like B9 procedural parts, the various Umbra Space industries mods and other mods which share a common GameData folder will be properly detected) and it will make downloading CKAN meta-files possible. It also means the site will be less reliant on users uploading part maps as it will know about everything that CKAN knows. When that's done then I'll be able to focus on other things like the users profile page.

Bug report for the PartMapper: it doesn't appear to like HotRockets? Seeing as I can't copypaste, here's a screenie:

Rw4HjG2.png

Also, I was thinking about Vens Stock Revamp - it may not add parts (well, it does, but that's irrelevant) but crafts made with it installed are going to look different to a stock game. KX has VenStockRevamp mod filter, but it thinks no craft exists with it (obviously incorrect). I'm guessing PartMapper is telling the database the mod exists, but there's no way for the craft file to show that the part used is using VSR textures/models. Not sure how to change that though :/

Also also, I want to put one of those KX pictures in my sig - how do you get two pictures next to each other?

Sorry guys, not sure what happened last night. I just woke up to find the site had crashed. It's back up now and I'm trying to figure out what happened.

@inigma did you break the site ;)

can you try and redo what you did with updating your sub-assemblies and see if that causes a problem again.

I don't have Imgur album support working yet, it's something I do plan to add though.

@ObsessedWithKSP

I need to have a look at how Vens Stock Revamp effects a craft file and see if I can add a custom detector for that, like I have for tweakscale and FAR

I'll have a look at why hot rockets causes a problem. In the meanwhile, create a .txt file called ignore_mods.txt in the root of your KSP install and put HotRockets in it (add it exactly as the folder is named in GameData) and the PartMapper will ignore it.

re sig images, I'll PM you about that.

Sorry guys, not sure what happened last night. I just woke up to find the site had crashed. It's back up now and I'm trying to figure out what happened.

@inigma did you break the site ;)

can you try and redo what you did with updating your sub-assemblies and see if that causes a problem again.

I don't have Imgur album support working yet, it's something I do plan to add though.

I was updating my STS Service Module. Apparently its now gone from the site. No worries. I'm uploading a new one now...

OK!! so, major update!! (0.10.0 released)

I've made a big change to the knowledge base and the process that is used to discover mods, in order to take advantage of CKAN's extensive knowledge of mods.

KX can now get information about mods from CKAN as well as the existing PartMapper approach (getting the two to play nice together has been.....interesting).

The primary advantage of this is better resolution on the mods. The PartMapper cannot distinguish between mods that install to the same folder inside GameData so up till now some mods have been lumped together. For example B9 procedural parts was considered part of B9 as they both install to the same folder. By getting the info from CKAN, KX is able to get more specific info for each mod so these mods are now correctly identified as separate mods.

Another advantage is more accurate naming and download urls for mods. The PartMapper assumed that a mod's name was the same as it's root folder in GameData and while this is true for the majority it's not always the case. With the CKAN info KX can get the name that the mod author specifies in the ckan repo.

It also means that all the mods available via CKAN now have up-to-date download urls without needing to rely on users suggesting download urls.

.ckan meta-package files for mod craft

You can now download a .ckan meta-package file for modded craft and then give that file to your CKAN mod manager and have it automatically install the mods required for that craft.

The link to download that is on the "download" and "mods" tab in the header section of a craft page. Or you can just add .ckan to the end of a craft's url; for example for this craft http://kerbalx.com/inigma/STS-Service-Module just change the url to http://kerbalx.com/inigma/STS-Service-Module.ckan

Some craft may use mods that aren't available via CKAN so their .ckan files will be incomplete. If you download the .ckan file by clicking the download link then KX will tell you which mods you need to get manually and, where possible, it will suggest a download link.

Now you can download a mod-craft and put it in your game, download the .ckan file and give it to CKAN and you're good to go!

From a code and database point of view this has been a big change, but it doesn't appear to change that much from a users point of view. Infact, if I've done things right you should hardly notice! Aside from having .ckan files for craft there aren't any new features, but it does a lot to improve KX's ability to correctly identify mods.

This change greatly reduces the need for users to run the PartMapper tool, but that is still the way KX can discover mods that aren't on CKAN. If you upload a craft and find that KX hasn't identified all the parts then run the PartMapper and then click the "Check for updated Parts" link (on the edit page for the craft). If you know you are using mods that aren't available via CKAN then it would also be a help if you run it.

I want to say a big thanks to everyone who has run the PartMapper tool, without you guys doing that KX would not have worked as well. I really thought that I'd need to periodically download lots of mods and run the PartMapper myself, but since the initial release I've only run it a few times (just after KSP releases). It's been an interesting experiment in crowd-sourcing this info and it's worked much better than I expected! So thanks everyone for taking part!!

Is there a possibility to add Sketchfab views into KerbalX craft pages, like we already do with Youtube videos?

like this one:

snip*

This is a possibility.....infact it's such a possibility that I'm adding it in now!!

I'm also adding support for imgur albums (which is a little harder because I need to be able to fetch the cover image for an album to use as the thumbnail for the craft, if no other images are given). I've got the sketchfab working and pretty much got the imgur album stuff working, so that should be available on KX later today or tomorrow.

Imgur albums and SketchFab embedding is now available using the same syntax as we use on the forums ie

[noparse]

Javascript is disabled. View full album

[/noparse]

I went with the old style of imgur album as I think it is way nicer and more useful. Let me know if you'd rather have the new albino variety ;)

If you put an imgur-album as the first "image" on a crafts page KX will lookup the cover image for that album and use that as the thumbnail image for the craft.

Hi while scrolling through the pages at the bottom of one of them.

you have Load 30 more 626 remaining results when click on the 30 more

error 400 i don`t know what you asked for .

And then you can only go back.

Hi while scrolling through the pages at the bottom of one of them.

you have Load 30 more 626 remaining results when click on the 30 more

error 400 i don`t know what you asked for .

And then you can only go back.

Is that happening on the main page on or one of the other pages with craft lists? I'm guessing it's on the main search page and you've got some search filters turned on, if that's the case can you click on the share/save search link at the top (under the search text field) and where it says "copy this link to share the search" right click and copy the link and then paste it here. Then I can see if I can replicate the error you're getting.

Does this happen every time you click load more, or is it just under certain conditions? If you can give me any further info about this it would help.

Thanks!

Hi

it happens when you getabout 3/4 through the site and when you go back it shows all the pages not just the one you came from.

This is in chrome will try another browser and see if it still happens.

Hi

it happens when you getabout 3/4 through the site and when you go back it shows all the pages not just the one you came from.

This is in chrome will try another browser and see if it still happens.

ok I can see that happening. It's a problem with the pagination code (something which I had planned to improve anyway). I shall find a better solution to that. Thanks for pointing this out!

Katateochi: i think the devs are trying to tell you something (on the last paragraph):http://kerbaldevteam.tumblr.com/post/121132948719/devnote-tuesday-slow-news-day-ii

I just saw that! I very recently added sketchfab support so you can add the 3d rendering to craft pages on KerbalX using the same format as you can here;

[noparse] [/noparse]

I don't have a way to send craft to sketchfab to automatically generate a rendering which would be cool, but that would require having all mod parts stored on KX and I can't really do that.

Just some updates (v0.11.1);

Main change is to your profile page, you can now add a description about yourself, profile picture and add links to your KSP-forum profile, youtube channel, twitch channel (and appropriate icons will appear as you add those). You can also add a signature that will appear on all your craft. And on the topic of signatures, you can also now get logos to put in your forum signatures (link to get those is on your profile page and also on craft edit pages).

Profile page also has more (hopefully useful) links to things like your downloaded and favourited craft and also links to your settings.

Fixed the bug with pagination (thanks Darkdoom for pointing that out).

Mod pages have named urls ie http://KerbalX.com/mods/KWRocketry instead of /mods/9 (the existing ID based urls still work).

The case sensitive login had been causing some users issues, so that is now case-insensitive and you can also login using either your username or your email address that you signed up with.

I just tried uploading a FAR spaceplane, but no mods were detected. After recent updates to FAR, FARBasicDragModel no longer appears in craft files. However, FARAeroPartModule is now found on all Ferram crafts.

Also, what are you planning to do with other plugin mods like Kerbal Joint Reinforcement? (284 part crafts are really wobbly with stock physics ;.;)