KerbalX.com - Craft & Mission Sharing

katateochi

Katateochi... I updated one of my crafts.. and I think I broke something...

for some reason, everytime the editor saves the page it goes to the 500 error page...

http://kerbalx.com/crafts/5463

you didn't break anything, looks like you found a bug! seems there's a bug with the new edit interface when updating an existing craft.

Thanks for pointing that out, I shall fix it!

in the meanwhile, you could revert to using the old interface (click the "Revert Layout to old Edit Interface" link at the bottom of the edit page). that will at least allow you to update the craft file and remake the page. Sorry about this!

Kat

EDIT

bug found and squashed. You should be able to update a craft that's using the new edit interface now.

Edited by katateochi

Hi, Kat.

I tried the new editing UI. It looks really great and is very smooth to work with. But I miss the snap-to of the old one. Couldn't find a way to enable that. Is it possible?

Thanks for a great site.

Val.

Hi, Kat.

I tried the new editing UI. It looks really great and is very smooth to work with. But I miss the snap-to of the old one. Couldn't find a way to enable that. Is it possible?

Thanks for a great site.

Val.

It should be snapping to a 20x20 pixel grid (or was it 40x40), but the elements aren't "aware" of each other so they won't snap to each other.

I will try and see if I can add a modifier (something like holding down ctrl or alt/mod while dragging) to either make the underlying grid larger, or make it so they snap to other elements. I'm away this week and next week is going to be nuts at work, so might be a little while before I get to doing that.

Cheers for the feedback Val!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello katateochi, it's me again :)

I just have noticed that kerbalx had issues detecting AJE on my craft, here is it: http://kerbalx.com/tetryds/P-47-Thunderbolt

I tried mapping my parts to the database but it did not work, maybe there is something else to it.

Loving the new UI editor tool.

Edit: actually, it does not detect AJE at all.

Edited by tetryds

Hello katateochi, it's me again :)

I just have noticed that kerbalx had issues detecting AJE on my craft, here is it: http://kerbalx.com/tetryds/P-47-Thunderbolt

I tried mapping my parts to the database but it did not work, maybe there is something else to it.

Loving the new UI editor tool.

Edit: actually, it does not detect AJE at all.

Hey tetryds! I will look into this, I'm just swamped at work currently so please bear with me!

@tetryds

The missing part on your craft (KAXradialR-2800-63W) is puzzling me. I can't find it in AJE or KAX. If you can give me any more info about it that would help.

It says there are 3 unrecognized parts in my craft, which are:

proceduralTankRealFuels (from ProceduralParts)

srbNosecone and libertySrb (From Liquidhype's random Parts)

01010101lzy, KerbalX didn't know about the Liquidhype mod but I've added that mod now so those parts have been detected. If you get this happening again, you can run the PartMapper tool which will tell KerbalX about the mods you have installed. As well as fixing it for you craft this will help out other users too by extending KerbalX's knowledge about mods.

The other part (proceduralTankRealFuels) doesn't seem to be part of ProceduralParts, is it an extension added in by Real Fuels?

If you can give me any more info about that part it would help.

I any case it would be a good idea if you ran the PartMapper tool, then once that's done, go to your craft, click edit in the top, at the bottom of the edit page there will be a link to "rescan" the craft. That might sort it out.

@katateochi: you need KAX, AJE and ProceduralParts to get those engines, because of their size they don't fit any stock part.

That may be where kerbalx got confused.

I think it's ProceduralParts that is causing KX some confusion. I shall have a look into what's not working!

Katateochi check out

And tell me if its possible to link that add-in to pull search results from kerbalx and even download install and load them in-game (and do the reverse: upload crafts with a sph/vab screenshot)? This could take kerbalx to the next level if so. :)

Katateochi check out

And tell me if its possible to link that add-in to pull search results from kerbalx and even download install and load them in-game (and do the reverse: upload crafts with a sph/vab screenshot)? This could take kerbalx to the next level if so. :)

Hey inigma, well....as it happens;

I'm pleased to announce the release of the first KerbalX.com mod, written by linuxgurugamer. The mod enables you to upload new craft to KerbalX and update existing ones from within the game. It can also generate a picture of the craft and upload it, so it's even easier to post to KerbalX.com.

Download the latest version here.

You can also download craft via the mod, but you need to know the craft's url. There isn't a browsing feature in the mod currently. We'd been thinking about approaching that a little differently; You could be browsing for craft on KerbalX on any machine but instead of downloading the craft you just mark it "for download". Then when you're at your KSP machine and load the game up the mod will check if you have any craft waiting to download and fetch them for you. But if you think something more like the interface shown in that vid would be better let me know.

Hey inigma, well....as it happens;

I'm pleased to announce the release of the first KerbalX.com mod, written by linuxgurugamer. The mod enables you to upload new craft to KerbalX and update existing ones from within the game. It can also generate a picture of the craft and upload it, so it's even easier to post to KerbalX.com.

Download the latest version here.

You can also download craft via the mod, but you need to know the craft's url. There isn't a browsing feature in the mod currently. We'd been thinking about approaching that a little differently; You could be browsing for craft on KerbalX on any machine but instead of downloading the craft you just mark it "for download". Then when you're at your KSP machine and load the game up the mod will check if you have any craft waiting to download and fetch them for you. But if you think something more like the interface shown in that vid would be better let me know.

Oh awesome. I will try the mod. As for interface, I highly recommend being able to browse kX from within the game and download what you see much like selecting craft as seen in that vid. Incorporating local crafts in such an in-game hangar mod with kX would totally rocket that mod to the list of top mods in ksp.

Making browsing for and loading local and kerbalX crafts easier in-game for users just make sense and has been a need for a long time. I could even see ksp knocking on your door for ksp inclusion at some point if you are successful. I imagine that vid showing local craft and kerbalx browsing and loading and uploading...and I start to salivate. It will couple well with ksp's push for multiplayer.

• 2 weeks later...

I suppose I will be addressing Katateochi. Thanks for such a great website! It's pooped the bed on me though...

It says:

[h=1]"Was that the primary buffer panel!?"[/h]

And...

"Something has gone wrong! I have been notified about it and will investigate.

If you feel like being extra helpful, you could leave me a message on the KSP forum Or write a bug report on githib"

There's a BIG 500 in the background.

It happens every time I click "Next" button after inputting image links while uploading .craft . I've tried multiple times thinking it was just something that could be waited out. What should I do?

I suppose I will be addressing Katateochi. Thanks for such a great website! It's pooped the bed on me though...

It says:

[h=1]"Was that the primary buffer panel!?"[/h]

And...

"Something has gone wrong! I have been notified about it and will investigate.

If you feel like being extra helpful, you could leave me a message on the KSP forum Or write a bug report on githib"

There's a BIG 500 in the background.

It happens every time I click "Next" button after inputting image links while uploading .craft . I've tried multiple times thinking it was just something that could be waited out. What should I do?

Sorry you've had issues ShiningCat. I think I know what the problem was, ...you've found a bug!

I think you'd attempted to add a lot of pictures (15?) on the form that's displayed after uploading. The length of all their urls exceeded the 255 char limit for that variable. and it crashed.

(The big 500 is for error 500, which is a web server's way of saying something bad happened, but it doesn't really know what)

Until I fix that, try adding fewer images on that initial form and when it takes you to the edit page after clicking next, then add the other images to the page.

Also, I hope people who do end up on the error page realise the "Was that the primary buffer panel!?" line is a Serenity reference!

Kat, what an amazing achievement! 3D printing enabled!!

Thanks Azimech!

Yes, so!

eucl3d.com 3D Printing is now available on KerbalX

You've probably seen that various craft have a 3D print link on them, and if you click it some magic happens, involving sandstone and some tiny elves (IIRC), and the craft ends up at your door (*charges for magic may apply).

Eucl3d can print craft made in and after 1.0.0 and support a growing range of mods (which you can see here).

And you can also see the full list of craft that can be printed here http://KerbalX.com/printable_craft

Site Update: Craft Stats overhaul -> Dashboard

Part of the site that's always made me shudder was the craft stats page (/stats). It had some useful info but was kinda ugly! The other thing that's annoyed me was I never thought to add in date tracking for when craft are viewed or downloaded, craft just track how often, not when.

So I've fixed those two things. As of today craft track the date-times for when they are downloaded, viewed or 3d printed. On your own craft you can add /stats to their urls to see a graph of views, downloads and prints over time (although right now it's not too interesting, give it a couple days!). You can't see stats for other users or their craft.

The old /stats page has been replaced with a /dashboard page. This has the same info as the stats page used to, but that's been prettied up. It also has a graph of views, downloads & prints for all of your craft, displays recent activity on craft, and the 10 most recent comments on your craft.

The old url http://KerabX.com/stats still works, it just takes you to http://KerabX.com/dashboard now.

Really wanted to get this feature out now, as I'm away for a couple weeks from next Saturday (14th).

Still got improvements to make to it, but I wanted to get the craft tracking data as soon as possible. Other improvements will have to wait till I get back.

Hello katateochi, nice new features!

I have a few suggestions to improve them:

-Show the name of the craft with a link to it above each comment on the dashboard, this way you can know which craft was commented on easily.

-Limit the data panel to a month, right now it goes from 1990 to 2060.

And some overall suggestions:

-Allow me to highlight crafts and hangars at my profile page.

-Make hangars easier to find, right now they are burried.

I hope it helps :)

Hello katateochi, nice new features!

I have a few suggestions to improve them:

-Show the name of the craft with a link to it above each comment on the dashboard, this way you can know which craft was commented on easily.

-Limit the data panel to a month, right now it goes from 1990 to 2060.

And some overall suggestions:

-Allow me to highlight crafts and hangars at my profile page.

-Make hangars easier to find, right now they are burried.

I hope it helps :)

- link to craft on dashboard comments.

There is a link, it just says "context" and is under the message. It doesn't say which craft though, but that's to keep database loading down (so I don't have to load the craft from the database too), I could change that.

- Limit graph axis

tetryds if you're not still building rockets in 2060 I will be very disappointed and it will be a waste of all those numbers I've carefully pre-allocated for you.

Seriously though, it's just a feature for today, as soon as there are two days of data it will sort its scale out. Or if you put the graph into being group by hours now, that sorts the axis out too.

- highlighting craft and hangars on profile page

not sure what you mean by this

Do you think I should merge the "profile" and "dashboard" pages together? At the moment your stats are private, which is why I kept them off the public profile page.

- make hangars easier to find.

yeah I agree, they're not that obvious atm. not really sure how to fix that. I added a link to the header and that increased the traffic to them a bit. I think they almost need to behave like albums on imgur which are listed along with the images, hangars need to appear in the main craft list. But there are some tricky things to sort out with the search to make that work. This will probably be how I approach this though.

I also wanted a button (more like a handle) on the left side of the search interface that said hangars, and clicking it would cause the whole search page to slide across to the right and reveal the hangars under it. Interesting page loading problems aside, I'm just running out of space, can't see where I'd put the "handle".

- link to craft on dashboard comments.

There is a link, it just says "context" and is under the message. It doesn't say which craft though, but that's to keep database loading down (so I don't have to load the craft from the database too), I could change that.

Well, all it needs is the name of the craft, maybe you could pick the name from the end of the link itself?

- Limit graph axis

tetryds if you're not still building rockets in 2060 I will be very disappointed and it will be a waste of all those numbers I've carefully pre-allocated for you.

Seriously though, it's just a feature for today, as soon as there are two days of data it will sort its scale out. Or if you put the graph into being group by hours now, that sorts the axis out too.

I will, but thanks for changing that, yeah I noticed it would be a placeholder but I know this kind of stuff slips sometimes.

- highlighting craft and hangars on profile page

not sure what you mean by this

Do you think I should merge the "profile" and "dashboard" pages together? At the moment your stats are private, which is why I kept them off the public profile page.

I mean something like youtube pages, you select a video to highlight, you should be able to select a craft or a hangar to stand up when someone clicks your profile page.

And by profile page I mean this page: http://kerbalx.com/tetryds

In fact, it would be neat if I could customize it like I can customize craft pages.

- make hangars easier to find.

yeah I agree, they're not that obvious atm. not really sure how to fix that. I added a link to the header and that increased the traffic to them a bit. I think they almost need to behave like albums on imgur which are listed along with the images, hangars need to appear in the main craft list. But there are some tricky things to sort out with the search to make that work. This will probably be how I approach this though.

I also wanted a button (more like a handle) on the left side of the search interface that said hangars, and clicking it would cause the whole search page to slide across to the right and reveal the hangars under it. Interesting page loading problems aside, I'm just running out of space, can't see where I'd put the "handle".

What about having the following filters:

-If a hangar contains at least one of the craft that passes your filter

-If a hangar contains only crafts that pass your filter

-Disable hangar results

-Show hangar results only

Then display hangars on the search among normal crafts you could squish the crafts pictures together and change a bit the way it is displayed so that people know they are hangars.

It wold blend together with the way it is now much better.

Also, gratz for mobile support, the way some tabs move around when you zoom is not optimal but I never had trouble navigating on it.

After that, and whatever else you plan on doing, all you will need is an art pass :)

Awesome update, Kat.

Lot's of really cool and useful info and features. I especially like the addition of craft comments on the new dashboard.

I noticed a small bug. The notifications popup still links to the /stats page.

Also, the notifications didn't clear after going to the dashboard, like it used to when going to the stats page. Is that intentional? Should I click Clear Recent Activity or Dismiss to make it happen?

Well, all it needs is the name of the craft, maybe you could pick the name from the end of the link itself?

I will, but thanks for changing that, yeah I noticed it would be a placeholder but I know this kind of stuff slips sometimes.

I mean something like youtube pages, you select a video to highlight, you should be able to select a craft or a hangar to stand up when someone clicks your profile page.

And by profile page I mean this page: http://kerbalx.com/tetryds

In fact, it would be neat if I could customize it like I can customize craft pages.

What about having the following filters:

-If a hangar contains at least one of the craft that passes your filter

-If a hangar contains only crafts that pass your filter

-Disable hangar results

-Show hangar results only

Then display hangars on the search among normal crafts you could squish the crafts pictures together and change a bit the way it is displayed so that people know they are hangars.

It wold blend together with the way it is now much better.

Also, gratz for mobile support, the way some tabs move around when you zoom is not optimal but I never had trouble navigating on it.

After that, and whatever else you plan on doing, all you will need is an art pass :)

oh I see, a craft or hangar to showcase on your profile. Yeah that could be a nice idea.

Although I might just take the route of making the profile page fully freely customizable like a craft page.

I think it will be something like that for hangars. I need a nice reliable way of generating an image collage from a set of images of unknown dimensions and number, and need to make some quite big changes to the search system. But I think this is the right way to do it.

mobile support?!

One of the things that keeps glaring at me from ontop of my todo list is "mobile compatibility for KX". Because it's got an underlying grid structure the page does work ok on ipad sized screens, but for the mobile sized screens it's pretty poor (and the header does weird things). KX doesn't have any "reactive" elements yet, so it renders the same page for all devices, but I do plan to add in proper mobile support, at least for the main page and craft pages. It won't be straightforward because I really didn't have mobile design in mind when I started, I probably won't be able to be truly "reactive" in the design, it will probably be easier to just have a separate layout for desktops and a reactive layout for all mobile devices.

The new dashboard looks fantastic! I love the graphs.

Oh and I happened to notice a typo at the bottom of the About page. It reads "KerbalX has been live for 435th days". You should probably re-word that.

Nice 1, well spotted. fixed

Awesome update, Kat.

Lot's of really cool and useful info and features. I especially like the addition of craft comments on the new dashboard.

I noticed a small bug. The notifications popup still links to the /stats page.

Also, the notifications didn't clear after going to the dashboard, like it used to when going to the stats page. Is that intentional? Should I click Clear Recent Activity or Dismiss to make it happen?

You guys have hawk eyes! excellent! That link's been updated.

There is still a link to "craft stats" (/stats) on the user sub-menu of the main menu, but I've left that for now so those who were used to it being there can re-adjust.

I've taken out the auto-clearing of notifications when going to the dashboard. I was finding that I'd want to view the craft in recent activity but after clicking on 1, when you returned to the dashboard the list was gone. So now you need to say to clear recent activity on the dashboard (clicking "dismiss" in the popup notification still clears them).

Not 100% sure about the change. I prefer it, but that's not what it's all about! It's something I could quite easily add back in and make a setting; ie: have a checkbox to auto-clear notifications when viewing the dashboard. Let me know if you want that back in.

I love the Dashboard. awesome job!

http://kerbalx.com/dashboard

Thanks man! :)

Something I've wanted for a long time is to have an imgur-like set of views. A "user submitted" view ie what's just been uploaded (the only view KX has now) and also a "most popular" view. That would show craft that are currently generating activity. You could scale it to say "most popular" overall, or "most popular" this week, this month etc.

The current sort options allow you to sort by points or download count, but now a couple craft have established themselves as the masters of those pages and unless they're bested in overall score those pages won't change much.

Now that I'm tracking the date-time of downloads and views as well as just a count, a "most popular this week" view is possible. It wouldn't look at overall count, but just the number of downloads and views within the current week. It would be a more gradually changing view than the "user submitted" view, but would change day by day and would have craft that are both good and current.

Anyway, that's what I'm working on now. Got the server/search side built (mostly; it works, not efficient), but not started on the interface for it. But I'm going to be away for a couple weeks so that will have to wait.