KerbalX.com - Craft & Mission Sharing

katateochi

Here, on the new dashboard page, that DLPV cell from crafts list is rendering above other elements next to it...

I use latest Firefox for windows...

but... in general... it's awesome... KerbalX is really good... Squad should give more support for you... :P

Thanks man!!

Can you send me a screenshot of the glitch?

I'm away for a couple of weeks, so I probably won't get to fixing it right away.

Hi Snacksquatch, thanks for letting me know about this. I'm on holiday atm, so please bear with me on getting this fixed.
I think the problem is because you don't have any comments on your craft and the dash is trying to load comments. My bad!!!
I've left a comment on one of your craft just to test if that sorts this problem. When I'm back from holiday I will put in a proper fix!

Thanks for the screen-shot luizopiloto, I will sort that when I'm back.

Love your site!

I am, however having an error or a bug of sorts:
While I can edit my craft page until my heart is content, when I go to upload a thumb-nail in the new editing interface, as soon as Autosave triggers or even if I save it manually, it refuses to save the thumbnail.

[url]http://kerbalx.com/faulken/craft[/url] (As you can see, no preview image, but if you go to the pages themselves, they are full of images.)

I generally use the most up-to-date version of Chrome on Windows 7 64-bit. I've tried it using ABP/Ghosterly/HTTPS-Everywhere; and with all these addons disabled as well. In addition I downloaded the most recent version of Firefox, addon-free, and attempted to upload a preview image with the same results: Save reverts it back to the stock placeholder.

However, this obviously isn't happening to everyone on KerbalX, because if I sort by craft date, you will see craft with their custom preview images.

I saw above you are on holiday, so I'm not expecting anything instantly, just curious about my issue and bringing it to your attention. Thanks for your time in this matter, and for such a wonderful site.

- FSW

PS: I can confirm the 500-dashboard-error as stated in the post above. (Chrome addon / addon free / Firefox addon free -- all confirmed.)

First off katateochi, love your site. I posted my first craft file on there almost two months ago, and at the time of this post it is now supporting 56 of my craft from my showcase thread. Really thankful for the work you put into the site.

I do have a question however (for anyone that knows really). I would like to clean up my pages a little by changing some of the links to embedded hyperlinks. I tried applying the same tags as on the forums, but when I click on the hyperlink I get the KerbalX "This is not the page you are looking for" error page. I've perused the most recent pages in here but didn't see anyone ask this.

Is there another hyperlink tag method I need to use? Thanks.

Edited by Raptor9
fixed a few migration issues

Hi Guys!! I'm back from hols....woah....what's happened to the forums! wow, the locals said that drink would let me see things differently, didn't expect this! Gonna take some re-adjusting. 

On 24/11/2015, 14:33:24, faulk_wulf said:

Love your site!

I am, however having an error or a bug of sorts:
While I can edit my craft page until my heart is content, when I go to upload a thumb-nail in the new editing interface, as soon as Autosave triggers or even if I save it manually, it refuses to save the thumbnail.
sinp*

faulk_wulf - Thanks man! There is a known issue with images on certain image hosts not being allowed to be set as thumbnails.  I run a check to try to ensure that thumbnails are valid images by checking the content type that is returned.  Certain image hosts seem to return the incorrect content type with the image (ie in this case it's returning a content type of text rather than image).  I need to either relax these rules or try to find a better way of testing image validity.  This is high on my list of things to fix.  In the meanwhile, images hosted on imgur respond correctly, so you could put image there until I fix this.  

On 26/11/2015, 15:59:20, Raptor9 said:

First off katateochi, love your site. I posted my first craft file on there almost two months ago, and at the time of this post it is now supporting 56 of my craft from my showcase thread. Really thankful for the work you put into the site.

I do have a question however (for anyone that knows really). I would like to clean up my pages a little by changing some of the links to embedded hyperlinks. I tried applying the same tags as on the forums, but when I click on the hyperlink I get the KerbalX "This is not the page you are looking for" error page. I've perused the most recent pages in here but didn't see anyone ask this.

Is there another hyperlink tag method I need to use? Thanks.

Raptor9 - The forum style old-forum style tags should work, but must be absolute links (relative links won't work).  You can also try the more reddit/github style for embedded links ie 

[link text here](http://some_url.com/)

Let me know if you still get problems with that.  Love your craft btw and the way you present them. Keep em coming! 

A couple bugs were reported while I was away, just got back yesterday so still recovering from JetLag and trying to remember where I parked my brain. I shall get to fixing them shortly and I'll post updates as I go so you can see what's been fixed.  (mostly things to do with the new dashboard that I released in haste before leaving!).

Do forget to follow, like, share, tell-your-gran and do all the other facebooky type things you can now do with this thread! /sarc ;)

Edited by katateochi
fixing weird things the "improved" forum added. so much for WYSIWYG

Bug Fixes!

Dashboard and Comments loading bug - a school-boy level mistake on my part, if you didn't have any comments on your craft the dashboard failed to load. - Fixed.
@Snacksquatch 

Thumbnail image not being set - Due to a couple of issues with how I verify that an image is actually an image.  I've fixed one aspect of this, but there may still be some image hosts that cause problems.  Try going to one of your craft and seeing if you can now set the thumbnail. 
@faulk_wulf @Guard13007 (and a couple others who've reported this elsewhere).

@luizopiloto I've tried to replicate the layout glitch you're seeing (on windows 7 with FireFox 42.0 (latest I think)), but I'm not getting the overlapping that your image shows.  Can you try this out in another browser on the same machine and see if you still have the issue?  Does anyone else experience this layout issue?
The text in the image you posted looks wrong and I think that is the cause of the layout issues.  The text shouldn't look like that, the letters should be much smoother and clearer to read, that text looks blocky! I think there is something going on with the font, but I'm not sure where the problem is coming from (KerbalX or your machine/browser).  If possible can you also try and view the site from another machine and see if you get the same layout and blocky font?

EDIT
Link fixes after forum changes. Various links to the forum on KX needed updating.
If you have set a link to your KSP forum profile on your KX profile page then you'll need to update that link as all our ids have changed.

Edited by katateochi

• 1 month later...

Hi All! Sorry it's been awhile since I've added anything to KerbalX.  Just pushed a small update that improves a few backend things and adds a little improvement to the new craft page edit interface.  The last major update enabled you to drag containers around the page; now you can drag groups of containers at the same time.  If you hold shift before starting to drag a container, it will also drag any other containers that are below or within the one you're dragging.  Or you can use Ctrl to select a group of containers and then drag them as one (and if you also hold shift, then all selected containers and any container below the selected ones will be moved).  

This makes it easier to add something in at the top of the page.  Before you would have had to drag each thing down one at a time, now you can move the whole page up or down much more easily. 

19 hours ago, adsii1970 said:

What about icons or something for those that financially contribute?

I would really like to do this and have considered it before, but hit a small snag; Some of the donations that I've had come from names that don't correlate to any user details on the site, so I'd not be able to make sure that everyone who's contributed gets acknowledgement on the site.  So I'm not sure how to proceed.  

@katateochi Is there a way to have your craft not appear on the home page after you finish the upload?  I've been uploading a series of space station module subassemblies, and apparently the mass uploading irritated someone enough for him/her to send me a negative comment about upload spamming.  The comment doesn't bother me, but if one person actually posted a comment, others were probably annoyed as well, and I'd rather try to be more "courteous".  I looked around in my user settings for an option to not display the craft on upload, but just wanted to check with you to make sure I didn't miss it, if there is such an option at all.

4 hours ago, Raptor9 said:

@katateochi Is there a way to have your craft not appear on the home page after you finish the upload?  I've been uploading a series of space station module subassemblies, and apparently the mass uploading irritated someone enough for him/her to send me a negative comment about upload spamming.  The comment doesn't bother me, but if one person actually posted a comment, others were probably annoyed as well, and I'd rather try to be more "courteous".  I looked around in my user settings for an option to not display the craft on upload, but just wanted to check with you to make sure I didn't miss it, if there is such an option at all.

There isn't an option to have "hidden" craft at present. I have considered having "private" craft as a subscription feature but that's no more than a vague idea currently.

You probably already ran into the "time limit" which is the only restriction against bulk uploads (limits you to uploading 10 craft at a time). It's not something that seems to happen that often and what I want to prevent is someone just trying to "backup" their entire fleet in one go.  I don't have a problem with how you've uploaded your recent craft, they all seem to be part of one project so makes sense to upload them all together.  

What I may do is to make it so that if you post a craft and then put it into a hangar, it will show the hangar on the front page (as if it was a craft) and then if you kept uploading craft and adding them to the same hangar then it would carry on just showing the hangar.  That would be a bit like posting an album on imgur.  But that has some tricky aspects in order to make it play nice with the search system (which I built long before Hangars were a thing). 

Edited by katateochi

• 3 weeks later...
On 02/02/2016 at 5:13 AM, luizopiloto said:

@katateochi I'v found the problem with the font... The settings for default font of the browser was causing it... :P

Ah cool! I wonder if anyone else has the same thing and why the CSS wasn't overriding it.  

Image Loading Problems
If anyone is having problems with images not loading on the site, I'm aware of this and am looking into it.  The way around it for now is to use https://kerbalx.com instead of just http://kerbalx.com but your browser will complain about the site's certificate (the certifiate is from the host, heroku.com) but just tell it to ignore that and it will be fine. 
oh, grrrr, so on https, embedded youtube vids won't show up. Seriously web, why you do this do me? 
I'm trying to find a solution to this, bear with me! 

It would also be helpful to know how many people are being affected by this. I'm not sure if this is an ISP related problem or what so I'd be interesting to know if some people are unaffected. 

Cheers Guys!

1 hour ago, Val said:

Embedded imgur albums don't show up either on https.

Example:

Both use iframes which currently point to http urls, so what I now know is that the SSL certificate will block any unsecured content. I'll just need to adjust how those iframes are drawn to include the https url instead.

But need to get a signed certificate for KerbalX first which I guess I can either make a self signed one, or just pay the $20 (per year) for one, but I've also got to pay for SSL_endpoints on my host and they want to charge $20 per month for that! So I'm trying to find a way around that atm. 

14 hours ago, StormKat said:

Yeah, imgur images are flaking out.  I noticed on one of my craft images that the link to imgur had a "?2" at the end.

the ?x on the end of imgur urls is when you've edited the image on imgur, the x is the revision number.  So that's ok and should work fine on KX.  
Are you finding that the majority of images on the front page are failing to load? Could you try doing a reset of browser cached data and then reloading the site and tell me if the images load up as expected or if they fail.

I've got my hosting provider looking into this too, it's probably nothing to do with Heroku, but they said they'd have a look for me, I'm waiting to hear back. 
no response from imgur yet and no answers on stackoverflow. 

On 2/3/2016 at 6:12 AM, katateochi said:

Ah cool! I wonder if anyone else has the same thing and why the CSS wasn't overriding it.  

Image Loading Problems
If anyone is having problems with images not loading on the site, I'm aware of this and am looking into it.  The way around it for now is to use https://kerbalx.com instead of just http://kerbalx.com but your browser will complain about the site's certificate (the certifiate is from the host, heroku.com) but just tell it to ignore that and it will be fine. 
oh, grrrr, so on https, embedded youtube vids won't show up. Seriously web, why you do this do me? 
I'm trying to find a solution to this, bear with me! 

It would also be helpful to know how many people are being affected by this. I'm not sure if this is an ISP related problem or what so I'd be interesting to know if some people are unaffected. 

Cheers Guys!

Sweet baby Jesus thank you so much for finding a fix for this! I started to freak because I kept seeing craft from good creators without photos. 

2 hours ago, RYU AZUKU99 said:

Sweet baby Jesus thank you so much for finding a fix for this! I started to freak because I kept seeing craft from good creators without photos. 

This is only a temporary fix.  I'm working on a proper fix which I hope to have soon.

Well I have finally found out the reason behind the image loading problem.  It's not great, but at least the cause is now known and can be tackled.

I had put the placeholder images which are shown when a craft is uploaded without any of it's own pics on Imgur.  Unfortunately this has violated imgur's terms of service and they have currently blocked KerbalX from accessing Imgur!  I have fixed the problem on the site and I am now talking to imgur about getting the block lifted.  I hope this will be sorted soon.  
Meanwhile access the site via https and things should continue to work as normal. 

sorry about this everyone.