Which Moon to Visit (non-atmosphere)

barlow.a

As far as ease of landing, I'd have to say Pol, Bop, or Gilly.

Gilly is a cool moon, but it can get pretty frustrating. Ships tend to drift slowly across the surface because of the low gravity, Kerbals can't walk, and there's no time warp below a certain altitude, so you usually find yourself thrusting towards the surface in order to get there faster.

Edited by Rthsom

Gilly is a horrible, horrible place and I'd rather land on Tylo. In my playing, Gilly has racked up the second highest body count after the Mun and Minmus.

Yes, it's technically "easy" but it's really tedious and annoying and that leads to screw-ups and screw-ups lead to death.

Go for Ike or Vall. Pol and Bop are also pretty annoying, and also the fact that they're technically easier makes landing on them less worthwhile.

Gilly is a horrible, horrible place and I'd rather land on Tylo. In my playing, Gilly has racked up the second highest body count after the Mun and Minmus.

Yes, it's technically "easy" but it's really tedious and annoying and that leads to screw-ups and screw-ups lead to death.

Go for Ike or Vall. Pol and Bop are also pretty annoying, and also the fact that they're technically easier makes landing on them less worthwhile.

Why, you can land with rcs, have minutes to correct any error and so on, I have even laded long mapping satellites on it, just use torque to jump of the surface and trust. As other say the main issue is the long time without timewarp however trust towards it with 20 m/s solves the problem.

One annoying issue is that it rotates pretty fast while you move slow so it can be hard to nail down an landing spot.

Mechjeb landing autopilot don't work but it might give some indication on where you will land.

I found Gilly fun. The gravity's so low it's like you're practically in space. The main thing is I think be patient. If you gotta wait to descend you gotta wait to descend.

Minmus is cool, of course. Very few other places have dead flat expanses like it does.

And while I've never landed there, Vall certainly looks striking.

I'm colourblind and have never understood why Minmus should be minty or cheesy....

Anyway, my pick for coolest moon is Ike, as long as you land on a place where you can see Duna. The only problem is that the nights are so extremely long, no batteries can help you.

I found Gilly fun. The gravity's so low it's like you're practically in space. The main thing is I think be patient. If you gotta wait to descend you gotta wait to descend.

Minmus is cool, of course. Very few other places have dead flat expanses like it does.

Yes, this was while moving an base back in 0.18.

lo7u8cZ.jpg

Try to do stuff like this other places :)

Problem with Gilly is that time warp cuts off at a ridiculously high altitude; all that waiting leads to dangerous attempts to speed things up or falling asleep at the wheel.

Vall has a pretty landscape, and near-perfect gravity: low enough for easy landings, high enough to make rovers work well.

Vall, then Ike, then Pol. Vall has a good combination of easy and difficult terrain, plus great sky views. Ike is similar and easier to get to, but doesn't have Vall's cool Easter egg. Pol is my favorite for low gravity silliness.

Edited by Norcalplanner
correcting the stinkin' auto-correct

I'd have to say Minmus, Pol, and then Vall.

Minmus is the mint icecream of joy that's nearby, has lots of flats, and low gravity for silliness. Pol is like a spiky, majestic low grav place, and Vall is definitely pretty.

Just be prepared for invisible ship-eating walls on Pol..

Why, you can land with rcs, have minutes to correct any error and so on, I have even laded long mapping satellites on it, just use torque to jump of the surface and trust. As other say the main issue is the long time without timewarp however trust towards it with 20 m/s solves the problem.

One annoying issue is that it rotates pretty fast while you move slow so it can be hard to nail down an landing spot.

Mechjeb landing autopilot don't work but it might give some indication on where you will land.

Exactly. You have minutes to correct any error. You have minutes of just doing nothing. And then you try to speed up to land, and then BOOM you crashed by accident.

You can't timewarp, sometimes you have to wait for 10s of minutes. Sort of like firing an ion thruster except you can switch to another window when firing ion thrusters. If you do that when landing on Gilly you crash into it and die.

Also, the terrain is really hilly and annoying. Makes the lack of timewarp worse because you don't know how long you have until you hit the ground.

And about landing with RCS, technically you can land on any moon with RCS. I landed on Tylo with RCS, because it made the entire thing lighter than non-RCS would have been.

For some reason no one agrees with me when it comes to planets and moons.

Also, the terrain is really hilly and annoying. Makes the lack of timewarp worse because you don't know how long you have until you hit the ground.

There's a radar altimeter in the IVA of most pods (just not the ones that have placeholder IVAs), FYI.

I have to say I'm not the biggest fan of Gilly. It's fun once or twice, but gets old fast. And it's an ugly, nasty space potato otherwise (just like Dres! >.> ).

For some reason no one agrees with me when it comes to planets and moons.

Uhoh not this joke again. >.<

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.