Jool without nuclear

:sigh:... You don't use nuclear engines for everything you know? I got to jool with alot of fuel to spare using 3.75 meter parts while playing DMP (Dark MultiPlayer), i remember i was trying to make a probe-deployment thingy for each moon.

Also you should check the rules for posting challenges, you should add rules and a scoreboard too.

You may also want to lay down some ground rules, I can get to Jool with the FASA Saturn V (with the right payload) without NERVAs.

If you really want to make this a challenge, you need to set up some rules, like no mods, no kraken-drives, no hyper edit, etc. Also, you should come up with some way to score it. Start by looking at how the other challenges are set up.

Welcome to the Challenge Forum! :cool:

Maybe include something to do while at Jool. Maybe get Science or surface samples to return? Or, some lander goals.. especially around Laythe with it's air-breathing engine-y goodness.

This is a Laythe landing mission in the KSP overhaul mod BTSM for The "Better Than Starting Manned" Career Challenge.

Laythe air-breathing two-stage lander

iVKyQmel.png

Javascript is disabled. View full album

No pics of the launch vehicles, total mass of each launcher was around 1300t

My Joolpollo ship (Link below, it's the last series in the Kerpollo program) which did the Jool 5 Challenge didn't have nukes. Granted, the refuelling ship did but I could have just bailed and completed this challenge.

My Eelpollo ship (Link below as well, same place) went to Eeloo, landed, and came back with no nukes. It also brought a "Sunpollo" ship to get "low over sun" science.

Get to Jool or eeloo without using nuclear engines of any kind.

for a harder challenge do it without using rcs of any kind as well. Good luck.

My entry:

Bill's Amazing Adventure, or See Eeloo on $5 per day

Eeloo, landing-flagplant, and back for 'landing' at the KSC launch pad.

No Solid rockets

No RCS

No Nukes

No Oxidizer

NO PARACHUTES

only 2635 kg, including Bill

• 2 weeks later...

I would submit my Jool5 challenger, a half SSTO half moon lander that runs on Ion propulsion, Jets, and an LV-909 for the Tylo landing.

The entire vessel weighs in at only 13,565kg at launch and stopped at all the moons of Jool before returning to Kerbin. As a side benefit, it has no RCS control either, docking the ion lander back with the command pod was more of a controlled crash than it was a docking procedure.

You'll find the entire breakdown of the mission here: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/57197-The-Ultimate-Jool-5-Challenge-land-Kerbals-on-all-moons-and-return-in-one-big-mission?p=1475782&viewfull=1

The short and sweet album:

The full album:

Most of my nuclear-powered Stock+FAR spaceplanes have Delta-V in the 4000-8000 m/s range. My giant (3 kilotonne) HPD-powered plane has even better, at something like 10 km/s delta-V. If I switched to using 390-ISP engines, I could probably get 3000. It shouldn't be too hard to SSTO this if return isn't required.

I built a little ship for the 500 Unit challenge, it gets to LKO with about 6km/s of delta-V remaining in the non-nuclear rocket stage which is easily enough for a return trip to Eeloo or Jool.

screenshot405.png

Aside from chemical rockets, it is easy to do such a mission with ions or RCS. Just build small.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.