NASA - Adaptable, Deployable Entry Placement Technology (ADEPT) by OLDD (26.04.14)

DennyTX

Try this one https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/72893034/DDS/OLDD_DDS.zip Fixed the node changed it to ModuleAnimateGeneric and converted the textures to DDS.

I tried to use this for an Eve lander and it exploded very early during entry, before any ablator had time to burn off. I might try to tweak it a bit, as it's such a great model and [potentially] useful piece.

I tried to use this for an Eve lander and it exploded very early during entry, before any ablator had time to burn off. I might try to tweak it a bit, as it's such a great model and [potentially] useful piece.

Which size did you use looking at what, I have in my install, I missed the size 3 on some of the settings ?

I used the 5m version, stock aero. The maxtemp was set at 999, which is very low compared to other heatshields (The stock 3.75m heatshield is 3500), so that might be the culprit. I'll probably just match it with some other ones and try it again.

• 3 weeks later...

Something wrong with configuration of this shields. Not shields - no AblativeShielding resource and ModuleHeatShield on parts in game. But the configuration file contains this! Also, maxTemperature in config and in game are not equal.

That's the problem - I'm using them with DRE. And it's not working - no ablative shielding, no protection for another parts. And interesting thing - there is no lead ballast resource I found in .cfg. How?

Edited by ArXen42

That's the problem - I'm using them with DRE. And it's not working - no ablative shielding, no protection for another parts. And interesting thing - there is no lead ballast resource I found in .cfg. How?

Quite strange, I use them with stock and had do modify them pretty badly.

But they were made for a much older version of DRE so might be mismatching by now.

Here's a patch file for 1.0.3 from the upcoming (unreleased) Deadly Reentry update

Please note that you do not actually REQUIRE Deadly Reentry to use this patch. It will work for stock too.

Also note that it is not configured with any heat shield because it does not actually require it. It only needs a high emission value and a large surface area to radiate from, which it has when deployed.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/14xwz9d460mmwl1/OLDD.ADEPT.cfg?dl=1

Thank you so much for the patch, Starwaster.

While I really appreciate your effort, I had to tweak this patch to achieve acceptable results.

Using stock aero (1.0.4), I deployed the ADEPT shield for a reentry from a 100km x 100km orbit, and it exploded half-way to the ground. Also, the heat conductivity was still too high.

So, I've tweaked maxTemp = 4000 and heatConductivity = 0.001 (although this one might be a bit overpowered).

Cheers!

Thank you so much for the patch, Starwaster.

While I really appreciate your effort, I had to tweak this patch to achieve acceptable results.

Using stock aero (1.0.4), I deployed the ADEPT shield for a reentry from a 100km x 100km orbit, and it exploded half-way to the ground. Also, the heat conductivity was still too high.

So, I've tweaked maxTemp = 4000 and heatConductivity = 0.001 (although this one might be a bit overpowered).

Cheers!

You don't say how much mass you're trying to land which is a definite factor.

But I think if you're having to make changes like that then it's probably your reentry profile; it sounds like you're coming in too steep instead of shallow, which would allow the shield's increased drag to slow you down while you're still high up where the air is thinner.

Seriously though, 4000 Kelvin is above the melting point of titanium and 400 below the melting point of iridium. That's way more overpowered than the conductivity that you set.

Having said that, I see a few places in the config that could be tweaked to enhance survivability without going overboard. The part's internal conduction (from its skin to its interior) should be raised, which would let the shield use more of its thermal mass. Maybe even have its skinThermalMassModifier raised which would do the same thing basically... I'll tweak it further and update it today.

Good point, I forgot to post those details.

I was landing this. Total mass = 5T.

This is my reentry profile. Pic 2. It's a quarter of the planet's reentry. It wasn't too shallow, but I don't think it was too steep either (at least until 1.0.2).

Yeah, I'd guess those values are overpowered after all, but for the game result I was having, they seemed just right.

Anyway. Thank you for the answer and, in advance, for the upcoming patch. :) As always, your effort is much appreciated.

Well that's a little odd, I've landed one of those capsules using that same sized shield... maybe I'm wrong and steeper is the way to go here. (except that in 1.0.4, steep reentries are a lot more deadlier than in 1.0.2... or sometimes even than in previous versions of DRE!)

Another odd thing is that you're not coming in that fast. A maxTemp of 2750 should be enough....

On a side note, we don't really know what these things are made of. He based the model on a heat shield proposal that NASA is considering... if it's made of carbon fiber then its thermal tolerance could be pretty high. (carbon fiber doesn't have much left to 'burn', it's already burned and gone to hell. You'd probably need chlorine trifluoride to burn it)

Thanks for the update. Here's my results, on the same situation:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

First, I think I should point that I'm using emissiveConstant = 0.95 instead of 0.9. Although I believe this only makes it a bit more resistant.

Now, it didn't explode this time, which is really good. But it had overheat up to very concerning levels, given the orbit apoapsis before reentry. Let alone an Eve aerocapture.

At 55km, the temperature gauge was already showing up. Not sure if I should be concerned about that on 1.0.4; but since it's a 100km orbit, I guess I should.

At arount 35km, the overheat meter showed up. Also, the temperature gauge popped up in the MK 1-2.

At 13~10km, the overheat meter reached its apogee, at ~60%. From that point, things started cooling down real quick, and the speed decreased real fast.

Again, your support is really appreciated, Starwaster. Thank you so much. for your time.

Edited by Kowgan

At 55km, the temperature gauge was already showing up. Not sure if I should be concerned about that on 1.0.4; but since it's a 100km orbit, I guess I should.

That's to keep you on your toes!

At arount 35km, the overheat meter showed up. Also, the temperature gauge popped up in the MK 1-2.

Hmmmm... not sure why. I actually decreased conductivity even further down from what you had, by one place. There's also skin-skin conductivity which I set to 0.001... it's probably coming from that one but I didn't experience that kind of heating on my payload

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

If anyone is sill up for supporting this, I'd like to report my current experience.

Although all the numbers since @Starwaster's last update seem to be correct, the shield fails to deliver a RoveMate probe core to Eve's surface, from a 120x120km orbit, while on the other hand, a stock 2.5m heatshield does that without any difficulties. The ADEPT shield won't blow up, but anything behind it will.

My guess is that, somehow, the ADEPT shield model isn't configured correctly, and the heat is passing directly through it, as if it didn't exist. That would explain the parts behind it overheating and exploding.
This can be compared on the following pics:
Stock heatshield:
http://puu.sh/mn7PF/bba4ac817e.jpg
http://puu.sh/mn7RE/70745a6629.jpg

ADEPT:
http://puu.sh/mn4aP/ca851f63db.jpg
http://puu.sh/mn4dY/e7b95a8ca2.jpg

The last picture also shows something curious. With the thermal overlay turned on, the only two ADEPT parts to light up are the center circle and the metal strips. The carbon fiber won't light itself up, as if the game didn't recognize it as an obstacle. Not sure if this has to do with anything, though.

17 hours ago, Kowgan said:

If anyone is sill up for supporting this, I'd like to report my current experience.

Although all the numbers since @Starwaster's last update seem to be correct, the shield fails to deliver a RoveMate probe core to Eve's surface, from a 120x120km orbit, while on the other hand, a stock 2.5m heatshield does that without any difficulties. The ADEPT shield won't blow up, but anything behind it will.

My guess is that, somehow, the ADEPT shield model isn't configured correctly, and the heat is passing directly through it, as if it didn't exist. That would explain the parts behind it overheating and exploding.
This can be compared on the following pics:
Stock heatshield:
http://puu.sh/mn7PF/bba4ac817e.jpg
http://puu.sh/mn7RE/70745a6629.jpg

ADEPT:
http://puu.sh/mn4aP/ca851f63db.jpg
http://puu.sh/mn4dY/e7b95a8ca2.jpg

The last picture also shows something curious. With the thermal overlay turned on, the only two ADEPT parts to light up are the center circle and the metal strips. The carbon fiber won't light itself up, as if the game didn't recognize it as an obstacle. Not sure if this has to do with anything, though.

might be fixed (worked around) in Deadly Reentry's configs. Are you using DRE? If not I'll post the relevant cfg...

But basically there is a problem with the mesh's normals IIRC. (@NathanKell went over their rendered drag cubes and they were a mess... and I'm not sure I've properly tagged him because, mobile :(:()

Edited by Starwaster

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.