[WIP][Plugin][0.3.3] Flight Computer - Fully automated flight, programmable via VPL

pixartist

I don't really understand. What do you want the rmb to do ?

When you are in flight, you typically select an object, like a fuel tank, and with rmb you can see fuel levels, turn off flow, do any of the items that are listed. It would be very useful to be able to have access to the options / toggles / values that are available.

I will put together a set of screen grabs and try to document / display better for you later today....

The more i use this, the more i like it....

Again, really good work...

That is correct. Any value displayed, like if you have a thermometer, or g-meter... Have the ability to toggle the state (on / off) and display the values. If the program could watch what parts are there and then have ablility to lookup / know what values or toggles are available and then use them...

This is a very large and complicated with, and I post it for thought.... I am happy with what it can currently do and I look forward to any additions...

thanksl

What do you mean by "FAR's Max Q" ?

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/20451-0-25-Ferram-Aerospace-Research-v0-14-3-2-10-21-14

It's an enhanced aerodynamics model for KSP. Max Q is dynamic pressure http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max_Q

For example, the retired space shuttle would throttle down it's main engine when close to "Max Q" dynamic pressure to relieve stress on the aircraft. FAR models that.

I'm working on a mod with a similar concept but different implementation. The maneuvering you can achieve with the VPL though is impressive.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/20451-0-25-Ferram-Aerospace-Research-v0-14-3-2-10-21-14

It's an enhanced aerodynamics model for KSP. Max Q is dynamic pressure http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max_Q

For example, the retired space shuttle would throttle down it's main engine when close to "Max Q" dynamic pressure to relieve stress on the aircraft. FAR models that.

I'm working on a mod with a similar concept but different implementation. The maneuvering you can achieve with the VPL though is impressive.

That's very mod specific. It's not too likely I will implement that too soon.

@pixartist: I saw your thread in the plugin support area about action groups and was interested to take a look and see how you solved it as I'm also working with action groups on one of my mods.

However, I can't find your source code linked anywhere. Just wanted to point you towards the Add-on posting rules, notably that all add-ons must have both the source code available somewhere, either online at a website like GitHub or included in the download .zip (This rules thread is stickied in the Add-On releases forum, but still applies here as you are distributing a mod.)

Also, you must declare which license you are releasing this under and that must be stated in the opening post of your release thread *and* in a text file inside your .zip download.

Just a heads up to take care of this before the moderators come along and have to take action.

D.

@pixartist: I saw your thread in the plugin support area about action groups and was interested to take a look and see how you solved it as I'm also working with action groups on one of my mods.

However, I can't find your source code linked anywhere. Just wanted to point you towards the Add-on posting rules, notably that all add-ons must have both the source code available somewhere, either online at a website like GitHub or included in the download .zip (This rules thread is stickied in the Add-On releases forum, but still applies here as you are distributing a mod.)

Also, you must declare which license you are releasing this under and that must be stated in the opening post of your release thread *and* in a text file inside your .zip download.

Just a heads up to take care of this before the moderators come along and have to take action.

D.

Source code link with license file added

@pixartist: Thank you for that.

First, nice coding skills you have, well beyond mine. It actually took me a bit to figure out how you handled custom actions. (I think I have figured it out anyway.)

If I read your code right, you are making an action for each Custom Action group that goes on the Flight Computer part and assigning each action to the appropriate group via the action's name. (I could not find any other place where you are actually assigning the action to the group.) Then when the player triggers that action group, the Flight Computer gets the "execute action" message and does what is programmed into that action.

My only comment would be caution the player that this does not stop the normal behavior of action groups. If you assign Custom Action Group 3 via this mod to do something, but also have your Solar Panel deployment action on group 3, both actions will execute. (Assuming I'm reading your code correctly.)

Overall, a very interesting mod though, I will be keeping an eye on it.

D.

@pixartist: Thank you for that.

First, nice coding skills you have, well beyond mine. It actually took me a bit to figure out how you handled custom actions. (I think I have figured it out anyway.)

If I read your code right, you are making an action for each Custom Action group that goes on the Flight Computer part and assigning each action to the appropriate group via the action's name. (I could not find any other place where you are actually assigning the action to the group.) Then when the player triggers that action group, the Flight Computer gets the "execute action" message and does what is programmed into that action.

My only comment would be caution the player that this does not stop the normal behavior of action groups. If you assign Custom Action Group 3 via this mod to do something, but also have your Solar Panel deployment action on group 3, both actions will execute. (Assuming I'm reading your code correctly.)

Overall, a very interesting mod though, I will be keeping an eye on it.

D.

Well the custom action work just like any other action group action, except that instead of having a predefined effect, they will trigger the "Custom Action" nodes with the specific id value in the VPL-Code

Is this just for fun or are you looking for a job? I hear Blizzard Entertainment is hiring people for the Hearthstone team. <.<

How many hours spent on this so far?

Hmm I worked on this for about a week now. Not even close to full time though. Hours ? I don't know :(

Also, I don't know if I'm even close to blizzards standards ;)

edit: I just realized you work for Blizzard. Are you suggesting I had a chance with an application ?

Edited by pixartist

Very neat. One implementation question: does the flight computer override player input (like MechJeb) or does it trigger action groups etc. separately (like Smart Parts)? I'd be very interested in RemoteTech integration, and this would effect whether the two mods are compatible or not.

It overrides player input currently, but you can still interfere with the vessel. It really depends on how your program works. If you specify an SAS target every tick for example, you won't be able to do much via player input.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.