[1.4] SpaceY Heavy-Lifter Parts Pack v1.17.1 (2018-04-02)

NecroBones

Thanks though. :) The ratite does get pretty hot at the end of ascent, but it's not too bad.
Yep, I dropped the R7's heat rate by 25%. It's still a hot engine, but much closer to the stock engine balance than before.

I just wanted to add-- I figured this was a good adjustment to do first, since it's only slightly hotter (per ton) than the other engines. We can always tweak it again later, but this seemed like a good starting point.

Just wanna say I think SpaceY rocket engines are simply lovely! Plus with Stockalike RF Configs I can use in RO >:3

http://orig01.deviantart.net/a47e/f/2015/211/0/1/screenshot_2015_07_30__09_51_31_by_duchessvonkibbles-d93fxh3.png

Kiwi configed for high-energy upper stage^

Hey awesome! Glad you're putting it to good use. :)

It's both. You can put one in the center, bit it sits a little higher than the 1.25m mounts. As you discovered, the lower one is for use as an interstage adapter with shroud.

Curse you for telling me that. Now I'm going to have to go re-design my current project to integrate both the nuclear lightbulb in the center, and either cryo engines or some other near future engine on the outside :P

Curse you for telling me that. Now I'm going to have to go re-design my current project to integrate both the nuclear lightbulb in the center, and either cryo engines or some other near future engine on the outside :P

LOL sorry (not really). :) I'm sure it'll be a lot more awesome with the lightbulb. :)

Continued kudos for what I consider to be the most useful parts pack out there.

One small request - is there any possibility of a 1.5x or 2x version of the largest 5m tank, either as part of this mod or as part of FTP? I've been using the 2x 2.5m and 3.75m tanks a lot as a first stage tank, and it helps a lot with avoiding the downward CoM shifts that happen with stacked tanks. It would be great if the 5m tanks had something similar.

Thanks again for all your efforts.

Edited by Norcalplanner
Typos and clarification

LOL sorry (not really). :) I'm sure it'll be a lot more awesome with the lightbulb. :)

I spent five days just designing/testing my ore harvesting landers (and then threw out all the previous testing when I changed it completely), Making me redesign something I haven't even gotten to theory-crafting yet is making me mad :P

Continued kudos for what I consider to be the most useful parts pack out there.

One small request - is there any possibility of a 1.5x or 2x version of the largest 5m tank, either as part of this mod or as part of FTP? I've been using the 2x 2.5m and 3.75m tanks a lot as a first stage tank, and it helps a lot with avoiding the downward CoM shifts that happen with stacked tanks. It would be great if the 5m tanks had something similar.

Glad you like it! Larger tanks are possible, but I'd probably keep it here, since FTP so far isn't assuming people have 5m parts available. Technically the largest tank in SpaceY is already 1.5x, when you compare it to the lengths of the orange Jumbo, and larger 3.75m Kerbodyne tank. Adding a 2x on top of that might work. And maybe a 3x (double the current longest tank)? That would be huge, but I know how much it helps to reduce part count in a launch system.

I think you're right. Double the current size (3x standard length) would probably be a bit too big. After looking at the current lengths, I think that either a 15m or 18.75m tank would probably be more appropriate. Thanks again for considering this.

Dear... lord... Man should not have this much power.

WHOO!

Mega-lift boosters!

Woohooo! Now we just need colossal rocketry to go with them. 7m rocket parts anyone?

Dear... lord... Man should not have this much power.

Still significantly smaller than the aerojet 260. (260 inch/6.6m diameter. They only ever built and test-fired the half-length ones, which had 16000 to 17000 kN thrust. Full length ones would have had double the thrust - about the same as an entire five-engine Saturn V first stage).

Heheh, I'm glad you all like these. :) They're pretty powerful, but the balance with the other parts still looks good so far. They're a pretty good scaling of the existing SRBs. For now, there are two lengths, both with the same internal TWR and burn time (thrust is scaled linearly with fuel mass between them).

I decided to do a repaint, since they were very hard to tell apart from the 2.5m models in the menus.

More power... Muahaha! :)

KSP%202015-08-04%2010-05-47-49.jpg

Holy zippity-doo-dahs! I think you're fast approaching the point that rockets built with your boosters won't lift off, they'll just push the planet out from underneath them...

Edited by Jack Wolfe

I reworked the 2.5m and 3.75m SRBs to have single nozzles, since the quad-nozzle thing keeps confusing people.

KSP%202015-08-05%2012-42-58-80.jpg

KSP%202015-08-05%2014-02-32-90.jpg

Holy zippity-doo-dahs! I think you're fast approaching the point that rockets built with your boosters won't lift off, they'll just push the planet out from underneath them...

LOL :)

I reworked the 2.5m and 3.75m SRBs to have single nozzles, since the quad-nozzle thing keeps confusing people.

http://ksp.necrobones.com/screenshots/2015-08/KSP%202015-08-05%2012-42-58-80.jpg

http://ksp.necrobones.com/screenshots/2015-08/KSP%202015-08-05%2014-02-32-90.jpg

LOL :)

Confusing people how? I didn't see anybody post about being confused.

Confusing people how? I didn't see anybody post about being confused.

It comes up infrequently, but it does happen. NovaSilisko asked about it on the KSP subreddit when I posted pictures of the new 3.75m SRBs. I'm just getting tired of telling people that we did find a historical precedent. Heh. :)

-----

Oh, and check out this monster... ;)

KSP%202015-08-05%2014-30-46-89.jpg

Aww really? The quad nozzles look so much cooler - especially b/c solid rocket motors don't scale up as well as liquid motors. Having the 3.75 SRBs basically be 4 smaller SRBs in one shell makes more sense IMO. Just to offer some input.

Aww really? The quad nozzles look so much cooler - especially b/c solid rocket motors don't scale up as well as liquid motors. Having the 3.75 SRBs basically be 4 smaller SRBs in one shell makes more sense IMO. Just to offer some input.

Cool, thanks. :) Yeah, it's always possible to go back later. Cosmetic changes aren't save-breaking. For now though, I used this as an opportunity to clean up some things in the textures and make a few subtle improvements.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.