Biome Hopper Challenge (Open for v0.90!)

Claw

Biome Hopper Challenge – For Science!

Now Open for v0.90!

With the addition of biomes in v0.90, I am opening up this challenge to all bodies (and will split the achievement board accordingly, if there are new entries). This challenge is to build a single craft capable of hopping and sciencing in as many biomes as possible.

This is meant to be more of a demonstrator challenge to generate clever designs. So yes, there is a lot more science available, but the point is to build the craft and demonstrate that it can grab science. I was thinking of restricting it to a certain tech level or cost cap, but I’m more interested in seeing novel/unique solutions to biome hopping. The idea is to design a craft that people can look at or use that doesn’t feel like a grind. It can be massive or micro; a whole craft or science drop pods; orbital, sub-orbital, rocket, air-breather, etc...

RULES

1. Hyper edit, save file edits, .cfg edits, ALT+F12 cheats, and other similar god-like powers are not allowed.

2. No abuse of physics or bugs (kraken drives, infiniglide, etc…)

- 2a. Intake stacking is allowed and is not considered abuse of bugs (maybe just abuse of design).

3. Clipping is allowed (to include ALT+F-12 clipping) as long as you aren’t abusing physics.

4. There is no limit on the number of parts, cost, science tier, or time for the mission. (Although cost and science tier are useful things to include with your submission.)

- 4a. "Hopper" isn't meant to exclude any particular type of craft. Crawlers and rovers are more than welcome.

5. The craft must be built and launched in a single launch from the VAB or SPH. No launch pad, field, or orbital assemblies. And once the craft is launched, it’s launched. Don’t recover it part way through and launch it again (unless you’re starting over).

- 5a. You may recover the craft and/or any released sub-components anywhere on Kerbin. Anything recovered counts toward completion but may not be relaunched.

- 5b. You may detach and reattach components to the craft. Examples include dropping science pods, detaching and reattaching a rover, or docking with a science lab.

6. Refueling – Allowed if you fly fuel to the craft or take the craft to a refueling depot.

- 6a. The refueler is in no way allowed to participate in the mission other than providing fuel. This means it cannot fly more kerbals there, act as a tug, be a science lab, offload or recover science data, or any other required mission tasks.

- 6b. The cost of refueling operations should count in your total mission cost (if you’re keeping track).

7. Required Science per Biome (and the rational for collecting it)

• Crew Report – So that you have to bring a kerbal and capsule of some kind.
  • Soil Sample – Because your kerbal should be able to get out, walk around, and get back in.
    -- Optionally plant a flag for your later proof picture.
  • Temperature – To prove that you won’t forget about the little sensors.
  • Mystery Goo – Because I want to see how you solve the goo’s limitations.

- 7a. You may take more science devices if desired.

- 7b. For the purpose of this challenge, only ground science (in the “landed†and/or “splashed†biomes on Kerbin) should be collected. You may collect airborne or spaceborne science, but it doesn't count as additional biomes.

- 7c. All science collected must be recovered.

- 7d. All biomes must be outside the lighter colored area surrounding KSC, or roughly more than 5km from KSC. In other words, none of the biomes on KSC (runway, launch pad, VAB, etc) count toward the total biomes collected.

8. Proof! – It’s not required to be a huge, step-by-step album unless you want to share. (Modified Slightly)

- 8a. Please Include a picture of your whole craft in the VAB/SPH.

- 8b(1). Take a picture at each landed or splashed location, preferably of your kerbal on the ground and the craft somewhere in the picture.

OR

- 8b(2). Take at least one picture at a landed or splashed location with your kerbal on the ground and the craft somewhere in the picture. Also include a map view picture of the celestial body with all planted flags visible so they can be counted.

- 8c. Include the following information with your submission:

Craft Name (if you’re feeling clever):

Stock / Non-Stock Entry:

Celestial Body:

Number of Biomes:

Total Mission Cost (Optional):

Highest Science Tier (Optional):

Craft File (Optional):

Although it’s not a scoring factor, please also include the cost of your craft and what tier science is used (if you can) so others may learn from your design. For cost, use the VAB/SPH readout before any strategies are applied.

9. Stock vs. Non-Stock

• Stock – All stock parts and physics.
    - MechJeb, KER, RCS Build Aid, and other engineering add-ons are allowed for engineering/design work. (The idea here being that you should be able to remove the non-stock components and the craft still works as advertised.)
    - If your engineering add-ons are used for more than just engineering/information, please list your entry as non-stock.
  • Non-Stock – Non-stock parts and add-ons are allowed.
    - Please avoid god-like powers in the spirit of Rule 1 (i.e. still no hyper-edits, etc...).

ACCOMPLISHMENT BOARDS

Entries are rank ordered based on the number of biomes collected. For the purposes of ordering, “landed†and “splashed†situations count as separate biomes, assuming the required science was collected for each.

The two accomplishment boards (stock and non-stock) are further split by celestial body (any moons will be listed under the parent planet). I've also added a "Multi-SOI" listing for those entries that span multiple planetary SOIs.

Stock Entries

[table=width: 1000, class: grid, align: center]

[tr]

[td=width: 125]User[/td]

[td=width: 200]Craft[/td]

[td=width: 125]Celestial Body[/td]

[td=width: 125]# of Biomes[/td]

[td=width: 200]Cost (Craft / Expenses)[/td]

[td=width: 100]Science Tier[/td]

[/tr]

[tr][td]MULTI-SOI[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]MOHO[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]EVE[/td][/tr]

[tr]

[td]

astrobond

[/td]

[td]Biome Catcher[/td]

[td]Eve & Gilly[/td]

[td]10[/td]

[td]872,236 / 284,805[/td]

[td]High (SLS)[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]

Foxster

[/td]

[td]Never Again[/td]

[td]Eve[/td]

[td]6[/td]

[td]?? / ??[/td]

[td]High (SLS)[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]

Foxster

[/td]

[td]Must Be a Better Way[/td]

[td]Eve[/td]

[td]2[/td]

[td]?? / ??[/td]

[td]High (SLS)[/td]

[/tr]

[tr][td]KERBIN[/td][/tr]

[tr]

[td]

Starhawk

[/td]

[td]Munar Science Harvester[/td]

[td]Mun[/td]

[td]11[/td]

[td]179,640 / 149,300[/td]

[td]Mid[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]

dippercandy

[/td]

[td]Biome MIRV[/td]

[td]Kerbin[/td]

[td]8[/td]

[td]375,000 / ??[/td]

[td]Full Tree[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]

Foxster

[/td]

[td]The Cheetah X8[/td]

[td]Kerbin[/td]

[td]8[/td]

[td]?? / ??[/td]

[td]High (SLS)[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]

GoSlash27

[/td]

[td]Kerbilab (w/ detachable rover)[/td]

[td]Kerbin[/td]

[td]8[/td]

[td]?? / ??[/td]

[td]Mid to High[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]

Leibniz

[/td]

[td]Minmus Flea[/td]

[td]Minmus[/td]

[td]6[/td]

[td]18,748 / ~4,000 [/td]

[td]Low[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]

danrod963 (First Time Poster)

[/td]

[td]Biome Hunter[/td]

[td]Mun[/td]

[td]5 (capable of 6)[/td]

[td]290,126 / ~289,100 [/td]

[td]5[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]

Bill Zarr

[/td]

[td]Science Rover & Lab Rover Module[/td]

[td]Kerbin[/td]

[td]4 (capable of all)[/td]

[td]86,739/ ~6,000[/td]

[td]Mid[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]

Claw

[/td]

[td]Spider[/td]

[td]Kerbin[/td]

[td]4[/td]

[td]19,776 / 100[/td]

[td]Mid[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]

Laie

[/td]

[td]Hopper T30 / Hopper 909 (Low tech, short range)[/td]

[td]Kerbin (Near KSC Hopper)[/td]

[td]1 (capable of 6)[/td]

[td]16,700 / 1200-1900[/td]

[td]Low - 3 or 4[/td]

[/tr]

[tr][td=width: 200]DUNA[/td][/tr]

[tr]

[td]

astrobond

[/td]

[td]Duna Ike Biomes Catcher[/td]

[td]Duna / Ike[/td]

[td]13[/td]

[td]196,243 / 5,603[/td]

[td]High[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]

Jasonden

[/td]

[td]DoDuna1[/td]

[td]Duna[/td]

[td]5[/td]

[td]80,200 / ~75,000[/td]

[td]Mid[/td]

[/tr]

[tr][td=width: 200]DRES[/td][/tr]

[tr]

[td]

Foxster

[/td]

[td]Crabby Patty[/td]

[td]Dres (capable of 11)[/td]

[td]1 (capable of more)[/td]

[td]?? / ??[/td]

[td]High[/td]

[/tr]

[tr][td]JOOL[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]EELOO[/td][/tr]

[tr]

[td]

Foxster

[/td]

[td]Crabby Combo[/td]

[td]Eeloo[/td]

[td]7[/td]

[td]?? / ??[/td]

[td]High[/td]

[/tr]

[/table]

Non-Stock Entries

[tr]

[td=width: 125]User[/td]

[td=width: 200]Cost (Craft / Expenses)[/td]

[td=width: 100]Science Tier[/td]

[/tr]

[tr][td]MULTI-SOI[/td][/tr]

[tr]

[td]

Niknack

[/td]

[td]Science Project (MJ, KJR)[/td]

[td]Kerbin, Mun, Minmus, Ike, Bop, & Pol[/td]

[td]50[/td]

[td]2,617,894 / ??[/td]

[td]High[/td]

[/tr]

[tr][td]MOHO[/td][/tr]

[tr]

[td]

Jasonden

[/td]

[td]DoMoho[/td]

[td]Moho[/td]

[td]12[/td]

[td]348,120 / 72,970[/td]

[td]Mid[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]

Voculus

[/td]

[td]Moho Mojo[/td]

[td]Moho[/td]

[td]6[/td]

[td]817,280 / ??[/td]

[td]High (SLS)[/td]

[/tr]

[tr][td]EVE[/td][/tr]

[tr]

[td]

Voculus

[/td]

[td]Eve Biome Surveyor (Large Diameter Spaceplane mod, B9 Aerospace, and Karbonite)[/td]

[td]Eve[/td]

[td]6 (Self Refuel)[/td]

[td]248,000[/td]

[td]High[/td]

[/tr]

[tr][td]KERBIN[/td][/tr]

[tr]

[td]

kookoo_gr

[/td]

[td]Ion Lander (Various flight control)[/td]

[td]Mun and Minmus (+1 Kerbin)[/td]

[td]25 (Capable of all Mun and Minmus)[/td]

[td]473,730[/td]

[td]Full Tree[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]

5thHorseman

[/td]

[td]Shotgun (Various flight control)[/td]

[td]Mun and Kerbin[/td]

[td]19[/td]

[td]338,052[/td]

[td]High (SLS parts)[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]

Laie

[/td]

[td]Asymmetric LabLander (MechJeb) - Mun Edition | Minmus Edition[/td]

[td]Mun or Minmus[/td]

[td]13 (capable of all Mun or Minmus[/td]

[td]Mun - 211,000/~57,000 Minmus - 100,000/~43,000[/td]

[td]Mid[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]

Kerbas_ad_astra

[/td]

[td]Original Sky Princess (Hooligan Labs & USI) | Sky Princess & Sky Princess Tier 5 (TAC-LS, Firespitter, Hooligan Labs)[/td]

[td]Kerbin[/td]

[td]9[/td]

[td]56,000 / ~56,000 & 23,000 / ~23,000[/td]

[td]Tier 7 & 5[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]

WhiteKnuckle

[/td]

[td]Nomad E2 (FAR)[/td]

[td]Kerbin[/td]

[td]8[/td]

[td]80,812 / ~800[/td]

[td]Mid[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]

sdj64

[/td]

[td]Surveyor Base (KER, RSS, SDF, DRE, Oblivion)[/td]

[td]Minmus[/td]

[td]7[/td]

[td]421,412 / ??[/td]

[td]High[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]

hoioh

[/td]

[td]Unnamed Plane (B9 & MechJeb)[/td]

[td]Kerbin[/td]

[td]6 (including splashed)[/td]

[td]?? / ??[/td]

[td]??[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]

astrobond

[/td]

[td]Biomes Science Catcher (Mun and Minmus) (MechJeb for flight control)[/td]

[td]Mun or Minmus[/td]

[td]1 (capable of all Mun or Minmus)[/td]

[td]374,274 / ~22,000[/td]

[td]Tier 5?[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]

Wanderfound

[/td]

[td]Kopernicus (FAR, DRE, & various flight control)[/td]

[td]Kerbin, Mun, or Minmus[/td]

[td]2 (capable of more)[/td]

[td]149,323 / 4,708[/td]

[td]Full Tree[/td]

[/tr]

[tr][td]DUNA[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]DRES[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]JOOL[/td][/tr]

[tr]

[td]

Voculus

[/td]

[td]Laythe Surveyor Spaceplane (B9, SABRE, KAS, others)[/td]

[td]Laythe[/td]

[td]4[/td]

[td]508,854 / ~200,000[/td]

[td]High[/td]

[/tr]

[tr][td]EELOO[/td][/tr]

[/table]

Alternate Entries

Either incomplete, in progress, or didn't meet the rules.

[tr]

[td=width: 200]User[/td]

[td=width: 400]Notes[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]

GoSlash27

[/td]

[td]Flying Lab (Stock)[/td]

[td]Kerbin[/td]

[td]Incomplete[/td]

[td]Forgot about crew reports.[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]

SRV Ron

[/td]

[td]Sky Sailor (Modded)[/td]

[td]Kerbin[/td]

[td]Not-Attempted[/td]

[td]Nice floating ship design.[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]

dippercandy

[/td]

[td]Ion MIRV thingy (Stock)[/td]

[td]Kerbin[/td]

[td]Not-Attempted[/td]

[td]Lawn chair drop pods from space.[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]

Signo

[/td]

[td]Flying Rover (Stock)[/td]

[td]Mun[/td]

[td]Incomplete[/td]

[td]Great flying/docking rover. Missing some science.[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]

drewscriver

[/td]

[td]Hypatia II (Stock)[/td]

[td]Mun (4 biomes)[/td]

[td]Incomplete[/td]

[td]Millennium Falcon looking, missing crew reports.[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]

numerobis

[/td]

[td]Large Rover Lab (Stock)[/td]

[td]TBD (Airless)[/td]

[td]In Progress[/td]

[td]In Progress[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]

Laie

[/td]

[td]Lab Rover (Stock) Test Flight![/td]

[td]All except Eve-Laythe-Tylo [/td]

[td]Incomplete[/td]

[td]Great looking and capable (largeish) rover lab.[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]

Himynameisjake

[/td]

[td]Almost Finished Rover (Stock)[/td]

[td]Various[/td]

[td]Under Construction[/td]

[td]VTOL Rover Lab.[/td]

[/tr]

[/table]

Edited by Claw

Here is my first entry attempt:

Craft Name (if you’re feeling clever): Spider

Stock / Non-Stock Entry: Stock (MechJeb for engineering data.)

Celestial Body: Kerbin

Number of Biomes: 4

Total Mission Cost (Optional): 19,776 for the craft, but fully recoverable. Roughly 100 for fuel.

Highest Science Tier (Optional): Stand by

Craft File (Optional): I'll upload later, after more tweaking.

I learned quite a bit on this one. It's based on a previous VTOL design, but pared down and with a lander can. I added chutes to make it easier (and more fuel efficient) to land. Turns out it's a bit unstable and was sometimes challenging to fly. Although I used less than half the fuel so I think there's room for more science components. I think I will tweak this some more and see if I can add some biomes to the count.

Cheers,

~Claw

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by Claw

I excluded those under rule 7d.

"- 7d. All biomes must be outside the lighter colored area surrounding KSC, or roughly more than 5km from KSC. In other words, none of the biomes on KSC (runway, launch pad, VAB, etc) count toward the total biomes collected."

I thought that if these were available, the "hopper" part of the biome hopper would get sort of ignored. There are just so many biomes right there, and all you'd need is a rover. My goal was to get away from the KSC and build something that can hop from biome to biome (which are typically much further apart everywhere else).

Unless someone has a suggestion on how to include them without making the challenge a lopsided "KSC" event. I'm open to suggestions there. :D

Edited by Claw

I once built a Mun science rover with the plan of collecting the surface science for each experiment from every biome - it had one of each science experiment on a trailer that it towed with a docking clamp, and a lab built in like an RV body. The cab was a cupola pod. The idea was to drive from biome to biome, run the experiments, transfer the data to the cab and use the lab to reset all the experiments. Eventually I'd have a cab full of data that I could carry to a return launcher and take home.

The landing site wasn't very well chosen - I landed on the lower inner slopes of the East Crater rim, and not having any RCS thrusters on board it took nearly an hour to find purchase to climb out of the crater. Eventually RL responsibilities overtook me and I didn't finish the mission, but over 3 or 4 decent sessions I'd driven route that covered 3/4 of a circumnavigation, had taken all available surface science from 12 of the munar biomes. I would have reached all of them except the Polar Lowlands (which was a long way off course southwards, or else a very risky drive to the north).

Would surface crawler missions like this qualify for your hopper challenge, or are they not hoppy enough? :D

If they want to use KSC, it can only count as 1 IF they collect from all the sub-biomes? That way its not a literal hop, skip, and jump to lots of biomes. This would still mean that there are 4 biomes close by (KSC, Shores, Water, Grasslands), though.

Perhaps. It would be nice to find a way to include KSC biomes, since there are so many and it needs a different set of biome hopping skills. However, I also don't want it to be grindy to have to get every single one just to qualify as "1 biome."

What if KSC biomes were considered their own "celestial body" in terms of being considered separate from the rest of Kerbin? In other words, have a class of biome hoppers that are specifically for KSC? (I think this is my favorite idea so far.)

Would surface crawler missions like this qualify for your hopper challenge, or are they not hoppy enough? :D

This is exactly the kind of thing I had in mind. I really like rovers, even if they are a bit slow. You're still getting from biome to biome. My intent wasn't to exclude any particular type of craft or way of doing things, other than for it to be a singular (non-physics-abusing) mission.

Cheers,

~Claw

Presenting the Sky Princess! The name is an homage to the Sky Queen from "Tom Swift and his Flying Lab" (a nuclear-powered jet).

This is a non-stock vessel, using parts from Hooligan Labs' airship mod (the envelope), the USI Exploration pack (the thrusters), USI Kolonization Systems (the reactor -- though I could have used oodles of RTGs, or limited myself to using the thrusters in RCS mode only, which still gives plenty of thrust), and TAC-LS (enough food for a couple hundred days of operations). I would recommend adding a BTDT sensor from SCANsat, to make this vehicle suitable for anomaly-hunting as well (if it's going to float over the whole planet, it might as well look for weird things along the way). Total cost: 56K\F, but with very few expendables and no staging. It's Tier 7 with those ducted fans, though it could (with a bunch of effort) be reduced to Tier 5 (constrained by the mobile lab and Firespitter's electric propellers).

I only actually visited two biomes with this vehicle (Shores and Grasslands), and that was before I realized that Kerbals actually can't record crew reports in the lab and replaced the Rockomax adapter with the Mk1-2 command pod (and removed some of the unnecessary high-tier stuff), but the all-electric design and life support stocks give it enough range to cover all of them. The main limiting factor with this vehicle is the operator's patience. At about 1/3 throttle, the Sky Princess pulls 80 m/s, which is not bad, especially at 4x acceleration, but it can't go any faster because the pitch-up moment becomes really bad.

Actually, that's true of all of the airships I've built. I put my CL over the CM in the SPH (per this advice) and it starts off lifting properly, but I imagine that FAR implements some CL dependency on velocity, so the airship ends up out of balance. Anyone had any luck with high-speed airships? When I was exploring anomalies on Kerbin, I flew to the two near KSC with an airship like this, but to get to the rest, I made an airship that could be stacked on a rocket and launched on a sub-orbital trajectory to the vicinity, because I didn't want to take the time to fly all the way there in the atmosphere.

Here's the craft file: http://kerbalx.com/crafts/380

...I am opening it up to Mun and Minmus as well...

Can you clarify how you'll handle other bodies such as these. My approach would be to put a lab + fuel in orbit around Mun/Minmus and drop-(hop-)re-orbit-refuel-repeat with a science lander. Not quite sure how that fits.

Edit: Yes, the explanation below is the clarification I was hoping for :-)

Edited by Pecan

Can you clarify how you'll handle other bodies such as these. My approach would be to put a lab + fuel in orbit around Mun/Minmus and drop-(hop-)re-orbit-refuel-repeat with a science lander. Not quite sure how that fits.

Your proposal is completely acceptable. So long as the entire mission ship is launched in one go (that's really the limiting factor). The orbital lab/lander should be launched using one craft. You are allowed to decouple and leave the lab in orbit, land, sample, launch, rendezvous with a science lab (refuel if required), and repeat as necessary. If you need to send a refueler, I've deemed that acceptable so long as the refueler isn't providing any other mission support (just fuel). If you're tracking costs, the cost of the refueler should be included in the total mission costs.

Hopefully that makes sense,

~Claw

Another clarification, I am also making a Mun/Minmus lander that consists of a science lab with refuel tanks and a lander that will go down the planet collect the science, return to the lab, transfer science, clean experiment, refuel if required then repeat. Is this acceptable?

Another clarification, I am also making a Mun/Minmus lander that consists of a science lab with refuel tanks and a lander that will go down the planet collect the science, return to the lab, transfer science, clean experiment, refuel if required then repeat. Is this acceptable?

Most definitely! So long as you can recover the science, and with the notes above.

Good luck,

~Claw

Edited by Claw

Oh hey, I've been working on just such a spacecraft...

Good luck with work! Looking forward to seeing your design (they are always pretty neat looking).

Is KER allowed?

As of now, the only mods excluded are those that provide god-like powers. So yes, KER is absolutely allowed. :D

Although you're in that middle ground that I left a bit gray between Stock and Non-Stock categories. Add-ons for engineering/design purposes are still considered stock entries, though I didn't really specify if they could be used in flight and count as "stock" or "non-stock". I'm not really worried either way, since I'm much less concerned about how you like to play and more concerned that you enjoy building/flying your ships. (I don't feel compelled to make you F9/F5 your way across the landscape.)

I suppose I would say if you're using KER to help you manage your flight, then I would initially put that in the non-stock category. Although I could be persuaded either way if you really want it to count as a stock entry.

By the way, I was having the same problem as you are hinting at. It took me a few extra landing attempts to hit the right biome before I remembered I could just do a crew report while airborne to help me know which biome my craft was over. Although that doesn't help much when you're trying to see where you will land. :P

Edited by Claw

I think we've got enough bugs worked out to give this a go.

KerbiLab1_zps7ad6d5e7.jpg

Our flight crew is (l-r) Science Technician 1st class Obbert Kerman, Chief Science Officer Frodos Kerman, Mission Pilot Burfrid Kerman, and Mission Commander Hadoly Kerman.

They will hopefully be able to acquire science from six unique biomes on a single mission using the KerbiLab and it's dedicated rover "Beagle 1".

Wish me luck!

-Slashy

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g13/GoSlash27/KSP/KerbiLab/KerbiLab2_zpsa90a556b.jpg

And we're on our way.

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g13/GoSlash27/KSP/KerbiLab/KerbiLab3_zpsad7ae1b7.jpg

Collecting science in the Kimilaya highlands. All science collected for each biome includes EVA report, goo observation, temperature, pressure, seismology, and gravioli detection.

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g13/GoSlash27/KSP/KerbiLab/KerbiLab4_zps5cd4b242.jpg

Frodos and Obbert collecting science in the Kimilaya mountains. And fervently hoping they don't get devoured by a Bambatta fuzzbeest in the process. Daylight's running low, so they'll camp out here tonight.

Day one, 2/6 biomes monitored.

Hmm. I have two possible entrants; the one is showcased here, the other was also used during my Jool-5 mission (first three pics show the lander design). Both were specifically designed to harvest all science from Mun & Minmus with as little hassle as possible. I've recently updated both designs and wanted to make new galleries anyway.

Problem is that one was taken to the Mun, the other to Minmus -- either design would be capable of both, but that's not what I have done. Also, there's little picture proof from the biomes -- this was about showcasing the craft, after all. Short of starting from scratch, what can I do?

Edited by Laie

Day one, 2/6 biomes monitored.

Hey Slashy, looking good. :D Your rover looks like it can climb quite the hill.

I don't mean to be a stickler, but please don't forget about this:

7. Required Science per Biome (and the rational for collecting it)

• Crew Report – So that you have to bring a kerbal and capsule of some kind.

Cheers,

~Claw

Edited by Claw

Problem is that one was taken to the Mun, the other to Minmus -- either design would be capable of both, but that's not what I have done. Also, there's little picture proof from the biomes -- this was about showcasing the craft, after all. Short of starting from scratch, what can I do?

Your second link (Jool) is broken, so I wasn't able to see it.

I suppose you've found an opening in my rules. Assuming your split craft (Mun & Minmus landers) was launched all at the same time, then it's still legit. I didn't say the whole thing had to go to each place together, just that it launches together. heh. :D

If you have some sort of proof from the biomes (doesn't have to be a picture landed at each) then I'll probably take it. We can also do like the Hooligan Lab Airship and label it with the proof you provided and a note that it's capable of much more. You're right, I'm more interested in showcasing the craft, but I'm also hesitant to say "all biomes" when there isn't proof.

Hopefully that seems fair.

Cheers,

~Claw

Craft Name: Biome MIRV

Stock / Non-Stock Entry: Stock

Celestial Body: Kerbin

Number of Biomes: 8

Total Mission Cost: 375.000 (-8 recovered "Warheads)

Highest Science Tier: Full Unlocked Tech Tree

This is my first attempt. I used 8 reentry vehicels with a thermometer and a goo each. Those vehicels were launched by rocket and 4 were mounted on each orbiter,

the orbiter is capable of changing from an aquatorial orbit to a polar orbit.

This is by no means an efficient way to visit all biomes on Kerbin but it was fun.

http://imgur.com/a/SfNjd

Edited by Claw
embedded album

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.