[1.10.x] Mark IV Spaceplane System (August 3)

Nertea

And I just made a mental note after my last flight in the Thunderbird that I really needed to add that to the design!
Same here with my big heavy SSTO, landing it is scary because of heavy it is even empty, I need airbrakes to slow it down!

Thanks for this great mod. It's filling a big gap.

Can you make something like this for your Mk4?

http://i.imgur.com/hmJVDqj.png

I like that concept for the Mk 2 (is anyone working on that seriously?)

But I don't see it happening for the Mk 4. There's already an aft-loading cargo ramp. And then there's the side bulges along the fueslage parts to contend with.

These are great parts. Thanks for making them. If it's not too much trouble could you consider adding a small automated ramp at the front of the pod - I can get the rear loading ramp to work by turning it around and placing it inside the pod body and it looks reasonable - but a dedicated front ramp for boarding would look great. Also, might it be possible to tell me how to move the default door for eva from the rear hatch to the front as it seems strange to be eva-ing into the fuel carrying fuselage although it is cool if the cargo bay is attached.

Nertea, I would like to request a part for this mod. Air brakes. AFAIK they are currently only available in B9 Aerospace, it would be nice to have them here in a smaller parts pack. I think it makes sense here because this pack is used to make massive planes that will be rather hard to slow down due to the amount of weight and energy flying around. Pretty please with sugar on top?

I think I've also seen some airbrakes in SXT and RetroFuture - SXT at least is a very lightweight parts pack (and you can delete all but the airbrakes if you want). Just in case that's an option for you.

OK. I found the log file. What am I looking for? It is about 500 pages long...

No idea. Your problem seems pretty obscure so I'm not sure how easy it's going to be to solve. Post the log to pastebin or something and other people can take a look.

Very cool, I love it! I like to see a short fuel tank like "Mk4 Service Compartment" in length.

I have made a ModularFuelTanks config for it. Safe it in a .cfg file and put in GameData directory:

@PART[mk4fuselage-lfo-1]:NEEDS[modularFuelTanks]
{
MODULE
{
name = ModuleFuelTanks
volume = 1600
type = Default
}
}
@PART[mk4fuselage-lfo-2]:NEEDS[modularFuelTanks]
{
MODULE
{
name = ModuleFuelTanks
volume = 4800
type = Default
}
}
@PART[mk4fuselage-1]:NEEDS[modularFuelTanks]
{
MODULE
{
name = ModuleFuelTanks
volume = 1600
type = Default
}
}
@PART[mk4fuselage-2]:NEEDS[modularFuelTanks]
{
MODULE
{
name = ModuleFuelTanks
volume = 4800
type = Default
}
}
@PART[mk4mono-1]:NEEDS[modularFuelTanks]
{
MODULE
{
name = ModuleFuelTanks
volume = 600
type = Default
}
}
@PART[mk4cargo-1]:NEEDS[modularFuelTanks]
{
MODULE
{
name = ModuleFuelTanks
volume = 200
type = Default
}
}
@PART[mk4cargo-2]:NEEDS[modularFuelTanks]
{
MODULE
{
name = ModuleFuelTanks
volume = 600
type = Default
}
}
@PART[mk4cargo-tail-1]:NEEDS[modularFuelTanks]
{
MODULE
{
name = ModuleFuelTanks
volume = 100
type = Default
}
}
@PART[mk4tail-1]:NEEDS[modularFuelTanks]
{
MODULE
{
name = ModuleFuelTanks
volume = 800
type = Default
}
}
@PART[mk4tail-2]:NEEDS[modularFuelTanks]
{
MODULE
{
name = ModuleFuelTanks
volume = 1600
type = Default
}
}
@PART[mk4adapter-1]:NEEDS[modularFuelTanks]
{
MODULE
{
name = ModuleFuelTanks
volume = 800
type = Default
}
}
@PART[mk4adapter-2]:NEEDS[modularFuelTanks]
{
MODULE
{
name = ModuleFuelTanks
volume = 800
type = Default
}
}

Tried again. Re-installed and I can select any item and connect them until I try the Mark VI cockpit. It clicks onto other item and then goes freefloating. I then have to hit ESC to shut down the game cause I can't click any other button... The same thing happens with IXS cockpit.

I tried loading it into pastebin.com; but was too big and I'm not paying $25 to post it... Oh well.

Tried again. Re-installed and I can select any item and connect them until I try the Mark VI cockpit. It clicks onto other item and then goes freefloating. I then have to hit ESC to shut down the game cause I can't click any other button... The same thing happens with IXS cockpit.

I tried loading it into pastebin.com; but was too big and I'm not paying $25 to post it... Oh well.

Dropbox it. Free.

Google drive?

If you want an answer to your problem, you're going to have to post it somewhere. What you could do to limit the size of the log is to enter the editor, go to windowed mode, alt tab to the existing output log, delete everything, alt tab back to the game and then cause the problem. The log should start writing from that moment on without 50 (?!) pages of loading and everything.

Or you could try on a stock install with just MkIV and it's dependecies to try and replicate the bug. If you can, post the log (it will be short enough). If you can't, start adding in mods until you cause the bug (use the binary method: add in half of your current mods. If problem occurs, the cause is one of those mods. If bug doesn't occur, the problem is in the other half. Once you have the half that causes the bug, remove half of those and try to replicate. If problem occurs, the cause is one of those mods etc etc. You shouldn't need to restart KSP more than about 5 or 6 times, depending on the amount of mods you have now)

I like that concept for the Mk 2 (is anyone working on that seriously?)

But I don't see it happening for the Mk 4. There's already an aft-loading cargo ramp. And then there's the side bulges along the fueslage parts to contend with.

As far as i know nobody is working on it. But it would be great...

But i think it would be suitable part for the MK4 aswell, because in some designs it is not possible to have a ramp on the backside (because of rocketparts, fueltanks being attached there... etc)

making a side-ramp-version would offer a new possibilty to design Vessels/Spaceplanes.

For anyone who is interested in using it, I've made some revisions to my Thunderbird design.

Here's the Mediafire Link

Thunderbird Craft Files

The changes include:

- More control authority in the form of larger (B9) canards at the front of the ship. Should help get the nose up faster and keep it there, particularly with heavy loads.

- Angled the rear "Roll-bar" tail elements instead of being straight vertical. This both evokes more of the classic TB-2 feel, and on a practical level, allowed me to fit an extra intake scoop up there (for a total of 5).

- Landing gear was made more robust in the form of an extra pair of gear that fold out from and support the engine pods. Also the landing gear as a whole was raised up slightly for better clearance. Overall there should be much less chance of damaging or ripping away parts of the plane on even a relatively heavy landing in wilderness conditions away from a runway. The gear uses the "Procedural Landing Gear" mod.

- B9 Heavy Airbrakes have been added for more control and stopping quickly on landing.

I've included 3 different versions of the Thunderbird. Externally they are all the same, and use mainly Mk 4 and stock parts, with some B9 parts added and also using the Procedural adjustable landing gear. All three versions also use Mechjeb. Though it's more than possible to fly the craft manually.

Where they differ is mainly in the cargo bay area.

The "Stock" Thunderbird has no KAS parts and no LLL parts. That minimizes the number of mods necessary to use the plane. This is for people who don't want to use KAS or LLL. I only used 2 LLL parts in any case, hardly cause for you to download the entire mod set and then try and figure out which parts I used to delete them etc. - Also - maybe you do have KAS for example, but you just want to set it up your own way.

The next variant is the "Stock KAS" version. It still uses no LLL parts, but has the KAS winch system and storage boxes set up.

The last version is the Thunderbird set up the way I use it. All the custom bits added.

One thing I do recommend - and it's the reason I have the LLL Hatch door on my custom version - is some way to move Kerbals straight from the cockpit back to the cargo bay without having to get out and walk (or EVA) to do so. This is particularly useful when you have very large loads to set up in the bay with the KAS system - it's also one reason why I have 2 KAS storage boxes - one at the forward end of the bay and the other near the back. That's so if a Kerbal can't walk around the sides of a big cargo, then 2 of them can work together and secure the cargo from the front and rear ends with the KAS struts etc.

I have a B9 "Info Drive" installed that will list the action groups on loading. But here they are if you're interested:

1 - Toggles the 8 Scimitar Engines

2 - Toggles the Scimitars between jet and rocket modes

3 - Open/Close on the top cargo bay doors and turns the bay lights on/off

4 - Open/Close Rear Ramp door and cargo bay lights on/off.

5 - Toggles the nose docking port as well as a set of forward facing lights for docking on the night side of orbit.

6 - On/off on a small light next to the main cockpit hatch

7 - Toggles the 4 Nuclear Engines

8 - Extends all KAS Winch Cables

9 - Retracts all KAS Winch Cables

0 - Disables KAS key control.

Disabling Key control is very useful. You don't want to release or extend the cables in-flight!

Here's some relevant screens:

MGRyjTr.png

9ntIrOF.png

Here's the no-frills stock cargo bay:

B8Rsa8W.png

And here's the version with the KAS Winches and storage boxes already installed.

FeBHWMa.png

Is the scimitar supposed to overheat so quickly (as in less than 10 seconds) at full throttle or am I getting a conflict from Deadly Reentry?

It's an error. I meant to try to fix it a few days ago but I haven't had any computer time to do so.

Hey Nertea, I just noticed that everyone's favorite part, the tripe engine pod, doesn't show up in the latest release. Maybe due to the way the texture is referenced in MODEL?

Edit: upon further inspection, it looks like every part that references another part's texture is not loading. Probably a mistake on my end, since it is clearly working for other people. Might the new ATM be to blame?

Well I had a look at your log. There's nothing immediately evident to be wrong at all, all the parts even compile correctly. Does it work if you remove the new ATM? I'm still using the older one and it works fine.

Nertea, I would like to request a part for this mod. Air brakes. AFAIK they are currently only available in B9 Aerospace, it would be nice to have them here in a smaller parts pack. I think it makes sense here because this pack is used to make massive planes that will be rather hard to slow down due to the amount of weight and energy flying around. Pretty please with sugar on top?

Maybe sometime.

As far as i know nobody is working on it. But it would be great...

But i think it would be suitable part for the MK4 aswell, because in some designs it is not possible to have a ramp on the backside (because of rocketparts, fueltanks being attached there... etc)

making a side-ramp-version would offer a new possibilty to design Vessels/Spaceplanes.

Don't plan on doing this, really.

Very cool, I love it! I like to see a short fuel tank like "Mk4 Service Compartment" in length.

I have made a ModularFuelTanks config for it. Safe it in a .cfg file and put in GameData directory:

Thanks!

These are great parts. Thanks for making them. If it's not too much trouble could you consider adding a small automated ramp at the front of the pod - I can get the rear loading ramp to work by turning it around and placing it inside the pod body and it looks reasonable - but a dedicated front ramp for boarding would look great. Also, might it be possible to tell me how to move the default door for eva from the rear hatch to the front as it seems strange to be eva-ing into the fuel carrying fuselage although it is cool if the cargo bay is attached.

It took me forever to figure out what you meant there :P. No plans to do this right now.

hi all...houston, i have a problem... hehehe

i downloaded the last version, but i dont have the tail bay, cargo bay. i use 0.24.5 version still

anybody can help me? thanks

Trying to run the mod on an older KSP version is always not a great idea... a log is the best bet.

IIRC Lack's SXT also has airbrakes now, not sure though.....

Tried the SXT airbrakes and they work brilliantly. Hate having to have a whole separate parts pack just for one part tho. But it'll do until we either have stock ones or Nertea adds some to this excellent pack :)

The SXT air brakes don't require any of the other SXT parts, so you can get rid of the ones you don't want. That's what I did, the only other thing I kept was the little .625 meter inline goo container.