[0.22] ISA MapSat 4.0 Dev Build

Innsewerants

yeah somebody already did all the math and almost all of the best inclinations are between 82 and 88 degree and 150 and 250k. so I just use 88 250 on everything except for moho and eelo I believe it was. I changed the detection rate on the kethane detector so after it finishes mapping I can crank up the warp to finish the kethane maps.

What is the kethane used for? I don't know anything about kethane....

Its a mod that installs deposits of a resource you can mine, and refine into fuel. The mod contains 2 different orbital detectors, 2 different converters, several different tanks designed to hold only the raw kethane as well as a jet engine that can use kethane directly as a fuel source for spaceplanes on Eve or other bodies with atmosphere but no oxygen in the air. I'm using it basically as a way to test how to setup resource gathering and refining production lines for when the Devs finally add them to the game supposedly in 0.20.

you can get the Mod from here http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/23979-Kethane-Pack-0-4-3-Download-link-now-up-to-date-after-forum-catastrophe

In the meantime, would you be willing to upload it yourself? (provided you give credit to Innseweants).

I would if its ok with Innsewerant because this is his mod not mine Im just filling the need of updating it for now

Wow, do I feel silly. It wasn't working for me at all (no buttons, no nothing), then after reading through the posts, I realized there was a new version. Duh. Now I'm slowly but surely mapping. Of course, I can't time warp since I'm below 5km, but meh. I'll deal.

I've just discovered that it was ISA Mapsat which was behind a strange physics framerate drop every second on the tick in every ship -- because I had multiple mapping probes in low polar orbit over multiple bodies waiting until I can get to them. Removing them drastically improved the situation.

This mod really needs an update. :(

I hope that an update leads to more than compatibility fixes (though goodness knows that would be fine enough). I've been thinking about some new features that to my naïve non-programmer mind are related enough the current functionality to be easy to implement.

*Orbital path tracing. Drawing a thin line over the map following the path of the device along its last 1-10 (selectable) orbits.

*Zoom in on a map area

*Visual and spectrum-shifted (IR, UV, Radio, or magnetic to false-color) scanning

Something I'd like to be able to do one day is hang an ISA module from a weather balloon and track Kerbin's and other planets' wind patterns as it drifts through the atmosphere. With these few tweaks I might be able to collect that data.

I've just discovered that it was ISA Mapsat which was behind a strange physics framerate drop every second on the tick in every ship -- because I had multiple mapping probes in low polar orbit over multiple bodies waiting until I can get to them. Removing them drastically improved the situation.

This mod really needs an update. :(

Did you try disabling the mapping temporarily. Performance issues usually disappear if you do that :)

Wouldnt it appear if i search in the correct height? Maybe as a white dot on the map in the height oft 15km when its right below me?

The Monolith on the magic boulder doesn't react like the others in the game. It won't appear on ISA nor will the Magic boulder itself as it's a orbiting body and not a stationary landed object.

Ok, forgive me if this has been asked, but what is the shape of the beam? As in, is it conical, hemispherical, omni-directional? Basically, do I need to constantly correct my direction for hours on end?

If you mean the orientation of the probe, no. It can be facing totally away from a body, but as long as its in a stable orbit of the appropriate altitude it will generate a map. The Game won't allow you to lock a orientation of a ship or probe unless you're piloting it and in real time. Once you start warping it puts the simulation on rails and the ship or probe will hold it previous orientation and as you go around your orbit your pointing direction will change. Its not really a issue you need to worry about. Since when warping you can't do anything anyway, can't fire engines or RCS or do EVA's so just let it run and don't worry about the pointing direction it will generate the maps for you :D.

the dish's aim is not important. only its distance from the surface of the planet, and the Time warp speed (don't go over 10x, or was it 50x- watch the mapping and you will see it 'stop' if you go too fast).

60km? Seriously? Huh. I remember reading that it works best at lower altitudes. I'll keep that in mind for future mapping projects, as right now, I don't think I've got the fuel or the thrust to climb out of my current orbit.