[0.22] ISA MapSat 4.0 Dev Build

Innsewerants

Like greyscale? or natural terrain?

For greyscale use "ISA_MapGen.exe grey" for the natural terrain use "ISA_MapGen.exe natural" I believe

"ISA_Mapgen.exe grey" makes this: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/18919542/KSP/Mun_greyscale_ISA_3200x1600_0-3337.6m_scale.png

"ISA_MapGen.exe natural" makes this: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/18919542/KSP/Mun_natural_ISA_3200x1600_0-3337.6m.png

"ISA_MapGen.exe" with no arguments makes this: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/18919542/KSP/Mun_Topo_ISA_3200x1600_0-3337.6m_scale.png

note all of these images I made with the "3200" flag to increase their resolution. I am currently attempting to make the highest resolution maps possible. I have had the MapSat running around the mun at 5x speed and 20km orbit for over 16 hours now to produce those images.

Those are some pretty glaring holes yet in your maps, but I'll forgive that; that's a lot of data you're trying to collect. :P How big is the csv (actually semi-colon separated, derp)? And have you tried using that data in QuickGrid?

Those are some pretty glaring holes yet in your maps, but I'll forgive that; that's a lot of data you're trying to collect. :P How big is the csv (actually semi-colon separated, derp)? And have you tried using that data in QuickGrid?

Well after letting it run overnight again I got it to this: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/18919542/KSP/Mun_Topo_ISA_3200x1600_0-3337.6m_scale.png

and the CSV is about 764 mb

What is quickgrid? I will google it

**edit**

Hmm, I found quickgrid, but it does not want to accept my data.

**EDIT2**

I found a previous post on how to get the data into Quickgrid, will take a bit though with this much data.

Edited by NolanSyKinsley

Is anyone else running into an issue where after you stage in orbit, the satellite stops mapping and will not start again? I have had this happen multiple times now.

Three things to check:

-Are you mapping above x50 speed? It doesn't map at higher speeds.

-Is there a "brain" on board your satellite? Such as a control pod, MechJeb, Remote Tech, etc.

-If you have remote tech, are you in contact with some kind control station?

Three things to check:

-Are you mapping above x50 speed? It doesn't map at higher speeds.

-Is there a "brain" on board your satellite? Such as a control pod, MechJeb, Remote Tech, etc.

-If you have remote tech, are you in contact with some kind control station?

Check on all three. I only map at 50x, and that hasnt been a problem. As for the brain on board, i run mechjeb and remotetech, and both are taken care of, remotetech for the base capsule with the 5000 km antenna, and a mechjeb addon brain for the nav computer. I have two satellites taking care of the connection with remotetech, and I am able to control the actual satellite the entire time.

It just seems like when I get into "orbit" (ie, over about 80-100 km) and I stage, I seem to lose the ability to map, and it doesnt come back, regardless of what I do (restart flight, restart kerbal, restart computer). If i build a rocket that can actually lift itself into orbit without a stage, i can map, but I have a gigantic satellite, and would like to use the satellite i built instead.

Thanks, by the way, for the reply.

Check on all three. I only map at 50x, and that hasnt been a problem. As for the brain on board, i run mechjeb and remotetech, and both are taken care of, remotetech for the base capsule with the 5000 km antenna, and a mechjeb addon brain for the nav computer. I have two satellites taking care of the connection with remotetech, and I am able to control the actual satellite the entire time.

It just seems like when I get into "orbit" (ie, over about 80-100 km) and I stage, I seem to lose the ability to map, and it doesnt come back, regardless of what I do (restart flight, restart kerbal, restart computer). If i build a rocket that can actually lift itself into orbit without a stage, i can map, but I have a gigantic satellite, and would like to use the satellite i built instead.

Thanks, by the way, for the reply.

Have you tried placing the radar dish in the first(as in last to deploy) stage? (Just a shot in the dark)

Edited by NolanSyKinsley

Have you tried placing the radar dish in the first(as in last to deploy) stage? (Just a shot in the dark)

The dish is currently at the top of an adapter that is sitting on top of the main command pod (an unmanned RemoteTech pod). it is the last part of the craft left after all the stages are done (in the icon stack, it is listed under stage "1")

Hello everyone, I just finished completely scanning Duna and sent a probe down to investigate an anomaly. However after quitting and reloading the game (I went to change a song running in youtube) I opened my GUI only to discover this mess:

v11UV.png

I am using a Macbook Pro running OSX 10.8.2

Any help would be appreciated, though it seems I will have to recreate my map :(.

Hello! I have a question. Let's say I want to make another part to work as ISA MapSat dish (I don't really like how the default one rotates and that I can't turn it on/off). What do I do? Would that even work with, for example, some static sat dish model? I mean, from what I see, it doesn't really matter where the default one is looking, it does it's job anyway, right? So, theoretically, it should be simple to make another model (part) to work the same way?

Just bumping my post here. Also, a request for the authors of this lovely mod - can you make a static dish for this mod, for those, who doesn't like the way how default one is moving? Or, at least, to make a enable/disable switch or hotkey? Please?

Added:

Oh, and one other thing. A little box (like AR202 case) that gives you the ability to access the map interface and has the same functionality except mapping itself would be SO great! Please, think about it.

Edited by macegee

Just bumping my post here. Also, a request for the authors of this lovely mod - can you make a static dish for this mod, for those, who doesn't like the way how default one is moving? Or, at least, to make a enable/disable switch or hotkey? Please?

Added:

Oh, and one other thing. A little box (like AR202 case) that gives you the ability to access the map interface and has the same functionality except mapping itself would be SO great! Please, think about it.

I believe you can swap out the models contained in the ISA_MapSat folder for one you like and change the lines under "// --- asset parameters ---" in the part.cfg to point to the new mesh.

Or you may be able to copy a part folder, rename the folder and the part name in the part.cfg to a new name and in the part.cfg change the "module =" line to "module = ISA_MapSat" Prefferably use a decorative part, I.E. one that served no purpose before.

Both of these are just slightly educated guesses, but one or the other should work, I would start with the latter.

Yes, I've also read this from the guide yesterday, and it works! Still would love to know how one can disable mapping feature, so yo can make passive (non-mapping, but still able to see it's possition on the map) part based on ISA MapSat.

ADDED:

Uhm.. Scratch that. It was only my imagination + some weird bugs.

Edited by macegee

To all Mac users with non-functional maps:

this is my first c# learning project, when I started my first line of code thursday I didn't know a word of c#.

If I figure out how to build it for mac be sure I will release a mac version of the tool. I will add it to the request list. Just give me time to figure it out and test it when I do, I would need to visit some people with macs to even try my own test builds.

The developer of this plugin is just one person. There is no team. Go easy on 'im :cool:

I was kind of skeptical of this mod when I first saw it but I tried it out yesterday and realized it's fantastic. It eliminates the old problem of not being able to tell if your landing site is flat or not without spending all the fuel to come in close, plus makes it a lot more fun to track down artifacts and anomalies.

One thing I would like to see added to this would be an "uplink" that doesn't write new map data but allows access to previously gathered data while focused on a vehicle fitted with the uplink. Preferably it would be smaller than the current satellite dish. The use I had in mind was for small anomaly-scouting rovers to be able to locate their targets more easily.

EDIT: An uplink should also be more impact-resistant than the dish, so it would be better suited to landers.

Edited by Lead_poisoning

Hello, everyone be around for a while, but wanted to provided some help to my fellow Mac users.

First let me say what a great plug-in, getting it to work this will with Windows and Mac is a great feet it self. So thanks for all the hard work.

1.) If you are having trouble viewing lat/long and cool little compass symbol then you need to look about post number #638 about linking the files from a terminal (command prompt).

ln -s '/Users//Library/Application Support/KSP_osx/Parts' '/Users//Library/Application Support/KSP_osx/KSP.app'

Now for the long part over the past month or so I have been working on using GNUplot to plot the cvs data from ISAMapper and here are some of the results:

Full mapping of IKE:

[attach]34208[/attach]

Moho in progress:

[attach]34209[/attach]

Full mapping of Duna:

[attach]34210[/attach]

Hope you like not sure why the images are small.

This map projections where done with using bash scripting and GNUPlot:

Attached is the bash script I wrote to make it all work, I am not an expert so don't get picky it's a work in progress. Here is the help section from script, it should help with your questions:

Kerbol Celestial Body Projection Plotter

Version: 1.2.4
File Name: KCBPP.sh
Last updated: 29 September 2012
Author: Todd Gibson [email protected]

This script will plot elevation data received from the ISA MAPSAT plugin
from Kerbal Space Program (See: kerbalspaceprogram.com). You must have
GNUPLOT installed for it to work. (Tested with KSP 0.17 MAC and ISA MAPSAT
3.3.0)

This script has been tested on OS X Mountain Lion (See: www.apple.com)
with GNUPLOT 4.6 (See: http://www.gnuplot.info) installed with
Mac Port (See: http://www.macports.org).

USAGE:
KCBPP.sh -F [Input File] - L [Label File] -P [Palette] -h -c -s -p -a

OPTIONS:

Required Flages:

-F ISA MAPSAT Common Value Separated (.cvs) file to be plotted
required or no plot.
-P Set the color palette to use, options are:

BW - Black and white (Default).
RB - Rainbow Blue-Green-Red.
VM - Vomit (Very Ugly).
LS - Land/Sea for plantes with liquid on the surface.
NG - Negative looks like a black and white negative.
BG - Blue/Green good for seeing the bottom of craters.
PY - Purple/Red/Yellow gnuplot default color palette.

Use one or all Projections:

-c Plot a simply Cylindrical Map Projection.
-s Plot a Spherical Map Projection (Currently in work).
-p Plot a Polar Map Projection (not currently working).

Not Required:

-L A file contating a list of decimal latuide and longitude labels
of location to be plotted on projection. The file needs to have
one entry for each line and be in the format Latuide, Longitude,
and Label with a semicolon';' seprating each item.
-a Plot artefacts based on ISA MAPSAT data.

EXAMPLE:
CBPP.sh -c -F ~/KSP/pluginData/isa_mapsat/Duna_elevation.csv -P BW

NOTES:
1) Options do not need to be in an particular order.
2) Could really use some help understanding GNUPLOT palettes.

KNOW ISSUES:
1.) When artefacts are plotted if they are close together then labels may
overlay. KCBPP adds 10 degrees to the latitude and longitude for the labels
position. No plan to fix at this time.
2.) Space in the Label will don't work yet.

Ok now that you have read it here is how to get it working.

1.) Visit the MacPort web site and install MacPort. ( The MacPorts Project is an open-source community initiative to design an easy-to-use system for compiling, installing, and upgrading either command-line, X11 or Aqua based open-source software on the Mac OS X operating system.)

2.) Install GNUPlot using MacPort.

3.) Save the attached script to your Mac ( I put it in my home directory /Users/username/)

4.) Run KSP and collect data from ISAMap Sat, remember to turn on store raw data.

5.) Now open and terminal window and run my script either change the file name to KCBPP and set the bit or just type bash KCBPP_1.2.4.sh.txt (command line options).

Example command line:

bash KCBPP_1.2.4.sh.txt -a -c -P RB -F ~/map_sat_data/Duna_elevation.csv
I see we are going to plot Duna...
I see we are working with Duna and you what to include artefacts, lets begin...
The Rainbow palette will be used for the projections...
Converting and Sorting Duna data...
Plotting Duna as a Cylindrical Map Projection...
Cleaning up temp files...
+--------------Opening Map Projections------------+
|Files are located in: |
/Users/userdirectory
+-------------------------------------------------+
|Duna Projects: |
Duna_Cylindrical.png

Enjoy - I am still working on the spherical and polar plot options, I hope to move this to Python, but that might take a bit with learning curve.

Is there any way to get this to produce more data on each part update? I've calculated that the time to produce a maximum-resolution map is around 986 hours (max-res file size is about 15GB, at ~767KB/s). That's over a month of always-on data collection. O.o

What is your definition of max res? I run at 5x and get a GB+ in about 36 hours. I have seen trade off for every warp speed. To me 5x seems to get the best coverage, 50x seems faster but it leaves a ton of gaps so it takes more passes to complete the data set for the given resolution and for some odd reason 1x and 10x gets horrid resolution/coverage.

I think maybe the best way to get the most data would be to crowd source, I.E. get data sets from many people and combining them. Although I have found once the files get much larger than 1.75 GB the become rather unmanageable. Even opening them with a text editor is a pain, but using command line programs work fine, but lack progress indicators. Appending one data set to another then removing duplicate lines may give decent results, but will require transferring large files.

Hello, everyone be around for a while, but wanted to provided some help to my fellow Mac users.

First let me say what a great plug-in, getting it to work this will with Windows and Mac is a great feet it self. So thanks for all the hard work.

1.) If you are having trouble viewing lat/long and cool little compass symbol then you need to look about post number #638 about linking the files from a terminal (command prompt).

ln -s '/Users//Library/Application Support/KSP_osx/Parts' '/Users//Library/Application Support/KSP_osx/KSP.app'

Now for the long part over the past month or so I have been working on using GNUplot to plot the cvs data from ISAMapper and here are some of the results:

Full mapping of IKE:

[attach]34208[/attach]

Moho in progress:

[attach]34209[/attach]

Full mapping of Duna:

[attach]34210[/attach]

Hope you like not sure why the images are small.

This map projections where done with using bash scripting and GNUPlot:

Attached is the bash script I wrote to make it all work, I am not an expert so don't get picky it's a work in progress. Here is the help section from script, it should help with your questions:

Kerbol Celestial Body Projection Plotter

Version: 1.2.4
File Name: KCBPP.sh
Last updated: 29 September 2012
Author: Todd Gibson [email protected]

This script will plot elevation data received from the ISA MAPSAT plugin
from Kerbal Space Program (See: kerbalspaceprogram.com). You must have
GNUPLOT installed for it to work. (Tested with KSP 0.17 MAC and ISA MAPSAT
3.3.0)

This script has been tested on OS X Mountain Lion (See: www.apple.com)
with GNUPLOT 4.6 (See: http://www.gnuplot.info) installed with
Mac Port (See: http://www.macports.org).

USAGE:
KCBPP.sh -F [Input File] - L [Label File] -P [Palette] -h -c -s -p -a

OPTIONS:

Required Flages:

-F ISA MAPSAT Common Value Separated (.cvs) file to be plotted
required or no plot.
-P Set the color palette to use, options are:

BW - Black and white (Default).
RB - Rainbow Blue-Green-Red.
VM - Vomit (Very Ugly).
LS - Land/Sea for plantes with liquid on the surface.
NG - Negative looks like a black and white negative.
BG - Blue/Green good for seeing the bottom of craters.
PY - Purple/Red/Yellow gnuplot default color palette.

Use one or all Projections:

-c Plot a simply Cylindrical Map Projection.
-s Plot a Spherical Map Projection (Currently in work).
-p Plot a Polar Map Projection (not currently working).

Not Required:

-L A file contating a list of decimal latuide and longitude labels
of location to be plotted on projection. The file needs to have
one entry for each line and be in the format Latuide, Longitude,
and Label with a semicolon';' seprating each item.
-a Plot artefacts based on ISA MAPSAT data.

EXAMPLE:
CBPP.sh -c -F ~/KSP/pluginData/isa_mapsat/Duna_elevation.csv -P BW

NOTES:
1) Options do not need to be in an particular order.
2) Could really use some help understanding GNUPLOT palettes.

KNOW ISSUES:
1.) When artefacts are plotted if they are close together then labels may
overlay. KCBPP adds 10 degrees to the latitude and longitude for the labels
position. No plan to fix at this time.
2.) Space in the Label will don't work yet.

Ok now that you have read it here is how to get it working.

1.) Visit the MacPort web site and install MacPort. ( The MacPorts Project is an open-source community initiative to design an easy-to-use system for compiling, installing, and upgrading either command-line, X11 or Aqua based open-source software on the Mac OS X operating system.)

2.) Install GNUPlot using MacPort.

3.) Save the attached script to your Mac ( I put it in my home directory /Users/username/)

4.) Run KSP and collect data from ISAMap Sat, remember to turn on store raw data.

5.) Now open and terminal window and run my script either change the file name to KCBPP and set the bit or just type bash KCBPP_1.2.4.sh.txt (command line options).

Example command line:

bash KCBPP_1.2.4.sh.txt -a -c -P RB -F ~/map_sat_data/Duna_elevation.csv
I see we are going to plot Duna...
I see we are working with Duna and you what to include artefacts, lets begin...
The Rainbow palette will be used for the projections...
Converting and Sorting Duna data...
Plotting Duna as a Cylindrical Map Projection...
Cleaning up temp files...
+--------------Opening Map Projections------------+
|Files are located in: |
/Users/userdirectory
+-------------------------------------------------+
|Duna Projects: |
Duna_Cylindrical.png

Enjoy - I am still working on the spherical and polar plot options, I hope to move this to Python, but that might take a bit with learning curve.

First of all:

You're awesome. <3

Secondly.

The ISA_MapGen.exe that comes with the distribution works great with wine in producing images.