[0.22] ISA MapSat 4.0 Dev Build

Innsewerants

I had the same problem, because I renamed the mapsat part folder (ISA_MapSat) in the parts folder for sorting purposes (running windows).

The images/icons could not be loaded then and it looked exactly like your screenshot.

If you run a mac there was a fix regarding the same issue a few pages back.

Yep, OSX. That seemed to fix it. The blank window still looks like it has artifacts but when you start scanning, the data fills in over it. Thanks!

Ahh, I see, I didn't have the very latest 3.3.0 installed. I'll have to do that when I get home tonight. Also the boost to 50x speed for mapping should help a HUGE amount. I think it took me around 2 1/2hrs to map Kerbin, about 2hrs for Mun and about 3hrs for Minimus (maybe it was more). x50 should drop that to well under an hour (I'd hope).

I guess it is time for a reinstall and another mission out to Duna. Oh well. I need to rescue my stranded Kerbals anyway. And by rescue I mean probably just land another ship near them. And by land another ship near them, I mean probably crash it. And by probably crash it, I mean BOOM is fun!

I kid. I also need to load up the rover mod and the remote mod. ISA map sat and a couple of parts mods are all that I am running right now. I wants me some real rovers and remote probes.

It does now.

evetopoisa2000x10005644.png

There's an explanation of the command-line arguments for ISA_Map_Gen.exe in the first post.

You don't understand- there is no guide as to how to get the command window to produce results.

I can open the window, but when I type in ISA_MapGen.exe, nothing runs.

Assuming this is working like an old DOS line, that should have started things up.

So, line-by-line, what should it look like to get the program to run?

Please?

make a shortcut to ISA_MapGen.exe, then right click it and where it shows the path (like c:\KSP\PluginData\isa_mapsat\ISA_MapGen.exe) just add 1920 to the end (assuming that is the width you want) and save the shortcut that way. So it would read c:\KSP\PluginData\isa_mapsat\ISA_MapGen.exe 1920) here are a bunch of commands listed on the first page of this thread that can be used like this.

Look, I quoted myself!

I find this the easiet way to run MapGen, as you can save multiple shortcuts that do different things.

Someone on Facepunch made a GUI for mapgen. I tried to look up the source, but couldn't find it anymore, only the download link. So credit goes to the person who created this.

https://dl.dropbox.com/sh/xpuu7bd8cgj58zq/s6HJYfupU-/ISA_MapGenGui.exe?dl=1

As one should always be careful, when downloading executables from unknown sources, feel free to do any kind of virus check that you deem necessary.

I should have provided more information I guess ;-)

Put the file in KSP_win\PluginData\isa_mapsat and run it from there. What it does is provide you with an Interface for all the command line arguments.

Here's a screenshot: (please note that on my computer everything is slightly misplaced because of some weird windows setting)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]33731[/ATTACH]

You don't understand- there is no guide as to how to get the command window to produce results.

I can open the window, but when I type in ISA_MapGen.exe, nothing runs.

Assuming this is working like an old DOS line, that should have started things up.

So, line-by-line, what should it look like to get the program to run?

Please?

If you've got the command line open you're there.

Type "isa_mapgen" followed by any argument(s) you want.

Here's the list, copied from the OP:

[table]

[tr][td]No arguments[/td][td][/td][td]Renders 400px wide colour topography map using the NASA/moon colour band[/td][/tr]

[tr][td][number][/td][td][/td][td]Render colour topography map of given width in pixels[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]grey[/td][td][/td][td]Render grey-scale elevation map[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]natural[/td][td][/td][td]Uses more natural terrain colours, resulting in a texture-like map[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]scale[/td][td][/td][td]Render the scale at the bottom.[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]gridw## or gridb##[/td][td][/td][td]Overlay a white or black meridians grid, ## is the separation between lines in degrees.[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]top####[/td][td][/td][td]The elevation with # in meters that is taken as the top of the colour scale[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]bot####[/td][td][/td][td]The elevation with # in meters that is taken as the bottom of the colour scale[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]mercator[/td][td][/td][td]Use Mercator projection instead of default[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]azimuthalNP[/td][td][/td][td]Create an azimuthal projection of the northern hemisphere[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]azimuthalSP[/td][td][/td][td]Create an azimuthal projection of the southern hemisphere[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]texture[/td][td][/td][td]Renders normal textures for use in MapSat[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]texture polar[/td][td][/td][td]Renders polar textures for use in MapSat[/td][/tr]

[/table]

You can mix up the different arguments, order should not matter, if you run into any combination that breaks please let me know.

Do not use 'texture' and 'texture polar' with other arguments, these are tweaked to fit with the drawing in MapSat\'s gui.

e.g.

isa_RAM_MapGen.exe 1600 natural azimuthalNP scale grid10 would generate a 1600 pixel wide, natural coloured, azimuthal polar view of the northern hemisphere with a grid overlay that\'s spaced 10 degrees apart and the scale added to the bottom.

The "texture" or "texture polar" arguments will produce the map image seen ingame on the mapsat ui.

Using any of the others will create a new image in the mapsat folder.

I Just now noticed the example in the OP is from an old version. isa_RAM_MapGen.exe no longer exists. Typing that will of course do nothing, although it should give an erorr.

Stengahpolis,

I tried it, but got this:

C:\Games\KSP_win\MODS\ISA_MapSat_3.3.0\PluginData\isa_mapsat>ISA_RAM_MapGen.exe

1600 texture natural

'ISA_RAM_MapGen.exe' is not recognized as an internal or external command,

operable program or batch file.

Bimbo0099,

Where are the rendered mapfiles put? The GUI will not actually produce anything nor register any maps when I refresh the list?

Does KSP have to be running in the background or something?

C:\Games\KSP_win\MODS\ISA_MapSat_3.3.0\PluginData\isa_mapsat>

Stengahpolis,

C:\Games\KSP_win\MODS\ISA_MapSat_3.3.0\PluginData\ isa_mapsat>ISA_RAM_MapGen.exe

1600 texture natural

Do you use some sort of mod manager? I ask this because your folder-structure differs from mine.

The correct folder for me is "KSP_win\PluginData\isa_mapsat\". This is where the data gathered ingame is stored (.csv raw data and both maps). Also put the gui exe in there.

Regarding your batch file, assuming the folder you used is correct, change the line to:

"C:\Games\KSP_win\MODS\ISA_MapSat_3.3.0\PluginData\isa_mapsat\ISA_MapGen.exe 1600 texture natural"

Please clear up the confusion regarding folders, so I can further help you

Quick Question: Will this work without a command pod? Like what I mean is say I build a rocket where the first stage gets it to orbit, the 2nd stage is the orbit adjustment stage, and the 3rd stage is the capsule with an engine to de-orbit and return to kerbin. If I attach the map sat to the 2nd stage and discard it from the capsule and leave it in an orbit as "debris" will it continue to map? Or do I need to leave some Kerbals orbiting with it?

Stengahpolis,

C:\Games\KSP_win\MODS\ISA_MapSat_3.3.0\PluginData\ isa_mapsat>ISA_RAM_MapGen.exe

1600 texture natural

As I said:

the example in the OP is from an old version. isa_RAM_MapGen.exe no longer exists. Typing that will of course do nothing, although it should give an erorr.

You need to type the name of the program that's actually there. i.e. isa_mapgen

Bimbo0099,

Where are the rendered mapfiles put? The GUI will not actually produce anything nor register any maps when I refresh the list?

Does KSP have to be running in the background or something?

C:\Games\KSP_win\MODS\ISA_MapSat_3.3.0\PluginData\isa_mapsat>

The path should be [KSP path]\PluginData\isa_mapsat\

If you don't have a [planet]_elevation.csv file in there, it won't work since the program uses that file to generate the images.

The elevation.csv files are created by mapping a planet ingame with the mapsat part.

As long as the .csv is in the same folder as the .exe it'll generate the images, but you'l need to make sure the path to the plugin data is correct in order to get it to work with the part.

If you do that does it continue to build the map while you are on another flight? if so that would be awesome!

*edit*

I tested it and nope, you have to be on that flight. I wonder if deploying multiple arrays will speed up mapping a planet....

I have a few questions though. If I collect raw data do I have to do it all in one go? Or can I come back later to collect more? Also can I run the mapgen while the game is currently making the map file? or do I have to wait for it to end to prevent file corruption? If I make the raw map file is there a way I can import that back into the game so I don't have to re-map the planetoid again?

Oh, and good news for Linux/Mac users, I do not know if this has been stated before, but you can run the mapgen just fine with mono.

Edited by NolanSyKinsley

Like greyscale? or natural terrain?

For greyscale use "ISA_MapGen.exe grey" for the natural terrain use "ISA_MapGen.exe natural" I believe

"ISA_Mapgen.exe grey" makes this: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/18919542/KSP/Mun_greyscale_ISA_3200x1600_0-3337.6m_scale.png

"ISA_MapGen.exe natural" makes this: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/18919542/KSP/Mun_natural_ISA_3200x1600_0-3337.6m.png

"ISA_MapGen.exe" with no arguments makes this: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/18919542/KSP/Mun_Topo_ISA_3200x1600_0-3337.6m_scale.png

note all of these images I made with the "3200" flag to increase their resolution. I am currently attempting to make the highest resolution maps possible. I have had the MapSat running around the mun at 5x speed and 20km orbit for over 16 hours now to produce those images.

Edited by NolanSyKinsley

The elevation.csv files are created by mapping a planet ingame with the mapsat part.

As long as the .csv is in the same folder as the .exe it'll generate the images, but you'l need to make sure the path to the plugin data is correct in order to get it to work with the part.

OK, that was the problem.

I had mapped Kerbin, Mun and Minmus... but didn't have the right switch thrown to save the map data for use.

Thanks for helping me figure that out; sorry if I came off as a bit dense.