[0.22] ISA MapSat 4.0 Dev Build

Innsewerants

Is there any new progress on this mod? I have had to stop using it because it has been such a memory hog (yes, I run the batch script clean-up regularly). I cannot find http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/...nd-blog-update where the xR41 version resides since the forum restart. It's a truly great mod, I would love to see it sorted.
I can't find a link for Isa Mapsat 4.0 dev build. Where can I find you?

The X4R1 build is in Innsewerants' dev blog.

Are there any gurus that can help me with a weird clashing problem this mod is having with Protractor? Whenever I install X4R1 I can only see it's little icon down the bottom and my Protractor calculator disappears.

There is more info on the thread I started here: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/...d=1#post659552

Ignore this. I am officially a bad bad pilot and am handing in my wings. Somehow in starting a new game and changing the mods around I had left off the mapsat part. All going well now. Currently mapping Duna.

I have been using the 3.3.4 version and I'd like to switch to the 4.0 version, but I have a TON of ships with the GPS part attached. Does the 4.0 version use the same parts (ISA_GPS) as the 3.3.4 version, or will it kill all my ships that have the GPS part attached?

I guess I could go in and do some persistence file editing if I needed to, but I'd rather not. Any thoughts?

There's no difference in the parts, just the plugin. You can switch back and forth between versions without hurting ships in flight.

That's great news, thanks! When the installation instructions talk about removing all previous versions of Mapsat I got nervous! I'll back up my save dir and give it a try!

Yeah, the reason for removing previous versions is, the location of the parts files has changed, so if you don't do that, you end up with two copies of each part. But you can move the location of part files without hurting ships in flight, as long as you don't change the internal name of the part, and those names are indeed unchanged.

I can't seem to run ISA MapSat properly. 4.0 crashes after scanning for a very short time (memory problems?). 3.3.4 resets/corrupts the map data upon exit. Any way I can utilize it?

If you're using 3.3.4 (which is what I would recommend, the 4.0 dev build isn't really ready for prime-time), you probably want to do this:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/9396-0-20-ISA-MapSat-4-0-Dev-Build/page97?p=383709#post383709

That prevents it from losing its maps on exit.

If you're using 3.3.4 (which is what I would recommend, the 4.0 dev build isn't really ready for prime-time), you probably want to do this:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/9396-0-20-ISA-MapSat-4-0-Dev-Build/page97?p=383709#post383709

It says I cannot create a file when that file already exists when I do that.

Ah, you either have two ISA_MapSat directories then, or you installed the one in that location rather than the other. In the latter case, you can either move it, or just make the link in the other place. If you have two directories, you'll have to figure out which one has the "live" data and delete the other. The important thing is that one of the two locations have the directory and its normal contents, and the other be a link back to the first. It doesn't really matter which is which...

Edited by Gaius

I can't seem to run ISA MapSat properly. 4.0 crashes after scanning for a very short time (memory problems?). 3.3.4 resets/corrupts the map data upon exit. Any way I can utilize it?

Make sure you installed X4R1 (there is no 4.0) by dropping the Innsewerants Space Agency folder into gamedata, and that there's no old bits left in <KSPRoot>/Parts or <KSPRoot>/Plugins

The X4R1 version works perfectly fine in the current version of the game if you install and use it correctly. I've yet to see a single instance of an actual 'problem' with it that wasn't caused by user error.

And as the first post states, he's not listed a license, thus making the license by default 'All Rights Reserved'. Anyone but Innsewerants distributing modified versions, derivatives, or even unmodified versions of any part of Mapsat is consequentially a copyright violation. As such any 'fixes' to 3.3.4 would have to be completely separate and include no code from the original, and also not include even unmodified bits of the original.

It would be amazing if someone could write a simple-ish plugin that displays the mapsat .pngs in-flight, including position, anomalies, etc. just like the mapsat GPS, so we could remove the mapsat plugin after the bodies are mapped.

Just using stock parts, KSP can barely handle high-res textures (universe replacer) and mapsat as my only mods. :/ dang.

It would be even more amazing if Squad would hurry along their plans for the 64-bit update.

It would be amazing if someone could write a simple-ish plugin that displays the mapsat .pngs in-flight, including position, anomalies, etc. just like the mapsat GPS, so we could remove the mapsat plugin after the bodies are mapped.

Just using stock parts, KSP can barely handle high-res textures (universe replacer) and mapsat as my only mods. :/ dang.

It would be even more amazing if Squad would hurry along their plans for the 64-bit update.

64 bit would only help so much, if any: reports are that the 64 bit linux version still has the same memory limits for addons as the 32 bit version. Even if it raised it, it's only going to raise it to whatever your actual physical memory memory is, minus whatever else is getting used. In my case, that's all of about 2gb (for a total of 6 the game could use). Anything past your physical memory would have to go into virtual memory, and if you thought loading was slow NOW...

The problem is, as you pointed out, textures. The way the game uses memory for textures is really piss-poor, and stuff I've seen in local testing suggests it's probably not even USING most of it except during scene loads.

This includes Mapsat: My testing has indicated that the number 1 use of memory in Mapsat is, predictably, the map textures themselves, which are using about 600mb total, an amount that doesn't change with the mapped or unmapped status of the various planets. That last bit indicates that the memory usage involves uncompressed textures: if they were compressed it'd vary. It's actually TOO HIGH for the textures to be getting loaded just once uncompressed: In fact it's more than double the size that all 30 map textures would need if decompressed. It is, in fact, consistent with two compressed and two uncompressed copies of the maps being loaded into memory. This suggests that all the intermediate steps in loading the PNG into the vidram are being cached in main system memory. On my setup I've seen indications that the actual in-flight memory usage can be as low as 400-500mb, even with mapsat and multiple other mods running.

This suggests it's a problem with the way the game is using memory for textures (which it shouldn't need main memory for once they've been loaded into VRAM), which is consistent with the high memory usage of every other mod with lots of textures(or very high quality ones). The fact that people get out of memory errors from it implies that possibly the these cached items are being flagged as actually being in active use instead of being marked as cache that can be overwritten.

In short: It might be a problem with the game itself, not Mapsat. I don't know how to use the debug tools to find out, and so far everyone else seems more interested in blasting Mapsat for being a piece of crap and demanding something else that would most assuredly be better. Based on the evidence that I've got, there's no indication that anything else would be any better because there's every indication it's a generic problem related to the fact that Mapsat has very large textures. But nobody but me is bothering to gather and consider evidence of what's actually going on, it seems like, which is a shame because I literally don't know how to go in and examine it in detail, and thus can never be sure.

There is hope though. From the Sept. 10 weekly:

Mike (Mu): Been working on a major optimisation package which sees the scene transition lag greatly reduced and also some optimizations in the core code which help with larger number of ships and parts.
(Emphasis Mine.)

I saw a very detailed bit of research on the forums that indicated the biggest thing holding up the scene transitions is texture processing. Textures are most DEFINITELY the single largest memory hog, and generally the texture memory usage is what limits how many mods people can install. He says he's working on scene transitions (the only place the memory usage is actually high according to my testing), and optimizations for large numbers of parts. I'm hopeful that in the process, the general memory usage problem will get addressed to some degree or another.

Does anyone have a working link to the 4.0 build? I've been trying to get it to work with problems until I realized I'm trying to install the 3.3.4 version. The links to the blog are broken and I can't find another link.

This Plugin gets only interesting to me, when someone make it not need nearly as mutch Memory than all Mods I have installed.

Before this it is sorry total useless. I will not delete my necearry Partmods only that one plugin works.

I'm having an issue with the dev build. When I try to launch any craft with the MapSat part attached, the game hangs on the loading screen. This started happening after I installed B9 and KW Rocketry, so it could be memory related. I have a couple satellites already in orbit with MapSat parts, and I can switch to those just fine. I tried the batch file for clearing duplicates from artifacts.dat, but that didn't fix it.

Does anyone have a working link to the 4.0 build? I've been trying to get it to work with problems until I realized I'm trying to install the 3.3.4 version. The links to the blog are broken and I can't find another link.

Left click on Innsewerant's name, hit 'view blog posts', boom. http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/blogs/16471-Innsewerants

Then go to "[0.20]Dev build of Mapsat 4 available and blog update. Bang, http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/entries/414-0-20-Dev-build-of-Mapsat-4-available-and-blog-update

Then hit the link that's under 'download the dev build here.'

Install that into gamedata. delete the hilo.dat from plugindata before you use it. It'll take it some time to rebuild the hilo.dat database, during which it will appear to have hung. (It actually checks each planet's maximum and minimum heights above ground to do it, and also checks for new planets.) According to IS, it can take several minutes depending on your CPU speed (mine didn't take anywhere near that long.)

I've got it from him directly that you do NOT need to have update checked before deleting it, that just has it check for new planets and rebuild if there are any (so it'll work if new planets are added later without an update.)

Sawzall: If you've deleted your hilo.dat to fix the issues with that, it being rebuilt might be the cause of your 'hang', in which case it'll be a one time thing if you just wait it out.

I'm having an issue with the dev build. When I try to launch any craft with the MapSat part attached, the game hangs on the loading screen. This started happening after I installed B9 and KW Rocketry, so it could be memory related. I have a couple satellites already in orbit with MapSat parts, and I can switch to those just fine. I tried the batch file for clearing duplicates from artifacts.dat, but that didn't fix it.

where can i find this batch file? when i clic on artifacts button the game freeze and crash, and after opening it i have at least 100 copies of each...

where can i find this batch file? when i clic on artifacts button the game freeze and crash, and after opening it i have at least 100 copies of each...

It's back quite a ways, I linked to it in one of my earlier posts, I'll see if I can find it...sec... and yeah, it cleans up artifacts.dat so that there's only one copy of each anomaly. I only got multiples on Kerbin on my last scanning run though *shrug*

Edit: Found one of my posts that linked to it:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/9396-0-20-ISA-MapSat-4-0-Dev-Build?p=420617&viewfull=1#post420617

Edited by Tiron

It's back quite a ways, I linked to it in one of my earlier posts, I'll see if I can find it...sec... and yeah, it cleans up artifacts.dat so that there's only one copy of each anomaly. I only got multiples on Kerbin on my last scanning run though *shrug*

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/9396-0-20-ISA-MapSat-4-0-Dev-Build?p=420617&viewfull=1#post420617

wow thanks a lot from a 2 mb file to a 700 byte one!!! and the game has stopped crashing!! now i only need a way to have multiple ships loaded at the same time... scanning takes a lot of time

Okay, I'll freely admit, I'm stupid. I took a look at the page linked above... What do I do with it? I guess I'm not tech savvy enough or something because I have no idea how to implement the code that's posted.

Any chance of anyone somehow turning this information into an executable or whatever it's called that I could download and put in the correct place in my KSP directory and run every so often to clean out the useless data? I'm pretty sure that's what you guys are talking about, anyway...

:(