Get flung away every time I try to enter command module (EVA rescue)

I accepted a contract to rescue an orbiting Kerbal. Every time I press F to grab the command module ladder rungs, the RCS jetpack is turned off and I'm flung away from the craft. What's going on? I tried pressing F repeatedly in the hope I'd board but I just keep getting flung away and eventually I'm going to run out of RCS.

I wonder whether it's related to the bug where I'm sometimes ejected violently from the command module when I initiate EVA.

PMHpDIq.jpg

Edited by THX1138

Go back to the ship and have the pilot aim the ship directly north. That way, in Orbit mode, the doors are sideways.

Go back to your Kerbal and hit V until he's in Orbit mode. When you move him, he'll orient himself so the ship is rightside up.

You should be able to get in no problem.

Try not actually holding on to the ladder but rather moving in close enough to the capsule with your jetpack.

The ladder is on the capsule. It is part of the capsule. It cannot be removed and it was put there by the SQUAD team.

Go back to the ship and have the pilot aim the ship directly north. That way, in Orbit mode, the doors are sideways.

Go back to your Kerbal and hit V until he's in Orbit mode. When you move him, he'll orient himself so the ship is rightside up.

You should be able to get in no problem.

This worked but I don't understand why. I think this is a bug. It really shouldn't matter what orientation things are in?

Edited by THX1138

It's because sometimes when the kerbal isn't aligned, they use so much force to grab onto the ladder that it causes them to lose their grip. Since they also put their RCS pack away at the same time, it results in being flung away.

The ladder is on the capsule. It is part of the capsule. It cannot be removed and it was put there by the SQUAD team.

I believe the suggestion was to get close enough so that the "[F] Grab Ladder" prompt turned into an "[F] Board" prompt. That way you skip the whole "grab the ladder" part and go right from floating to boarded. It's tricky but possible.

And I agree. It's a bug. Hitting F should reliably grab the ladder in all normal circumstances. I mean, if you're re-entering the atmosphere or something sure, but floating in space? Should work every time.

I believe the suggestion was to get close enough so that the "[F] Grab Ladder" prompt turned into an "[F] Board" prompt. That way you skip the whole "grab the ladder" part and go right from floating to boarded. It's tricky but possible.

And I agree. It's a bug. Hitting F should reliably grab the ladder in all normal circumstances. I mean, if you're re-entering the atmosphere or something sure, but floating in space? Should work every time.

That's precisely what I meant, and in hindsight I think I should have been more clear.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.