[0.90][Depricated] KSP Interstellar Near Future Integration 0.3 (update 1-2-2015)

FreeThinker

Mmm, the only thing I can think of now is that you use another mod with conflicting resource definition. For the moment, just remove the realfuels folder, it should not be a problem. Realfuels is not a requirement. The only thing you lose is the ability to use Nitrogen. You could also fix it yourself I you copy the Nitrogen definition to a separate file before you remove it.

Well, those screenshots are from a test with only Kerbal Engineer, the Near Future mods and your mod. I'll delete all the other resources except Nitrogen, then. Thanks.

I have uploaded KSP Interstellar Near Future Integration to 0.3. you can again download from KerbalStuff.

Extract the zip into your GameData folder and allow it to overwrite everything

In the new version, I adres several of the problems and imbalances of Electric engines. They should be much better balanced

Changelog:

• Electric engine maximum trust is reduced by low ISP multiplier (-40%)
  • Electric engine trust is negatively affected by atmospheric pressure (-40% @ Kerbin surface)
  • Electric engines power usage is limited by available (generated) power
  • Distribution of power over multiple electric engines with different sizes is fixed
  • Added Carbon Dioxide as a Thermal/Electrical Engine propellant
  • rebalanced Efficiency Nitrogen/Liquid Nitrogen
  • rebalanced build cost for Liquid Nitrogen Cryostat tanks to realistic values
  • rebalanced power requirements Liquid Nitrogen Cryostat tanks to realistic values
  • updated Regolith to 0.1.5
  • updated Techmanager to 1.5

I tried it in my campaign and plasma engines seem much better now. They are no longer above and beyond most other engines in lifting efficiency. They still seem like very viable space propulsion.

I only played around with it for a short while so far so the final verdict might still change. I suspect they are still slightly too good but I have to compare them to the other engines with various power generation setups first. They no longer completely break the game however and "slightly too good" is much better than totally OP or totally useless. Especially with NearFuture's huge over-abundance of efficient but extremely low thrust engines.

The tooltipfor plasma engines in the VAB has an error, showing that they provide infinity thrust per KW which seems slightly overstated :P.

In both 0.2 and 0.3 the antimatter-initiated fusion reactor also shows a tooltip on vanilla interstellar levels of energy (before the integration rescaling). I haven't tried it out yet so I don't know if that is just the tooltip or if it wasn't scaled like the other reactors.

I also had a mod conflict with a outdated version of the modular kolonization system mod. Updating to integration 0.3 made KSP freeze on the loading screen. The log showed some regolith related error and updating MKS solved it.

Just for people experiencing a similar freezing issue. It might be related to Regolith or a mod that uses it.

Edited by Therlun

Mmm, the only thing I can think of now is that you use another mod with conflicting resource definition. For the moment, just remove the realfuels folder, it should not be a problem. Realfuels is not a requirement. The only thing you lose is the ability to use Nitrogen. You could also fix it yourself I you copy the Nitrogen definition to a separate file before you remove it.

Should you not distribute just the Nitrogen definition on its own, rather than the whole RealFuels config? That way anyone can use this mod out of the box regardless of if they want RealFuels or not. I know I came across the same confusing issue as UnanimousCoward, in that I wasn't expecting this mod to change the default behaviour of the stock fuels.

I tried it in my campaign and plasma engines seem much better now. They are no longer above and beyond most other engines in lifting efficiency. They still seem like very viable space propulsion.

Good to hear. The biggest change is that the available power is limited by the amount of megawhat produced power generaters, before it could use thousants of MegaWatts stored in a ultra efficient buffer (1000x more power than regualr batteries) which combined with the reduced Power/Trust ration, result in excesive amounts of power for a short time.

- - - Updated - - -

I suspect they are still slightly too good but I have to compare them to the other engines with various power generation setups first. They no longer completely break the game however and "slightly too good" is much better than totally OP or totally useless.

The question now is how should I balance them and still keep them compitative with Near Future Trusters? For example could make them require more power, reduce maximum trust, reduce trust for low ISP propellant further, lower them atmospheric performance further, change engine weight, reduce maximum ISP, Make them overheat ...

- - - Updated - - -

I also had a mod conflict with a outdated version of the modular kolonization system mod. Updating to integration 0.3 made KSP freeze on the loading screen. The log showed some regolith related error and updating MKS solved it.

Just for people experiencing a similar freezing issue. It might be related to Regolith or a mod that uses it.

mmm, this might be related to the version of Regolith I include in the Mod. I include the latest version of Rigolith but this might be incompatible with older versions of MKS.

- - - Updated - - -

In both 0.2 and 0.3 the antimatter-initiated fusion reactor also shows a tooltip on vanilla interstellar levels of energy (before the integration rescaling). I haven't tried it out yet so I don't know if that is just the tooltip or if it wasn't scaled like the other reactors.

I will check it out, I might overlooked something

Edited by FreeThinker

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there, could someone be kind enough to give me a list of recommended mods that will work with this. You know like "My Favourite Mods That I Know Work With KSPNF"

in particular I'm worried about resource mining and processing for Exp Launchpads. Kethane or Karbonite? Regolith?

Thanks!

I wonder why even in sandbox mode all the upgrades for Sethlans series of reactors seem broken.. Thermal helper shows for example 24mw for the smallest one, yet when in flying mode it is 20mw as if it is non-retrofited.

I wonder why even in sandbox mode all the upgrades for Sethlans series of reactors seem broken.. Thermal helper shows for example 24mw for the smallest one, yet when in flying mode it is 20mw as if it is non-retrofited.

THey are not broken, their power is balanced towards Near Future power levels. Note power levels can go down due to overheating, this is a KSPI stock feature

I guess you misunderstood me. Thermal helper info differs with actual numbers on the reactor itself. This happens only with sethlans' reactors. It looks like there are no upgrades available for them at all... All others work fine.

BTW. I'm talking about your KSP Interstellar Extended config.

Edited by qwertyza

I had this working on my last install but it blew up and I am reninstalling all my mods. I can't get this to work for anything. I turn on the game and it gets to warpplugin/parts/engines/aluminiumHybrid/part/aluminiumHybrid1. And it stops their. Anyway I can fix this?

One of your mods must interfering with KSPI NF. I would advice to create a fresh KSP 0.90, add KSPI NF and startup. after that install 1 mod at the time and verify if KSP stil starts up. Stop when KSP no longer starts up. delete latest mod and report which mod caused the problem

Freethinker, do you have any plans to integrate the updates you are making with KSPI Extended into this mod?

Yes, KSPI Extended will become the base, KSPI NF will be a sub configuration of KSPI Extended.

Edit: KSPI NF is basicly a Mode which is activated when either Near Future Electric or SETI is installed or

Edited by FreeThinker

Hello FreeThinker,

Would your NF integration configs work with KSP Interstellar Extended? Since it's meant to be save-game compatible with Boris' fork it should be fine with this set of configs, right?

I've tried it out and everything looks pretty good just from launchpad tests but I figure you could give better insight.

Radiators seem to work very poorly, they show up in the helper as less than 1/4 what they are rated in the tooltip? And the upgrading doesn't seem to work?

By tool tips do you mean the part description in the VAB? because that is still the original KSP-I description, this pack nerfs them to be in line with the reactors which are also nerfed. (should be noted nerfing isn't always a bad thing)

By tool tips do you mean the part description in the VAB? because that is still the original KSP-I description, this pack nerfs them to be in line with the reactors which are also nerfed. (should be noted nerfing isn't always a bad thing)

Neving is exactly the correct word here. It's true I significantly lowered the Thermal output of the Reactors, but I also increased the Power to trust ratio by a very large factor. The result is that you have a significant amount of thrust with relative low power output. This mey be not very realistic, but it does fit with well the Near Future power levels. If Near Future was realistic, it's electric engines would produce only a fracton of the power it would do in the real world (less than 1%). But that wouldn't be fun, now would it?

Hi.

I have some questions.

1) I have unlocked nuclear propulsion and thermal rocket nozzle in the tech tree. They provide huge amounts of power, with great TWR and ISP. However, once I reach space, the power output drops to a fraction of the power output in the atmosphere... Why is that? I have more than enough waste heat removal.

2) Why is it that the nuclear reactor/thermal nozzle combo has much less thrust when using liquid hydrogen as propellant than Liquid Fuel or LFO? I can't see an increase in ISP to compensate.

3) I kinda guessed that there is a pruner program that removes all the thermal nozzle duplicates 0.625-1.25-2.5m...) to leave only one nozzle I have to use tweakscale to resize. However, the 2.5m nozzle has much more thrust and ISP than the 3.75m nozzle, and the 5m nozzle is worse than the smallest nozzles ?!

4) The Near Future nuclear reactors I have unlocked so far (MX-1, MX-4, MX-EXP) are much much worse than the KSPI reactors, and the KSPI reactors themselves are completely unbalanced between themselves. The MX series produces anemic levels of power (MX-1: 26MW thermal) with terrible TWR (11.5 tons) and extreme cost. The Large Molten Salt Reactor from KSPI has 15 tons weight... But costs much less, and produces 742MW thermal.

Even worse, I have no reason at all to use the Molten Salt Reactors. The Akula Particle Bed reactor produces a whopping 4.5GW, outclassing anything.

1) You have insufficient radiators. Radiators in space require much more surface area to get rid of their power

2) because liquidhydrogen molecular weight is very low, it can be accelerated better, resulting in higher ISP, but also lower trust.

3) weird, aren't you mixing KSPI Extended with KSP NF?

4) The near future nuclear reactors main strength is in realiable long lifetime power generation, not high TWR, Particle Reactors are made for this.

1) You have insufficient radiators. Radiators in space require much more surface area to get rid of their power

2) because liquidhydrogen molecular weight is very low, it can be accelerated better, resulting in higher ISP, but also lower trust.

3) weird, aren't you mixing KSPI Extended with KSP NF?

4) The near future nuclear reactors main strength is in realiable long lifetime power generation, not high TWR, Particle Reactors are made for this.

1) I mounted a 2.5m inline radiator with four Huge Heat Radiators and 4 Small Radial Radiators for a 4.5GW Akula. That's not enough? Is there a way to estimate the waste heat I need to be getting rid of from the VAB?

2) I guess that means its useless for launch purposes, but interesting if I use ISRU or something.

3) I installed NF, KSPI, KSPI Extended and KSPI-NF Integration all together.

4) But don't the Particle reactors last for years already? How much more lifetime are we talking about?

Thanks for answering, Freethinker.

• 1 year later...

Well KSP Interstellar Near Future Integration is integrated into KSPI-Extended as a set of Module Manager config files in the Patch folder. If your interested you should take a look and verify if they are all still up to date.

Btw, any Mod reading this, please close this tread

Edited by FreeThinker