[1.3.x] SETI, Unmanned before Manned [Patreon]

Yemo

@Svm420

I'll go ahead and give real fuels a try then, thanks for the info.

Mods are a wonderful thing, I've crashed my game on many occasions with too many mods (this doesn't apply just to KSP either, I'm quite fond of The Elder Scrolls games and the modding community behind those).

Man I used to play games normally you know. Just as the creator intended. Then someone told me about mods. At first I was like no thanks man I'm good I ont need that stuff. Then moe of my friend were using mods. So I had to know what it was all about. I was so young so naive. I went to the nexus for oblivion mods. Man when I saw all the different mods and everyone have so much fun I couldn't hold back any longer. I got hooked. At first it was just new weapons and armor. Then I was modding a whole new world in before I knew it I woke up passed out in a tavern I didn't even remember downloading. I knew then and there I needed help. I got it and was good for so long then 11-11-11... I used to be a gamer like everyone else till I took a mod to the knee lol that was too much fun. Yeah I been modding since oblivion and the elder scrolls are what really got me into pc gaming. So many night just trying to get a stable skyrim. It has been awesome to see 2 very different mod community's and how the intra worksings of it.

Anyways enough off topic. Yemo that new jet looks really nice can't wait for the next update. I need my fix man

Edited by Svm420

One last comment on modding: the next step after using lots of mods is to create your own. Doesn't have to be anything fancy, but just learning how the mods work and being able to write a simple mod to patch specific things you don't like about a particular mod (or stock for that matter) is very nice and makes the game all that much more enjoyable.

Awesome balance mod. I really underestimated the power draw of the manned pods though lol. I've biome hopped all over minmus and the mun with a cheap unmanned probe (and a relay network). But once journeying into manned flight, oh boy. That power is expensive.

Glad you like it!

For your short trip manned power requirements, I suggest an alkaline fuel cell, either the procedural one or the one from UniversalStorage.

Could be partially down to the cross-section ferram uses for modelling (which is optimised for supersonic flight IIRC), or you could just be not introducing enough separation (there needs to be A LOT of vertical separation)

http://cloud-2.steamusercontent.com/ugc/540771566031864507/22C94B73FC94607A7BD6464F2CEB7DF290F336CA/

The stagger on this is a bit exaggerated, but it makes only a slight difference here. This is just duplicating the wing and sticking it on a girder segment.

http://cloud-4.steamusercontent.com/ugc/540771566031864965/D89DF7E3F7E508BD61FFB89448A4688EB964E434/

That is a 22% increase in lifting capability if I understand Cl correctly (~0.8 for single wing, ~0.5x2 for the biplane)

Ah, I see, then I was just not getting the separation right. Seems I scaled it down too much to look in line with real world biplanes.

So I FINALLY managed to stream for a few hours last night, and had a blast. But I'm hoping for a little advice from the smart ones here. With OpenGL and not instlaling MKS/OKS and MCM yet, I can start out with 2.1gb...not horrible. However, I could get in about 20-40 minutes before I hit the ceiling and crashed. I knew that the infamous memory leak kicked in when changing scenes, especially in and out of the VAB, but upon reading more, I saw that it's also exacerbated by flying close to a planetary body. Pretty much my early game bread and butter is doing the atmospheric missions (Temp/Pressure scans, observation, etc.,) which pretty much means flying close to a planetary body. Does anyone have any advice on how to stave this off as much as possible, or techniques they use to mitigate it some? I'd usually try to take a break on stream about once an hour and restart KSP, but seems like I have to take about double that right now. Anyway, any help or advice would be swell!

Also, I love that jet, Yemo, is it going to be in the next update?

And finally, I don't remember mentioning that we use Nav Utilities A LOT, and even more so with SETI, since the HSI is perfect for finding your way home, lining up the runway, and holding the glide slope for a safe landing. Since we do so much with planes, I figure I'd drop that there.

Added the NavUtilities, thank you!

Hm, that 20-40 minute sounds really awful. Even on windows I can play for at least 1-2 hours (depending on installed mods) without problems, using ATM. And I only have an i3 with 8GB RAM.

And with quite some scene changes for testing.

For longer plays I switch to Linux, so I can not help much with the windows optimization. Since KSP has different problems on different PCs, it might just be one mod causing problems for you.

Though I definately recommend ExceptionDetector!

The jet is not as beginner friendly as the 2 which are already included, especially for starting and ladder climbing (wings beneath the cockpit exit). Also I m hesitant to release another jet for the distributed packs, since it adds maintanance effort.

I might release a small "additional craft" pack though, for those interested.

@smegghed

That's the same amount of memory that I have, and it's definitely enough to rule that out. Exception detector is a good place to start, and removing mods one at a time, although tedious, is sometimes the only way to fully isolate a problem. Alt-tab has a tendency to destabilize most fullscreen games in my experience, even games that can run for hours on end without issue can sometimes crash after a few alt-tabs. I'm not sure about the time warp, it very well may speed up the PQS (i.e. terrain) memory leaks by a factor of 4.

Right now I'm testing my Mk4 cargo plane flying to the poles, I've reverted several times to fix things and my mission clock has 45 minutes on it right now (about half in 4x timewarp). Just landed at the north pole and reverted to the hanger, no issues.

Edit: Just noticed that my cargo plane has 12h of fuel and I made it to the ice cap in under an hour while carrying a 70 ton payload... I think that means I could circumnavigate Kerbin 4 or 5 times...

Yep, the engines are very efficient and the fuel density is very high compared to stock.

But the latter one is necessary for at least some balance with regards to other fuel options and I have to keep in mind that some people play 6.4. Stock Kerbin is just very small...

Man I used to play games normally you know. Just as the creator intended. Then someone told me about mods. At first I was like no thanks man I'm good I ont need that stuff. Then moe of my friend were using mods. So I had to know what it was all about. I was so young so naive. I went to the nexus for oblivion mods. Man when I saw all the different mods and everyone have so much fun I couldn't hold back any longer. I got hooked. At first it was just new weapons and armor. Then I was modding a whole new world in before I knew it I woke up passed out in a tavern I didn't even remember downloading. I knew then and there I needed help. I got it and was good for so long then 11-11-11... I used to be a gamer like everyone else till I took a mod to the knee lol that was too much fun. Yeah I been modding since oblivion and the elder scrolls are what really got me into pc gaming. So many night just trying to get a stable skyrim. It has been awesome to see 2 very different mod community's and how the intra worksings of it.

Anyways enough off topic. Yemo that new jet looks really nice can't wait for the next update. I need my fix man

Yep, I know that feeling. For me the active modding started with the awesome editor of NeverwinterNights ;-).

Anyway, this is dev version 2, especially the contracts got under the hood changes to harden the progression against issues.

Also the contracts are now offered by the "Space Exploration & Technology Initiative" agency (still uses stock image), for easier identification.

edit: download fixed version on the next page

DOWNLOAD: SETI-BalanceMod-v0.8.8dev2

to be installed on top of v0.8.8 release

Further changes compared to dev version 1 preliminary changelog:

**Reintroduced Nose Cones, updated Autopruner file**

* FAR likes normal nose cones much better than procedural ones...

* So the normal ones are brought back

* If you use AutoPruner, then unprune with the old autopruner file and reprune with the new one

**Contracts**

* Stock progression contracts (explore body) removed, since they could not be cancelled and blocked the list

* New "Space Exploration & Technology Initiative" agency to identify SETI contracts (though it still uses the stock image)

* SETI contracts hardened against progression issues

* Powered Landing contracts do not allow aero parts on vessel (wings, nose cones, intakes)

**TechTree changes**

* RLA Spinnaker LFO engine (75kN thrust, 0.625m diameter) earlier @generalRocketry

* VenStockRevamp SnubOtron earlier @generalRocketry

* Standard Nose Cone earlier @start

* Protective Nose Cone later @heavyRocketry

**Rebalances & Adjustments**

* Non-procedural nose cones reintroduced, because FAR likes them much better than the procedural ones...

* Non-procedural nose cones rebalanced in terms of mass and costs, also renamed

* Procedural Nose Cones are surface attachable and accept surface attachments

**Minor Changes and Fixes**

Edited by Yemo

I noticed that bank contracts have been added for contract configurator, on the release thread another user pointed out a much more comprehensive banking mod: Kerbanomics. Given Yemo's profile picture, I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned sooner :D.

Will take a look (though it probably needs some time testing in a career save).

Als, I chose my avatar when starting this thread: failing contracts = unlimited funds

Basically I earned money by stuffing my lawn with assets, intentionally going bankrupt, getting contract advances and then repeating the procedure. Until recovering my piled up assets for lots of funds ;-).

I have been using that mod on my career for a while now. It helps a lot if you play a normal or harder to get some advances when you need to upgrade the building. The reason being I have found sometimes with career I can get stuck where I need to upgrade a building to really advance through contracts but need the money from the contracts to upgrade the building. The only downside of the mod currently is the UI is not very intuitive/clear. Also can make the game a little easier on the higher difficulties just because you can get a large amount of funds quickly. Though to me this makes sense for space program to get advances and loans when necessary and being a single player game my judgment on a mods easiness factor is tempered by my desire for fun. I guess the last thing is I have never run into the problem of not being able to pay my loan so I have no idea of the consequences. Other than all of that it's a good mod.

- - - Updated - - -

Damn tablet

Edited by Svm420

Just updated to dev3:

It will break your existing Hybrid Rockets, since they will only have solid fuel now.

You have to switch them to the new tank type option "HybridFuel" which is the new default.

This allows you to store the oxidizer in a separate part (like a procedural liquid nose cone tank). Just make sure the ratios match the "HybridFuel" option.

edit: removed, broken

Edited by Yemo

Mod suggestion

I'm not sure, but I think it was suggested already, though search does not come up with anything.

Might as well add this, it's by the same author and is really cool

Edit: I don't seem to have cones back? Structural and aerodynamics don't have them

And yes, they are unpruned

Update: I likely forgot to unlock them in R&D, so nevermind

Edit2: Hybrid/Solid fuel is close to my concept of modular SRBs: pic

It's basically a cone HRB with solid fuel only, and cylindrical oxidizer tank filled to 5% and matching ratio for HRB

Edit3: Though this particular design can be achieved by simply making a cylinder SRB/HRB and attaching a structural "skirt", but whatever

Edit4: Solid fuel segments could be probably achieved by making a new resource that has name and stats of solid fuel but can be transferred, however it's too much effort for such a minor thing

Edited by SwGustav

Mod suggestion

I'm not sure, but I think it was suggested already, though search does not come up with anything.

Might as well add this, it's by the same author and is really cool

Edit: I don't seem to have cones back? Structural and aerodynamics don't have them

And yes, they are unpruned

Edit2: Hybrid/Solid fuel is close to my concept of modular SRBs: pic

It's a basically a cone HRB with solid fuel only, and cylindrical oxidizer tank filled to 5% and matching ratio for HRB

Edit3: Though this particular design can be achieved by simply making a cylinder SRB/HRB and attaching a structural "skirt", but whatever

QuizTech aero pack is on my list, those rocket engines look great as well!

Ah, the dev download lacked the MM-UnusedParts-ProceduralParts folder with the updated SETI-TechTree-SQUAD-Unused.cfg file.

I just deleted the 3 nose cone entries in that file.

Yep, it now allows different shapes by being able to use 2 parts, also more in line with the original design by LordAurelius.

For example the Me163 Komet concept built by igor_perusco on his twitch stream.

Unfortunately there is the tank type option name mixup, so previous craft have to be corrected for that.

So another navigation suggestion - NavHud

I checked my old stockalike mod list and SETI made a good progress with a big chunk of now supported mods. Could I ask if Taurus HCV is on your list? Big capsules are something I want now..

I second the Taurus HCV, that's a nice capsule.

Nav Hud added to OP, thank you!

The Taurus is on the list, will increase priority.

Quick Question:

Is there a changelog for SETI?

If so, then where?

Well, kerbalstuff has the update to update changelogs. There is no general changelog so far, but some of the most important rebalancing changes are listed in the OP under II.

I m thinking on drastically decreasing the thermometer and barometer science rewards. There are so many supported science experiments now, and those 2 are pretty op compared to their mass (which is 0).

Reducing science reward values seems like a necessary balance step, as soon as you install DMagic Orbital Science you've at least doubled the available science in the game. Unfortunately, if you reduce it too much it can make the early game tedious since the thermometer and barometer are your main methods of gathering science. Maybe increase the science payouts of the early progression contracts to counteract the reduced rewards until the better science experiments are available.

Another thought I've had with the barometer experiment is to enable biome specific reports while flying low, IRL at the lower altitudes the air pressure can vary a fair amount based on the terrain and weather so it seems a little silly that one reading would be sufficient for all of Kerbin. Things are a lot more consistent in the upper atmosphere though in terms of pressure so there's no biome dependence.

Actually, for a lot of these experiments (especially the ones that take readings) it would be a lot more realistic if you started an experiment and had to let it run for a period of time, with it sending science back at regular intervals until you had exhausted that particular situation (which could be a long period of time, months or years for example). This would also encourage long-term missions, right now you can touch down and grab all the science and plant a flag in under a minute and head straight back home with no benefit to staying longer. Unfortunately, I would assume that such an experiment would require a plugin which is beyond my meager modding skills at this point.

While I absolutely see your point YEMo/Aurelius I think if it ain't broke don't fix it. I feel like the progression tight now has a good pace and I wouldn't want it slower I don't think. Though it may be that I don't know what I want till i try it. Just my $0.02. I do like the idea of biome dependent baro readings as well as time dependent science. Though at what point are people just going to time warp through and it basically be the same anyway idk food for thought.

Progression early on in the game is pretty good right now, the issue comes later once you unlock the later science experiments and start sending missions outside Kerbin's SOI and you start absolutely drowning in science (stock has this problem as well, it's just more pronounced in SETI with the additional experiments). Nerfing the science experiments would reduce the science overload later on, but it would need to be balanced with something like one-time science contracts so you can unlock what you need to move on without getting stuck tediously strip-mining all the biomes on Kerbin.

Time warping for time dependent science wouldn't really be a problem, the goal is to build a craft that can survive long enough and to make satellites useful since you can get the space science with just sounding rockets and flybys.

I have just installed this mod and have found that with the science nerf removing science from the testing of parts, you need to work hard at low levels and be carefull about what you unlock..

I have added the full Nehemiah Engineering set of science mods to help provide some extra science points as repeating the same experiments slowly kills them.

I have also just learned about scansat's ability to generate science which will help.. maybe the balance is to increase the cost of later unlocks rather than reduce the science income as such..

Changing the cost of node unlocks is possible (already done for enhanced survivability), but I m hesitant to do that, since 1.0 will change the tech tree anyway and at the moment, the R&D facility upgrade limits are not moddable.

Regarding the science experiment nerf, this is how it is now and what I propose:

[TABLE=width: 800, align: left]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]Rewards now[/TD]

[TD]Proposed Rewards[/TD]

[TD]Tech Unlock now[/TD]

[TD]Proposed Tech Unlock[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Telemetry[/TD]

[TD]1[/TD]

[TD]1[/TD]

[TD]start[/TD]

[TD]start[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Temperature[/TD]

[TD]8[/TD]

[TD]3[/TD]

[TD]start[/TD]

[TD]start[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Barometer[/TD]

[TD]12[/TD]

[TD]3[/TD]

[TD]start[/TD]

[TD]start[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Accelerometer[/TD]

[TD]20/22[/TD]

[TD]6[/TD]

[TD]Electronics

[/TD]

[TD]basicRocketry[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Gravimeter[/TD]

[TD]20/22[/TD]

[TD]7[/TD]

[TD]advScienceTech

[/TD]

[TD]survivability[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Crew Report[/TD]

[TD]5[/TD]

[TD]6[/TD]

[TD]basicRocketry[/TD]

[TD]basicRocketry[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]EVA Report[/TD]

[TD]8[/TD]

[TD]8[/TD]

[TD]building unlock[/TD]

[TD]building unlock[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It keeps the early science gains roughly the same in total (keep in mind that the telemetry is new and the barometer can be used in space), is more in line with historical science progression (accelerometers were used since medieval times) and considerably nerfs the late game op mass-less Acc/Grav.

I m also considering giving the Acc/Grav physics significance back. Then reducing the joint Acc/Grav universal storage mass to 20kg and the joint Temp/Baro wedge to 20kg as well. Since Temp and Baro are still physicsless, I would give the wedge a 4800EC battery to account for the mass.

edit: Also, based on feedback by igor_perusco, MONOprop will probably be rebalanced again... Much higher capacity storage tanks, much lower ISP engines (the dedicated propulsion ones, no changes to the RCS thrusters).

Edited by Yemo

That looks like a good compromise, moving some experiments earlier should offset the reduced science for the early game. The one other thing I might tweak with the barometer is to make it biome dependent when flying low like the thermometer is, more for the realism aspect than anything else. They already have the same science values so I don't see it changing things too much.

I would actually leave the gravimeter farther up in the tech tree (and increase its mass like you were mentioning) since historically compact portable gravimeters are quite a bit more recent than the other instruments and it would give a stock experiment suitable for later probes and satellites (i.e. gravity mapping). In its place, I would move the mystery goo experiment earlier since in my mind it's an analogue for the early experiments of sending animals into space before the first manned missions. It would also provide an early relatively high value recoverable science experiment until the R&D center is upgraded to allow for surface samples (which takes awhile due to the upgrade cost).

I agree on the monoprop rebalance, some of those engines have an ISP of 410, which isn't realistic and makes them a bit OP compared to some of the liquid engines.

Are you also considering adding the surface sample drill I made for the stock science tweaks?

Edited by Lord Aurelius

That looks like a good compromise, moving some experiments earlier should offset the reduced science for the early game. The one other thing I might tweak with the barometer is to make it biome dependent when flying low like the thermometer is, more for the realism aspect than anything else. They already have the same science values so I don't see it changing things too much.

I would actually leave the gravimeter farther up in the tech tree (and increase its mass like you were mentioning) since historically compact portable gravimeters are quite a bit more recent than the other instruments and it would give a stock experiment suitable for later probes and satellites (i.e. gravity mapping). In its place, I would move the mystery goo experiment earlier since in my mind it's an analogue for the early experiments of sending animals into space before the first manned missions. It would also provide an early relatively high value recoverable science experiment until the R&D center is upgraded to allow for surface samples (which takes awhile due to the upgrade cost).

I agree on the monoprop rebalance, some of those engines have an ISP of 410, which isn't realistic and makes them a bit OP compared to some of the liquid engines.

Are you also considering adding the surface sample drill I made for the stock science tweaks?

Biome dependent when flying low seems a good idea. But please not biome dependent when low in space. Otherwise people will abuse it for minmus biome hopping.

I m actually only planning to nerf the monoprops since I m making monoprop storage more efficient with regards to dry tank mass. As far as I can see, they should be less efficient than the LFO ones in terms of craft mass/deltaV.

Yep, surface sample is planned, though I m really unsure where to put it in the tech tree. I m actually considering putting it to unmanned tech. The node could need some part and it is specifically designed for unmanned missions. Also I will have to give it physics significance and make it non-collectible for balance reasons. So that players can not just transfer the science to a science canister on a probe all the time and use it for endless biome hopping.

The question is, do you want me to support your Stock Science Tweaks download or do prefer it to be included in SETI directly?

Hm, new idea on science rebalance, with StockScienceTweaks Surface Drill:

I would also shift around some DMagic experiments, like the Dynamic Albedo of Neutrons (which searches for water) to the recycling node, to give that at least one related part if no life support is installed.

[TABLE=width: 800, align: left]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]Rewards now[/TD]

[TD]Proposed Rewards[/TD]

[TD]Tech Unlock now[/TD]

[TD]Proposed Tech Unlock[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Telemetry[/TD]

[TD]1[/TD]

[TD]1[/TD]

[TD]start[/TD]

[TD]start[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Temperature[/TD]

[TD]8[/TD]

[TD]3[/TD]

[TD]start[/TD]

[TD]start[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Barometer[/TD]

[TD]12[/TD]

[TD]3[/TD]

[TD]start[/TD]

[TD]start[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Accelerometer[/TD]

[TD]20/22[/TD]

[TD]5[/TD]

[TD]electronics[/TD]

[TD]basicRocketry[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Gravimeter[/TD]

[TD]20/22[/TD]

[TD]7[/TD]

[TD]advScienceTech[/TD]

[TD]electronics[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]MysteryGoo[/TD]

[TD]10/13[/TD]

[TD]10/13[/TD]

[TD]spaceExploration[/TD]

[TD]survivability[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]MaterialsScience[/TD]

[TD]25/32[/TD]

[TD]25/32[/TD]

[TD]scienceTech[/TD]

[TD]scienceTech[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Crew Report[/TD]

[TD]5[/TD]

[TD]6[/TD]

[TD]basicRocketry[/TD]

[TD]basicRocketry[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]SurfaceSample[/TD]

[TD]30/40[/TD]

[TD]30/40[/TD]

[TD]building[/TD]

[TD]building/unmannedTech[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]EVA Report[/TD]

[TD]8[/TD]

[TD]8[/TD]

[TD]building unlock[/TD]

[TD]building unlock[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don't worry, I'm not planning on making the barometer biome dependent in space. That doesn't make any sense at all.

The unmanned tech node sounds like an appropriate place for the drill, you have to purchase the R&D upgrade to unlock that node so you'll already have access to surface samples. It probably will need some balancing, although I'm not sure about making it not collectible, the mars rovers only have one drill and storage bays for multiple samples, I would be more inclined to increase the sample size so that you can only realistically fit one surface sample per science container. If that increases the transmission cost, that would actually better balance it since it takes time and energy to process a sample.

As far as integration, that depends on whether you want this to be a core part of SETI. If you want this to be a core mod, I would say to go ahead and integrate it, and I would be happy to help maintain the mod as basically a stand-alone version of the SETI science tweaks, the same way you separated the progression contracts out as a separate mod. This would actually be my preferred option, as those tweaks are really intended primarily for this mod anyways, although I would like to keep a standalone version as an option.

Another possible tweak I noticed that might help reduce the science overload later in the game is to remove biomes from the gravimeter when high in space since at those altitudes it makes more sense that you would be doing a much more general scan and reserve the biome specific stuff for lower orbits.

Edit: New version of the science tweaks is up, I adjusted the barometer mask so biomes should be respected while flying low now. Also added a few new situation reports for the telemetry experiment.

Edited by Lord Aurelius

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.