Superluminal: A2 Art Final Piece

benjee10

FINAL VERSION A

Thought you guys might enjoy my A2 Art Final piece since it's space-based. We chose our own theme and I chose exploration & discovery and it ended up becoming this. Critiques are very welcome since the deadline is fast approaching so any feedback would be brilliant. If you could look at it from an art-film perspective rather than a space-enthusiast perspective that'd be doubly awesome!

WIP edits:

Visual effects in Blender & After Effects, edited in Premiere Pro

Music: No Time for Caution by Hans Zimmer (my teacher isn't sure about the music choice so I'll be making several other versions with different tracks)

Alternative music (which is better?):

More of my art for this topic can be seen here.

Edited by benjee10

As much as I love anything Interstellar, that track included, I agree with your teacher; No Time for Caution doesn't fit this video. I only had to listen to the alternative for a few moments to know that it was better suited. Of course, with you having other music ideas, the question remains as to whether or not the alternative you've got here is actually the best option; it's certainly a good choice as it does work well, but can you get anything more space-evoking (if you haven't already)? That's clearly what you want, otherwise you'd not have used everyone's favourite docking music :P

No doubt you've already thought along these lines, but I thought I'd just chip in like that one irrational thought that won't stop bugging you until you do what it tells you to do :P

Other than that, though, it looks good, so nice work :D

HOLY COW! That is amazing! Rep, rep, rep! :D

I actually prefer the Interstellar song. I think is conveys that "epic" feeling very well, and especially during that last scene it really works!

The animation was outstanding, I really liked the Apollo flashbacks, and is exactly what space films should be!

definitely no time for caution.

i have a interstellar tribute in KSP film script that i am half done writing, and the spacecraft that takes the kerbs to the Jool system is near identical to your spacecraft, other that the fact that the four side CMs are habs, the front CM is a futuristic lifting body lander/spaceplane, and there are two interstellar style landers on the side.

Sorry for the off topic, but that coincidence...

I prefer number two. I have a tough time deciding on which music should go with my tracks too. I generally stick to the idea of using unknown music for what I do. I also like the second one more! More fast paced then the Interstellar track at the beginning.

Alright, here's my rough pass at creating a soundscape for this thing. It doesn't have the Kennedy speech (as it was too ingrained in the original audio) but I would have to say that this guy gives a better "atmosphere" to the art piece...

The original song was my own: the Spheres of Legend KSP cover, backwards and 400% slower. It's Creative Commons...

If you like this modification, I would be happy to further tweak the audio to your specifications.

Looking forwards to opinions -

-Upsilon

Thanks everyone! Originally, my friend composed some soundtrack for it which fitted it pretty well but at that time the edit was over 10 minutes long and had plenty of dialogue. My teacher wanted me to shorten it however, so I turned to the Interstellar soundtrack. He still wants the music faster, so much as UpsilonAerospace's version is really great and atmospheric, I'm not sure he'd appreciate me slowing it down so much. Thanks so much anyway!

Hey! I saw this on Blender Artists. It is really neat, although I am unsure about the gas planet textures, some of the shots looked like it was a bit too fuzzy. Generally where that level of detail could be seen there should be swirls, if anything. I have been having trouble getting my own gas planet textures to look perfect, and I imagine that those shots took quite a while to render out, as there were so many. Therefore, I am not sure about telling you to redo them all, now.

As for the music, I am thinking. Mostly why I did not post on B.A., was because I really have difficulty deciding about music generally (as far as I am concerned, you could have played the theme to Brazil, and it would have worked fine), but if I think of anything to add I will try to do so soon.

Good job, generally.

It was actually based on Gamma Cephei, which is about 46 light years away (so utterly impractical for interstellar travel) because that had the kind of planetary system I needed. Plus everything seems to go for Alpha Centauri and I wanted to be a bit different but still be real place haha!

I've done an alternative edit of the film which should be uploaded soon which is an artier version, but I'm submitting both versions for my final piece and saying one is more of a cinematic version and the other to be something projected in a gallery for example.

Thanks for all your feedback everyone, you've been a great help!

It was actually based on Gamma Cephei, which is about 46 light years away (so utterly impractical for interstellar travel) because that had the kind of planetary system I needed. Plus everything seems to go for Alpha Centauri and I wanted to be a bit different but still be real place haha!

I've done an alternative edit of the film which should be uploaded soon which is an artier version, but I'm submitting both versions for my final piece and saying one is more of a cinematic version and the other to be something projected in a gallery for example.

Thanks for all your feedback everyone, you've been a great help!

Gamma Cephei is a binary of a red dwarf and orange subgiant, and it has only 1 planet.

I took some artistic license with the visualisation of the stars. Plus we don't know what dwarf planets are present there; the only planet shown is the gas giant, the grey one is meant to be a dwarf and the atmospheric world is a moon of the gas giant.

I took some artistic license with the visualisation of the stars. Plus we don't know what dwarf planets are present there; the only planet shown is the gas giant, the grey one is meant to be a dwarf and the atmospheric world is a moon of the gas giant.

You should really do more of these films though! One with Vega would be cool, there's evidence that it could have planets with primitive life and oxygen atmospheres.

• 2 weeks later...

Man, this was really well done! Pretty much everything about it was very amazing and decent.

And for a second there, i thought our British astronaut was going to be some extraterrestrial's lunch. Raises alot of interesting questions, and that's perfect!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.