Memory Leak?

Maybe this will be off-topic... but it's poor communication from Squad!

Agreed.

They inform inside the launcher about "deviant arts" ???

DeviantArt is a website. It is not deviant in the least but it is quite artistic. I can get lost there sometimes in a way similar to how I get lost in TVTropes sometimes.

That memory error is game-breaking and not just a bad looking texture!

Also agreed, but the game IS in Beta and this HAS been reported as fixed.

DeviantArt is a website. It is not deviant in the least but it is quite artistic. I can get lost there sometimes in a way similar to how I get lost in TVTropes sometimes.

I know DeviantArt - spend (surely already too much :D) time there. But this isn't a relevant info for beta-state. Also like any cinematics and twitch vids.

I bought it at ver. 17.5(.something) and saw the steps that game did since alpha. But the last 2 (mini-) updates from 0.90 to 0.90.1x up to 0.90.705 went totaly backwards for me. IF they fixed that damn memory problem - so why won't they test it's functionality inbetween the beta-state? Hotfix and fin :huh:

• 3 weeks later...
Well, the game is now out of beta, but I can confirm that the memory leak still exists. At least, for me.

Regularly >>BOOM<< after approx. 1/2-3/4h of playing.

Sigh...

Well, the game is now out of beta, but I can confirm that the memory leak still exists. At least, for me.

Sigh...

which one are you talking about? And yeah there's still at least one memory leak around. The terrain leak isn't as bad as before, but it's still there.

You know, it seems so easy to test for a memory leak (though finding the source is another matter entirely), so why didn't they?.......

Sigh...

Agreed. This current leak is a great example of something that shouldn't be in a released game. However it's not the same leak anymore, because flying with terrain scatter on doesn't cause it.

The only current leak I know about is with the heat gauges up. I've crashed because of it. It's the only time the game has crashed on me since 1.0 came out.

Yeah, just noticed this myself. Not sure what's causing it but with only a handful of mods I start out at ~2.5 gigs and after a little under an hour playing it had gone up to 3.7 gigs. Finally closed it out before it blew up on me. Really, really wish x64 worked. My 16 gig machine really shouldn't have to deal with a 4 gig ram limit that only lets me play with a tiny number of mods X_X

I also come across with memory leak problem. Narrowed down to only few mods. I was thinking that is B9 PW mod bug, but unfortunately it is stock game bug.

You can see on pictures that memory leaks starts when temperature gauges shows up on screen, activly flooding memory with garbage until it CTD. If you have more mods installed CTD apears sooner.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

I had no crashing problems in 0.90 but now with 1.0.2 I do and I have way less mods than before.

I used to run Outer Planets, EVE, Better Atmospheres, many small mods and part mods with ATM basic and -force-opengl but now I crash with only Procedural Parts, ScanSat and small partless mods (I had 60 mods now I have 38 and it always eventually runs out of memory). I'm also using AutoPruner (I modified the part list) to safely "remove" all the stock fuel tanks since I'm using PP.

I bet Realism Overhaul (if/when it gets updated) won't be able to run at all now.

Edited by kendoka15

Yeah, I'm experiencing much the same thing described by many in this thread. I'm running KSP on an iMac (3.5GHz i7 | 32 GB Ram) and it seems that loading anything new is prone to crash KSP (spinning beach ball of death instead of a CTD, but then you have to force quit KSP anyway). Most often its trying to go back to the space centre after flying a ship or going to a hangar that will finally crash the game, but sometimes it can be as minor as right-clicking a part to bring up the tweak window. It does get more and more likely the longer the game is running. With complex vessels, it's unusual to get more than 5-6 location changes before everything implodes. If I load KSP > Tracking Station > Fly Vessel > KSC > Hangar > Launch Pad, in the span of 10 minutes it seems just likely to crash as if I go through the same sequence, but spend 45 minutes planning manoeuvres in space. i.e. Changing game states is more of a factor than time as far as I can tell.

Also, it's pretty common to see texture glitches right before this occurs. The texture from a random part will appear overlaid on top of everything on screen or the shaders may start flickering as though someone has furnished a toddler with the light switch for the sun. Would be really nice to be able to play for more than 20-40 minutes without restarting...

Also, it's pretty common to see texture glitches right before this occurs. The texture from a random part will appear overlaid on top of everything on screen or the shaders may start flickering as though someone has furnished a toddler with the light switch for the sun. Would be really nice to be able to play for more than 20-40 minutes without restarting...

Unfortunately that's a Unity bug with hi-res textures on OS X. Use ATM to cap textures at 4k (4096px), run half-res textures across the board, or dual boot Linux.

Windows 8 user here and also see this texture problem, good to know that's when I should save like mad!

Press F10 to hide the heat gauges, and the memory will stop leaking.
It is not my itention to drag you down, but unfortunately a/the memory leak is still present even with temp gauges off.

I monitored the memory usage prior rocket launch on the launch pad. After reaching space I revert to launch pad and monitored mem usage again. I came from 2.9GB to 3.2GB mem usage in four launches (values may differ on other computers).

I don't think -popupwindow helps memory, but it does allow you to alt-tab away from the game without crashing.

Err, can't you can do that anyway? I've always been able to in full screen mode.

It is not my itention to drag you down, but unfortunately a/the memory leak is still present even with temp gauges off..

It is, however, a lot less.

Err, can't you can do that anyway? I've always been able to in full screen mode.

I actually don't know. I used to have horrible problems back in.. 0.21? 0.20? Whenver I started using -popupwindow. I've never ever run the game without it since, except for some framerate tests to see if not doing it helped. It didn't so I went back to it.

• 2 years later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.