[DISCUSSION] What will happen with your karbonite/kethane games once stock mining is implemented?

SmashBrown

I was having a think last night and this crossed my mind, i mean the answer could be pretty obvious, in that they will simply become redundant, OR, squads implementation could not be to everyone's taste and folks will continue to use their own preferred mods. Curious to see what the authors of those mods are thinking as well? Will it be worth maintaining their mods? SO, discuss!

Also, big thanks to RoverDude for karbonite, i haven't used kethane, but i really like karbonite.

I think the stock system will be pliable... As in it can be adapted to Karbonite or Kethane or any resource mod...

As MaxMaps noted in the SquadCast, resources will be very moddable. Noted in another thread and will repeat here - I have a pretty vested interest in making sure resources are moddable, lest I break my own current and future mods :P

I can answer for Karbonite. It will be moved over to the stock resource system.

Will Karbonite parts be directly updated to work in 1.0 (And use the new (old?) models?)? Like, will saves using Karbonite be compatible with stock, and have their parts changed to be the new stock parts? Does that even make sense?

As MaxMaps noted in the SquadCast, resources will be very moddable. Noted in another thread and will repeat here - I have a pretty vested interest in making sure resources are moddable, lest I break my own current and future mods :P
So, sane function calls and no crazy work-arounds? That would be a breath of fresh air...

It wouldn't surprise me that resource mods actually become more prevalent. Who knows what will happen with Kethane (or any other resource/mining mod) when this new stock resource function comes into play. The decision to convert to the new resource system or stick with an existing system will depend on the individual mod author, but I'm sure the number of mods providing parts or plugins for mining will explode.

There is high chance 1.0 will break existing saves anyway - due to the changes in aerodynamics, parts rebalance etc. So i probably will do a clean install and start fresh anyway. It remaining to be seen if i will install resource mod or stick to the stock option.

This is the folder path on my desktop. I have a saved game with 42 mods... I'm not gonna leave her behind just because of a new, shiny, stable "stock" update.

Desktop

KSP Saves

KSP 0.90

Modded Default

. Modded Migrant Battle Fleet \\This is my main save. It has 42 mods. It crashes every 2 hours, but restarts quickly because of Active Texture Management.

Modlist

Vanilla fresh install

KSP 25.0

25.0 Basic Mods and Hangar

25.0 Mods

25.0 Vanilla

KSP 24.0

etc...

KSP 22.0

KSP22-Downloads

KSP22-ModMechJeb

KSP22-Pre23

KSP22-Vanilla

Simply copy your 0.90 KSP folder to somewhere else if you want to continue using your current save. I highly doubt it will be compatible with 1.0, actually I would guarantee it won't be.

That's what I'll be doing. I'm in too deep to start again just yet.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.