Devnote Tuesday: "Point sharp end towards space"

SQUAD

Okay, okay. Everybody gets it. Folks would prefer that more development news and teases were posted here first. Seriously. We get it. Now please stop flogging that dead horse and discuss the news itself rather than its source.

The reason we flog the dead horse about it is because it matters - a lot.

The current example is SOE/DBG and Planetside2 - where the devs consistently shunned the forums in preference for posting information on Reddit, Twitter, Facebook. As a result, finding out information about your favorite game became and adventure in "where the frick did they feel like posting today". It resulted in a confused and conflicted message about the game which turned off a lot of players. It also made the paying customers feel like they were second-class citizens compared to people on Reddit/FB/Twitter (most of which who were not paying customers). Which turned off even more players.

Players, customers and clients can tell when you're not all singing from the same song book.

In SOE's case, there should have been a mandate from above to engage players using the official forums - with posts on social media sites only used to tease/pull people to the official website/forums.

Instead, they continued to ignore the community and ended up being sold to an investment group (who will likely gut the company and go for the short-term profits).

Only if you were deducting some outrageous amount of wages for them!

There is such a thing as balance and I'm sure nobody is suggesting applying such wages as to require your KSP administrator to sacrifice his first born to secure that loan.

But as far as I see it, to have wages that make any difference when doing flights to Mun or Minmus they would have to be at a level where a flight that takes years would be a serious drain on resources. Either it does not matter in the early game or it matters too much in the later game.

I'm not sure balance is possible with such a wide range of mission length.

Let me add that there are people who do not wish to make an FB/Twitter account to participate in discussions.

Add me to that crowd. I joined the official forum because I was under the impression that doing so would allow me to see news earlier and more fully. Also to be able to feedback to the devs more directly.

Now that seems to not be the case I'm not sure why I bothered or would continue to bother.

We were told recently by Maxmaps that the announcements subforum would be used more.

I'm still watching the announcements subforum with hope that it may end up being used more but there looks to only be one post this year...

Very poor show SQUAD. Use the things you have set up for the purpose they were set up!

We are really feeling snubbed here on your official forum!

EDIT :

Okay, okay. Everybody gets it. Folks would prefer that more development news and teases were posted here first. Seriously. We get it. Now please stop flogging that dead horse and discuss the news itself rather than its source.

When a post appears on the announcements subforum that the dead horse is gone and there is no need to flog it any more then there will be no need to flog the dead horse. Until that point there is an elephant *and* a dead horse in the room. Everyone has now seen the elephant which means it cannot be ignored and so the dead horse is being flogged.

I'm being obtuse, sorry. The elephant is the lack of posts in the announcement subforum. When that changes there will be no reason to mention the lack.

That is the solution to the amount of posts regarding no posts in the announcement subforum. That is when it will be plain that SQUAD 'gets it'

When they post an announcement...

Myself I'm not so bothered about it being posted here first as long as the news is officially posted here AT ALL.

We should be able to look back on the announcements subforum and see a slew of posts related to things that SQUAD have announced to the official forum.

Instead there has not been a post this year except the 'valentino' one.

One post.

Edited by John FX

Only if you were deducting some outrageous amount of wages for them!

There is such a thing as balance and I'm sure nobody is suggesting applying such wages as to require your KSP administrator to sacrifice his first born to secure that loan.

Indeed nobody asked for that.

And well ... missions can be awarded with some specifications (let's say bring "3 kerbals on Duna") AND a budget in advance to cover the wages, the ship building and all.

If the player has the need to get more money, there is also the "commercial" contracts to provide a bit more money at completion.

apart the wage mechanic there is nothing to add. Only to design the "main" contracts to give a nice budget.

And if a KCT mechanic is introduced... we get a space program to manage in every aspect.

Or just ditch the docking mode entirely. I manually dock frequently, with no additional aids, and I don't think I've ever switched over to docking mode other than an initial "what does this do?" when I first started playing.

IMO, it's just additional UI "static" that really doesn't serve any purpose other than to confuse people about what they're supposed to do with it, and why their controls are no longer behaving the same way.

I've learned that if you smash two spacecraft together hard enough, anything will dock once.

• 1 month later...
So, how is this going to work with gamepads and flight sticks? Does this mean we can't use a combination of gamepad and keyboard anymore? The way that is done is with the keyboard on primary and the gamepad on secondary controls but now it sounds like secondary controls have to be used for docking?

To clarify, If I fly my rockets with the keyboard, but my planes with my 360 controller, can I not do that anymore because I can only have pitch, yaw, and roll at one location?

I SECOND THIS!

I use gamepad controls for aircraft, it's almost essential with FAR.

Also, with my larger, bulkier, more unstable rocket payloads ;)

Please don't make it *MORE* difficult to get gamepad controls set up!

I SECOND THIS!

I use gamepad controls for aircraft, it's almost essential with FAR.

Also, with my larger, bulkier, more unstable rocket payloads ;)

Please don't make it *MORE* difficult to get gamepad controls set up!

Ssssh, this thread is a few months old. Please address your concerns in the newest Devnotes, or the current 1.0 thread.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.