Please avoid posting dark pictures!

Foxster

I understand this frustration. Sometimes people share pictures of designs they've made, and they take the shot on the pad at night, where they have complete control over the daylight. But those are specific cases. Lots of other shots are taken as they happen, or the darkness is part of the intended composition, which is fine of course.

But my frustration is greater with the game's limitations in dynamic ambient lighting, that things look dark even at noon (the sides of the rocket on the pad will be almost black). Even PlanetShine and Ambient Light Adjustment aren't completely enough just due to how KSP does things, IMHO.

Basically we should have lots of diffuse, ambient light when inside an atmosphere. And in space, we should have brightly illuminated objects with sharp shadows (though I think it's OK to fudge the ambient light upward here for the sake of style and gameplay).

I love the fact that they're trying to be somewhat realistic with the sunlight angle and distance, but since they're not also simulating atmospheric scatter, or the eye's ability to adjust aperture size, it results in some serious shortcomings.

If you upload to imgur, you can edit and 'magic up' images to brighten, sharpen and do other fancy wide-rimmed glasses stuff. snip*

That's what I'd suggest too. Although it can make things look a bit washed out, it does get more of the point across.

Often you can plan to take a good pic, especially at launch, but other times "things" happen when they happen and you have to grab the pic real quick. So for all those times, there's brightness/contrast settings to play with.

(also, what's clear to you may be pitch black to someone else, depending on screen quality and personal preference for brightness settings. I notice my images are less clear in my work env vs my windows gaming env and that's on the same machine.)

Here's a terminal velocity illustration in FAR. The scene is particularly beautiful, with the blue ocean and green rolling hills of Kerbin in the background. Also the rakish triple-fins on the rocket are a sight to behold.

FAR-TerminalVelocity.jpg

It's also an illustration of OMFG UI clutter.

SmallTrollFace.jpg

There are a lot of pictures posted at night or in shadow that are really impossible to make out. Its a shame as they are often of interesting craft and locations.

If possible, warp forward until you get some daylight for some nicer pictures.

What if the thing we are trying to show is not necessarily the vehicle, but the lights?

What if the thing we are trying to show is not necessarily the vehicle, but the lights?

Of course, if you are showing off a crafts lighting or how it looks with the sun behind it or whatever then great, go for it.

A lot of folks though want to show off their craft or adventure as best they can and forget that its kinda hard to appreciate their shots when they are just too dark.

Right there with you OP. There's nothing more irritating then seeing someone post "check out my craft!" and it's nothing but black.

+1 Support.

Totally agree. For support questions dark screenshots are an absolute no-no. For pure aesthetics dark screenshots can be marvellous like my current desktop:

screenshot2.png

For pure aesthetics dark screenshots can be marvellous like my current desktop

And I'll agree with that. Unfortunately I see far more "Concept" Landers/Rovers/Interplanetary craft that are just...black... than I do artistic-vision screenies.

Bottom line, if you want to show off the craft or get help, we got to be able to see it. If it's just artwork...well then beauty is in the eye of the beholder now isn't it?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.