[Bug] AMD card freezes my computer on game launch.

never mind. this is a bug

(I made a post similar to this in Modded, but it was incorrect and getting relatively irrelevant so I made a new, fresh one here. Could someone lock the old one?)

KSP is crashing as soon as I click Start Game on the main screen. My computer completely hangs and only mouse input works, nothing else. I can't Alt+Tab or type.

Here's a video of the situation. I'm sorry about the quality, I needed to record it on a camera because I couldn't use a screen capture utility. (Computer crashed, obviously.)

Here are my specifications and details:

Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

KSP 0.90 Stock, 64-bit and 32-bit

AMD Radeon HD 7700Ghz

Using AMD fglrx drivers. The FOSS ones are extremely slow and buggy for me.

Log Files:

Player.log Note: This probably won't be helpful. KSP doesn't leave any records of it crashing.

Thank you for any help you can give.

I believe this is a bug of a sort, another user, Yski, had the same issue:

I can confirm this is a stock issue, I'm having the same problem. No fix so far.

Thanks in advance.

-waterlubber

Edited by waterlubber

Can confirm, this is exactly what's happening to me. The mouse freezes as well if you try to move it outside the KSP window if you run it in windowed mode.

Here are a few others with the same issue, no known fixes though:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/92231-The-Linux-Thread?p=1711937&viewfull=1#post1711937

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/92231-The-Linux-Thread?p=1680958&viewfull=1#post1680958

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/92231-The-Linux-Thread?p=1701083&viewfull=1#post1701083

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/109493-KSP-Freezing

It's definitely an issue with the driver rather than KSP. Here's what I've figured out so far.

Copy-pasted from one of the earlier threads:

Here's what I know so far:

-Nothing in ksp's log files

-Nothing in kern.log based on time stamps.

-Nothing I could find in Xorg.0.log, but no time stamps and I'm a linux noob so could've missed something. Not the whole thing since it wouldn't fit, but this should be the relevant part http://pastebin.com/pzG9KU3A

-Same problem in the two latest versions of ubuntu, reinstalling ubuntu doesn't fix it.

-Same problem in both Ubuntu and Mint.

-Aimlessly fiddling with random settings doesn't fix it. Neither does trying again and praying :P

Specs: GPU: Radeon HD 7800/ CPU: i5-3750k/ RAM: 16gb/ OS: two versions of Ubuntu, newest Mint/ Driver: fglrx, fglrx-updates and the newest driver from AMD website/ Resolution: 1920x1080

Apologies for vague version numbers, I can check them in a few days when I get home if someone feels they would make a difference.

Edited by Yski

Hi Waterlubber, does it only crash with the proprietary driver or both, and have you tried the driver from the AMD website?

Can you delete the settings.cfg from the KSP folder and the prefs file from "/home/user/Games/Kerbal Space Program/player logs/Kerbal Space Program/" and move your saves somewhere safe, restore the default saves older with scenarios and training from the KSP zip and run the game to get some new logs please?

Also try keeping a system monitor open while this happens so you can look for abnormal memory and cpu use.

Ideally we need a way to watch what your computer is doing when this occurs.

Never mind.

Still not working. Dangit, I don't know what I did.

The main reason that this is a huge issue is because it fully and completely crashes my computer, so I can't easily debug it without wasting HOURS. My computer takes ~5 minutes to start because Linux doesn't know what it's doing.

Edited by waterlubber

Seems strange that Linux is taking so long to start, it should be a lot faster than that, and that suggests the issue is your OS install itself or hardware related.

The gnome-disk-utility can check your disks s.m.a.r.t data for issues with those, memtest is included on most Linux live cd's, they may find nothing but peace of mind though.

SMART is all smiles. (Honestly the startup is mostly me being impatient, the OS boots up in like 30 seconds but I spend most of the time waiting around for unity to load.)

I think the problem lies at screen resolutions or antialiasing, but I want to completely make sure it's disabled.

I've got the problem down...ish.

Good news is, it's likely NOT graphics related.

Bad news, I have no idea WHAT it is.

After reinstalling the game for a 4th time, it ran perfectly. I hit back to change a setting and the same bug happened. Here's what I know:

The game works first time opening it

The bug happens on the scene change between the "Start Game/Settings" and "New/Continue Game" screens.

The bug leaves no logs and seems to be independent of graphics, etc.

I could provide the KSP install folder on request.

• 1 month later...

I hope this is patched in the 1.0 update, the game is incompatible with AMD and Linux.

Honestly I'm considering buying a GTX 960, anyone know compatibility with that and KSP?

Edited by waterlubber
980? I ain't got money for dat!

Can't help on the GTX960.

But I run a reference pattern Gainward GTX970 and it never breaks into a sweat.

Just watched you video for the first time....

Looks like KSP freezes and holds the keyboard inputs.

What version of OpenGL are you running ?

I'm running iirc 4.4

Anyway, I found a patch--you cannot use the Ubuntu drivers. You need to manually install them from the AMD site.

First, go to the Software and Updates page and select the open source drivers. Reboot.

Then, follow the uninstallation instructions on this page:

Http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubuntu_Trusty_Installation_Guide#Removing_Catalyst.2Ffglrx

This is assuming you are using Ubuntu 14.04.

Afterwards, go to this page and install the Stable Catalyst drivers:

wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubuntu_Trusty_Installation_Guide

Reboot and try KSP! It should hopefully work.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.