[WIP][1.0][V0.2]Bloeting Corp. Tantares+ Parts Pack (updating to darker and edgier in progress)

passinglurker

I'd prefer the CARV to have 3 kerbals. Any less would just be silly with such a big pod.

Well bare in mind that like the cappella this big pod is carrying a sizable amount of fuel and depending on your mod other cargo with a few chairs wedged in where they fit. Also the real CARV was devised as an unmanned cargo vessel like the dragon v1 not a crew bus like the dragon v2.

I'd prefer the CARV to have 3 kerbals. Any less would just be silly with such a big pod.
Well bare in mind that like the cappella this big pod is carrying a sizable amount of fuel and depending on your mod other cargo with a few chairs wedged in where they fit. Also the real CARV was devised as an unmanned cargo vessel like the dragon v1 not a crew bus like the dragon v2.

Yeah, I think two would be a better number. Three seems like too many, as it is primarily a cargo vehicle. So, maybe a bit more MP to resupply stations? Someone who's good with TAC configs could also help you out a bit.

So update on the IVA situation...

aNGG7wt.png?1

^here is your default view (anybody remember when we used to have GOOD imgur albums?)

cW9TwNp.png?1

^as you will note I was unable to get the kerbals eyes to line up with the window.

Nm9oARX.png?1

^This might not seem like a big deal but when you double click the window to change your view you also clear your targets including any docking ports you may be rapidly approaching so my effort to keep relevant instruments in one's field of view were kinda wasted (picture is the default view for the window camera and was taken on the ground if that speed indicator didn't already give me away)

kAfXuPk.png?1

^I do like the angle I set the portrait cam at though shame the bulky kerbal helmet clips into the walls and cieling in this cramped little pod hopefully moddable kerbal suits will be an official thing some day ;)

OshQ7z6.png?1

^Though despite all my failed objectives in making this IVA I do feel there was one thing I did that I can be proud of :D

So here's the IVA all by itself if you know how to install it then you are qualified to test it, and please give me any suggestions you come up with on how it can be improved and tell me about any quirks and showstoppers you find there is probably something else wrong with it that I'm not thinking of :rolleyes:

DOWNLOAD IVA BETA

Any plans on adding an IVA?
two posts above you dude ;)
Unfortunately this doesn't work in 1.0. There is no way to attach anything to the bottom of the craft. :(

I'll make some time to fix it after I get back from work the fix seems simple from what I gather (yay for smart phones :D)

use http://imgur.com/a/ dont use the full URL, just the whats after the http://imgur.com/a/

I know how to make albums I just hate how kasper switched the forums to the new mobile phone focused album system all of a sudden. They used to be bigger with thumbnails and descriptions and a "view full resolution" all without having to click through to the imgur site. In the time since I wrote that I've learned some stop gap solutions to get most of the features back but still I really want the forums to revert back to the old albums cause I don't want to remember a long string of code. especially since the old API for them still works. but this is all very off topic if you want to discuss how much the new album system sucks and how kasper should revert the forums back to the old system until they are improved go check out this thread ;)

Alright quick opinion check as I reconfigure my parts for 1.0 and give my IVA lights cause I derped and forgot them :P

What would you guys think about the reaction wheel on the Hermes consuming MonoProp instead of ElectricCharge?(simple enough to do without going back into unity and adding rcs thrusters I can just define what resources the reaction wheel module uses instead) On one hand the real mercury didn't have reaction wheels it had RCS for its attitude control, they could only be used to orientation not translation as would be the case if I gave the hermes a "reaction wheel" that ran off monoprop and the oddball quality would help justify the lower weight of the pod compared to stock equivalents. On the other hand this mod doesn't really make big claims about "historical accuracy", and the oddball nature could hamper the pods versatility beyond historical reenactments. so what are your opinions on this?

If I wanted a very accurate capsule, I would go to FASA.

I think the stock alike area is where this mod is needed. I mas making my own Mercury capsule when this one came out and filled the need perfectly. (Infact the ONLY difference in how you did it, is that my retros were going to be mono prop and controllable. Err and I did my own textures. (poorly))

My two cents.

If I wanted a very accurate capsule, I would go to FASA.

That is a very good point.... and it gave me several ideas that might push the release back a little *takes the antenna/nose cone part back to the drawing board, and starts looking up information on explorer1*

*laughs maniacally*

Ok its ready to roll!

Bloeting Corp. Tantares+ v0.2

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Changes!
_v0.2_
*KSP 1.0 compatible!
*IVA added to Hermes command pod
*Nose cone antenna has been remodeled and remade as a nose cone probe core/sample return capsule (perfect for flying non pilot kerbals like tourists and rescue'ies, or recreating cold war corona spy satellites)
*MM config adds an antenna module to Tantares decoupler/parachute/rcs part (as if it didn't have enough to do already)
*Hermes Command pod ElectricCharge storage buffed (now holds 125 electric charge. Enough to power the included probe core for a little less than 1 kerbin day)
*Hermes Engine is now a throttleable hybrid rocket motor complete with oxidizer because haveing little to no control over your descent angle is a bad thing

Mediafire:DOWNLOAD

Ok its ready to roll!

Bloeting Corp. Tantares+ v0.2

http://imgur.com/a/Y5rD4/embed?background=292929&text=ffffff&link=4e76c9

Changes!
_v0.2_
*KSP 1.0 compatible!
*IVA added to Hermes command pod
*Nose cone antenna has been remodeled and remade as a nose cone probe core/sample return capsule (perfect for flying non pilot kerbals like tourists and rescue'ies, or recreating cold war corona spy satellites)
*MM config adds an antenna module to Tantares decoupler/parachute/rcs part (as if it didn't have enough to do already)
*Hermes Command pod ElectricCharge storage buffed (now holds 125 electric charge. Enough to power the included probe core for a little less than 1 kerbin day)
*Hermes Engine is now a throttleable hybrid rocket motor complete with oxidizer because haveing little to no control over your descent angle is a bad thing

Mediafire:DOWNLOAD

New nosecone looks sweet! Will get lots of use :)

• 2 weeks later...
Any news on the CARV?

Waiting on squad to make re entry heat matter otherwise the CARV has no niche, and for Beale to decide if he's gonna make any changes to the ATV's texture sheet.

In the mean time I've been toying with making a cockpit that fits the old mk1-inline IVA mod on the side because it's a shame to let a perfectly good IVA go to waste. The canopy is done now I just have to figure out how to smoothly merge it with whatever form factor I wind up picking (smooth organic shapes are my nemesis why did I decide to do this? -_-) and of course texture it (can't cheat and reference beales textures here all his windows are too small) and unity-ify it (ok so there is a lot still to do...)

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have a minor little suggestion to make: a mission flag on the pod. Like how mercury capsules had this:

TMOF_MercuryCapsule1_P1.jpg

If you ignore the big "united states" and just put the togglable mission flag there, it'd be great (especially for my Space Race save).

• 1 month later...

Ok so news and stuff and things. With the changes the latests tantares versions made to the gemini sheet an update is being worked on but it is delayed as I'm trying to get ahold of beale in order to get an updated photoshop file of the texture sheet. If all goes well next update will feature an optimised stand alone version alongside the usual "ramfree if you use tantares" I've always offered and that way future updates to tantares will always leave at least one version that always works.

Now talking ballance I'm not exactly happy with the arrangement for the retro rocket pack still. Even after trying to get used to it I just don't like engine/decoupler combo's so what I'm thinking is turning the retro rocket pack into a heavy duty decoupler with enough umph to kick a capsule down from orbit. As I'm officially hopping on the integrated ablator bandwagon I'm not too concerned about it making you go so shallow you burn up on reentry. Any strong objections?

Next order of ballance. I don't know what I was thinking with that probe core nose cone I'm probably gonna bite the bullet and make it a parachute next (vostok starter parachute is too flat and the stock starter parachute screws with my sense or order and sanity because it's not 24 sided and it's smaller than 0.625m) assuming I can figure out how to make a parachute anyway.

Which brings us to what we presently use as a parachute what do you guys think is better for taking its place in assembling a mercury replica? inline goo experiment, or a reaction wheel that runs off monoprop?

EDIT: oh and about RO. I have no idea I don't use RO.

EDIT,EDIT: the flag is a good idea I'll see what I can do.

Edited by passinglurker

Ok so news and stuff and things. With the changes the latests tantares versions made to the gemini sheet an update is being worked on but it is delayed as I'm trying to get ahold of beale in order to get an updated photoshop file of the texture sheet. If all goes well next update will feature an optimised stand alone version alongside the usual "ramfree if you use tantares" I've always offered and that way future updates to tantares will always leave at least one version that always works.

Now talking ballance I'm not exactly happy with the arrangement for the retro rocket pack still. Even after trying to get used to it I just don't like engine/decoupler combo's so what I'm thinking is turning the retro rocket pack into a heavy duty decoupler with enough umph to kick a capsule down from orbit. As I'm officially hopping on the integrated ablator bandwagon I'm not too concerned about it making you go so shallow you burn up on reentry. Any strong objections?

Next order of ballance. I don't know what I was thinking with that probe core nose cone I'm probably gonna bite the bullet and make it a parachute next (vostok starter parachute is too flat and the stock starter parachute screws with my sense or order and sanity because it's not 24 sided and it's smaller than 0.625m) assuming I can figure out how to make a parachute anyway.

Which brings us to what we presently use as a parachute what do you guys think is better for taking its place in assembling a mercury replica? inline goo experiment, or a reaction wheel that runs off monoprop?

EDIT: oh and about RO. I have no idea I don't use RO.

EDIT,EDIT: the flag is a good idea I'll see what I can do.

The new black textures work better with the Hermes and look way nicer.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.