[WIP][1.0][V0.2]Bloeting Corp. Tantares+ Parts Pack (updating to darker and edgier in progress)

passinglurker

Bloeting Areospace Corporation

This is small set of parts I made for fun to expand upon the already very awesome Tantares mod made by Beale. The pack currently adds a Mercury-esque analog and thanks to the models being mapped to the Tantares mod textures its essentially ram free(assuming you are already using Tantares anyway which you should ;) ). More is planned for the future and I'm open to feedback and suggestions. and before you ask an assembled hermes/mercury craft complete with command pod, engine, parachute, and probe core has about 100-150 vacDV

Javascript is disabled. View full album

*the parachute in the album is from tantares

Required Mods: Tantares (only uses the textures from the Gemini/Spica parts you can throw the rest away if you want)

Current Version: 0.2

Changes!
_v0.2_
*KSP 1.0 compatible
*IVA added to Hermes command pod
*Nose cone antenna has been remodeled and remade as a nose cone probe core/sample return capsule (perfect for flying non pilot kerbals like tourists and rescue'ies, or recreating cold war corona spy satellites)
*MM config adds an antenna module to Tantares decoupler/parachute/rcs part (as if it didn't have enough to do already)
*Hermes Command pod ElectricCharge storage buffed (now holds 125 electric charge. Enough to power the included probe core for a little less than 1 kerbin day)
*Hermes Engine is now a throttleable hybrid rocket motor complete with oxidizer because haveing little to no control over your descent angle is a bad thing

_v0.1_
*initial release

Mediafire:DOWNLOAD

Old versions

Mediafire: bloeting 0.1

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

Edited by passinglurker

Hey thanks for putting this together! This is quite neat, and an awesome companion mod to Tantares.

- - - Updated - - -

One possible thing you could do would be to recolor the TKS orbital blocks from Tantares to match the Gemini and Mercury. That way one could make a MOLE-style laboratory that all matched.

Made a few quick sub-orbital and splashdowns with no bugs. As far as suggestions, the forward view window will make it handy for IVA 1 crew docking but that may require a different nose with comm and dock port. Perhaps like the Clamp-O-Tron Shielded Docking Port. An illuminated docking aid could be an option.

Is the small decoupler intended to go between the nose cone and the Tantares Gemini RCS/Parachute part? That is how I tested it. Will the nose cone release just by staging the chutes? Also the re-entry pack is great but it appears to decouple only by event-click. Not unexpected if only one stage event can be on the part but definitely something that needs to be noted.

Good work so far.

Hey thanks for putting this together! This is quite neat, and an awesome companion mod to Tantares.

- - - Updated - - -

One possible thing you could do would be to recolor the TKS orbital blocks from Tantares to match the Gemini and Mercury. That way one could make a MOLE-style laboratory that all matched.

hmm... you mean like make blue space station parts? all the concepts I've seen of MOL seem to be white or bare metal, but that already matches up with the aesthetic already established by stock and TKS parts. so I'm not sure I'm visualizing what you are suggesting right.
Made a few quick sub-orbital and splashdowns with no bugs. As far as suggestions, the forward view window will make it handy for IVA 1 crew docking but that may require a different nose with comm and dock port. Perhaps like the Clamp-O-Tron Shielded Docking Port. An illuminated docking aid could be an option.

Is the small decoupler intended to go between the nose cone and the Tantares Gemini RCS/Parachute part? That is how I tested it. Will the nose cone release just by staging the chutes? Also the re-entry pack is great but it appears to decouple only by event-click. Not unexpected if only one stage event can be on the part but definitely something that needs to be noted.

Good work so far.

The Tantares mod already includes many docking ports of the appropriate size including a matching blue port from the Gemini/spica parts so I'm afraid making yet another in the "blue american pod" style would seem a bit redundant, but a bare metal shielded docking port to cap the nose on the Tantares Spektr module/pod is on the rough todo list in my head ;)

The small decoupler is kinda an odd case you know when you assemble flat pack furniture and there is always that spare piece that you are not sure you need? its kinda like that basically I made it thinking it would be needed as a means to decouple from the retro pack, but the plan didn't turn out to be workable as one would have needed to use the offset gizmo to close the resulting gap between the pod and the retropack fairing and doing that caused all sorts of kraken related issues. So instead I configured decoupler as part of the retro pack and I had to make it unstageable because if it was stageable it would always fire the engine and decouple at the same time which when dealing with SRB's is a very good way to make everything go very wrong. So in the end the small decoupler wasn't needed but I still included it because by that point it was fully functional any way, it didn't cost any extra ram, and people can use it to replace the stock small decoupler, and save even more ram.

As for the IVA I plan to work on that once Beale releases the Gemini/Spica IVA and I have a texture sheet to work with ;)

hmm... you mean like make blue space station parts? all the concepts I've seen of MOL seem to be white or bare metal, but that already matches up with the aesthetic already established by stock and TKS parts. so I'm not sure I'm visualizing what you are suggesting right.

I just meant making the TKS parts blue to match the Gemini. They already go together really well, so maybe it's not the most important thing to do.

I just meant making the TKS parts blue to match the Gemini. They already go together really well, so maybe it's not the most important thing to do.

Oh I get it now, but unfortunately what you are asking for is kinda the opposite of what I'm doing with this mod. I'm essentially making alternate models for existing textures what you want is an alternate texture for an existing model.

But we already have a Mercury Capsule? Also the use of the LFB as an Atlas is cool, but perhaps more fitting as a Gemini-Titan-II missile. And the retropack looks great. I think I must be missing the point of the Tantares group of mods... Aren't they meant to be missing stock parts designed for building specific craft? The Mk1 pod is already in the game!

Edited by GregroxMun

I think I must be missing the point of the Tantares group of mods... Aren't they meant to be missing stock parts designed for building specific craft?

I'd love for someone to tell me :D

But, for the Mk1 Pod: Personally I dislike that it's top diameter is an odd size, makes building things hard with it, so I can definitely see the advantages of a small pod like this with standard diameters.

Really love what passinglurker has done here, especially the near zero RAM usage, which is always nice.

Yes. All of my yes. Mercury is my favourite US spacecraft, and now I don't need to make it the hard, clipping-inducing way.

Can I ask for more specific dependecies in the original post, though? Because one of the Tantares key features is modularity and possibility to remove non-used parts by just removing spacecraft folder?

A-a-and... With both Tantares and this minimod we've got

- Mercury

- Gemini

- Apollo

- and some days more - one-kerballed LEM.

And that's good.

I understand now what you are aiming for. Frankly that sounds a lot more interesting than what I suggested! Thanks for hearing me out though.

You're welcome :)

Ooh, it's beautiful!
Brilliant! :)

That mercury retro-pack is just gorgeous!

But we already have a Mercury Capsule? Also the use of the LFB as an Atlas is cool, but perhaps more fitting as a Gemini-Titan-II missile. And the retropack looks great. I think I must be missing the point of the Tantares group of mods... Aren't they meant to be missing stock parts designed for building specific craft? The Mk1 pod is already in the game!

So you want me to take it back then? :huh:

Anyway its bit late to make the call that this is a wasted effort. Not that I think this is the case in fact here are all the advantages this pod has over the Mk1 pod to the point that you should be rushing to throw that ram hungry squad part in the trash right now!:D

1. No extra ram usage(if you are already using the Tantares Gemini)
  2. Standard diameter and ideally placed attachment nodes(bottom node is at the base of the heat shield not at the tip eliminating the need to fiddle with offset, and the top node is a standard 0.625 unlike whatever funky smaller size the mk1 uses)
  3. Its lighter and has less resource capacity than the Vostok analog(just like the real Mercury, but those stats are still subject to change if anyone has any thoughts on the matter that they can back up with at least fuzzy math)
  4. Matches the Gemini's paint job (just like the real one and as a bonus you can now swap parts between them with aesthetic impunity)
  5. Better forward visibility making it useful beyond just mercury recreations (once I complete the IVA >.>)

this concludes our advertisement we now return you to your regularly scheduled broadcast and explosions ;)

And as for my choice of lazily assembled testing launcher the Titan-II didn't taper or have those side protrusions, and this arrangement had only just enough fuel for a pod this small and light to reach low orbit meaning if you take out about as much creative licence as I did on my mercury analog you'll find its a fine enough substitute until Niemand303's Road to Kosmos releases its Atlas ;)

Yes. All of my yes. Mercury is my favourite US spacecraft, and now I don't need to make it the hard, clipping-inducing way.

Can I ask for more specific dependecies in the original post, though? Because one of the Tantares key features is modularity and possibility to remove non-used parts by just removing spacecraft folder?

A-a-and... With both Tantares and this minimod we've got

- Mercury

- Gemini

- Apollo

- and some days more - one-kerballed LEM.

And that's good.

Specific dependencies given thanks for the tip ;)

You might want to fix the typo in the part description (Alniar?)

Otherwise, this is a dapper little capsule.

http://i.imgur.com/beLlUQl.png?1

Alnair is the manufacturer of the vostok analog in the tantares mod and as a result is this little pods competitor, but if you have alternate ideas for fun and informative part descriptions I'd love to hear them as well as any thoughts people have on the part ballance because I know many of my decisions were rather arbitrary.

Edited by passinglurker

Alnair is the manufacturer of the vostok analog in the tantares mod and as a result is this little pods competitor, but if you have alternate ideas for fun and informative part descriptions I'd love to hear them as well as any thoughts people have on the part ballance because I know many of my decisions were rather arbitrary.

The descriptions are nice, it was just the spelling of 'Alnair' that needs fixing :)

Just a quick config that adds support for DRE, KAS and RemoteTech.

///Deadly Reentry///

@PART[Hermes_Crew_A]:NEEDS[DeadlyReentry]
{
@maxTemp = 1700
MODULE
{
name = ModuleHeatShield
direction = 0, -1, 0
reflective = 0.05
ablative = AblativeShielding
loss
{
key = 650 0 0 0
key = 1000 64 0 0
key = 3000 80 0 0
}
dissipation
{
key = 300 0 0 0
key = 500 180 0 0
}
}
RESOURCE
{
name = AblativeShielding
amount = 250
maxAmount = 250
}
}

///KAS///

@PART[Hermes_Crew_A]:NEEDS[KAS]
{
MODULE
{
name = KASModuleContainer
maxSize = 20
}
}

///RemoteTech///

@PART[Hermes_Antenna_A]:NEEDS[RemoteTech]
{

!MODULE[ModuleDataTransmitter] {}

%MODULE[ModuleRTAntenna] {
%IsRTActive = true
%Mode0OmniRange = 0
%Mode1OmniRange = 300000
%EnergyCost = 0.01

%TRANSMITTER {
%PacketInterval = 0.3
%PacketSize = 2
%PacketResourceCost = 15.0
}
}

%MODULE[ModuleSPUPassive] {}
}

I've compiled it in single file, since there is no point in making three files for such a small pack.

Just a quick config that adds support for DRE, KAS and RemoteTech.

///Deadly Reentry///

@PART[Hermes_Crew_A]:NEEDS[DeadlyReentry]
{
@maxTemp = 1700
MODULE
{
name = ModuleHeatShield
direction = 0, -1, 0
reflective = 0.05
ablative = AblativeShielding
loss
{
key = 650 0 0 0
key = 1000 64 0 0
key = 3000 80 0 0
}
dissipation
{
key = 300 0 0 0
key = 500 180 0 0
}
}
RESOURCE
{
name = AblativeShielding
amount = 250
maxAmount = 250
}
}

///KAS///

@PART[Hermes_Crew_A]:NEEDS[KAS]
{
MODULE
{
name = KASModuleContainer
maxSize = 20
}
}

///RemoteTech///

@PART[Hermes_Antenna_A]:NEEDS[RemoteTech]
{

!MODULE[ModuleDataTransmitter] {}

%MODULE[ModuleRTAntenna] {
%IsRTActive = true
%Mode0OmniRange = 0
%Mode1OmniRange = 300000
%EnergyCost = 0.01

%TRANSMITTER {
%PacketInterval = 0.3
%PacketSize = 2
%PacketResourceCost = 15.0
}
}

%MODULE[ModuleSPUPassive] {}
}

I've compiled it in single file, since there is no point in making three files for such a small pack.

Thanks I'll be sure to include them in the next update :) (though I might reduce the KAS capacity a bit the Hermes/Mercury is supposed to be more cramped than the Almach/Vostok)

Looks gorgeous, but needs IVA's.

Come to think of it, Most Tantares parts need IVA's.

I plan to work on the Hermes/Mercury IVA when Beale releases the Gemini IVA in order to make it "ram free" ;)

Thanks I'll be sure to include them in the next update :) (though I might reduce the KAS capacity a bit the Hermes/Mercury is supposed to be more cramped than the Almach/Vostok)

Almach doesn't have a built-in KAS container, by the way. I've decided to make Hermes more universal - just in case if you want to launch a low-cost, single-Kerbal orbital ship in order to collect that last piece of DMagic science.

Also, anyone (except me) feels that this pack should be merged with Tantares?

Edited by biohazard15

Almach doesn't have a built-in KAS container, by the way. I've decided to make Hermes more universal - just in case if you want to launch a low-cost, single-Kerbal orbital ship in order to collect that last piece of DMagic science.

Also, anyone (except me) feels that this pack should be merged with Tantares?

If Beale wants to adopt these parts for Tanteres he's more than free too. ;)

As for the KAS situation I was thinking the opposite because relative to the Vostok the real Mercury was a much more limited craft, but that being said there isn't much wiggle room at the bottom. Perhaps what I should do is make a balance patch that assumes the mk1 pod doesn't exist, and then buffs the Almach and Hermes to fill its void accodingly(the Almach being heavier and more capable and the Hermes being lighter and less capable)

The only play balance I note is the retro pack, starting at the beginning of the Tech Tree in career mode, can also be used (on early sub orbital missions before you need a retro pack) as a cheat decoupler on attached stages before you get decouplers via research.

It should at least be moved to Basic Rocketry due to this.

For players using Tantares in competition with stock capsules I would keep Hermes as is, stat wise, to reflect the different historical approaches.

For players who would want to replace the stock MK1 with Hermes, add Tantares Gemini and keep stock MK1-2, I would reccommend you release a Hermes (stock stat alike) version that merely matches electrical and landing speeds to Stock MK1. The difference in mass is ok since it is lower in height. I am aiming to use a Hermes/Tantares Gemini/ MK 1-2 progression in capsules and edited their electrical to 50/100/stock 150, and made it equally in landing.

In real history you can compare the differences more accurately within the aims of two seperate space agenceies but as far as KSP I would beleive that the first player capsule should match stock to just make initial carrer contract goals and game play starting on a level equal to Squad's vision.

Edited by jpkerman

The only play balance I note is the retro pack, starting at the beginning of the Tech Tree in career mode, can also be used (on early sub orbital missions before you need a retro pack) as a cheat decoupler on attached stages before you get decouplers via research.

It should at least be moved to Basic Rocketry due to this.

For players using Tantares in competition with stock capsules I would keep Hermes as is, stat wise, to reflect the different historical approaches.

For players who would want to replace the stock MK1 with Hermes, add Tantares Gemini and keep stock MK1-2, I would reccommend you release a Hermes (stock stat alike) version that merely matches electrical and landing speeds to Stock MK1. The difference in mass is ok since it is lower in height. I am aiming to use a Hermes/Tantares Gemini/ MK 1-2 progression in capsules and edited their electrical to 50/100/stock 150, and made it equally in landing.

In real history you can compare the differences more accurately within the aims of two seperate space agenceies but as far as KSP I would beleive that the first player capsule should match stock to just make initial carrer contract goals and game play starting on a level equal to Squad's vision.

Well I'm not sure you can call start node decouplers cheating when you consider that Tantares adds one at start for the almach as well, also included in the pack is a patch that moves the Gemini parachute/decoupler/rcs to the start because how else would one return their hermes pod to the ground safely without fraternizing with the enemy? but that being said I could make the retropack a little more expensive to bring it more in line with other early game decouplers.

As for replacing the mk1 if you are using mods "squads vision" is kinda already out the window, but if I was to make a mk1 eliminating balance patch it would put both the Hermes and Almach fairly close to where the mk1 was and as a result it would serve both the users of the full mod and users who just want the american part equally well. On another note I can't really change the speed the pod descends on chutes because the larger gemini pod needs to use that parachute as well, and I can't have two of them because it is inevitable no matter how they are textured that they will be mixed up and result in exploding Gemini's.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.