YESSS! I finally did it! Eve has fallen.

ShadowZone

1506 hours into the game and today I managed to make a successful return from Eve for the first time :)

Landed a >100t vehicle, drove it to 5360m, launched into space. No ladder-tricks or control seats, I managed to do it with a lander can! On launch it had about 10071 m/s dV, in orbit I still had 450 m/s left - enough for a rendezvous for instance.

But this was only with a little help from Hyperedit getting me into Eve orbit and close to the return launch site. Now I got to design a "real" Eve mission... problem is: by design it would require 2 kerbals (want to use a rover to gather all possible science on that planet and process it in a lab)... but a vehicle able to carry the bigger lander can into orbit would need a way bigger lander. Probably will go with two landers with 125t each (including descent boosters and parachutes) instead of a 400t monstrosity.

It would probably be less mass to just take along multiple copies of science experiments (goo + material bays) than to take a processing lab and it would allow for a single kerbal and smaller pod/can. Also, you only need to take the data to orbit, you don't need to bring a processing lab or science equipments back, just move the data to your command pod before you leave the surface. So you could build a whole base on Eve's surface and use a rover to collect science and then transfer the data to a smaller ascent vehicle to get to orbit, leaving the base on the surface.

• 1 month later...
It would probably be less mass to just take along multiple copies of science experiments (goo + material bays) than to take a processing lab and it would allow for a single kerbal and smaller pod/can. Also, you only need to take the data to orbit, you don't need to bring a processing lab or science equipments back, just move the data to your command pod before you leave the surface. So you could build a whole base on Eve's surface and use a rover to collect science and then transfer the data to a smaller ascent vehicle to get to orbit, leaving the base on the surface.

I do this for everything...

I tend to reuse the bases but some are rotting on the surfaces of planets and moons.

1506 hours into the game and today I managed to make a successful return from Eve for the first time :)

Landed a >100t vehicle, drove it to 5360m, launched into space. No ladder-tricks or control seats, I managed to do it with a lander can! On launch it had about 10071 m/s dV, in orbit I still had 450 m/s left - enough for a rendezvous for instance.

But this was only with a little help from Hyperedit getting me into Eve orbit and close to the return launch site. Now I got to design a "real" Eve mission... problem is: by design it would require 2 kerbals (want to use a rover to gather all possible science on that planet and process it in a lab)... but a vehicle able to carry the bigger lander can into orbit would need a way bigger lander. Probably will go with two landers with 125t each (including descent boosters and parachutes) instead of a 400t monstrosity.

Congratulation, tips, next time land the accent rocket an high place and drive to it. You will anyway have to carry an large science rover.

Else I agree with you about reusing the test accent stage and use two.

Note if you have two cockpits on the rover you can save two copies of science to return, yes you can save in lab but you also use it to transmit.

I here assume you use the lab for reusing the material lab and goo containers else it make lite sense, as normal transmit+ two returns will gather all science. I use an science storage module from mod instead.

You could also send 2 craft, one your lander/assent vheicle to get the kerbal off planet and the second one a moderately sized rover. land the return craft in a convenient place, and try to land the rover somewhat nearby. You could even put wings on the rover to alow for a bit more down range control over where you land. Send your kerbal down in the rover (with engineer skill) in case you need to repair wheels after landing so he does not have to walk to it. Drive around collect science and then drive to his return vheicle.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.