3D Printed KSP Crafts are Possible!

Starwhip

KSPBlender--Blender .craft importer.

With Blender, it is possible to export 3D models to a 3D printer. And now, your craft can become readable, printable models, thanks to Dasoccerguy, a brand-new member of the forum!

Zekes' Life Size Space Shuttle in Blender:

xPJNhvB.png

This is soon to be printed. :)

A little bit complicated to get working, but once you do, it is worth it.

wD5fZYb.png

So, I can get pretty much anything printed?

Step 1: Take a whole multi-stage ship

Step 2: Explode with Kronal Vessel Viewer (or offset everything by hand if you are a masochist)

Step 3: Force save (or save if you like leather and chains)

Step 3.5: Do the thing

Step 4: Print

Step 5: Paint them part up

Step 6: Assemble all the parts with transparent holders and put it all in a showcase (something like this)

P.S. You could also print up each parts as individual projects and assemble them...

Edited by Axelord FTW

So, I can get pretty much anything printed?

Step 1: Take a whole multi-stage ship

Step 2: Explode with Kronal Vessel Viewer (or offset everything by hand if you are a masochist)

Step 3: Force save (or save if you like leather and chains)

Step 3.5: Do the thing

Step 4: Print

Step 5: Paint them part up

Step 6: Assemble all the parts with transparent holders and put it all in a showcase (something like this)

P.S. You could also print up each parts as individual projects and assemble them...

Um.... yes.... or you can just put it in blender and then export it to a 3d printer-friendly mode. My friend said he can print my shuttle in one piece, I'm working on that right now (as soon as i solve the stupid boolean joins)

EDIT Can we 3-D print a hype train for this?

Not yet, though it should be relatively simple to write a KSP plugin that writes the part names and the directories in the format the program uses.

Understood - so I won't be printing my Mun lander any time soon (the only irreplaceable mod part is a 2.5m procedural fairing base ring right smack in the middle of the craft, kind of hard to get around that =P) But it looks like tons of fun either way.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.