Amphibious Vehicle Build Competition!

The KSC needs you to assist in removing debris from the ocean! We may be able to boil away the ocean if we had enough time and Sunbeam lasers, but loiter time is the enemy!

The obvious answer is a vehicle that can travel on land and propel itself through water at a reasonable speed, while carrying a laser system to the target.

Goal: Build an amphibious vehicle that can travel on land and on water safely, while being able to travel no less than 15 km from the shore!

Requirements:

- At least one Sunbeam laser system, to be used to eliminate floating debris on site. You must be able to operate the laser without many obstructions [rotating the vehicle is allowed!].

- Land and water travel. How you solve this is up to you!

- Range of 15 km or more!

Restrictions: No Gravitsapas or other 'cheat' parts. All entries will be judged as they come. Usage of any mod pack is allowed, as long as it\'s balanced well!

This is possible! I have a prototype ship that is able to drive somewhat safely on land and float in the water -- moving through the water is another thing entirely.

Challenge accepted! This was fun :) I\'m sure it could reach 15km from shore if I had the patience to try...

I apologise for my lame video editing skills...

EDIT: Neglected to say that the standard of driving seen in the video is entirely down to the fact that Jeb had just seen the Top Gear Polar Special, and got rather excited when he found out that it\'s entirely legal to drink and drive in international waters.

It\'s just a shame he opened the bottle of gin before he got behind the wheel...

P.S. Not that I condone drink driving in any way - it just seems fittingly Kerbal :)

Ladies, gentlemen,

I present you...

THE AMPHI-CLEAN 5000!

screenshot49w.png

Combining Tosh\' landing skids and pontoons with the truck from his cart plugin and Damned Robotics and Aerospace, I\'ve managed to create this monstrosity.

screenshot51us.png

Like the truck itself on land, taking it above 30 m/s is ill-advised...

screenshot52a.png

Although the skilled sailor may be able to pull it off...

screenshot53x.png

And we\'re back on land.

screenshot54vt.png

Just the look I was going for thanks :).

Been thinking that my creations have been nowhere near Kerbal enough (I\'m a realism nut), so I\'m hoping this is the first step in the right direction!

Nice work Maikie_G! I think your vehicle looks a bit better engineered than mine :)

Though the water physics in KSP are far from being realistic, it helps to have some sailing experience.

I\'ll see if I can put up a video of my craft in action.

Challenge accepted! This was fun :) I\'m sure it could reach 15km from shore if I had the patience to try...

I couldn\'t stop laughing at this! Yakkety Sax goes with just about anything repetitive. What are those fin-things on the base of the landing skids?

THE AMPHI-CLEAN 5000!

Very nice. I was thinking about picking those up again just to try this challenge again myself. Please, do film this!

I\'m glad you enjoyed it :)

It\'s been a little ambition of mine to one day create a video with that as the soundtrack :D

Those little fins are the canards from sarkun\'s Hope shuttle. I love them, small & compact and they look great on almost any vehicle. Added them to the base of the skids after realising without I had no control whatsoever on the water!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.