KSP 0.90 Complete Printable Science Checklist [Updated 06 Mar 2015]

JAFO

First post here, though I've been a member for a while... I wanted to have something useful to contribute first.

Having searched around all the current science-related spreadsheets and checklists available for KSP, I found there isn't a complete, simple and easy-to-use checklist for tracking what science you've done or haven't done. Sure, there's the in-game Science Archives, but they're not exactly convenient to use mid-mission.

Since I was trying to milk the Mun for all the available science at the time, I made up a spreadsheet checklist I could print out, to keep track of what I had and hadn't done. I've now expanded it for all the planets and moons, as well as Kerbol.

Since many experiments need to be performed twice to get 95% (or so) of the available science, those experiments that need it have space to check them off twice. Each planet/moon gets a sheet to itself (except Kerbin, which needs 4!) and is designed to be printed on a single page for ease of use. Each sheet also has some space for notes, which comes in especially handy for planning science-mop-up missions.

I've found the checklists invaluable when planning multi-biome missions.

[update 3/3/15]

Barometer and Sensor Array added for bodies with atmospheres.

Black blocks replaced with light grey background with cross-hatching.

Column and row dimensions standardised.

Numerous errors and omissions fixed.

[update 6/3/15]

KSC Science Checklist updated

1.0.4 version now released. See this thread for details.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/130697-KSP-1-0-x-Complete-Printable-Stock-Science-Checklists

Capture8_zpsvxmzxkik.png~original

There may be the odd mistake, particularly with the KSC location-biomes and sub-locations, which I haven't fully checked/completed myself, so if anyone spots any, please let me know and I'll correct them ASAP. The layout could perhaps be a little better, but I was somewhat constrained by wanting to rearrange the experiments into the approximate order they're unlocked in.

Although intended to be printed out, if you have a multi-monitor setup it should be fairly easy to use on-screen, marking them off however suits you best. I've saved them in .ods, .xls and .xlsx formats and bundled all 3 formats together as a zip file which can be downloaded here:

https://app.box.com/s/rrb117aiuhubmb4e0fehtx12e9odp57a

Here's an example of an early version in use for Mun science. The notes relate to how I planned an eight biome mop-up expedition using just 3 lander missions.

out_zps88kywlsf.png~original

Edited by JAFO
New version uploaded

Thanks! :D

Almost forgot..

The wiki says Bop has 5 biomes, but lists 6. I suspect that Mara should not be in the list, as it's also listed for Tylo. But, not having gotten that far out yet, I'm not sure. Can someone tell me if Mara is, in fact, an error? If so, I'll delete it from the sheet for Bop and upload a new version.

Great work. In-game archives are nice but it's way too inconvenient to check them up on a mission.

That, unfortunately, is by design. Apparently SQUAD considers that displaying this kind of information in game would break the joy of discovery ( I'm pretty much quoting MaxMaps in one of the Squadcasts ), because it would tell you where you can still get science from ...

Anyway, good job and thanks for sharing it with us, OP :D

This is a great idea, especially for the player who tends be organized. (unlike myself) I was wondering why the barometer and atmospheric analysis nose cone thingy (whatever they call it) were omitted. Was it intentional or were they simply forgotten?

I use something very similar, though I've put Kerbin, Mun and Minmus all on one sheet. I find it a great way to see what science is completed and what is still available. There is enough science in the Kerbin-Mun-Minmus system to complete the tech tree, so I don't bother having a check list for the planets. Once I complete the tech tree, I generally stop charting my science.

Science_check_list.gif

Apparently SQUAD considers that displaying this kind of information in game would break the joy of discovery ( I'm pretty much quoting MaxMaps in one of the Squadcasts ), because it would tell you where you can still get science from ...

All I can do is shake my head and sigh deeply.

That, unfortunately, is by design. Apparently SQUAD considers that displaying this kind of information in game would break the joy of discovery ( I'm pretty much quoting MaxMaps in one of the Squadcasts ), because it would tell you where you can still get science from ...

Anyway, good job and thanks for sharing it with us, OP :D

Perhaps they will ultimately consider to shut down the wiki and forum to preserve the joy of discovery. Oops, add to that the entire internets. Lol.

On topic... A great bit of work pulling this together by the OP. Rep to you fine sir!

This is a great idea, especially for the player who tends be organized. (unlike myself) I was wondering why the barometer and atmospheric analysis nose cone thingy (whatever they call it) were omitted. Was it intentional or were they simply forgotten?

Umm.. k_embarrassed.gif

Definitely an oversight.. dunno how on Kerbin I forgot the barometer.. and the nosecone I haven't used yet..

I'll add those as soon as I get a chance. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

I also see you're a fan of Stardock, no? (or a Linux equivalent now that I see you're using Libre.)

No, not Stardock.. I guess you could say it's a Linux equivalent.. the Steampunk theme is one of the many themes included in Linux Mint's Cinnamon Desktop. (and I use LibreOffice on Windows too.. :wink:)

- - - Updated - - -

For those who prefer things on the cloud, I imported this into Google Drive

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-hiSKfTEBglpdOIT-QZKHkn-yict9Msy2zPYvTb7Uqg/edit?usp=sharing

Thanks.. new version coming up shortly..

Thanks to everyone for the kind words, and rep votes.. much appreciated! :cool:

Edited by JAFO

All I can do is shake my head and sigh deeply.

Perhaps strangely enough… I agree with them. This is really cool, and a great effort on the part of the OP. But some of us won't use it because we actually *do* like that there's not a lot of hand-holding in the game. So, yeah… to each their own. But a great aid from the OP.

Useful idea, the only thing I would suggest is changing the blacked out areas to a very light grey to keep it from sucking up too much ink from the print cartridges.

Yes, I'm that cheap.

Thanks for the suggestion.. I tend not to think of that any more, ever since I fitted a Continuous Ink Supply System to my printer a few months back.. makes printing so cheap it's ridiculous. It's saved me hundreds of dollars compared to ink cartridges already.

Noted for the next update, hopefully tomorrow.

Edited by JAFO

New version uploaded. Download link remains the same, see the OP for details.

Barometer and Sensor Array added for bodies with atmospheres.

Black blocks replaced with light grey background with cross-hatching.

Column and row dimensions standardised.

Numerous errors and omissions fixed.

Hopefully, everything should now be correct. Please notify me if you spot a mistake.

Capture8_zpsvxmzxkik.png~original

Edited by JAFO
New pic added

Good looking stuff.

One thing - you've listed 'Seismometer' and 'Accelerometer'. In game there's the 'Double-C Seismic Accelerometer' (equivalent to your Seismometer) and the 'GRAVMAX Negative Gravioli Detector' (your Accelerometer). While it is obvious (to me, anyway) that that's what these two sections are, it might not be so obvious to newer players, who I think would get a lot of benefit from sheets like these.

Might I suggest 'Gravimeter' or 'Gravioli' replace the 'Accelerometer' heading?

TIL that what I've always referred to as a Gravitometer is correctly called a Gravimeter.

Edited by AlexinTokyo
TIL

Good looking stuff.

One thing - you've listed 'Seismometer' and 'Accelerometer'. In game there's the 'Double-C Seismic Accelerometer' (equivalent to your Seismometer) and the 'GRAVMAX Negative Gravioli Detector' (your Accelerometer). While it is obvious (to me, anyway) that that's what these two sections are, it might not be so obvious to newer players, who I think would get a lot of benefit from sheets like these.

Might I suggest 'Gravimeter' or 'Gravioli' replace the 'Accelerometer' heading?

TIL that what I've always referred to as a Gravitometer is correctly called a Gravimeter.

The G-force meter (the seismometer) in the game is acctually both. It displays the exact G-force, and I use it more often than the Gravioli when checking the gravitational force on a body in KSP, because it gives me the G-force instead of the m/s^2, because I think it's much easier to read it out.

EDIT: Also this is really useful, thanks so much! :)

New version uploaded..

On checking over my KSC science, I discovered a number of things I'd missed, particularly that EVA reports and temperature scans can be performed whilst flying low above the sub-biomes. New columns have been inserted to allow these to be recorded.

• 2 months later...

Hey JAFO,

Have you been able to confirm that you are able to get EVA Reports and Thermometer Readings for Flying Over KSC locations (ie Low Atmosphere for Launchpad)? I've done some reading and it appears those are only "Surface Locations". That is once you're not on the ground (jumping, on a ladder, or actually flying/floating) it defaults to the base biome (in this case shores)

Hi DaGawdfadda,

No, I haven't done any checking, to date. Been so tied up in other projects that I haven't even launched KSP since making the checklists.. if anyone can give me definite info on what locations do/don't "work", I'll happily update things.

Incidentally, checklist downloads are now up over 650, to date. Thanks folks, it's nice to know it's so popular!

• 2 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.