Should I wait... ?

moondogccr

Hello KSP community

I am facing a conundrum and I could use your help!

TL;DR: Should I wait for version 1.0 or go back to KSP now?

After some consideration, youtube videos some game articles/early reviews, I started playing KSP back in April and immediately loved it. I probably have played about 104 hours (maybe not hardcore, but I typically don't play a game beyond 70/80 hours total). I had a lot of fun, landed a Kerbal on the Mun and back, sent a bunch of science probes, used a few mods (SCANsat is awesome), etc.

I kept reading about all the goodies to come and future improvements and decided to stop playing for a while. The reason is that I typically invest my heart and soul, and attempt to play to game as intended and really enjoy the experience once; but I dont want to miss out on all the 1.0v features. Maybe some of you are in a similar place...

I havent played KSP after the destructible buildings update (did a bit of the career mode), but havent played since August.

What do you think, is it worth going back now or wait? Thanks!

There's always something to do... I got bored with my first career, so I started a second one in hard mode, then I started another with the BTSM mod. The game is totally different for me each time depending which save game I load. I just started playing in December and I'm pretty much hooked. I say jump back on that horse!

And why not contributing actively in the the modding section for example, and discover some new things of interest to do while doing so. You might be surprised, just a hint ; ).

Edited by WinkAllKerb''

In my opinion, it would be beneficial if you were to basically refresh yourself before the update comes out. Make sure you can do everything right now so you can try and adapt as you figure out the new changes to the system that are a-comin'. That's what I'm keeping up on, too!

If you haven't played the current .90 release, the upgradeable / destructible buildings, and the new set of contracts from the "Fine Print" mod added to the "stock" experience, add some good mission variety to career mode. The limitations of parts count, size, and weight imposed by the early levels of the KSC buildings - make you think and get creative about rocket or space plane designs.

While there is "more to do" in .90 compared to previous versions, the 1.0 update promises "even more" - including a change to the flight experience, making nose cones work, due to changed drag effects, in a way that will slow down some current craft designs. 1.0 seems like it is making progress, but it's not close yet. Chances are that you could have a good amount of time to 'unwind' after you are done with .90, before 1.0 hits.

Personally, I'm waiting. But I also just bought Elite: Dangerous, so I may be biased. I want to build more planes and bigger planes but I decided the Mk 3 was just insufficient without wings and I didn't want to strip them out of B9.

Hello KSP community

I am facing a conundrum and I could use your help!

TL;DR: Should I wait for version 1.0 or go back to KSP now?

After some consideration, youtube videos some game articles/early reviews, I started playing KSP back in April and immediately loved it. I probably have played about 104 hours (maybe not hardcore, but I typically don't play a game beyond 70/80 hours total). I had a lot of fun, landed a Kerbal on the Mun and back, sent a bunch of science probes, used a few mods (SCANsat is awesome), etc.

I kept reading about all the goodies to come and future improvements and decided to stop playing for a while. The reason is that I typically invest my heart and soul, and attempt to play to game as intended and really enjoy the experience once; but I dont want to miss out on all the 1.0v features. Maybe some of you are in a similar place...

I havent played KSP after the destructible buildings update (did a bit of the career mode), but havent played since August.

What do you think, is it worth going back now or wait? Thanks!

Moondog, welcome aboard first of all! I do hope you'll become an active and enthusiastic member of our community!

KSP is, in my honest opinion, something that you can never play to exhaustion, and never has just one "right" way to play it (kind of like Minecraft- but much, much better). That was always part of the design-philosophy behind KSP, and something SQUAD should be and rightfully is proud of...

KSP plays best with mods- when you get tired of spaceships, give submarines or airships a try for a little while, for instance (there are actually some rather excellent mods that allow both of those- linked in the text!) Or, when you want to try a more challenging experience, give Real Solar System and a more realistically-sized planet a try along with the RealFuels mod: it's so different it's almost like a different game. If you want to try near-term "hard" science-fiction gameplay, then the KSP-Interstellar Extended mod (which I help develop) is always a great place to start- there's nothing like building a Propulsive Fluid Accumulator in Low Kerbin (or Earth) orbit or taking an Alcubierre Drive to another star system (with another mod that adds a second star system!) And, of course, if you're more into "soft" science-fiction, there are mods that even add in the Starship Enterprise and working lasers!

Regards,

Northstar

Edited by Northstar1989

• 2 weeks later...

There's always something to do in KSP. Jump in and have some fun. KSP is one of the most awesome open-world games around in that there's never an end, even with career mode.

Fling a Kerbal at Kerbol, just to see what happens. Try and give Kerbin an asteroid belt (for fun and profit?). Set and break some land and air speed records.

Find a mod or two and you'll be amazed how much the game changes.

Besides...."waiting for 1.0" is a bit of an open-ended timeline :)

Moondog, welcome aboard first of all! I do hope you'll become an active and enthusiastic member of our community!

--snip--

KSP is, in my honest opinion, something that you can never play to exhaustion, and never has just one "right" way to play it (kind of like Minecraft- but much, much better). --snip--

those are kind of just what I play. minecraft and ksp. they just don't stup producing new things.

[TABLE=width: 500]

[TR]

[TD]minecraft things to do

[/TD]

[TD]ksp things to do

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]survival

[/TD]

[TD]make a new career

[/TD]