White Owl's video series discussion thread

White Owl

Wish I could do Let\'s Fly videos ... I\'ve been told that my voice sounds too much like a newscaster though, and I\'d have a 4-year old screaming in the background during the entire video capture :D

Having a good voice is very important when doing let\'s plays, and I\'d say sounding like a newscaster is a good thing in that respect. If there\'s something I can\'t stand it\'s videos made by pre-pubescent boys. Even if they\'re interesting and the guys have something insightful to say, the squealing is just too grating a sound for me to be able to watch their videos.

Also, it\'s never too early to introduce a kid to videogames, you know. Do a series 'Me and My 4-Year Old Fly Kerbal Space Program'! ;)

LOL ... I\'ve already introduced him to the joys of Minecraft, and he\'s learned well on the iPad version. I think another year will be his prime for something like KSP, maybe even sooner. I already have a computer ready for him and it, just got to get it formatted and ready.

May do some Let\'s Fly in the near future. My insane landing probes are ... interesting, to say the least. Not to mention very Kerbal.

Hmm, if I could get him to talk into the mic, that 'Me and My 4-year old playing KSP' could be interesting. Will have to work on it!

Some of his favorite Youtube Minecraft videos feature father\'s and their kids playing the Minecraft Yog Olympics. Will have to think on this!

(Sorry to hijack, White Owl! Now back on topic!)

For one of your future videos, I\'d like to see you land a truely massive Munolith Reconnaissance Base near one of the Munoliths, using your space plane/rocket designs.

And I hereby request, that two of your Kerbonauts on such an endeavor be named Shawen Kerman and Aydan Kerman (the latter of which is my son\'s name ... he\'ll get a kick out of that ... unless he \'splodes ... hmmm, will have to prep him for that :D. The former is a Kerbal play on my real name).

*Edit* Never post when you\'re exhausted bleh!

Did you add the Mum mapper or the Mun rover? I dont see it.

The latest episode was pretty interesting my only concern is that when you are messing with the Mum mapper, the Mun rover would slingshot. And rockets aren\'t easy! >:( You just got lucky on the first try... thats all... (remembering none of my rockets work the first time around :( Oh well, at least I see some preety fireworks :)).

Did you add the Mum mapper or the Mun rover? I dont see it.

I wasn\'t planning on uploading every vehicle seen in the vids, but will attach a craft file if it\'s requested, with one small restriction: I don\'t want to give out craft files until that vehicle\'s role in the series is done, for better or worse. I want to find out the flaws of these things on my own.

I would love to see a GRUNT that launched that massive egg-shaped pod of rover to the moon.

Also, you rock. Jus\' sayin. Though I have had the game since .85, I never really realized what was possible until i watched your videos and saw all the craziness.

Well, since atmospheric engines stall much faster than you think (I think they are useless before you reach your 35km mark), you\'re going to need to build a GRUNT design completely from scratch. Maybe use SRBs when your atmo engines stall, and get rid of them then GRUNT would do an unpowered landing?

Also, you rock. Jus\' sayin. Though I have had the game since .85, I never really realized what was possible until i watched your videos and saw all the craziness.

Seconded. I keep watching, because you do things I hadn\'t even thought of trying.

Oh. Oh. Oh. How about a quick expo of the Wacky Wooden Parts mod? I suspect you\'d have fun with that one. It\'s planks, junk, and barrels full of booze. It\'s unbalanced. It\'s explodey. It\'s lacking duct tape. It\'s very Kerbal. I don\'t bother with many mods, but I had to play around with that one.

No videos today? :(

You know what? I think I\'ll break with tradition and actually respond to this spam. Just \'cause I\'m in a kind of silly mood.

I have raw material recorded for one more episode of KSP and one more of SH4. Yesterday I made one pass at editing the KSP episode, and wasn\'t entirely happy with it; still thinking about ways to cut a few more minutes out and still tell the story of what\'s happening. Last night I tried a new method of encoding the video because I\'m still trying to figure out why AVS Video Editor sometimes crashes... the new method didn\'t work. No crashes, but the final vid has unacceptable glitches. So right now I\'m about to try re-editing the episode and encode it the old way.

Note that I\'m absolutely not promising or even hinting at any kind of ETA for a finished product to be uploaded.

Really, the attention is flattering, and I did start making gameplay videos because I want people to watch and like them... but please recall this is a hobby for me. Not a profession. Some days I plain don\'t feel like working on a video, so I do something else instead.

oh sorry. I somehow thought that KSP videos came out every 2 days.

The last video had me pretty confuzzled. Why were you doing a polar orbit? Does it have a specific advantage over a equatorial orbit?

Ah! Great question.

Finding a munolith is only one mission goal. I also want to map the entire surface of the mun with the mapper plugin. Polar orbits are good for mapping and searching, because a polar orbit will eventually take the satellite over every point on the globe. It\'ll take many many orbits, but I\'ll get the whole thing mapped.

Last video was very fun, esp with the 'mishap' that took place :) I kept staring at your staging and thinking: 'Something\'s not right there.'

I\'m also enjoying (OT) you\'re Silent Hunter 4 series. Because of that, I purchased it tonight on Steam, and recommended it to my brother (along with a link to your videos), because he likes stuff like that. I\'m so caught up with the series now, that I\'m waiting in anticipation for the next installment, just as I am with the KSP videos! Can\'t get enough of them!

hi umm yes i got the c7 and kw and the exploding bulchead bolts but what els is needed becuse as i try to open oxcart 8 it dose work is there an mod that u havent told us

From what I can tell, OXCART 8 needs the C7 flight pack, the C7 experimental, and the KW pack. You may only have one of the two C7 packs.

Wait a minute...... why is the square beneath you blue *DING*

OMG volunteer test subject? congratulations? does this mean you would release videos with the experimentals? I guess not, since I don\'t think its allowed.... but does this mean that you are going to teach us how to use the Space plane hangar when .15 comes out? I would (and I imagine a lot of people) like a tutorial :).

does this mean you would release videos with the experimentals?

Absolutely not. Not even if it were allowed under the experimental team rules. I can imagine many ways that could go horribly wrong, and very few ways it might go right. Ain\'t going to do it.

but does this mean that you are going to teach us how to use the Space plane hangar when .15 comes out? I would (and I imagine a lot of people) like a tutorial :).

I want to redo the airplane tutorials to address all the new features, yes. But probably not immediately after .15 releases; I strongly suspect further significant changes would too quickly make the videos out of date again. I\'ll wait until the Hangar and airplanes appear to be kind of stabilized, and development shifted to other features for a while.

• 2 weeks later...

I think you should wait until space planes are fixed until you launch any more space planes. I\'ve only managed to make one that kinda works but it still wants to kill its crew half the time (PM me if you want it). I would hate to see any more kerbals die on their first flights. But if you do persist maybe include some kind of ejection system into the space plane... maybe then we\'ll get some kerbals home with some flight history.

Oh and I can\'t wait for your next patrol in silent hunter. :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.