Evel Kerbievel's Minmus Rover Jump-Off Challenge--NOW WITH "UNLIMITED" CLASS!

Finally, the OP makes a jump. Nowhere near 1km, but credible:

mvjKjSV.png

...of course I stripped off the rocket motors first, and replaced them with brake lights. 428.8 for me!

ETA: Better steering second run! 638.6!

Kgl13va.png

Edited by Mister Dilsby

One more go from me...first touchdown at 557km!

NTIwE1l.png

6WPeTQm.jpg

ZEtnVQy.png

At the first touchdown...

3C16XUg.png

I might have bent a rule just the tiniest ickle bit. But I can assure you that the rover started from a standstill and was exactly as you see in the shots above, unattached to any other parts, vehicle or structure. It had no engines or fuel of any kind attached and I used no physics exploits or non-stock parts. Right from the start of its run it did not gain or lose a single part and no other part touched it to act on it. It sped towards the ramp and took off from it. At which point it was travelling at about 200m/s. The ramp did not move or add anything to the flight other than by being a ramp. Anyone can build this and get the same results.

Do I win a coconut?

==========

Update

==========

He hadn't landed and come to a stop when I wrote the above. This is after the first bounce. He is now passing the launch site after circumnavigating Minmus. Still in one piece...

BPTWVeW.png

wJ09XX8.jpg

=======

Another update

=======

Still going after the second bounce. My Kerbalnaut got cocky and carried out wheel repairs at 1058m from the surface. He was a tad disappointed to see the tailpiece had snapped off.

GqzSxuX.jpg

And after about 10 bounces he's down!

Hr7QasW.jpg

Edited by Foxster

One more go from me...557km!

http://i.imgur.com/NTIwE1l.png

http://i.imgur.com/6WPeTQm.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/ZEtnVQy.png

http://i.imgur.com/3C16XUg.png

I might have bent a rule just the tiniest ickle bit. But I can assure you that the rover started from a standstill and was exactly as you see in the shots above, unattached to any other parts, vehicle or structure. It had no engines or fuel of any kind attached and I used no physics exploits or non-stock parts. Right from the start of its run it did not gain or lose a single part and no other part touched it to act on it. It sped towards the ramp and took off from it. At which point it was travelling at about 200m/s. The ramp did not move or add anything to the flight other than by being a ramp. Anyone can build this and get the same results.

Do I win a coconut?

==========

Update

==========

He hadn't landed when I wrote the above. Here he is passing the launch site after the first bounce at 557km, still in one piece...

http://i.imgur.com/BPTWVeW.png

http://i.imgur.com/wJ09XX8.jpg

What the... you must have glitched *something* out!

I is very confused.

EDIT:

Oh, I see. That's a mostly physicsless rover. :P

What the... you must have glitched *something* out!

I is very confused.

EDIT:

Oh, I see. That's a mostly physicsless rover. :P

Umm, nope and nope. Its definitely not a glitch. There are massless parts (but it weighs a total of 0.424t) but that's not the secret.

Umm, nope and nope. Its definitely not a glitch. There are massless parts (but it weighs a total of 0.424t) but that's not the secret.

Wow! You've found some sort of (hopefully legal) exploit and I LOVE that you're making us guess. OK, so which rule did Foxster "bend"? I'm guessing it must have something to do with that tailpiece. There's nothing on that rover that doesn't need to be there--though I can't imagine what the tailpiece did, it could not have impacted anything useful at 200 m/s and survived.

Foxster, is that the ONLY ramp? Wondering if you might have jumped to high terrain and accelerated downhill before hitting the 'real' ramp.

Will update leaderboard, but this extreme performance (and your coconut!) are contingent on a full review : D

I'd say that's the only way. He did mention he bent a rule.

Anyhow, for such a ridiculous speed, I'd say we need more evidence before making it an official entry. :wink:

I'm not going to claim it as an official entry. The crown remains with the previous wearer :D.

I'll show you how it was done when I've made a cup of tea :wink:.

But I will tell you that I tried completely cheating by putting an engine on the vehicle and I couldn't get it to work - it fell apart or crashed before I could get it up to speed. I may possibly have found the only way to get a rover up to this speed on the surface.

- - - Updated - - -

Foxster, is that the ONLY ramp? Wondering if you might have jumped to high terrain and accelerated downhill before hitting the 'real' ramp.
Ah. Nope. Started from level ice.

*Off to put the kettle on*

Argggghhhhh! The suspense! Well, once Foxster has his cuppa and comes clean, if his entry is truly a DQ under the original rules, maybe I'll make it #1 in a new "open" category (full rules TBD, but there will still be no non-renewable energy sources)

- - - Updated - - -

Was... was the ramp a loop?

Oh. OH. I've given myself a great idea :D

Don't know if it'll work, but should make for some good footage.

I had that idea myself after seeing video of a dirt bike inside a spherical cage. Good luck building that, I want to see it! And there's nothing I can think of about a looped ramp that would be a DQ.

BWAHAHAAAAAAA! Ah, no. Mass driver is definitely a DQ. Awesome, but yeah that's not an official entry. Updating the leaderboard to return you to 1003m

...I KNEW that plate on the tail had something to do with it! :D

Yea, figured that would be the case.

The rule I bent (or rather snapped into tiny bits and peed on) was:

• No sources of propulsion other than electrically driven rover wheels.

In a way the vehicle that I made my run with didn't have any other source of propulsion itself. Kinda. Maybe. Sorta. Eh eh.

- - - Updated - - -

If anyone wants to play or have a go at hitting escape velocity, here's the craft file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/hdjxo3q283253x6/FourKing%20Big%20Blower%201.craft?dl=0

If I can hit 40 m/s on takeoff, I should be able to exceed 3,000 meters. :) Would it be legal for the rover to have a plane landing gear on it, if it can be powered by the electric wheels as well? I may make something really crazy.

*goes to scribble on a blackboard*

(BTW, 39.33 m/s is 88 mph... :D)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.