Solar eclipse

Hcube

I live just Southwest of London and sadly the weather forecast of heavy cloud cover was accurate. Was interesting noting light levels dip, though hard to tell how much was astronomical and how much was meteorological...

We had an almost cloudless sky at my place and around 56% of maximum eclipse. I've taken more than 70 photos so now I have to sift through it. Most of them are crap so it's gonna take a while...

Dip in insolation was quite noticeable, although not near 1999 when we had like 95% or so and day turned eerily dark.

I hope none of you watched the Sun using useless filters. Perhaps all these clouds over a great deal of Europe saved lots of people's eyes. There was more people informed about an eclipse than ever in the history of the world and that means more stupid cases for ophtalmologists...

It's cool how much fascination there is regarding the 2015 Solar eclipse. :)

Here in Nordic mountains the weather has been pretty clear the last days, except from today it had to get cloudy with some snow fall. Fortunately I was blessed with the clouds cracking up just where the eclipse was occurring for some mediocre imagery:

Z0NigAy.png

I also pieced together some photos for this kinda awkward animation:

qwuRQtb.gif

Because I lacked the proper screening, I could unfortunately never directly behold the beauty of the eclipse myself. I had also hoped to be able using my binoculars for a greater image magnification, but the eclipse didn't occur within my balcony view while as the improvised binocular mount wasn't precisely a portable solution.

It was pretty decent up here in Liverpool. We had 90% of the sun obscured. Our lecturer decided to let us out of our chemistry session about 15 minutes early to go and look at it, and we were all just looking out the windows before then watching things get dimmer. The university square was pretty busy, needless to say, and there were a couple of folks on top of what I believe is the Maths building who probably had the best view, but the view that my friends and I had was just fine.

rN9sKnfl.jpg

I'm surprised my phone camera got as good a picture as it did. Roughly 9:30am and the clouds were just right (somehow the UK got clouds right for once) to allow us to look directly at it for a few seconds at a time and take pictures. Risky business, looking directly at it, but as I said, I avoided angering the Sun God by only looking for a second or two when the clouds enabled it.

9/10 Would nearly scorch my retinas and listen to one of my friend's minds being blown again :P

For once I had something worth getting up early for! We got good views from Birmingham despite some thin cloud, pictures to upload later :)

It was hard to notice much difference in brightness, it seemed like it might have been a bit dimmer but the effects of the clouds confounded that of the eclipse. Also our eyes are excellent at adapting to different light levels. Indoor lighting might be around 50-100 lux, whereas full sunlight could be 50-100 thousand lux. So even with sunlight reduced to 10% of normal it's still not a big difference in the grand scheme of things.

Nice pics, guys. We had a total (annular) with my house right in the middle of the path a couple years ago. It was pretty cool.

Did any of you notice the shadows and dappled light on the ground?

I was at work, but luckily break was very near maximum, when about 70% of the Sun was eclipsed. Very cool view :) Despite clear sky light was very pale, shadows lost their sharpness and drop in temperature was significant. After seeing such change, it's easier to understand why our ancestors feared the eclipses so much.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.