Dukes of Duna - 4K rover speedrun challenge!

16lbfjb.jpg

EDIT: Leaderboard at the bottom of this post.

Hello guys, I have a rover building contest for you. I checked to make sure it hasn't been done recently, and i can't find a similar challenge in the last 3 pages of the challenge forum, so i think i'm in the clear.

So when i started writing this it was actually a beauty contest for the best looking Duna rover, but it slowly developed into an outright speed challenge. So here it is...

The Challenge

Let's see whos the fastest on the red planet!

Bring your hotrod out to Duna and let's have it out on the sand strip!

Build a rover capable of covering 2000 meters and back in the shortest time

How do we do this

0)Go to Duna.

1)Plant a flag. This is your starting point.

2)Begin the run from a full stop.

3)Reach 2000 meter distance from the first flag, come to a full stop.

5)Plant another flag.

6)Turn around and drive back to the first flag.

7)Cross the finish line. Have a glass of milk.

How do we measure it chronologically (edited to be more user friendly)

Take a gander at the top left corner. Your mission clock is your stopwatch.

Keep record of the time you depart from the first flag, and when you return to that same flag. Subtract the two and you have your run time.

Using screenshots will help.

If you want to keep record of your checkpoint (aka the 2000 meter flag), consider your time once the Kerbal reenters the vehicle from the EVA (from planting the flag). EVA time is reset, so it wouldn't match the vehicle time.

Quicksaves during the run are not allowed.

You can't quicksave & quickload at any point between the beginning and the end of the run. Of course, you can restart the run as many times as you wish. Don't forget to restart your stopwatch.

We're doing this by the honor system, but ridiculously fast times will be questioned and may require proof in the form of craft file

...or better yet, if you'd like, make a youtube video of it!

Requirements

-Must be done on the surface of Duna.

-Must carry at least 2 kerbals. You can bring more for bragging rights, but only 2 are required to survive...muahahah.

-Kerbals must be seated on the the external command seat. No command pods! At least not with kerbals in them.

-Your vehicle must be operational after the run. It can take as much damage that it's able to sustain, but must still be driveable afterwards.

By operational, i mean it can move forward/back and steer. You don't have to finish with the same amount of wheels you started =D

-Must be able to to SCIENZE! The more variety you load on it, the cooler your machine will be, but hey, at the very least have one goo canister.

-No limitation on the number of wheels...but it HAS to have wheels!

-You can use rocket engines, but your vehicle must still be capable of moving under its own power after your fuel has depleted.

Feel free to use decouplers to shed weight, if you're brilliant enough...i'm not...

-RCS thrusters and reaction wheels are ok to use, just make sure your vehicle does not depend on these in order to operate.

-The vehicle must complete the journey on ground. Hopping around from one dune to another is ok, due to the low gravity, but you can't just all-out hover across the 2000 meters.

Big air = ok; hovering across = not ok.

Limitations

-no cheats/debug/etc...duh!

-STOCK parts only

-No part or physics altering mods

-Information or graphic mods are ok

-No parts or size limitation. Can be as small or as big as you want.

Winning

charlie-sheen-winning.png

There are no winners here, only lo...

...just kidding!

I will edit this post to include your fastest time and your name.

In order to be included, your vehicle must meet the above listed requirements.

If your vehicle is good looking enough, it will get an honorable mention, even if your time sucks!...er...i mean...even if your time isn't as "well seasoned" as others...

Submitting

Please include at least 3 pictures:

1 showcasing your vehicle on Duna at the starting line (first flag).

1 showing your vehicle at the checkpoint (2000 meters) with the first flag and its distance visible in the back.

1 showing your vehicle at the finish line (the first flag), with the second flag and its distance visible.

Any other picture that you deem interesting enough to share.

If your vehicle completes the run in a ridiculously damaged but still functional state, a picture of that would be fun, too.

A short description of your vehicle and its features.

If you'd like, share anything interesting that happened, like your vehicle doing a couple of crazy corkscrews and landing right side up during your best run...things like that.

Don't forget to post your time.

You are invited to share the craft file of your creations, but not required. I definitely would like to get them. I'll probably make a car lot or something and put one of each in there =)

If you want to make a youtube video of your run, you are certainly welcome to do so! I'd even be curious to see how you fellows bring your hotrod to the red planet.

--------------------------------

If you have any questions, please let me know.

Thank you for participating and have fun.

May the fastest man win!

bebked.jpg

Ok so there's the challenge, and here's my submission:

This is the Duna Buggy (get it?? I'm so original...)

14n1js1.jpg

It's equipped with all the science sensors available, with the exception of the Science Jr. module. Actually it had one of those too, but it was exploding every time i went over a small hill, so i removed it.

It has mono-propellant powered turbo boost and a reaction wheel for stability.

The buggy pictured here is a previous version with no reaction wheel, but i could hardly sustain speeds over 18m/s without it. I decided to put one in and now i can comfortably cruise at 40m/s over Duna's hills.

I usually use antennas on my buggies for that "remote control car" appearance, but i decided to go with a new look for this one. Not a bad look for transmitting data.

246l209.jpg

It's go time!

2vactp4.jpg

Here she is at the starting line. The buggy in the back is an older version i landed in this area previously. There's nothing particular about this location: i just ended up orbiting over it and decided to land near the old buggy.

i4odmr.jpg

And we're on our way!

2ewlhn9.jpg

First checkpoint! I reached a peak speed of 40m/s and had to brake slowly, so i overshot just a tad.

mlgsqs.jpg

And across the line! It took me a little longer to drive back since i had to turn the car around. Also, i drove a little slower to be safe.

f9nus6.jpg

b9ei3d.jpg

MY TIME: 3 minutes, 14 seconds.

TIME TO 2K CHECKPOINT: 1 minute 31 seconds

TIME FROM 2K CHECKPOINT TO FINISH LINE: 1 minute 43 seconds

These checkpoint times aren't necessary, but i took them just for fun. If you like, you can do the same. I took the first checkpoint time right after i planted the flag, but before turning my car around.

Download link for the Duna Buggy

Well, this was a long post, even for me...

Anyway, hoping to see some submissions.

Good luck!

podium.png

LEADERBOARD

--- Name ----------- Time ----- Additional notes

1. War_Lord_Kevin --- 1:08 ----- Video available. Impressively streamlined run. No mistakes or time wasted in EVA.

2. Juzeris ------------ 1:17 ----- 10 Kerbals on board!

3. Vaporo ------------ 1:32 ----- Very unique looking machine.

4. ShadowZone ------ 3:04 ----- Video available with some great outtakes.

5. Hobbes ----------- 3:14 ----- <---me

6. Kuzzter ----------- 3:24 ----- Driving the General Lee! =)

Edited by hobbez
leaderboard!

Hilarious. I have some ideas for a car, which I'll contemplate as I listen to the sweet sounds of Waylon Kerman's theme song:

Just some good ol' Kerbs

Never meaning' no harm

Beats all you ever seen

Been abusin' delta vee

Since the day they was spawned

Gettin to spaaaaaaaace

The only way they know how

That's just a little bit more

Than the mods'll allow

Clippin' some parts

Adding some struts

Someday the Kraken might get em'

But the mods never will.

Start your stopwatch as soon as you take off from the first flag and stop it when you return to that same flag.

Take your time as you see fit. I'm using my phone. Try to be accurate, but don't sweat it if you're off by a second or so. This is meant to be fun.

Looks like a nice, fun challenge, Hobbez! Just a thought about your method of timing, though - if you're using a stopwatch, the timer will be in real time, but the game may very well slow time down on an older machine. Can I recommend that challengers instead time the mission in some way based on the in-game clock? They could perhaps record the time they start driving and then record the time when they pass the finish line.

Looks like a nice, fun challenge, Hobbez! Just a thought about your method of timing, though - if you're using a stopwatch, the timer will be in real time, but the game may very well slow time down on an older machine. Can I recommend that challengers instead time the mission in some way based on the in-game clock? They could perhaps record the time they start driving and then record the time when they pass the finish line.

I hadn't really thought about machines slowing down, but that's a good point.

If you know of a way to reset the mission clock, that would be cool.

I guess we can change the timekeeping rule to be based on the mission clock. We can use screenshots to determine starting time (when you leave the first flag) and finishing time (when you return to the first flag)

If you plan to keep count of your checkpoint time (when you place the second flag), keep in mind that the Kerbal on EVA has a reset mission clock, so the time will have to be taken upon his reentry in the vehicle.

Also, can we hyperedit? I'm sure Uncle Jebby can get this thing to Duna somehow, but that would be the boring part...

Unless others object to this, i suppose that's fine, on the condition that it's actually feasible to lift your vehicle off Kerbin and land it on Duna. Looking at your car, i think you won't have issues with that.

This precaution is mainly to avoid some sort of horizontal "Kerbin-to-Jool sized rocket on wheels" that can't be transfered to the surface unless you've got Scott Manleyness.

I don't know anything about hyperedit, so obviously just keep your parts and physics legit. Personally, i enjoy the challenge of transferring stuff to other planets.

Speaking of transferring stuff, i'm designing a garage to carry over to Duna. I've never designed a building before on KSP, and it's actually pretty fun. I just have to figure out how to move this massive piece of shi...metal off the ground.

The finished version will be bigger, hoping to include other contestant's designs.

fz966d.jpg

I'm glad to see people interested in this challenge.

You could use mediafire or dropbox to upload the .craft file. Your buggy looks neat, I'd like it

[spoiler: Will this be enough?]

Oh my...are you Deuthserious? :D Sorry for the terrible pun. Couldn't help my self.

That's gonna be fast alright. Good luck slowing down!=P

As long as you don't take a 2K meter arched jump with it (aka acting like a rocket...), then you're good to go!

And thank you for the upload suggestion and buggy compliment. I will upload momentarily.

Edited by hobbez

niiiiice.

Thanks! OK, I think it's done--will try the run later...

ZsT4yLj.png

The KERBAL LEE! Specs:

Manufacturer/Model: Y69 Dodgomax Charge-Up

Main Power: 4x NUC isotope generators

Boost Power: 2x Rockomax 48-7s

Steering: Front Wheels Only

Brakes: 2x Mk16 parachutes, reloadable

Science: 2x Mystery Goo containers (filled with Munshine), Kebizen's Band (K.B.) low frequency radio transmitter.

Doors: Welded shut, entry through window

I don't expect to get a great time with it, but I expect to HAVE a great time with it.

Edited by Mister Dilsby

I'm SO doing this challenge...

WrMSZrh.png

Rover on the left is the one I'm using now, the one on the right didn't have Science!! to do. :(

I was a little hasty. :wink:

EDIT:

Apparently I'm still hasty. TWO kerbals. :P

EDIT2:

Hanfurt and Mituki are ready to roll! :D

FqPy9yF.png

Edited by Starwhip

Ha haaaa, I DID IT!

Time to turn (passed checkpoint by >300m): 1:18

Time to finish: 3:24

I could probably do a bit better with proper steering, but this was hilarious. I wish I had video software installed!

Great car and great pictures! Thanks for doing this, man! :P

I'm going to sound a bit like a party pooper for a sec, and i apologize in advance for that:

I couldn't help but notice you placed the 2k marker before the start of the run, but the idea was to place down the 2k marker flag once you got there during the run.

It sounds pointless, but i made it so for a few reasons, most notably because it forces racers to come to a full stop at the checkpoint and get their smelly kerbal out on his feet!

also:

-Makes it more interesting during the first 2000 meter run since you have to constantly be aware of your starting point and how fast you're going.

-Spares the contestants from unnecessarily driving an extra untimed 2000 meters.

-To see just how fast you are at unloading kerbals, planting flags, and getting them back in. In my case, it added a good 8-9 seconds to my final time.

-Braking is an important part of vehicle construction! I learned that the hard way when our old Camry lost pressure in the brakes =( Good thing i'm an ex F1 driver!

By the way, you don't have to use wheel brakes to slow down if you don't want to. If you can manage to rocket yourself to a full stop and not dismantle your car in the process, by all means do so. =)

I'm still including your time, of course. From the looks of one of your pictures, you've likely come to a complete stop (7.8m/s at the checkpoint).

You're always welcome to run again and improve your time. =) I know i will at some point.

Starwhip: Looking forward to your run time!

Also, would either of you guys like to share your craft file? I wouldn't mind giving your cars a drive around the block.

Edited by hobbez

I couldn't help but notice you placed the 2k marker before the start of the run, but the idea was to place down the 2k marker flag once you got there during the run.

Whoops! You're right of course, I misread the rules. Actually I can't say that the boys really did come to a full and complete stop after passing the 2000m flag, other than the fact that since they reversed direction their velocity at some point had to equal zero. I can't recall if I ever applied the brakes: I had lit the rockets in the air and turned the car around on its gyros. The rear bumper hit ground destroying the driver-side engine, so if velocity was zero at any point it was there. (Too much going on to spare a finger for F1 at those instants, sorry!)

If after this full disclosure you think I still met the spirit of the challenge, thank you, but maybe my time should carry an * until I do the run according to the letter of the rules. The Kerb boys might be lawbreakers, but we ain't no cheaters.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, would either of you guys like to share your craft file? I wouldn't mind giving your cars a drive around the block.

Of course, I just need to set up a share service.

I know you said no physics altering mods, but would it be ok to use Time Control to slow down time so I can react faster?

Also, do you have to come to a complete stop when you cross the final finish line? Or is it ok if you happened to cross in a high-speed ball of fiery explosions and only came to a complete stop 20 seconds later? Also, is it ok if the vehicle is only drivable after you repair the wheels?

And why are you giving me those looks? I'm sure you've done worse.

Edited by Vaporo

I did it! Final time of 1:32. Here's the craft download if you want to confirm:

http://www./download/wc4pmb0w8kc3r3q/Duna+Racifier.craft

Action groups:

1- Activate upward-facing engines

2- Toggle forward engines

3- Toggle reverse engines

The rover is extremely durable, with a collision tolerance of 80 m/s on most of the external parts, and can carry 2 Kerbals. One for going forward, one for going backwards. It uses plane wheels for moving under rocket power, so it doesn't break the rover wheels. On plane wheels, it has a maximum speed of about 90 m/s, above which you are liable to crash and die. Otherwise, it has to retract the plane wheels and use the rover wheels to move.

I used Action Groups Extended during the run, so I didn't have to keep going back to the SPH every time I wanted to change my action groups, and the rover had a MechJeb pod. The craft download should be completely stock, though.

It took probably fifty tries before I got it right. I tumble, crashed, exploded, and died countless times. Something I learned: you *have* to be sure you aren't using those downward-facing rockets when you don't need them. Otherwise you run out of fuel and explode in the the last half-kilometer. And beware of speeds above 80 m/s. If you crash above 80, there's no recovering. I also tried to minimize my time spent planting the flag by planting it right in front of the seat. I can drive right over top of it without breaking it, and time when I'm not moving is time wasted.

Album:

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by Vaporo

Nice run Vaporo! Yeah, not turning around definitely speeds things up. I'd considered driving the Kerbal Lee backwards for the first 2k then firing rockets to go back (or put rockets on the front bumper too... or make a ship that isn't 10t of inert metal...or at least enable steering on the rear wheels..,) but didn't like the visuals. :)

impressive! good job.

To answer some of the questions for future submitters:

I know you said no physics altering mods, but would it be ok to use Time Control to slow down time so I can react faster?

No, sorry, no time altering mods. Part of the challenge is control of the craft under completely stock conditions.

Also, do you have to come to a complete stop when you cross the final finish line? Or is it ok if you happened to cross in a high-speed ball of fiery explosions and only came to a complete stop 20 seconds later? Also, is it ok if the vehicle is only drivable after you repair the wheels?

Absolutely. You only need to stop for the first 2k checkpoint, to plant the flag. If you cross the finish line at a trillion m/s but still manage to bring it down to a full stop at some point and still have a drivable vehicle, that's fine. Even if you blew up your tires, as long as their repairable.

And why are you giving me those looks?

Because of your Lord Helmet avatar...i love it.

Also, Spaceballs: The Signature? hahahaha

1:32 is an impressively fast time. I'm going to try and lower mine, but i don't think i can accomplish anything near that with my current design.

I just hope someone out there takes up the challenge and gives you a run for your money =D You definitely need a rival!

Starwhip, any news on your run?

Edited by hobbez

Another challenger. An ugly, cheaty (sports suspension aka landing gears) lightweight with rocket boosters, but did it in about 1:17 if my math is correct, with 10 Kerbals and a goo canister on board.

Lost control a bit in the end, but I'm pretty sure I hit about 140m/s still on the ground before realizing I'll hit the ride back and in the panic forgetting to take a proper printscreen of crossing the finish line. The first printscreen after the crash puts the time at 1:17 (from 13:30 to 14:47). Watch the shadow if it's hard to determine if the craft is still on the ground. :)

No mods (used MechJeb to ship it to Duna).

Craft download (together with the rocket I used to ship it to Duna, feel free to take it off :) )

Javascript is disabled. View full album

man, these are designs are even better than i would have imagined.

Shadow, love the machine and the outakes, especially the 3 wheeled one. What software do use use to record the game? Ever since i got windows 8.1, i can't get fraps to work =(

Juzeris, 10 kerbals AND a fast time? couldn't you just settle for one or the other?

Looks we're getting close to a sub-minute time.

Edited by hobbez

man, these are designs are even better than i would have imagined.

Shadow, love the machine and the outakes, especially the 3 wheeled one. What software do use use to record the game? Ever since i got windows 8.1, i can't get fraps to work =(

Juzeris, 10 kerbals AND a fast time? couldn't you just settle for one or the other?

Looks we're getting close to a sub-minute time.

I am using BandiCam, the pro version. But I am still on Windows 7 here.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.