What would make KSP (perfect) for you?

Talavar

Tech unlocks that require boots on the ground on a specific planet to unlock, possibly implemented via scripted contracts.

Science packages that require a rover, or at least, a significant amount of surface movement.

Better science, ground exploration mechanisms, like taking photos of stuff, and drillis and surface samples that give you actual data, and overhaul of the game mechanics to focus on in-space activity and sustaining a space program, rather than unlocking stuff, and going on fetch quests for money.
I actually would prefer the opposite- an open ended game where your in space operation gets more and more complex.

Bases to run research, and take tourists to, stations throughout the solar system, each having a strategic purpose, (rather than just being there because someone paid you)

There won't be an "it's finished" point to real space exploration, so I don't think it's a good idea for KSP. While having things to achieve isn't a bad thing, having the game be all about ticking of tasks distracts from the main experiences it offers, and limits its potential.

Darn, you took the words right out of my mouth! This is exactly what I want!

For me it would be better physics preformance.

I like to build big but at 140parts i start to notice slow downs and over 350 parts it becomes unplayable.

most of my launchers are 400+ part plus and only launch able with mechjeb.

And my large interstellar ships and station basically become only fun to build but not to fly.

In addition to the stuff we're all waiting for in 1.0:

- Larger wings and landing gear for MK3 planes

- Aerodynamics overhaul

- General bugfixing and balancing

...what would make the game perfect for me:

- Tech tree big enough to never stop researching.

- Enough planets to never run out of planets to explore

- Additional solar systems so that going interstellar is possible with technology found at the far right side of the above mentioned tech tree

- Stock ability to build extra-kerestial bases to build and launch from

Simply put: More endgame stuff

Nothing. Perfection is unattainable.

But what would make it a lot better would be if it was nearly free of bugs and glitches, and had consistently better performance.

Then, more interesting celestials. Ground scatter helps somewhat, but ground scatter also reduces the already poor game performance so I have to turn it off :( Regardless, it's no substitute for real detail. I should be able to spot a funny looking cliff, head over there, perform a science experiment on that particular cliff and get an interesting result for it. Now maybe the Mun is always going to be a bit samey, but look at Mars - a world as varied and once as dynamic as Earth. Duna doesn't even remotely compare.

It sounds daunting - KSP's planets are huge by game map standards. But I think with the game code updated to handle it, a good procedural terrain generator, and quality textures, it could be pulled off without Squad needing to put an exorbitant amount of work in.

Perfect is a strong word. That game would not be KSP. That game would not even be economically possible in this world. It would be combination of Orbiter and KSP with more details. It would have very accurate many body physics model, very versatile engineering and planning tools, very detailed procedurally generated celestial bodies with interesting locations, possibilities to make real exploration (there would be small things to find and their positions would be dependent on some seed value so, that you should do new exploration in every save). Game would have much technical requirements (life support, electric systems etc. Difficulty would be so high that it would give a interesting engineering challenge to me (I am PhD in science (semiconductor physics) and interested in astronomy and space technology), so it would probably be too difficult to far majority of gamers.

Graphics, explosions and other animations, sounds etc. visual and artistic stuff are not so important. Of course they would be on fantastic level in perfect game but i would compromize them before gameplay things.

I like the idea of FTL but id rather it be done with something like a wormhole than an engine. You get to the end of the tech tree, discover the wormhole (out past minimus, polar orbit around the sun, way past all the planets, somewhere) stick a wormhole stabilizer part on your ship and get in close. Then you end up in a random solar system with random planets. You get to name everything yourself. The wormhole stabilizer can be set to take you to whatever system you want. Home, a random location, some place you found. This way you dont have a magic engine that lets you hop around to different planets without effort but still get to go new places.

The wormhole stabilizer can be set to take you to whatever system you want. Home, a random location, some place you found. This way you dont have a magic engine that lets you hop around to different planets without effort but still get to go new places.

Why do you chafe at the idea of a "magic engine", but are perfectly okay with a magic "wormhole stabilizer"? What do you see as the important difference?

KSP excels in the constriction of spacecraft and managing its physics. However, it lacks in graphical beauty and realism. Space Engine is quite the opposite; it looks extremely good, is an incredible 1:1 scale representation of the universe, but has terrible spacecraft. Really, a merging of the two would make for an awe-inspiring game of endless exploration and sheer beauty. :)

It sounds daunting - KSP's planets are huge by game map standards. But I think with the game code updated to handle it, a good procedural terrain generator, and quality textures, it could be pulled off without Squad needing to put an exorbitant amount of work in.

Im honestly surprised at the number of people who have crash issues. Ksp has never once crashed on me.

Well, plenty of folks like to install so many mods the game really isn't even KSP anymore. Trust me, make just one custom planet high definition textures and the game implodes. RealSolarSystem with KW and a couple other part mods? Crash! I have no idea how people can have dozens of mods at once and still be able to play the game.

Also i found space engine boring as hell

It's the little things. ;)

Why do you chafe at the idea of a "magic engine", but are perfectly okay with a magic "wormhole stabilizer"? What do you see as the important difference?

Something specifically for the wormhole just lets you control what system you end up in. It doesnt let you fly around the solar system with impunity. Meaning, I cant just FTL from kerbin to duna but still get to different solar systems.

KSP is a an a near perfect "engine" for me which has spawned a awesome community of mods and interaction. (Yes - I know Unity is the actual engine). However to make that leap to perfection 64-bit is a must as well as optimization of asset management. This is the one thing holding this game back from greatness beyond even Minecraft.

While I am tempted to install Linux just to use 64 bit, its not a solution for everyone nor should it be.

Keeping my thumbs crossed none the less. Thanks for a great platform Squad and thanks to the community.

To make it "perfect?" That would be impossible, of course. But to make it "as interesting as possible to me," I'd need:

- True Colonization (actually building settlements, managing them (if desired), etc)

- Mini-Games (you got to Duna, now what? Rover racing, that's what! :D )

I actually would prefer the opposite- an open ended game where your in space operation gets more and more complex.

Bases to run research, and take tourists to, stations throughout the solar system, each having a strategic purpose, (rather than just being there because someone paid you)

There won't be an "it's finished" point to real space exploration, so I don't think it's a good idea for KSP. While having things to achieve isn't a bad thing, having the game be all about ticking of tasks distracts from the main experiences it offers, and limits its potential.

When I say end game goal, I don't mean the game ends, it's just something to drive you to do things. What you are describing could well be that.

At the moment, I can fly to Eeloo, but why bother? I need a reason to. The contracts help a little, but they just feel random (because they are). I want to feel like going somewhere will advance my space program.

Integration of KW-Rocketry, KSP-Interstellar, Deadly Re-entry, KAS, B9 Aerospace (the spaceplane parts) and...

Oh yeah. Treat a craft as a single-body physics wise if practical. I am sick of my vessels wobbling and oscilatting, simply because I can only dock. So with the use of KAS, I should be able to permanently weld/attach to parts together, which treats them as a single part. This would help with many things - such as actually building a fairly decently sized vessel.

In a perfect world, KSP would be free from lag, bugs, and any issues regarding hardware and part counts, stuff like that. A sandbox game about space travel should have no limits, just like the imagination.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.