XB-70 Valkyrie Replica (and "Nuke")

Dn7ZB9O.png

I've had this one on the back burner ever since 0.90 came out. With 1.0 on the horizon I figured It was time to release

it before the new aerodynamics model forces a complete redesign! I know replica jets don't do much other than fly

around, but I had fun with this one.

1j2ayC5.png

Included is a XGAM-87 family air launch ballistic missile.

g9gKqFg.png

Payload away!

BbNb9KV.png

Stage one, burning for altitude.

uLQ20A8.png

Stage two

4jmTAIk.png

No turning back now... Poor Koviets.

1ZO2t48.png

Many thanks to eorin for the behind-the-scenes encouragement. :cool:

DOWNLOAD

eM5qp2P.png

I'm glad you guys like it!

My only gripe is the bay doors clipping though the bodywork when opening. That could be cleaned up a bit.

Yeah it bugs me too, but we will have to live with it in the realm of stock. I would love to have bay doors that slide back (and wingtips that fold), But we need Infernal Robotics to make that happen.

(Also the new landing gear that porkjet is working on are absolutely perfect for this craft. That will be great.)

Another seriously "seksy" plane you got there, Exo... and you know, if the new aerodynamic model is supposed to work more like reality, this kind of thing should work even better under it. Everyone is kind of afraid of the revamp, but I don't really expect it to be that big of a difference in difficulty. In fact, the only way that I seriously expect it to change how flying feels is in the middle to high altitudes (10-20kms).

Rune. Getting around the censors :P

...this kind of thing should work even better under it. Everyone is kind of afraid of the revamp, but I don't really expect it to be that big of a difference in difficulty.

I seriously hope you are right. In my experience with FAR and NEAR, most of my craft were totally unusable because of using wing parts as structural members, fuselage skinning, duct ramps, etc. FAR had no idea what to make of those pieces that are largely there for aesthetic reasons and weren't meant to be lifting surfaces.

• 2 months later...
Oh, nice! :D

How's she fly in the new aero model? I haven't been able to play much recently, and haven't tested any of my existing stuff in the newer versions.

I gave it a try in v1.0.4 and I couldn't get to VR on the KSC runway. It only reached about 122 m/s and it was still solidly on the runway, and there wasn't a runway any more.

It looks good, but either I am doing something wrong or the new aerodynamics can mess up complex wing structures.

I shall try a few things when I have the time, maybe approximating JATO bottles with an SRB.

A mod I can see a use for would be a small-diameter SRB with built-in decoupler and a fairly short burn time to get something up to flying speed. Size-0 (0.625m) with a nose-cone and a high ejection force decoupler.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.