The Calculator Project!

Calling the Brightest Minds on the KSP Forum!

In many sandbox-style building games, it’s possible to build a device for adding, subtracting, multiplying, or dividing numbers. It is my firm belief that this is possible in Kerbal Space Program… but it likely won’t be easy. I certainly haven't done it yet, and neither has anybody else, as far as I can tell. This is not a challenge for beginners. It will take clever thinking and lots of tweaking to make this work. Are you up for this?

Good. Let’s get started.

KPlugjd.png?2

The KSP Calculator Project!

The goal of this project is to create a machine that is capable of performing the most sophisticated calculations possible, using nothing but stock KSP parts.

~~~

Is this even possible? I see no reason why it wouldn't be. If you have any ideas on how to make this work, I would recommend trying them! If they don't work, you may want to inform the Forum of your attempts, so that they don't have to waste energy. This isn't a challenge for any one individual, but rather a project for the Forum as a whole. (See below for more.)

~~~

There is no time limit, nor part limit. As a matter of fact, using the Debug menu is fine (though Whack-a-Kerbal is not allowed).

To successfully complete this, one must build a machine that does exactly the following. Please read the rules carefully, especially where they say “must!â€Â

• The machine must start off in a stable state. The sum or difference of the numbers must be zero at this point.
  • It must respond to numerical action groups (the "1" action group, "2" action group, etc.). Every action group must correspond to its corresponding number: pressing "1" should add/subtract 1, pressing "2" should add/subtract 2, etc.
    Inputs can be made in the following ways:
    [FIRST NUMERICAL ACTION GROUP] [sECOND NUMERICAL ACTION GROUP] yields the answer.
    [FIRST NUMERICAL ACTION GROUP] [bACKSPACE/ABORT] [sECOND NUMERICAL ACTION GROUP] yields the answer.
    [FIRST NUMERICAL ACTION GROUP] [bACKSPACE/ABORT] [sECOND NUMERICAL ACTION GROUP] [“ZERO†ACTION GROUP] yields the answer. (You are not required to add or subtract zero from numbers.)
    Other methods of input will probably result in the entry being disqualified.
  • If two of the same number are added, subtracted, multiplied, divided, etc. [e.g. 1+1, 2-2, 3x3], the machine must be able to yield the correct answer.
  • The machine must be capable of adding up to 3+3, or subtracting up to 3-3, or multiplying up to 3x3, etc.
  • The machine must have an clear way of showing the answer, that is recognizable to any reasonably experienced KSP player.
  • The machine must work relatively consistently with all of its numerical combinations.
  • Submissions must include a photo or two OR a video of the machine at work (this doesn’t have to be very long or of good quality, as long as it shows that the machine is functional), as well as a brief description of how the machine works, and a .craft file. Oh, and include the name of the thing, too.

There is no time limit or part limit. As a matter of fact, using the Debug menu is fine (though Whack-a-Kerbal is not allowed).

It would also be very nice if the machine was reusable, or if it could perform the operations that are listed below in red (e.g. they haven't been done yet.)

~~~

I would strongly recommend that you share your progress over time, including your successes and failures. I can't emphasize this enough. Because this is arguably one of the most difficult construction projects ever posted, it may take more than one person to achieve the objective of this challenge. As a matter of fact, I have no problem with small “teams†of Forum-goers working on this project.

If you complete this, your name will be included on the list below, and you will likely earn some sort of ribbon (though I haven’t made one yet). In addition, I will urge visitors of the thread to give you Reputation, as a reward for your achievement. All people who complete the project will be given the same recognition (although re-posting an already viable entry or other such tomfoolery will be frowned upon).

Let me know if you have any questions or comments. Again, this is an enormously difficult project, so don’t be discouraged, and hang in there.

~~~

Successful Entries:

Starwhip. Kicked off the competition with a landing-leg-driven craft that can add up to 3+3. Nice job!

Me (UpsilonAerospace). Created a reusable, simple calculator capable of subtracting numbers up to 8-8!

sdj64. Created a calculator that can add up to six numbers, from one to ten!

Yakky. Created by far the most "Kerbal" Multiplication machine I've ever seen, complete with explosions, rockets, and multiplication up to 6x6!

Aphobius. Created an adding and subtracting machine that can handle numbers up to 9+9 or 9-9, and is totally reusable!

DJWizardCop. Created a very impressive machine capable of adding up to 3+3, subtracting down to 3-3(complete with negative numbers), and multiplying. up to 3x3.

evildwarf. Created a lights-based, 100% reusable multiplier capable of handling up to 5x5.

Kerdinand. Created an engine-based, reusable machine capable of adding and subtracting.

Fengist. Created a binary addition and subtraction calculator!

+!!DarkOs!!+ Created a lights-based, reusable machine capable of calculating up to 10x10.

Kerdinand (entry #2). Created a fantastic, relatively simple calculator capable of dividing up to 9/3!

Fengist (entry #2). Expanded upon his original binary calculator to create a machine capable of adding up to 1023 and displaying the answer via the resources tab!

~~~

Useful Entries:

(These entries, while not calculators on their own, are nonetheless steps in the right direction.)

Myndale. Created a very nice (though non-reusable) NAND gate.

Yakky (entry #2). Created an equally explosive device for representing numbers of greater than ten with two button presses.

~~~

Objectives Achieved:

(Objectives in GREEN have been completed, objectives in RED have not... yet.)

Adding two simple numbers to one another.

Subtracting two simple numbers from one another.

Creating a 100% reusable machine for subtracting.

Adding three or more simple numbers to one another.

Creating a 100% reusable machine for adding.

Subtracting three or more simple numbers from one another.

Creating a subtraction machine that depicts negative numbers.

Adding and subtracting numbers at will with one machine.

Multiplying simple numbers by one another.

Adding and subtracting and multiplying numbers with one machine.

Creating a converter from binary to base-ten numbers.

Adding or subtracting numbers greater than ten, using only the numerical action groups (pressing 1 and then 5 gives a value of 15).

Dividing simple numbers by one another.

Creating a display that shows the answer with recognizable European numerals (perhaps LCD-clock-style?)

Creating a reusable division calculator.

Creating a way of representing fractions, and multiplying/dividing these by one another.

Integrating addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division into one package. (This isn't going to be easy.)

Best of luck!

-Upsilon

Edited by UpsilonAerospace

If we're using Binary I have some ideas with landing legs... :)

Or lights. Yeah! Lights will work quite nicely!

EDIT:

Nevermind, it'll have to be mechanical... There's no way to "program" the lights with action groups alone. :(

EDIT2:

IDIDITOHMYGOD hold on, I'll finish my idea! :D WHOO!

Edited by Starwhip

Right! Here's how it works:

Action Groups:

Set "A"

1 - Releases 1 fuel tank

2 - Releases 2 fuel tanks

3 - Releases 3 fuel tanks

Set "B"

4 - Releases 1 fuel tank

5 - Releases 2 fuel tanks

6 - Releases 3 fuel tanks

For Adding:

Counting the number of fuel tanks in the bin at the end gives you the result.

Examples:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Do I really need a video? :D

EDIT:

Dammit, dropbox link didn't show up. One moment.

EDIT:

Download the CALCUMALATOR!

Edited by Starwhip

Hey guys!

First of all, Starwhip, you did a great job...

...But you (involuntarily) found a loophole in the rules.

When I first envisioned this project, I was imagining that pressing the "three" action group and then the "two" action group would give you "five." Or pressing the "three" action group twice giving you "six." That's a little more difficult, no?

I still think it's possible. I have an idea involving landing legs and such. But it'll be a little more challenging...

I still will add you to the "Successful Entries" board, as the rules weren't all that clear. However, future entries should abide by these rules.

Sorry...!

-Upsilon

Oh, you wanna do it the hard way? :P

I'll play like that. Should be fairly simple!

EDIT:

WIP Concept.

h94ew49.png

EDIT2:

OH NOES! I had one that worked and then my game crashed! :(:mad:

*Please* be in the "Untitled Space Craft" Thing! *crosses fingers*

It was an interesting control scheme: 1, 2, or 3 gives you the corresponding number of fuel tanks. Then the sequence ABORT - 0 - ABORT to reset and load the next fuel tanks, then hit 1, 2, or 3 again. Infinitely scalable.

Edited by Starwhip

Alright! A legitimate entry. :)

The Calcumalator MKIII

How to Operate:

1 - Release 1 fuel tank

2 - Release 2 fuel tanks

3 - Release 3 fuel tanks

ABORT (Backspace) - Reset legs

0 - Open hoppers for new fuel tanks

SEQUENCE:

1 or 2 or 3

ABORT

ABORT

1 or 2 or 3

Counting the number of fuel tanks in the bin will give you the answer.

Calcumalator MKIII in action! (Minor design flaw, but easy to fix)

Javascript is disabled. View full album

I'm adding a fence and then putting up the .craft. :)

EDIT: Argh, my game keeps crashing! :(

WHY!?!

Download CALCUMALATORMKIII

Edited by Starwhip

The Calcumalator MKIII

How to Operate:

1 - Release 1 fuel tank

2 - Release 2 fuel tanks

3 - Release 3 fuel tanks

SEQUENCE:

1 or 2 or 3

ABORT

ABORT

1 or 2 or 3

Counting the number of fuel tanks in the bin will give you the answer.

Calcumalator MKIII in action! (Minor design flaw, but easy to fix)

http://imgur.com/a/Ejiyj

WHY!?!

Very nice job! I've updated the Leaderboard, and it looks as if you're the first viable entry!

Does this link help anyone?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Analog_computer

I'm not quite sure how it works right now, but I'll keep researching.

Thanks for the link! Hopefully it will provide some inspiration for KSP players.

Because of the nature of this challenge, subtraction is actually very easy. I managed to create a machine capable of subtracting up to 8-8 with a mere 13 parts.

Here's how it works.

All of the lights are initially turned off. This is a very "stable state," no?

kaPamM2.jpg

You input your first number. The lights are wired to action groups so pressing that the number "7," for example, will either turn on or turn off seven lights. (This is achievable with the ToggleLight option.) Because all lights initially start in the "Off" position, seven lights turn on:

kFUzVDC.jpg

...and then it's time to input your second number, which is "4" in this case. Four lights turn off, leaving you with three lights for your answer.

RBOoyD0.jpg

Seven minus four is three. (Note: This calculator will give you the absolute value of your answer. 4-7 would also give an answer of three, for example.)

This thing can be reset by pressing the "Lights" action group. After this, you can perform another calculation with neither fuss nor muss.

So that's my initial entry. I would provide the .craft file, but I made this thing in less than ten minutes. It would probably be quicker to create this thing than to download it... though you must place all lights separately and do some fiddling with the action groups. :)

Now that we have a successful calculator that adds and a successful calculator that subtracts, it's time to innovate further! I would love to see a calculator capable of adding and subtracting... a calculator that can add more than two numbers... a reusable adding calculator... et cetera. I'm sure that there's more to be uncovered, here.

-Upsilon

This challenge is really interesting!

I've got a system that can handle addition, subtraction and (I think) negative numbers, but I'm having some issues with some of the parts sometimes not activating when I press the action groups. Hopefully I'll be able to work out the bugs, but in the mean time, just wanted to pop in and say the challenge is great.

I also thought of lights as they are probably the smallest on/off state device besides antennas, which would be hard to read. This calculator can add any number of numbers up to ten, by expanding it longer. The version here supports up to 6 addends and has around 200 parts. I hope that staging and using the "stage" action group is a legitimate entry, if not, you could use the other action groups such as backspace to reset the lights. Start it from the runway and don't timewarp, it breaks after timewarp for some reason.

It works with this process:

1. Input your number 1-10 using the numerical action groups (10 uses the 0 action group)

2. Stage to "save" your number to the sum, the left-most flap will lower and all of the other lights will turn off, pending the next entry

3. Repeat step 1 and 2 until you are done

4. Count the lit lights, that is the total sum of all the numbers

The device from above, before activation.

YKKMlsI.png

Adding 6 + 2 + 10 = 18. Note that the unused lights are off, pending entry of more numbers.

0Nx3CEu.png

Craft file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/udybkaa5om6lsqk/Adding%20Machine.craft?dl=0

I also thought of lights as they are probably the smallest on/off state device besides antennas, which would be hard to read. This calculator can add any number of numbers up to ten, by expanding it longer. The version here supports up to 6 addends and has around 200 parts. I hope that staging and using the "stage" action group is a legitimate entry, if not, you could use the other action groups such as backspace to reset the lights. Start it from the runway and don't timewarp, it breaks after timewarp for some reason.

It works with this process:

1. Input your number 1-10 using the numerical action groups (10 uses the 0 action group)

2. Stage to "save" your number to the sum, the left-most flap will lower and all of the other lights will turn off, pending the next entry

3. Repeat step 1 and 2 until you are done

4. Count the lit lights, that is the total sum of all the numbers

The device from above, before activation.

http://i.imgur.com/YKKMlsI.png

Adding 6 + 2 + 10 = 18. Note that the unused lights are off, pending entry of more numbers.

http://i.imgur.com/0Nx3CEu.png

Craft file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/udybkaa5om6lsqk/Adding%20Machine.craft?dl=0

Great job! My only concern (which is very minor) is the staging, but I'll definitely allow this as an entry.

(My rule concerning the staging was primarily added so that people couldn't press the spacebar six times to yield the number six, for example.)

Also, while your method of counting the lights isn't bad, I think that it might be a cool project for someone to actually try to create an "LCD" style display for the answer, using lights. You know, something like:

cristalys_14.jpg

...only using stock KSP lights. That would be a neat project, though I have no idea how it would work.

Adding you to the original post! Congrants.

Edited by UpsilonAerospace

This is nice, I always liked making computers in sandbox games.

I think I have an idea about how to make a reusable "transistor" in Kerbal. But we are pretty limited by the parts number, I think there is a mod that disable the physics on the parts, so you can use much more, that could be useful.

I'll try my idea and I'll come back with the results if it succeeds.

I cannot, for the life of me, figure out how to get the landing legs to work like I'd like them to. They just decide not to respond to the action groups sometimes. I think it has to do with the way KSP handles their initial state, so maybe there's no work around, but if one exists I'd really appreciate it if someone could help me.

Here's a screen shot of the craft: (this version works with numbers 1 and 2. It could very easily be scaled to include 3, 4, and beyond.)

DoKDQsh.png

The idea is that the stayputniks start at the top, and each pair of landing legs acts as a "logic gate" and either allows the stayputnik to pass or doesn't.

How it SHOULD work:

All "gates" start in the "open" state.

1 decouples the leftmost two Stayputniks. 2 decouples the rightmost 4.

1 toggles the 4 leftmost gates on the top row.

2 toggles the leftmost top gate, skips the second, then toggles the rightmost 4.

0 toggles all of the bottom gates. (activates subtraction)

1 toggles the third bottom gate from the left.

With this system, in theory, it could do 1+1, 1+2, 2+1, 2+2, 1-1, 2-1, and 2-2. (1-2 would give zero, I haven't implemented the negative numbers yet)

Here's the craft file if anyone's interested/wants to improve it.

https://www.sendspace.com/file/vii5vn

This is nice, I always liked making computers in sandbox games.

I think I have an idea about how to make a reusable "transistor" in Kerbal. But we are pretty limited by the parts number, I think there is a mod that disable the physics on the parts, so you can use much more, that could be useful.

I'll try my idea and I'll come back with the results if it succeeds.

If you created a working transistor, then I would be incredibly impressed. It might be worth providing the .craft of as a subassembly, on its own, as long as it's fairly reliable.

As for part count, I have no problem with a part-welding mod, as long as all of the parts on the machine itself are stock. Maybe that will help.

I cannot, for the life of me, figure out how to get the landing legs to work like I'd like them to. They just decide not to respond to the action groups sometimes. I think it has to do with the way KSP handles their initial state, so maybe there's no work around, but if one exists I'd really appreciate it if someone could help me.

Here's a screen shot of the craft: (this version works with numbers 1 and 2. It could very easily be scaled to include 3, 4, and beyond.)

http://i.imgur.com/DoKDQsh.png

The idea is that the stayputniks start at the top, and each pair of landing legs acts as a "logic gate" and either allows the stayputnik to pass or doesn't.

How it SHOULD work:

All "gates" start in the "open" state.

1 decouples the leftmost two Stayputniks. 2 decouples the rightmost 4.

1 toggles the 4 leftmost gates on the top row.

2 toggles the leftmost top gate, skips the second, then toggles the rightmost 4.

0 toggles all of the bottom gates. (activates subtraction)

1 toggles the third bottom gate from the left.

With this system, in theory, it could do 1+1, 1+2, 2+1, 2+2, 1-1, 2-1, and 2-2. (1-2 would give zero, I haven't implemented the negative numbers yet)

Here's the craft file if anyone's interested/wants to improve it.

https://www.sendspace.com/file/vii5vn

This looks incredibly promising. I really like your use of landing-leg "logic gates." I won't put you on the Original Post just yet, but I'm sure that with some further tweaking, you'll have a reliable enough design to be up there.

As for landing legs not working properly, I've had very good luck with using the mid-range communication antenna (the radially-mounted one) instead. When deployed, it provides a very nice barrier to prevent any parts from passing. When it's retracted, it's low-profile enough to not cause any interference. Best of all, it should work well with the action groups! (I've had problems with landing legs as well, but I've never had any trouble with the antennas yet.)

It might be worth a try.

Best of luck!

-Upsilon

I've come up with a Kerbal technique to handle multiplication and have built a demonstration device that will multiply any two numbers from 1 to 6. It consists of 36 two-stage rockets (arranged in six groups of six) that are clamped to the launching rig by their upper stages, and works like this:

1. All lower stage rocket motors are lit, but no clamps are released.

2. A key press from 1 to 6 will shutdown from 1 to 6 lower-stage motors within each group of six, leaving the others going.

3. Lower stages are separated. In cases where the rocket motors are firing, they simply rise up and push against the bottoms of the upper stages. In cases where they have shut down, the lower stages fall away and are destroyed.

4. All upper stage motors are lit. Clamps are still not released.

5. A key press from 1 to 6 will again shutdown from 1 to 6 of the groups (i.e. not the same assignments as for the lower stages). The lower stages that are already firing are not affected, because they have already been separated.

6. Rockets are released. Any rocket that has a lower stage or an upper stage firing will be lifted up and away, and are eventually destroyed.

7. Any rocket that has neither the upper stage or lower stage firing simply drops onto the launch pad and is counted.

8. Count the total upper stages on the pad... that's your answer!

I have tested it many times and it works (aside from the occasional stray upper stage that tips over and explodes.

Edit: Craft file is here. I recommend launching from the runway (SPH) rather than launch pad (VAB) so that you have more flat space. Otherwise a result bit will occasionally tip off the launchpad and explode, as in the pics below.

Calculation Instructions (basically a restatement of the above, but more streamlined here:

1. Boot up the system by pressing space. No need to adjust throttle.

2. Enter first number 1-6.

3. Load the number into the register by pressing space again.

4. Enter second number 1-6.

5. Compute by pressing space again.

6. (Optional) Clear away some of the machinery by pressing space a third time.

7. Count your upper stages to get your answer.

Pics below:

Here's the craft on the pad before "calculating":

Y8KTR7n.jpg

We will multiply 3 x 5. Here the first stages have been lit, and 3 in each group have been shut down by pressing the "3" key:

4XfszhT.jpg

All stage separators are fired and the upper stages are lit, leading to some mayhem as three lower stages in each group (no longer running) fall away and are blasted into the ground by the rocket wash of the upper stages. The remaining lower stages continue to burn, but are now disconnected and won't respond to any more keyboard input.

gMkPAls.jpg

Next, the "5" key is pressed, shutting down 5 of the 6 groups of upper stages. (Note that the lower stage engines are still burning as before because they're not connected and don't respond to keyboard input anymore.) After pressing the "5" key, we release all the rockets. Some that have no engines burning fall to the pad, while others depart for destinations unknown!

CYzR2bq.jpg

Once the smoke clears, we count and find exactly 15 upper stages on the pad! (Well, actually one of the 15 fuel tanks exploded, but we still plainly see the three wings and engine of the 15th upper stage. So if we count sets of wings, or if we count engines, we get 15.)

EhlnvGS.jpg

Edited by Yakky

I've come up with a Kerbal technique to handle multiplication and have built a demonstration device that will multiply any two numbers from 1 to 6. It consists of 36 two-stage rockets (arranged in six groups of six) that are clamped to the launching rig by their upper stages, and works like this:

1. All lower stage rocket motors are lit, but no clamps are released.

2. A key press from 1 to 6 will shutdown from 1 to 6 lower-stage motors in each group of six, leaving the others going.

3. Lower stages are separated. In cases where the rocket motors are firing, they simply rise up and push against the bottoms of the upper stages. In cases where they have shut down, the lower stages fall away and are destroyed.

4. All upper stage motors are lit. Clamps are still not released.

5. A key press from 1 to 6 will again shutdown from 1 to 6 of the groups (i.e. not the same assignments as for the lower stages). The lower stages that are already firing are not affected, because they have already been separated.

6. Rockets are released. Any rocket that has a lower stage or an upper stage firing will be lifted up and away, and are eventually destroyed.

7. Any rocket that has neither the upper stage or lower stage firing simply drops onto the launch pad and is counted.

8. Count the total upper stages on the pad... that's your answer!

I have tested it many times and it works (aside from the occasional stray upper stage that tips over and explodes. Pics below:

Here's the craft on the pad before "calculating":

http://i.imgur.com/Y8KTR7n.jpg

We will multiply 3 x 5. Here the first stages have been lit, and 3 in each group have been shut down by pressing the "3" key:

http://i.imgur.com/4XfszhT.jpg

All stage separators are fired and the upper stages are lit, leading to some mayhem as three lower stages in each group (no longer running) fall away and are blasted into the ground by the rocket wash of the upper stages. The remaining lower stages continue to burn, but are now disconnected and won't respond to any more keyboard input.

http://i.imgur.com/gMkPAls.jpg

Next, the "5" key is pressed, shutting down 5 of the 6 groups of upper stages. (Note that the lower stage engines are still burning as before because they're not connected and don't respond to keyboard input anymore.) After pressing the "5" key, we release all the rockets. Some that have no engines burning fall to the pad, while others depart for destinations unknown!

http://i.imgur.com/CYzR2bq.jpg

Once the smoke clears, we count and find exactly 15 upper stages on the pad! (Well, actually one of the 15 fuel tanks exploded, but we still plainly see the three wings and engine of the 15th upper stage. So if we count sets of wings, or if we count engines, we get 15.)

http://i.imgur.com/EhlnvGS.jpg

that looks really, reeeeeeaaaly cool. can I have one?

Jeb will love doing math now!

I can hear it:

Jeb: So, to get to the Mun, I multiply 3 boosters by 5 boosters. Ok, so for a Free-Return Trajectory, I need about 878 m/s of ∆-V.

Bill and Bob, in chorus: JEB!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOooOooooOOoooo!!!!!!!q1!

Jeb: Here goes!

I didn't made a "transistor", I think I can make one, but I don't think it's feasible to make a working computer in Kerbal, using "transistors", a simple memory latch would have like 100 parts and that's for only one bit of memory, an working ALU with registers, control unit etc. is out of discussion.

Anyway, I didn't wanted to disappoint you, so I've made this. I'm sorry for my English and my voice (it's really late).

I could still work on making an usable "transistor", but as I've said, I don't think it could be used to make anything practical.

that looks really, reeeeeeaaaly cool. can I have one?

Sure! Here's the craft file for my 6x6 multiplier... just credit me if you do anything cool with it. BTW I recommend launching from the SPH rather than VAB so that you have more wide-open flat space. :-)

Instructions:

1. Press space to activate 1st stage.

2. Enter 1st number to multiply (1-6).

3. Press space again.

4. Enter 2nd number to multiply (1-6).

5. Press space a third time to, uh... "calculate".

6. (Optional!) Press space a 4th time to clear away most of the truss structure. Or you can leave it.

7. Count your winged rockets on the ground at the launch pad... that's your answer!

The Calcumalator MKIII

How to Operate:

1 - Release 1 fuel tank

2 - Release 2 fuel tanks

3 - Release 3 fuel tanks

SEQUENCE:

1 or 2 or 3

ABORT

ABORT

1 or 2 or 3

WHY!?!

The first thing I thought of was that you could make the game of Connect Four in KSP.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.