Science Fiction ships

digitalpsychosis

Hey everyone!

I just wanted to get the lay of the land, since I am starting with KSPTV tomorrow.

I create Science Fiction ships for the science fiction cross-over project I have dubbed "Space Base DP-1". My goal is to reconstruct these sci-fi ships and get them into orbit around Kerbin at minimum. There's been many that have failed (usually due to lack of parts available or just shoddy engineering - I'm not an actual rocket surgeon) and a whole lot that succeeded, but I really want to get an idea of what is currently available.

I've been on Reddit and here on the forums checking things out for ages and I have found a Klingon Bird of Prey and a Stargate Daedelus class vessel that are pre-built. I also found a functional F-302 from Stargate SG-1 that can SSTO without a problem posted on reddit this morning.

What I would really like to know are three things:

1. What sort of ships would you like to see?

2. Are there any pre-designed ships that are worth adding to Space Base DP-1?

3. Are there any worthwhile part mods that I should look at for things like curved components or spherical fuel tanks? - I really want to make Starbug from Red Dwarf.

The ones I have made so far that have succeeded (well, some are incomplete) are uploaded to kerbalX here and the goal is to make this the biggest crossover imaginable!

I'd love your help, fellow Kosmonauts!

Planet Express Ship?

I tried that one out, but couldn't manage it. All of the ones I have tried are back on the list for a retry, including that. It's just a little difficult without making it look like a goose.

Because it does... using the parts I had available at the time.

Sorry, i dont have links handy, but I've seen:

Space 1999

Many of the Star Trek universe ships

Millenium Falcon

Battlestar Galactica Vipers (couple different versions; and I might even have seen one or two attempts at a Battlestar, IIRC)

Several generic UFO saucers

a Firefly-like mod (IIRC, by Wenkel Corp.)

Thunderbirds

I'm sure there are more, but those are just off the top of my head...

Sorry, i dont have links handy, but I've seen:

Space 1999

Millenium Falcon

Battlestar Galactica Vipers (couple different versions; and I might even have seen one or two attempts at a Battlestar, IIRC)

Thunderbirds

I'm sure there are more, but those are just off the top of my head...

Oooooooooh... They intrigue me a lot. Are these ones generally made from stock parts or are they modded parts from what you've seen?

United Planets Cruiser C-57D.

I accept this challenge, provided sufficient parts are available. Not having much luck finding anything other than a procedural fuel tank that I could use; and we all know how well they work in atmosphere without any control surfaces. heh.

Oooooooooh... They intrigue me a lot. Are these ones generally made from stock parts or are they modded parts from what you've seen?

IIRC, these were mods:

Space 1999

Thunderbirds

While I think I remember seeing the Battlestar Galactica battlestars was a mod(?), while most of the Vipers I've seen were stock?

IIRC, I've seen at least one UFO saucer that was HUGE, and was a mod, while I've seen several stock forms...

I've seen lots of attempts at the Millenium falcon, but IMHO, Space Cowboy had the best version...He has several different threads of his many attempts at getting it right...

Try checking some of them out from his profile:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/search.php?searchid=4802704

Oh!, and i just remembered I've seen some attempts at the 2001 Space Odyssey ship...

IIRC, there was the DSR (Deep Space (something)) mod that had the spherical command pod and other parts geared toward 2001...??

While I am interested in very non-stock, non-Kerbal ships, I tend to only pay real attention to ships built with mods or modded parts...Once I open a thread about an interesting sounding ship, and find that its mostly stock parts, I skip it.... lol

Oh, and maybe check out www.KerbalX.com ...???...They might have some already built craft to get you started?

EDIT: I just remembered there is a mod for the ship from the movie Oblivion, also...

Edited by Stone Blue

IIRC, these were mods:

Space 1999

Thunderbirds

While I think I remember seeing the Battlestar Galactica battlestars was a mod(?), while most of the Vipers I've seen were stock?

IIRC, I've seen at least one UFO saucer that was HUGE, and was a mod, while I've seen several stock forms...

I've seen lots of attempts at the Millenium falcon, but IMHO, Space Cowboy had the best version...He has several different threads of his many attempts at getting it right...

Try checking some of them out from his profile:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/search.php?searchid=4802704

Oh!, and i just remembered I've seen some attempts at the 2001 Space Odyssey ship...

IIRC, there was the DSR (Deep Space (something)) mod that had the spherical command pod and other parts geared toward 2001...??

While I am interested in very non-stock, non-Kerbal ships, I tend to only pay real attention to ships built with mods or modded parts...Once I open a thread about an interesting sounding ship, and find that its mostly stock parts, I skip it.... lol

Oh, and maybe check out www.KerbalX.com ...???...They might have some already built craft to get you started?

EDIT: I just remembered there is a mod for the ship from the movie Oblivion, also...

BAM. I will get hunting on those. Thanks heaps dude.

- - - Updated - - -

Prometheus and Nostromo are on the list now - particularly because I have an orbital station using EPL.

Enterprize A is a bit of an uncontrollable pain, but I am keen to give that another go.

The Endurance I have seen a few people make over the last few months and it looks great. There's definitely some mods I have seen around that make it possible. Might as well have a go at it myself, right?

Here's the thread for the sphererical tanks mod, even though it says 0.23.5, I'm currently using it in 0.25 with no issues, so I'm 99% sure that it will work in 0.90.

Another great mod for ship-building is Lack Luster Labs, as the inspiration for the parts were taken from films such as Moon and Space 1999.

Also, do you have a part welder? Ubiozur Part Welder can allow you to merge multiple parts into one, which really saves on the part count; just don't do it on engines, it's meant for storage like tanks and batteries only.

Valkyrie SSTO from Avatar. I was trying to make that one for a while, but havent succeded yet.

And what I mean by trying is doing it legit with modded aero and sane part count.

Edited by Veeltch

Any of the Babylon 5 ships. So many styles to chose from. The Terran ones are probably the only ones you could reasonably do in KSP.

So:

--Star Fury

--Someone already made a decent Agamemnon.

EDIT:

The Narn and the Centauri cruisers should be doable.

640narncruiser1.jpg

Edited by FleshJeb

Battlestar Galactica, make some of those ships.

I have a viper. It SSTOs without an issue. Great little craft.

- - - Updated - - -

Elysium?

That thing is huge. I could scale it down, but then it would lose the impact of it. I'll pop it on the list. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Moya from Farscape.

I wanted to do Moya really early in the project, but there's a lack of parts that would get the right feel. Someone would probably have to custom-make them. :(

- - - Updated - - -

I would like to see an Omega Class Destroyer from Babylon 5 or a Starfury fighter. Or both!

Starfury Thunderbolt is up on KerbalX ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Here's the thread for the sphererical tanks mod, even though it says 0.23.5, I'm currently using it in 0.25 with no issues, so I'm 99% sure that it will work in 0.90.

Another great mod for ship-building is Lack Luster Labs, as the inspiration for the parts were taken from films such as Moon and Space 1999.

Also, do you have a part welder? Ubiozur Part Welder can allow you to merge multiple parts into one, which really saves on the part count; just don't do it on engines, it's meant for storage like tanks and batteries only.

I was looking at the part welder the other night. Definitely think I will add that in before the cast. :)

I have LLL already and it is awesome. Great styling.

Thanks for the info on the spherical tanks! :D

- - - Updated - - -

Valkyrie SSTO from Avatar. I was trying to make that one for a while, but havent succeded yet.

And what I mean by trying is doing it legit with modded aero and sane part count.

Yeah, that's part of the struggle I have. I'm sticking with the stock aero until 1.0 and the aero changes there. When that happens, I will run all of the craft again and laugh as they all crash horribly. :P

I've thought about the Valkyrie too. It's a good one. I really need to spend some time researching it.

- - - Updated - - -

How about:

The Kestral or the Federation Flagship from FTL.

Eclipse Class Super Star Destroyer from Star Wars.

Kestrel definitely needs to be done. The Federation Flagship is a little bigger than I want at the moment, but I do want to do it. It's a really fancy looking craft.

And yeah... Star Destroyers... hoo boy. Massive. That's like... a couple of weeks to build one. lol

- - - Updated - - -

That looks sick... I need to build it. On the list it goes.

Thunderbolt Starfury is already done. ;)

- - - Updated - - -

There was an SSV Normandy mod floating around a while back. Would love to see that, again.

hmmmmmm... That I could do. Time to mod-hunt. I tried to make one with parts I had, but there was no hope.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.