Tweakable rover wheels

I have had several cases where my rover wheels were too powerful for the job and I asked the question "shouldnt we be able to change gears or something to make the wheels spin slower?". Thus, rover wheels should have a tweakable similar to a thrust limiter that can be edited in-flight and limits how fast the rover wheels will go so that your rover/mobile base will not flip itself over when you try to drive it.

My only problem with that is that I often build vehicles equipped with both rover wheels and rocket engines... but for most purposes I could just use action groups to turn the engines on and the wheels off or vice versa.

Say, that reminds me... can rover wheels be activated/deactivated with action groups? I don't recall if I've ever tried.

• 2 weeks later...
Tweakables for grip, bump, rebound, spring force, tire pressure, tire compound, ride height, steer ratio, clutch ... I want it all.

Lol that would be cool. But I don't see it happening.

I think we need:

Motor torque 1-100

Suspension height

Suspension softness

We're operating rovers on planets with different gravity. We need these options to adjust for different conditions.

It's old and the feature set is limited, but I did create a plugin that adds more tweakables for rover wheels. It should still work in 0.90 since there haven't been major changes to the rover wheels between 0.25 and 0.90. It lets you adjust motor torque, brake torque, and steering angle and I was eventually going to work on adding some functionality to adjust suspension.

Link: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/68530-0-25-Tweakable-Wheels-Adjustable-Brakes-Steering-and-Torque-for-Wheels

I won't be able to work on adding new stuff until at least May 10 or so, but if you want something added feel free to let me know.

Edited by OrbitusII

Perhaps instead of power you could have an inverse relationship between speed and torque. It could work somewhat like what Crusher described about throttle dictating the 'gear' you are in. Also, another way to do this would be to have 3 settings: high torque, high speed, and mixed mode. High torque would be similar to gear 1-1 on a 21 gear bike. Mixed mode would be like 2-4, and high speed would be like 3-7. They could be toggleable through action groups & the right click menu.

-Vec

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.