Take me to the Moons - Land on all of Kerbol's moons

Take me to the Moons

Kerbals have set a flag on all possible planets in Kerbol system. There is nothing much to do, just some blueprints of crazy ideas with tons of dust on them. Jebediah is bored, which is not pretty safe thing, as it may hurt KSC employees, as well as buildings. And who know what else. Then one guy get it. We have landed on all planets. But most of moons remains untouched. Decision came to send Jebediah on very long mission, so peaceful time with no explosions will come to whole Kerbin. For as long as possible...

Basically, you have to land on as many moons in one mission as possible. There are 3 difficulty options. Order shown here is not required for attempt to count.

Take me to the Moons - Extra Small (Level 1): Mun, Minmus, Ike and Gilly (all moons excluding Joolian moons)

Take me to the Moons - Small (Level 2): Mun, Minmus, Ike, Gilly, Vall, Bop and Pol (all moons excluding Laythe and Tylo)

Take me to the Moons - Full (Level 3): Mun, Minmus, Ike, Gilly, Laythe, Tylo, Vall, Bop and Pol (all moons)

Rules

1. No cheating. No infinite fuel, no gravity hacks, no hyperedit, no modified (unbalanced) parts. There are more prohibited things, not needed to mention, of course. Quicksave is ok.

2. Everything have to be set on LKO, assembled and ready to go as one huge ship without returning to LKO or sending any additional landers. One refueling is possible.

3. You can take as many Kerbals as you want (at least 1), but you have to return them on Kerbin (so you will basically recover them from surface/water). They also have to come back to Kerbin's atmosphere in one vessel. You can't use command seats in interplanetary.

4. Your ship can only divide into multiple usable parts in SOI's of other planets (than Kerbin) and non-Kerbin moons. Debris is allowed. Leaving planet's SOI is only possible with everything in one part and all Kerbals on board. So you can't leave Kerbin's SOI and then divide into multiple ships leading to different planets.

5. You have to touch moon's surface from EVA in order for landing to count. You can use tricky methods as EVA landing if possible. So double-check ladders for Tylo.

6. Take images of everything. No image and it did not happened! If you use some informative mods, take screenshots of Delta-V before and after maneuvers.

7. I accept Grand-Tour only if you originally attempted for this challenge and something has gone "wrong". I don't accept The Ultimate Jool-5 entries.

8. If your attempt is longer than one slideshow or is kind of long slideshow, post here link to report posted in Mission Reports.

9. If something seems like it is prohibited, ask me or simple do not do it. I have last word on everything. If something seems like rules violation for me, it IS rules violation.

Mods

Part mods are allowed, if they are balanced. Parts must not have advantage over stock ones. If you find cool mod not in list, check balancing (TWR, ISP etc.).

List of allowed mods:

- All visual and informative mods, which don't affect physics and don't add parts. (Mechjeb, KER, KAC)

- Docking cameras/assistents

- ALCOR landing capsule

- Deadly re-entry, FAR and NEAR

- KW Rocketry

- B9 Aerospace

- TAC Lifesupport

- Infernal Robotics

- Near Future Electrical (nuclear thingies forbidden), Solar, Construction (excluding NFM fuel), Spacecraft

- Tweakscale

- Ubio Welding

Prohibited mods:

- Mods adding new types of fuel

- Kerthane and Karbonite

- KSP Interstellar, Near Future Propulsion

Scoring

If you finish a level of challenge with any score and you are approved by me, you can use one of these (from left to right level 1-3). You can use any of same or lower level badge than you completed. When copying these codes, remove unnecessary spaces (before URL and IMG)

squqlyy.pnginxX4UN.pngNeXmAvH.png

Level 1: [ URL=http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/114391-Take-me-to-the-Moons-Land-on-all-of-Kerbol-s-moons][ IMG]http://i.imgur.com/squqlyy.png

Level 2: [ URL=http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/114391-Take-me-to-the-Moons-Land-on-all-of-Kerbol-s-moons][ IMG]http://i.imgur.com/inxX4UN.png

Level 3: [ URL=http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/114391-Take-me-to-the-Moons-Land-on-all-of-Kerbol-s-moons][ IMG]http://i.imgur.com/NeXmAvH.png

Every challenge level has it's own scoreboard. It is impossible to compare attempts made for different level.

1000 is starting score (added because sub-zero score looks dull)

-0.1 for every ton on launchpad (or runway)

+125 if you started as one piece on launchpad (or runway)

+100 for absolutely no debris left anywhere

+50 for bringing science lab (Mobile Processing Lab or something bigger from mod) with you and back to Kerbin

+40 For horizontal takeoff from or landing on Kerbin (100 for both, including already mentioned +40 bonus)

+25 for no jets on Laythe (Level 3 exclusive)

+20 per every Kerbal which landed on at least one moon

-300 if you needed refueling mission

+5 for every ton of payload left on surface of moon (max 20 tons) (Multipliers: x0.1 - Gilly, Minmus; x0.25 - Mun; x0.5 - Ike, Pol, Bop; x1 - Vall; x2 - Tylo and Laythe)

Landing bonuses (These applies only if they are over challenge level's requirements (if you finish Level 2 attempt and you landed on Laythe you will get Laythe bonus)):

+150 Moho

+150 Eve (remember you have to take off)

+50 Duna

+80 Dres

+200 if you landed on Joolian moon and your attempt is still level 1

+20 Bop or Pol (max 40 pts)

+50 Vall

+200 Laythe

+250 Tylo

+150 Eeloo

Leaderboards

Take me to the Moons - Extra Small

Mun, Minmus, Ike and Gilly (all moons excluding Joolian moons)

1) Nik333 - 1118.2 pts - Single launch, 268 tons, one Kerbal - report

Take me to the Moons - Small

Mun, Minmus, Ike, Gilly, Vall, Bop and Pol (all moons excluding Laythe and Tylo)

1) Foxster - 883.0 pts - Single launch, 2620 tons, one Kerbal - report

Take me to the Moons - Full

Mun, Minmus, Ike, Gilly, Laythe, Tylo, Vall, Bop and Pol (all moons)

1) JohnFX - 700.0 pts - First to do Level 3, ~3200 tons, one Kerbal - report

Edited by Nik333
JohnFX's entry, scoring more clear

Wow, this seems challenging yet thrilling! I am not very professional at landing on multiple moons in one mission, though..

And will you try? It is not that hard, just some planning is required...

I have just finished Gilly (first time there). It was very strange experience. First EVA landing I have did. Only one remaining is Ike and I will see whether go for outer Joolians or not. Delta-V will tell. I have started really lightweight mission (single-launch) so I am curious about that.

As prove of possibility, here is my very own attempt for my own challenge. It was originally supposed to be Level 2 (with outer Joolians), but it is harder to count Delta-V than in Jool-5 and you have to do far too many maneuvers to actually precalculate required Delta-V. And as planning is my key to success, it ended as it ended.

But I am still happy with it, because I have met Eve for first time, landed on Gilly first time and tried EVA landing for first time. And maybe (unlikely) get some attention for my challenge?

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Jebediah is happy to be back again after 6 years and something. He is maybe a little bit crazy, but he have family too, you know...

Scoring of my attempt is counted as following:

+125 - Single launch

+20 - For one Kerbal that landed somewhere

-26.8 - 268 tons on launchpad

118.2 points total

tumblr_lgedv2Vtt21qf4x93o1_40020110725-22047-38imqt.jpg

Sorry, felt like this meme fits here perfectly.

Well, the magic boulder isn't around anymore, but I'll try to do this challenge later (I've just completed career mode [yes, all of it], and need a challenge). This time with funds, and setting up remotetech networks (leaving some satellites at desired locations are a great idea, but I will probably need to do it with some balanced mods).

Well, the magic boulder isn't around anymore, but I'll try to do this challenge later (I've just completed career mode [yes, all of it], and need a challenge). This time with funds, and setting up remotetech networks (leaving some satellites at desired locations are a great idea, but I will probably need to do it with some balanced mods).

Thank you I didn't know that. Taking notes. About remotetech, keep in mind that you have to take at least one Kerbal with you.

Landing on Eve and returning should be 1000 points instead of 150

I was thinking about that. Theoretically it should, but it will break scoring system. People would try to make all different goals, make as small ships as possible, and one would come with giantic ship to land on Eve and become first on scoreboard. Eve is awesome achievement to do, but is not main thing in this challenge. That's reason why Tylo has higher rating (thinking about further increase) than Eve and everything else. It is goal to land on all moons, so every bonus moon should make most important difference. I will try to balance it as challenge will be going.

Gool luck everyone, who is doing, thinking-about or planning his attempt!

Ok, I did the challenge, but didn't bother to set up communications whilst I was at it, for a few reasons (I had only about 40 m/s of delta-v when I got a collision course with Kerbin). Anyway, I'll try to post pics soon. I did actually have Jeb on board, and he was the only Kerbal to the four inner planet moons: Mun, Minmus, Ike, and Gilly.

Ok, I did the challenge, but didn't bother to set up communications whilst I was at it, for a few reasons (I had only about 40 m/s of delta-v when I got a collision course with Kerbin). Anyway, I'll try to post pics soon. I did actually have Jeb on board, and he was the only Kerbal to the four inner planet moons: Mun, Minmus, Ike, and Gilly.

Good job! As I already stated, it's all hard to plan. Can't wait to see pics. :wink:

Im Gonna try it!! This is my first challenge on the KSP fourms, so hopefully it goes well!

Nice to hear that! Don't underestimate Delta-V, dV tables lie about interplanetary burns, I have used twice more fuel than I expected. Welcome to forums anyway!

I tried doing this with RO, not for a score obviously, but to inspire other people. The result was a rocket that had 402 parts and weighed ~88370t and it crashed the game when I tried to load it in VAB. And despite all this effort I don't think it would have worked anyway. Besides the fact that designs that require 100m tall fuel tanks aren't generally likely to work, I also don't know if 21 years of life support (14 if I added a third crew member, which would be somewhat necessary) and ~7000m/s dV would be enough. I had no plan, I just winged it, like in the old times when I didn't have KER.

Still, designing it was the most fun I've had in KSP for a while. Thanks, OP.

[Picture removed due to rule violation]

Edited by Niemand303
Rule 2.2

Well I have just done level 3 on the Jool 5 challenge and after doing so I was left with around 6000Dv spare in the mothership and a 2000Dv lander that is fixed on a 5000Dv tug...

I think I may have enough spare Dv to do the level 3 challenge for this one...

I'll give it a go maybe in a week, I'm a bit burned out from the Jool 5 mission right now.

Well I have just done level 3 on the Jool 5 challenge and after doing so I was left with around 6000Dv spare in the mothership and a 2000Dv lander that is fixed on a 5000Dv tug...

I think I may have enough spare Dv to do the level 3 challenge for this one...

I'll give it a go maybe in a week, I'm a bit burned out from the Jool 5 mission right now.

I am sorry to say that, but rule 7 says that I don't accept Grand Tours and Jool-5 entries. I want people to do it for this challenge, not realizing in half of another challenge that they can do my at the same time. I am now thinking about whether to change that rule or not.

Interesting idea, kinda midway between the Jool 5 and a Grand Tour.

When 1.0 comes out I'm thinking of starting an "all challenges all the time" LP series, and this looks like a fun one!

Good luck and be careful, it is harder than it looks like! :wink:

So I have a ship for this, but so far having some separation issues... It's only ever going to do the Mun, Minmus, Gilly and Ike moons. Need to solve why it explodes when I separate from the final launcher stage. But it will seat 27 Kerbals!

I got to Gilly as my first stop, and it exploded killing all crew when I staged the big boy. Haven't yet retried. And yes the fuel lines from the lander cans are a mistake.

tKogWLJ.png

FlipNascar: 27 Kerbals? Wow! Remember Kerbal have to land to get points for his participation in your mission. Good luck figuring out what's wrong with that staging. As you can see, even Level 1 is kind of achievment :).

I am sorry to say that, but rule 7 says that I don't accept Grand Tours and Jool-5 entries. I want people to do it for this challenge, not realizing in half of another challenge that they can do my at the same time. I am now thinking about whether to change that rule or not.

Ah, I meant start a whole new mission for this challenge, not continue the old one. That one has ended and all the kerbals are back in the astronaught complex. I landed with a full tank of fuel though so there was plenty of spare capacity in the craft I designed.

If you meant the design would be disallowed, for my Jool 5 I used old station parts and lifters and just repurposed them anyway. I don't really design new craft much any more as there is usually something lying around that will do the job. I have the 'high Dv' design the 'high TWR' design and so on. My lander couldn't have much of a design change, it's pretty minimal.

I can't see me changing the design much if I did redesign it from scratch, It has to be aerodynamic due to launching in FAR, the tylo lander has to have a certain amount of Dv which means staging so I would leave the last stage of that lander to be the lander for all the other moons except Laythe where I'd make a jet lander with a chute. I'd carry a bucketload of fuel, around 3 of the largest tanks with nuclear thrust. I'd use the ALCOR capsule as it has a great IVA. To save fuel I'd have a small tug which would ferry the lander to and from the planet's low orbit area.

A lot of time in the VAB would end up with the same design so if that one will not qualify I'll wish you well in your challenge. If it would then it's halfway though being assembled in orbit as we speak.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.