X-30 ssto

All you need to improve this desing is switch out the engine for a turbojet and two of the tiny radial mounted engines at the back and I'm sure with a bit of determination you could get to a trajectory that only needs tiny amounts of delta v to circularise. I can have a proper look tonight and see how it can be improved by flying it. Unfortunately I have to work on weekends :mad:

Tweety

Edit:what mods are you using? it looks like there's something funky on the fuselage towards the rear.

Edited by Tweety

1. one shock cone is not enough. you want at least 3 units of intake air per engine (shock cones are 1.2 units) to get to sub orbital hypersonic speeds.

2. one engine, even a turbojet, may not be enough for that design. you want a TWR > 1.00

3. imo rapiers may look nice and neat, but they produce little thrust, and have a bad specific impulse on the rockets. i personally prefer turbojets/nukes/48-7s

Got bored and had some fun modifying your craft. This would be the first steps i'd take at making a more capable SSTO. Switched the rapier engine to a jet/atomic combo (use action groups 1 and 2). Did heavy work on the back end to accommodate the new engine configuration. seeing as its heavier the center of lift needed to be shifted back and decided to cluster the intakes in the back while i was at it. Left the front mostly untouched but that would be the next area i'd work on. Just did this rather quickly for fun. Use or discard it if u want.

Download

Screenshot

All you need to improve this desing is switch out the engine for a turbojet and two of the tiny radial mounted engines at the back and I'm sure with a bit of determination you could get to a trajectory that only needs tiny amounts of delta v to circularise. I can have a proper look tonight and see how it can be improved by flying it. Unfortunately I have to work on weekends :mad:

Tweety

Edit:what mods are you using? it looks like there's something funky on the fuselage towards the rear.

I'm using

'>Ven's Stock Revamp and FAR. Those are solar panels, see picture number 4
how did u get the red stripes on the flaps?

Those are the retextured ones from Vens Stock Revamp, mentioned above.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.