Elcano Challenge - Attempted circumnavigation - Overland's Thread (Multi Class Landliner Trains)

Overland

That glowing hood problem is quite disconcerting. Heat, while MUCH better in 1.0.4 than 1.0.2, still needs some tweaking and bug-fixing. However, at least things in the present system USUALLY tend to stabilize at some less-than-fatal level, even if they glow and have thermometers on them.

As to the precoolers, they are just a new 3rd version of a 1.25m fuselage/fuel tank/air intake. They don't really do any cooling. Their advantages over the older fuselage/fuel tank/intakes are 1) they have straight sides so it's easier to radially attach stuff to them, and 2) they have less drag due to no protruding parts or bulging sides.

Thankyou everyone for the recomendations and advise, it was very helpful in diagnosing the problem and slaying this breed of kraken..

it would seem trains naturally tempt him more than most vehicles but..

Thankfully.. this one turned out less to be a random kraken..

This breed was baited by operator error

the "Driver randomly editing configuration files for better performance" kraken :confused:

"EmissiveConstant" A value I figured would be good higher than usual along with everything else in the generators when I was re-modding them for better performance prior to 4003s launch.. I put the value to 1.7.. it was 0.6 default..

From my research ive now done it seems that this is actually the value that governs the radius of radiated heat from the engine..

4003 in the past suffered from the same.. her wheels would glow at the front and other things would heat up horribly but not to the point of 4004s issues..

what saved her was having 6 radiators as part of the design.. where 4004 only has 2 between the wheels under the cab..

Essentially what was happening.. it was as though the entire front of the locomotive where the engines were... was being microwaved or grilled over a coal BBQ..

which eventually included her wheels and just about everything forward from the cab..

Hence locomotive-au-glowstick..

I went into the configuration files.. edited 1.7 to 0.6 (default)

Once daytime came around..

I was greeted with something beautiful

tKmyFp6.jpg

The ink-black nothingness where a tree would appear at random.. get an annoyed horn blast then disappear.. turned into a beautiful forest in the light of kerbol..

(Although the wisdom of blasting airhorns at trees is somewhat questionable)

0sGPWNL.jpg

Everything seemed to be normal once again.. 4004 gave up her dreams of featuring in a rave as a diesel-electric giant glowstick..

sudden explosions and death now became a lesser threat from immediate.. to possible future normality

It would seem.. atleast for now 4004 is safe to resume her journey

Some further progress to finish off the morning that turned afternoon.. 17.5km to make around 89.5km from the wreck of 4003.. Getting close to 100km from KSC now.. the terrains taking on a familiar tranquility.. made more beautiful by the terrain scattered trees at a harmless 100% graphics setting

c6eHd9O.jpg

Mostly smooth terrain.. the job for the driver in this section of terrain is simply to monitor speed.. shutdown one engine.. have the other near idle and watch the terrain roll by.. All realtime.. I wouldnt use time acceleration for any reason.. nor have I ever..

LZvkO2w.jpg

All this would be missed.. some things.. are worth taking time to appreciate :)

9n1rs8t.jpg

A long way to go.. 4004s dwarfed by the seemingly endless mass of green.. distance isnt a problem.. times like this make it all worth it

8ObhFkh.jpg

4003's Wreck was the first major flag to be planted (that wasnt ran over accidently) sitting 12km from KSC

PSsZHJ6.jpg

Finally at 89.5km away from 4003s last position, 100km from KSC or so.. we shutdown for the day..

The hood again starting to glow.. but not as much as before :)

HxuqeF1.jpg

Hmm.. that does look impressive :) I look forward to it.. thanks for the rep by the way too :)

I gather you cant collide with them no? they make me nervous I tend to change course JUST incase.. after an angry blast of the horn.. as far as I know they dont have any physical properties so rather harmless. but they worry me.. closest ive ever been to hiting one is when 4004 managed to slip though 2 of them side by side

They do look beautiful. if a tad..big but I get that. their ment to be seen from high altitude when entering the atmosphere not scurried under by a train or porcupine class roverjet in your case :)

Weekend Update - 113km Driven - 1/4 Way to North Pole

(Trialing an atmospheric scatter mod.. hence the blue in the distance.. its not perfect though)As the weekend draws to a close, Ive just finished 4004's final drive for the night.. an impressive 101km from 4003s last position.. 12km from KSC roughly

(no flag at KSC)

I'll install a flag at KSC tomorrow and let 4003s wreck rest in peace rather than be used as a navigation point

g9bUGXQ.jpg

4004s undertaken 5 drives from saturday morning till sunday night

Still open land with smooth flowing curves..

nothing too extreme if course is corrected.. currently driving around a small mountain range the long way.. speeds staying nicely around 30m/s with near idle..

wurWFcP.jpg9aGFznT.jpg

when we approach inclines once the speed drops to sub 25m/s engine #2 is restarted and 4004s twin detrioit engines generate and pump 115 units of monoprop transmission medium into the wheelsets of the locomotive..

0k8t4e3.jpgAll up.. absolutely enjoyable.. 100% realtime and a pleasure to experience..

Thankyou to everyone that commented previously too.. youve been an inspiration when things are going good..

and helped keep the spirit alive when things weren't going so well

I'll update through the week with hourly drives after work - I travel 2.45 hours by train from work.. so its off the train with rails and onto landtrains when I get home..

I love it :) many wouldnt.. but I do

Edited by Overland

Placeholder for tonight 40+ done this morning.. including some short hood first driving..

i'll update when I get home tonight..

nearing 4008s last known position :) going to take a screenshot nearly identical..a few months apart with different trains.. really nice to see :)

gLReqyS.jpg

Oh, perfect. Overland's already made trains. With working joints. Damnit. Time to focus on a new project.

- - - Updated - - -

Actually, let's build trains together!

• 3 weeks later...

LONG OVERDUE UPDATE!

Never fear! Ive been driving and still going just havent had the time to stop by the forums between real life, work.. and driving.. ive taken many screenshots that i'll have to upload at weekend along with a long story....

I'll post a little details here but trust me when I say its only a slight summary on whats going on.. the real story is as usual, touching.. emotional.. happy.. and as always.. an honour to be a apart of.. im waiting slightly too for the update to 1.1 due to them 2 windowed passenger pods would make GREAT passenger cars for engineering crew... that as I found out recently are needed more than I envisioned..

4004 herself remains intact although slightly wounded.. shes missing the rear mounted fan air intake after a roll-over incident that thankfully she survived only losing parts I can replace such as a single horn.. 1 of 2.. and a hood mounted headlight of which she has many and easy fixed with KAS/KIS and an engineering crew..

She landed on her side damaged but serviceable.. and was able to be righted with some creative and far too long attempts with see-sawing a multi ton locomotive on the head of a kerbal while the other pushed it from the other side like a mad insect flying around an upset nest..

Unfortunately... the train.. eg.. the tankers didnt survive.. leaving the locomotive with no fuel in her tanks and just battery power for lights, beacon and air for horns

j0XEikA.jpg

As the light grew dim, thankfully with electricity power still in effect.. her flashing beacon was set to permanently on.. light was provided for night time operations of recovery.. and flag planting... once a crew member stopped rolling horribly down the hill threatening to invoke the kraken

hxsoRQl.jpg

With a full inventory of things that go bang.. we set about detonating any remaining part of the tankers to clear the terrain for landing and ease of working

jP2GhSy.jpg

A strange idea occured to me that... I could.. deliver.. tankers for a train.. via rockets.. I know.. strange right?.. I mean who flys rockets in a train simulator.... despite the high level of strangeness.. it was met with an increased degree of success

This.. had strange repercussions in real life as on the way home from work I saw a coal train and envisioned what one of the 100 ton coal hoppers would look like flying through the air.. it provided lolz ammunition for quite some time... :/

HqJSYnV.jpgHkn9riw.jpg10peqVJ.jpg

In a series of interesting extensions to this avenue.. ive unfortunately had to bid greetings and farewell to a replacement unnumbered locomotive based off the early landliner series.. she would have resumed the elcano challenge while 4004 was fixed in the field before departure once again..

Positioned under a working airfoil with jets attached.. the replacement loco actually was flying quite well and ontrack to meet 4004 and her crew.. the problem though became apparent and terminal..

0zTRhdd.jpg

unknowingly I was using 2 at turbojets at full power and on the locomotives internal fuel tanks.. all removable once she landed.. and landed she did... around 50km short of her destination... out of fuel and unable to forfill her mission.. becoming yet another train stuck in the middle of nowhere..

BMqdJLy.jpg

The sadness was great but realism factored in.. 4004 herself is the priority. she has history and a purpose.. forfilling her role with grace.. all of which this replacement locomotive lacked..

once it was accepted that this new locomotive was unable to proceed.. she much like booster 1005 before her.. became a sacrifice to the kraken.. via C4 charge.. followed shortly by her crew.. now stranded without train or supplies in the green expanse.. yet another unexpected emotional moment in this great adventure that is the elcano challenge

Edited by Overland

Part 2: Update

With 2 tankers now delivered to 4004 empty.. and the locomotive herself righted via a few sore heads of kerbals..

the problem was not so much getting a new tanker train.. but getting enough fuel to resume once 4 tankers were delivered and coupled...

sure I could have educated myself with lander protocals, procedures and a very moon landing un-train like fashion launched a rocket.. parachuting a massive tank nearby the train and using KAS hoses to fill up the wagons.. but it all seemed.. so.. anti-land train.. anti-overland.. and just plain evil :)

After a long search for solutions that were more along the lines of... my thing..

I accidently found something interesting that caught my eye..

Drivable battery trucks mod.. them little yellow things you see in the SPH... and parked around KSC..

the mod features an IVA.. multiple parts.. tanks.. and coupled with wheelsound mod.. and some changes to the config file so they dont go light speed

(someone forgot to put a space in a line)

they actually become a pleasure to drive with my steering wheel and pedals.. serving as tankers with the ultimate aim of filling up 4004s tankers to get her back underway

with some good driving music.. eg..

a star or target to aim for.. and everything blurs wonderfully into a new experience.. all the while knowing every efforts being made in honor of 4004 and getting her back underway

its not outside of the KSC/KTP head canon.. they serve as.. err.. maintainence trains.. track machines.. or...

a tad shamefully.. yes its a truck .. im driving a damn truck.. but shhhhhhhhh.. I feel bad enough already :)

u7UvIdJ.jpgFevvfXn.jpg

They quickly formed their own place in the grand scheme of things.. driving from KSC (again) to 4004 around 170km away.. the route they're taken is likewise.. through the wrecks of lost trains. 4003 and her sistertrains.. being every bit as emotional and deep as it was the first time we passed through these wrecks paying tribute to the fallen..

6enITkw.jpg

they became more than just maintenance trucks.. or rescue vehicles quickly cobbled together.

theyve become one with the fabric of the elcano challenge...

and of course.. a few became wrecks too adding too the clutter.. before I finalised a workable design that didnt explode because its far too long..

xseXiyz.jpg

(Mark 2 passing by the wreck of 4003 and her fallen sistertruck in the foreground)

currently 50km from KSC on the way to 4004 with a few hours driving to go..

things have been a bit busy lately in real life so.. im hoping to use the multiplayer mod or 1.1 update if applicable to enlist the help of a friend locally

so we may drive in a formation of 2 trucks.. i'll update when I can.. but I assure my readers and fans.. nothings been given up..

this like many others becomes another chapter in the grand elcano challenge :)

Edited by Overland

• 1 month later...

Greetings everyone!.. Nope nope nope! ive not given up.. died horribly or forgotten about this or anyone in this thread..

infact its on my mind quite alot.. :) I took a break from posting due to losing another 4 trains in system crashes, lost saves.. general bugs and suchlike.. so I decided id wait until the engine update and a new PC to further resume things publicly..

I have been driving though.. even developed a decent coupling thats 95% stock yet flexable.. using an octo strut behind the docking ports.. add to that ive changed the locomotive wheels to turn 45 degrees at 10m/s which while might seem excessive gives the locomotives the flexability they need for shunting..

Luckily I use a steering wheel as any of these new steering modifications result in an instant roll over if one is to use the keyboard :)

On a sad note.. as mentioned in the title of this post.. 4426 made her maiden run last week.. up from 4410 to 4412 when I last posted..

40 class have also had their fair share of problems. explosions from overheating before the bug was fixed mainly being the cause.. landscape littered with enough trains to reach half way to the mun... and more to the point.. none outside of 100km..

for the elcano challenge such a pityful distance is hardly worth mentioning..

the biggest killer though has been trains randomly exploding and coming apart for no good reason when transitioning terrain loading points.. something I cant plan for nor avoid hence the wait for update on kerbal space program's engine..

I'll leave this chapter here momentaryly until the new PC with a nice video of 4016 coming home after a long 80km drive.. always an emotional time.. coming home with no damage.. a crew thats alive.. finally powering down the locomotive..engines stop.. lights shut off as the soul of the locomotive goes into hibernation for the next challenge.. with a large possibility that it might be her last safe return home.. always something to be treasure

And to spacetraindriver.. I see your locomotive in your signatures grown a few features.. keep at it mate she looks beautiful :)

try also using that cheat menu that allows you to make nodes not so picky. I mount the air intakes upside down.. they look like fans then :) work the same though.. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Havent had time to look at your post yet KMC, I will today :) your new couplings sound promising too.. I was going to work on a proper land train mod as ive been investigating how the real land trains turned so safely.. the front wheel of each wagons connected to the coupling of the next.. so everything turns in time.. but their a different beast entirely from the railway inspired ones we drive.. kerbal doesnt need one though.. :)

I been researching these for a while but these videos I found more recently

logging version : shows the steering couplings

mark 2 US army version in action.. never seen this in action like this before now :)

im actually considering seriously paying a well known modder for a Kerbalised version of the mark 2.. to be released freely to everyone when its done.. Id just love one and dont have the time to make one myself

Edited by Overland

Managed to catch a wheel failure while recording for the first time..

with 2 years of land train driving experience (real world time) I know the signs well and how to react.. Thankfully no one was harmed ... kerbalkind or locomotive

The above video is a snippet of a larger video I created showing most of the run.. basically a day in the life of 4016 and her crew..

for all the crashes, deaths.. problems and impressive failures.. it occured to me ive never quite shown a train its native environment.. not just a nice flat space thats safe to video

conquering hills and down grades.. engine generators working like they should and just all up everything going well.. for better or worse

A day in the life of 4016 (including the above wheel failure and repair towards the end)

its in these moments of beauty, deceptively calm as they might be, that the magic happens that keeps me bonded to the journey and indeed the trains themselves.. as the kilometres click by.. a train always becomes more than as mass of spaceplane and modified moon rover parts.. each locomotive and train is unique and as their own personality.. at the end of a successful run.. having her home safely means the world.. every kilometre is earned rather than simply driven.. atleast for me.. this is beauty.. quite unexpected when I purchased KSP so long ago

Most of the music I use during runs come from Arn Andersson's own account (composer)

the ones in this video are:

Dispersion

Farewell Life

No music is ever.. queued to happen at specific times..

when its seen that the music swells just as something dramatic happens.. thats just how it is..

all part of the magic :)

The whine you can hear is the traction motors that are powered by the engine generators.. it uses rover wheel sound mod I always use but generally edit the file to sound less audible..

https://kerbalstuff.com/mod/224/Rover%20Wheel%20Sounds

its for 0.25 but works fine in current versions

Edited by Overland

A small update in that small ever shrinking time between work finishing.. getting home and bed :)

Not so much any progress as it is a workable idea..

In real life railway companies and locomotive factories oftern do a "power transfer" train.. eg.. a train full of locomotives.. its an idea that appealed to me on the way home from work thinking about KTP/KSP especially since any dedicated long distance progress is in a holding pattern within 90km of KSC until I get my new PC...

progress has to be slow.. saved oftern and diverted from mainline operations to... something akin to all stations services where progress is slow.. but dedicated and with a purpose for the greater good

ive brought out all 3 active locomotives into the yard.. 4016, new 4017 now operating as a yard shunter with rear light addition.. and 4426..

its quite rare for a locomotives future sister train to be present when her current class mate isnt scattered in 100 peices somewhere on the landscape.. but everything changes.. sometimes for the better.. in the hope that its simply not a jinx to 4016s future.. :)

class numbers mean a new locomotive takes up the torch and carries on.. a new start and a new hope.. sadly its always been so because of a loss of a sister locomotive before her..with her crew becoming nothing more than names on a board and the increase in class number both an honour and a loss to the cause..

its a hard convention to go against... so much history fighting against it.. but.. worthy of a try

Its with all that in mind that I plan on weekend to take a power transfer train consisting of lead locomotive 4016, 4017 and trailing locomotive 4426 along with 1 tanker atleast as far as former bombo outpost, 80km from KSC.

drop off 4017 and proceed further to the last progress point.. the site of much problems, system crashes.. derailments.. explosions.. and achievements.. in sight of that beautiful snow capped mountain and drop off 4426 before returning 4016 to the yard..

as of yet its my dearest hope they wont be needed.. but in these days where nothings certain.. having a locomotive nearby rather than back at KSC provides some comfort and inspiration thats badly needed :)

GJ8K6Ka.jpg

3 locomotives lined up in the yard ready for departure on weekend... its as beautiful as it is disheartening.. knowing full well its likely one of the first and last times all 3 of these locomotives are seen together.. all operational.. untouched by the savageness of kerbins terrain and the everpresent kraken..

I cant help but compare it in some way to a military photo prior to battle..

Edited by Overland

I know! Those crew cabins! They are PERFECT for my Practe Series (AKA smaller stock versions of your majestic machines)! I love making power transfer trains, the noise, the power, ALL the locomotives! Too bad I cant see them pics now cause school. :( But I'll check later. I even tried this, but clipping into the ground got in the way. :/

Dont you just hate it when things... go so well.. that you pretty much ignore the world..

Until it doesn't go so well then you realise what you got yourself into isnt so nice after all?

Thus is the story of 4016 and crews local run today.. one initially just ment to be a test run on some updated texture work and slight engine tuning before the power transfer mission

Where she ended up was rather different.. . 80km from KSC at Bombo or 64km by mission report.. in anycase that oasis like beach in the middle of nowhere that ive used in the past as a stabling point for all manner of trains..

regrettably it seems either due to my higher graphics settings.. terrain updates or suchlike.. this little former safe haven with its flat sand protected by a crater type surrounds now has become just a tiny lifeboat in a very rough very hostile surrounding sea.. the eye of a hurricane of terrain the kind that seems to love eating wheels even on reinforced trains designed to withstand and have withstood such impacts in the past without fail

P7c6O9B.jpg

4016 sets out with a 3 car fuel train.. not expecting any long distance travel.. infact 3 cars is overkill but were required to test the torque and speed adjustments vs the mono propellant generation and use...

Sporting newly adjusted radiators to seem less.. i-locomotive in an apple sense.. a slight modification to make them grey..

Everything was going well.. infact I got a few epic shots where the camera was panning out from pass view..

Todays music was also a more spirited soundtrack lacking the usual emotional impact and sorrow that ignites one to be more careful.. nope..

todays choice was.. The soundtrack to the Great Giana sisters twisted dreams in all its uplifting glory (forcing one to be a tad heavy on the speed)

Everything was just.. perfect.. the 2 detriot engines that make up 4016s generation system.. a constant on the 40 class locomotives were happily reverberating with each other in a hypnotic way.. hitting a sweet spot of timing that happened when I started each engine seperately and 5 seconds apart.. every so oftern theyd link up and produce a noticeable deep sounding chug for a few seconds that protrayed less of the their detriot bus engine origins and sounded like an overworked yet beefy sounding shunter powering up a grade..

The harmony and symphony made it difficult to want to power down the engines, undertake a full 180 degree turn and head back to KSC as originally planned.. indeed even as the sun started to set.. she powered on towards the KSC2 marker

94CcdtU.jpg

As things do in KSP generally.. and especially Kerbal Train Program ala Kerbaliner trains.. when things are good their very good.. but when something gets ignored. disregarded. or even overlooked in aid of progress.. things start to go wrong horribly.. taking on a personality of their own like a darkening cloud slowly surrounding our beloved craft and crew

It wasnt long until we had out first failure... in the darkness it started to get more difficult to see drop offs and while running at close to 50m/s 4016 herself took it in her stride with the assistance of SAS and RCS thrusters used for traction..

floating through the air harmlessly and landing like a cat on her feet.. a luxury not given to meer fuel tankers.. the last wagon hit the ground hard and the already reinforced tyre blew.. forcing all stop and bill to go out and repair it

jMOzYHd.jpg

Bad to Worse.. to man the life boats!

it wasnt too long after that things started falling apart.. at this point 4016 had upto 5 emergency stops to repair the same tanker.. sometimes the same wheel.. other times 3 wheels out of 4.. getting so used to the idea I seemed to be getting quick at the whole process as time went on eventually being nothing more than a momentary stop.. bill was stowed in the very same wagon as a brave passenger.. not needing to actually leap off the wagon but able to repair all 4 wheels hanging off the side of the door :D

Sadly that wasnt the end of it.. eventually the wagon seemed to have had enough.. and surprising to me personally given their level of reinforcement and lack of it happening before with the same configuration files..

A wheel actually broke off . bounced and flew away with a mind of its own.. leaving the battlescarred tanker wagon being a risk to the safety of the train as a whole... for the greater good it was abandoned

Lf6fA2z.jpg

Updated terrain.. increased graphics settings.. both?.. I didnt know which but 4016 had enough throttle changes and brake applications in the next 10 minutes than she'd had for the last 50km before it.. in the darkness I failed to realise just the scale of what was ahead.. 4016 found herself in a sea of chaos.. a violent typhoon of terrain.. hidden deceptively in the ink like blackness.. her headlights doing little to provide insight to the evils ahead..

*Enhanced screenshot to show terrain.. it was ink black*

8uUes7p.jpg

it was to be her undoing.. ;.;

flying through the air at a perilous list.. she slammed down and hit hard.. very lucky that with the combination of RCS traction assistance.. internal gyro assistance and sheer luck with a hint of strategic brake applications she survived.. losing only a front wheel on one side... no explosions but a serious impact to her mobility and safety

3LyL0Qn.jpg

Had she been a bulldog class locomotive like a 44 class with a cab and a passenger pod in the nose.. she might have been quite fine to proceed. but a 40 class has 2 full fuel tanks in the nose.. supporting it on 3 wheels over uneven terrain was just asking for her cab windows to be filled with orange warm glow from the explosions ahead..

she'd come this far though and the safe haven of bombo oasis not being far ahead.. all we needed to do was get over the grade and coast down the side of the crater into safety of the flatlands and beach where she can wait for a repair train with KAS equipt wheel replacements..

The only viable option was to support her nose with the wheels of the following tanker.. reversing the engine and running short hood first..

Here lies the mistake of taking 4016 and not her revised shunting capable sistertrain 4017... as 4016 herself lacks one important feature.. simple yet critical..

a rear headlight of all things

Before that could be even considered as a problem.. there was another more pressing issue.. Shunting is difficult at the best of times being one of the better known kraken attractant on the face of kerbin..

This was shunting x10 difficulty... a damaged locomotive parked on a steep hill.. sitting unevenly on 3 wheels...

The whole thing ended up being a graceless unprofessional rush of physics vs practicality as 4016s nose was mashed into the docking port of the tanker until something connected... thankfully. connect it did..

AB5JnTG.jpg

.. with a degree of 4017 envy.. 4016's lack of rear headlight became very much evident as the pityful glow of her rear marker strobe set to LIGHT lit the ground as well as a candle tealight :cool:

8RcsZGJ.jpg

it was only then 4016 was given some clear air as things settled back again into a more familiar operational environment well trodden in the past..

infact pioneered by her much older original sister train. she was based on.. banking engine to the original 4408... D4001

it was time for DYNAMIC BRAKES... :D

Reverser slammed into reverse gear 80% power..

her engines were brought upto between 50 and 90% power.. 4016s twin detriot engines for the first time in quite a while roared with authority as they started generating power that the wheels were consuming... in reverse..

Slowing her descent in a graceful slow and safe run down the side of the wall that makes up bombo stations impact crater.. a moment very similar to 4408 & D4001s earlier quite heroic exploits earlier in this thread in a video

CSm0S07.jpg

Finally.. she hit level ground of the beach..

engines shut down

the dull roar of wind (or sea?) ambience I noticed ive never heard before made for a very haunting moment..

all the noise and challenges of just minutes before eventuated into a strangely beautiful yet saddening sight of shortened train down to just 2 wagons... a damaged locomotive and her crew .. everything was just... unnervingly still...like a calm night thats too quiet as if something waiting to happen none too pleasant..

9Jw0nvR.jpg

Thus ended 4016s "Local Run"

She'll sit there in safety until I can drive a truck there with KAS repair tools and hopefully we can get her back on the road or towed back safety to KSC where she can end her mission with class number intact..

So all up.. not exactly the power transfer I planned.. thats still to happen.. except now we're 1 short.. I'll leave trains stabled for a while to prevent a repeat and use horrible trucks :) its not as inspiring and open to secondary ventures

it was a fun 3 hours (despite what the mission log seems to say)

hwKKUTB.jpg

The plan now?

4016 featured in that earlier video of her coming home to the incidental soundtrack of Coldplay - Gravity..

in my mind thats become her signature "Home-Song" of sorts..

I wish to bring her home by any means possible.. coupled upto a maintainence truck.. towed home dead.. limping home on 9 wheels or even 1 landing gear in place.. whatever it is.. I want her home.. and feature in another video... a wounded locomotive coming home safely.. its sure to be a beautiful thing..

indeed a piano cover of that very same song will provide the perfect atmosphere

Edited by Overland

Since all your locomotive #s are 4000 I DARE you to make a 4000 class. (AKA the locomotive on my sig) AND call it 4014.

If you don't know...

https://www.up.com/aboutup/special_trains/steam/locomotives/4014/index.shtml

Y U NO KNOW?!?!

End of "in case you don't know"

It could be a heavy rescue locomotive, heavy hauler (I mean it was made for that!),etc.

Maybe not a total steam loco like, but something like it, with Big boy like statistics.

I'm sure you know what to do. :wink:

edited

Well yeah, bigger # but your, err, questionable, railway safety could really use a rescue loco still.:)

Edited by Spacetraindriver

• 2 weeks later...
A little update.. 4016 remains where she was left.. ive not had much time this weekend. and what time I did have I dedicated to [B]4427[/B] full mainline 44 class modeled more on her ansestor 4408 and 4404.. full EMD sound engine sings like a tree full of birds in the sunrise on idle.. roars like a lion at full throttle.. her horn modeled (with full permission from the author) on A leslie RS type horn similar to originally used in 4408s launch video..

All up shes a fully equipt mainline ready locomotive.. thats hopefully going to rescue 4016 eventually.. and I hope either 4427 herself or one of her close class mates proceeding will resume the elcano challenge.. im getting a new PC soon so shouldnt be too long.. it has a touch of legendary beauty.. that as class numbers approach [B]4428[/B] and again go back to the traditional 44 class.. the spirit of 4408 that originally started this adventure inspires it most.. exactly 20 in advance of her class number.. a celebration of what was achieved, what was lost.. and a great hope for the future

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/agt9u1n.png[/IMG]
Test run KSC yard video coming soon :)

@ Spacetraindriver..

I like the bigboy because of galaxy railways.. but..
if it comes to building big.. id prefer a triplex like this beautiful girl :)
[IMG]http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/el/loco/erie2603.jpg[/IMG] Edited by Overland

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.