The ROUND8 memorial thread - UPDATE: It's alive!

ShadowZone

The avatars for "Save the Lifesaver" are a hilarious way to demonstrate your support. Thanks, KSP Forum, for brightening my day. :)

We heart the lifesaver! :D

The main reason I'm supporting it is in my sig. Far from "redundant"; it's the only tank available that can share space in the stack with an engine. This makes for more compact staged designs than can be achieved with cylindrical tanks, and that's important in landers.

I'm cool with cloning it or retasking something else... but I use the round-8 and there's nothing else that can do what it does.

Best,

-Slashy

rjhGBHK.png

That lander was from my old 0.21.1 earwig Transport Erector Launcher :) it wouldn't be as compact without those round-8 droptanks - which would have resulted in a radically different launcher design :) (there was a battery and a 0.625m decoupler in the middle of those round-8 - and a fuel line attached from the battery to the spacecraft core fuel tanks)

thanks to this droptank design, it was able to circularize and make a mün landing from a free return trajectory - and by letting the round-8 droptanks & legs on the surface, could make it's way back to kerbin :P

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/51652-Earwig-Transport-Erector-Launcher-with-mün-rocket

Also, those round-8 perfectly fit inside the 1.25m decoupler ! - allowing for some classy escape systems entirely contained inside a decoupler (enough to guve a capsule emergency delta-V :P)

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by sgt_flyer

IDEA! SQUAD! Make another round8-like tank! Make it a dark green color, and have it be an xenon tank, then, we could keep both and all will be well!

I used the Round-8 to put the 48-7S and other tiny parts on larger tanks, usually 1.25m tanks (otherwise the 48-7s or whatever other tiny part seems to "float", but with the toroidal tank it is nicely tucked into the hole.) I think we should keep the Round-8 and make a new grey and yellow toroidal tank for xenon (going with the theme of other xenon tanks.)

There's no reason at all that Squad couldn't just add another part for the new Xenon tank. Don't get me wrong, I really like the idea of bigger Xenon tanks, but the Round-8 has a certain aesthetic quality and is good at adding extra bits of fuel to landers without increasing their size, or for being the main fuel tank for satellites. The Oscar-B is too small for most satellites anyway, the Round-8 was just the right size and made it look good as well.

I think that one more part clogging up the catalog is more than reasonable price to pay for the best of both worlds.

I think that one more part clogging up the catalog is more than reasonable price to pay for the best of both worlds.

I agree. While a 1.25 Xenon tank is desperately needed, the Round-8 fills a certain aesthetic niche in a lot of craft, it'd be a shame to see it only be usable in Ion probes, where you can't really use a lot for aesthetics anyways if you want to keep your TWR reasonably high.