What Are Things You've Heard That Made You Facepalm?

michaelsteele3

This is the actual cover of the homework planner our school gave us...

http://i.imgur.com/avcPCus.jpg?1

It says "21st" and looks very much like it's from the '90s. That's all I can see that's wrong with it, besides poor design. :sticktongue:
MY EYES, THEY BURN, ARGH.

Pfff.

20-year nostalgia cycle rule, peeps, it's the 90s revival.

Don't blame the graphist, he is spot on. Back then, the future was candidly seen as bright and colorful, and the Internet would undoubtedly make us better persons. No one ever foresaw the invasion of cynicism, and bittersweet "facepalm" threads.

Zeroes and ones as seen in 1993. How dated this sounds, eh ?

Intellectual dishonesty is what makes me smack my head the most. That usually entails being heavily influenced by ones bias and not being conscious enough to resist it, or at least be aware of it.

Examples are when people have a predetermined world view and use science to justify that world view and essentially cherry-picks the most convenient facts and willingly disregard everything else. For me, climate-change deniers really gets under my skin, because, most of the time, their bias is obvious.

I always say that your world view ought to be adjusted accordingly to the evidence of reality - and not the other way around. One of the biggest lessons is being thoroughly convinced that something is right, only to be proved that it is indeed wrong.

In a horrible kid-made Minecraft video (For some reason, watching them is quite entertaning... gives you something to make fun of), a helicopter crashed due to a lighting.

I then proceeded do the comments section and said that aircraft are protected against lightnings, so having a crash due to a lightning was quite unlikely.

A long time later, (just 4 hours ago), a dude called "Vader of gamers" replied:

"It was a helicopter not an aircraft"

In a horrible kid-made Minecraft video (For some reason, watching them is quite entertaning... gives you something to make fun of), a helicopter crashed due to a lighting.

I then proceeded do the comments section and said that aircraft are protected against lightnings, so having a crash due to a lightning was quite unlikely.

A long time later, (just 4 hours ago), a dude called "Vader of gamers" replied:

"It was a helicopter not an aircraft"

There was a case of I think it was a Bristow chopper doing the North Sea oil runs that went down because of a lightning strike. Golden BB and all that...

But more to the point. I was taking the ferry from Dover to Calais and while chomping down on lunch I overheard:

"Nah he's not that sort of skinny jean wearing queer. He's more normal queer. You wouldn't know he was queer..."

For me, climate-change deniers really gets under my skin, because, most of the time, their bias is obvious.

*gives scowling look*

Anyways, I think my most recent one is looking at the second page of google results for something. We all know they are devoid of life.

- - - Updated - - -

I'd like to remind the participants here of Rule 2.2b, which forbids discussions of a political, ideological, or religious nature. Please move the discussion away from these topics before sterner moderation measures are required.

Quoted for relevance. Just to make sure.

On the 16th, I got some terrible news about one of my favorite youtubers....

Nerdcubed's favorite Disney movie is... Frozen.

Hang on a second while I smash my face through a wall several times.

Here's the proof:

Unless he was being sarcastic.

It does have good music, tbh...

Although it does get too much hype.

*gives scowling look*

Anyways, I think my most recent one is looking at the second page of google results for something. We all know they are devoid of life.

- - - Updated - - -

Quoted for relevance. Just to make sure.

*Ahem* Climate Change isn't a political, idealogical or religious issue. Just because denialists make it one doesn't mean it is.

Let's not derail.

Here's mine, from a youtube video I just watched.

*BEGIN TRANSMISSION*

Warning you can not fix this. This is a virus from steam, something has been happening to certain games on steam where it breaks the game. Here are some examples this happens in unturned and in h1z1 the safe zone for battle royal has been messed up and in dead island games the zombies are invisible. This could be a virus on your computer or someone just hacked every steam game ever made, or something like that. Thanks for reading hoped this help. Ps: can't be fixed maybe talk to Nelson sexton about this.

*BEGIN TRANSMISSION*

Warning you can not fix this. This is a virus from steam, something has been happening to certain games on steam where it breaks the game. Here are some examples this happens in unturned and in h1z1 the safe zone for battle royal has been messed up and in dead island games the zombies are invisible. This could be a virus on your computer or someone just hacked every steam game ever made, or something like that. Thanks for reading hoped this help. Ps: can't be fixed maybe talk to Nelson sexton about this.

I think that this just succeeded a reverse Turing Test, I would think this is a primitive spam Markov Chain text generator if it wasn't for the fact that it was from youtube.

Let's not derail.

Here's mine, from a youtube video I just watched.

*BEGIN TRANSMISSION*

...I cringe.

So I'm sitting next to this kid in Graphic Arts class.

He makes fun of me saying that physics controls the universe.

Him: "And you were like, 'Physics is love, physics is life and all that stuff!'"

I then try to explain to him that physics controls everything in the universe.

Him: "Physics is physics, gravity is gravity, yadda yadda yadda."

Me: "Gravity is a PART OF PHYSICS. THEY ARE NOT SEPARATE!" By this point I'm nearly boiling over with anger at how [REDACTED] this kid is being.

Then the teacher comes along and tells us to quiet down and work.

I'm glad this kid isn't in any of my other classes yet.

Edited by UnionPacific1983WP