Multi-Player Concept: Mission Control / Kerbalnaut tag team

I've had an idea that i think would be great fun as a mode, not the entirety, of mutiplayer, when it comes out. My idea was that there would be a player who was a "kerbal" and a player who was "mission control". The mission control player would get all the stats and orbital info, and the kerbal would actually have to use the controls, going by what the mission control person says. The kerbal would be stuck in IVA mode, and maybe if squad ever releases advanced IVA's, then they would have accsess to that, as well as EVA's and collection science.The kerbal's navball would not have any targets or prograde/retrograde etc. markers, so the purpose of the mission control is not defeated. The kerbal would also not have altitude, speed, vertical speed, or atmosphere gauge, or anything else i'm missing. Both players would have to have a microphone, but that may be a given in the entirety of multiplayer. This would only be a mode of multiplayer, so players are not stuck in the real-life player to mission control gamemode. What do you guys think?

Edited by sumghai
Edited thread title for clarity, since there are many different paradigms for multiplayer

I liked it. But the basic instruments should be available for the pilot. However, the "only-IVA" thingy sounds bad. What really should matter for the mission control is the map view. Only mission control should be able to see the map view. Everything else the pilot could see, just like IRL. Also, it would be cool if the mission control was able to point the ship retro/prograde etc by clicking on the auto pilot icons, just like IRL. And even control thrust. So, like IRL, mission control could make some manoeuvrers, leaving the hard manoeuvers to the pilot (landings and entering orbit).

Edited by h4didact

I've had an idea that i think would be great fun as a mode, not the entirety, of mutiplayer, when it comes out. My idea was that there would be a player who was a "kerbal" and a player who was "mission control". The mission control player would get all the stats and orbital info, and the kerbal would actually have to use the controls, going by what the mission control person says. The kerbal would be stuck in IVA mode, and maybe if squad ever releases advanced IVA's, then they would have accsess to that, as well as EVA's and collection science.The kerbal's navball would not have any targets or prograde/retrograde etc. markers, so the purpose of the mission control is not defeated. The kerbal would also not have altitude, speed, vertical speed, or atmosphere gauge, or anything else i'm missing. Both players would have to have a microphone, but that may be a given in the entirety of multiplayer. This would only be a mode of multiplayer, so players are not stuck in the real-life player to mission control gamemode. What do you guys think?

This would make for quite the entertaining DMP stream...

This sounds like the PERFECT way to troll KSP pilots.

"Pilot to MC, uh, when did you say that suicide burn was? Mun's getting kinda close. Over."

"MC to Pilot. No need to concern - eta to suicide burn is still 50 second off. Over"

"Pilot to MC, are you SURE? Looks like my altitude is about 20k and dropping fast. Over"

"MC to Pilot, uh, that's a negative. We're reading you at 250K+ still. Be patient, Pilot. Over."

*poof*

The pilot should have means of orienting the craft precisely and the mission control should issue commands like - the next maneuver node in 7 minutes, duration of burn - 13 seconds, orientation - blahblahblah... It would be easier if we had real stars and constellations in the sky so that we could use spectrography and orient the craft by its readings. We could use planets instead. Really, the orientation of a spacecraft in space is the most challenging and interesting part in all this.

ummmm there is telemachus for that- all you will need is that, skype and maybe a small mod to transfer the map view to the MC guy but other then the last parts stuff like that did happen i know mechrior and syvos on twitch have done it a lot of times trying to go to mun using only telemachus and one of them was MC and the other was on IVA all the time

THis could be brilliant. More over, if you made it aware going in that if there's an instrumentation failure that could happen. That happened more than once in the Mercury program. During the first moon landing, Mission Control was worried that the lander was using too much fuel, what they didn't know was that the original spot was a boulder field and the crew had to quickly move to a new area.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.